Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

deoju posted:

Jason Momoa is perfectly cast. He's like the human equivalent of a Bernard Sheppard: Strong, big, beautiful, majestic, goofy, dangerous, lovable, terrifying, cute.

He gives Paul strength and heart by association and proximity without weakening him.

It was a really fun casting choice, particularly if more movies get made (they won't). I'm cracking myself up imaging Jason Momoa talking to a Jeff Bridges sandworm in God Emperor of Dune 5 years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is the one movie I might risk going to the cinema in October to see. Depends on case numbers and so on but I'm hoping Quebec will have things fully under control by that point.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jewmanji posted:

I’m not sure how that relates to whether Dune is “the simplest sci-fi book ever”?

They didn't say that. They said, "as straight forward as Sci-Fi gets," which is a bit overblown, but not absurd. Dune is setting up to explore a lot of big ideas but it's doing that through a pretty familiar story structure of heroic betrayal, redemption, and revenge. The plot of the novel, especially it's first part, is pretty straight-forward and easily understood, even easily predicted. And that's part of the point. Dune wants you to recognize the story it's telling you because one of the things it's trying to show you is the allure and power of that story.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Look up people with dark eyeball tattoos. That’s how it would read on the screen, dark blue, even full black eyes in dark scenes. Very alien and unrelatable which is not something you want out of half your cast probably.

When Herbert uses "blue within blue" to describe it often I always pictured something like the the super deep and rich layers of blues you see in old Middle Eastern bowls and some glasswork and stuff. With the sclera's blue color being a lot flatter looking than a typically moisturized human one but with the iris and pupil still being the darker and more prominent parts so that it still reads as a humanly expressive eye.

I go to bat for Lynch Dune all the time because I love it but the glowing effect of them there doesn't really convey it either, but I can understand the logistical nightmare of, like, having to either CG every single Fremen's eyes to how they're acting or also having to do some crazy custom contact lens for every on-screen Fremen actor so while I have a set idea in my head of how it "should" look I don't really mind the various attempts we've seen.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 23, 2021

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
When it comes to the spice eyes effect, my default mental image is pretty much always Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.

I have to wonder how much of that aesthetic in the book was inspired on that film's cinematography.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I imagine a lot, there's obviously a ton of plot similarity between it and Dune.

Though also, blues and greens figure into a lot of Islamic art, and I could see that being at least partially because those colors contrast with the natural environment in much of the Arabian peninsula. Mosques and other institutions becoming these blue/green oases makes a ton of sense for religious purposes; these colors otherwise evoke lush plant life or the sky itself. There'd be something transformative about those spaces, and something eye-catching about people wearing garments or accessories in those colors. I could easily see that developing mystical or holy associations in Islam going forward, and that feels like the kind of visual detail Frank Herbert would've run with when writing these books.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation

Xealot posted:

I imagine a lot, there's obviously a ton of plot similarity between it and Dune.

Though also, blues and greens figure into a lot of Islamic art, and I could see that being at least partially because those colors contrast with the natural environment in much of the Arabian peninsula. Mosques and other institutions becoming these blue/green oases makes a ton of sense for religious purposes; these colors otherwise evoke lush plant life or the sky itself. There'd be something transformative about those spaces, and something eye-catching about people wearing garments or accessories in those colors. I could easily see that developing mystical or holy associations in Islam going forward, and that feels like the kind of visual detail Frank Herbert would've run with when writing these books.

Yeah Herbert definitely took a lot from this, and even from the first book you'll see him describe Fremen as wearing green outfits during various spiritual matters/ceremoney like when in mourning/etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Roadie posted:

When it comes to the spice eyes effect, my default mental image is pretty much always Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia.

I have to wonder how much of that aesthetic in the book was inspired on that film's cinematography.

If you’re gonna do crazy eyes Peter otoole gotta go with the murder boner face

But yeah I also wonder how much of Dune was inspired by Lawrence of Arabia

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah Herbert definitely took a lot from this, and even from the first book you'll see him describe Fremen as wearing green outfits during various spiritual matters/ceremoney like when in mourning/etc.

I really hope we get the scene where Jamis' kids are uncomfortably okay with Paul murdering their Dad. Such a great look at Fremen psychology.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I wonder how many reference to oval faces there will be.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really hope we get the scene where Jamis' kids are uncomfortably okay with Paul murdering their Dad. Such a great look at Fremen psychology.

Will we get singing from Chalamet and Brolin?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The book describes spice addiction producing "blue-in-blue" eyes so I always imagine the whites of the eyes turning blue with the iris turns a slightly different shade of blue

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

Will we get singing from Chalamet and Brolin?

https://youtu.be/ILAJiOi0KWk

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ClothHat posted:

It was a really fun casting choice, particularly if more movies get made (they won't). I'm cracking myself up imaging Jason Momoa talking to a Jeff Bridges sandworm in God Emperor of Dune 5 years from now.

:same:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Automatic Slim posted:

Where's the Toto?

Africa.

Fun fact: One of the dudes from Toto is the son of the legendary composer John Williams.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ClothHat posted:

Jason momoa does seem like someone who could plausibly make a woman orgasm just from climbing a wall real good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation

deoju posted:

Africa.

Fun fact: One of the dudes from Toto is the son of the legendary composer John Williams.

He composed the ambient music loops on Jabba's barge in ROTJ and also did stuff like that for the prequels IIRC, I know specifically at least the background stuff around the diner scene in Attack of the Clones

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

AnEdgelord posted:

Jason momoa does seem like someone who could plausibly make a woman orgasm just from climbing a wall real good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Very alien and unrelatable which is not something you want out of half your cast probably.

:what:

Ccs posted:

This is the one movie I might risk going to the cinema in October to see. Depends on case numbers and so on but I'm hoping Quebec will have things fully under control by that point.

:same:
Re-re-re-re-re-re-reading the first book in preparation (of criticizing each and every variance from the source). I hate to go to the movies solo, so I am going to try to convince my wife to read the book, if only to keep her from asking me questions about what is going on during the movie.

Neo Rasa posted:

When Herbert uses "blue within blue" to describe it often I always pictured something like the the super deep and rich layers of blues you see in old Middle Eastern bowls and some glasswork and stuff. With the sclera's blue color being a lot flatter looking than a typically moisturized human one but with the iris and pupil still being the darker and more prominent parts so that it still reads as a humanly expressive eye.

I merely imagined them (and IIRC they were described in the book) as the whites themselves being turned piercing blue. The iris are still going to be their natural color, as they are not gel/liquid.

Does... does he have a zombie arm?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 24, 2021

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
E,F; DP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Re-re-re-re-re-re-reading the first book in preparation (of criticizing each and every variance from the source). I hate to go to the movies solo, so I am going to try to convince my wife to read the book, if only to keep her from asking me questions about what is going on during the movie.
Don't force a notoriously difficult book to get into on someone who isn't into it just so you don't have to answer questions about a movie. Be grateful your wife is wiling to go see the nerd movie with you and be wiling to answer her questions. If you really can't handle that then suck it up and see the movie alone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hasselblad posted:

Alex is insane and his arms are wild

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Hasselblad posted:

I merely imagined them (and IIRC they were described in the book) as the whites themselves being turned piercing blue. The iris are still going to be their natural color, as they are not gel/liquid.

Eyes of the Ibad are always described as blue within blue, the darker the more spice the person consumes. The Guild Navigator at the end of the first novel has eyes "a total blue so dark as to be almost black." A strict interpretation would mean most of the characters end up looking like Sam Weber's painting of Alia:

With maybe a bit more deep blue saturation. Most of the cast looking like demons would be a strange move for a big budget film.

Hasselblad posted:

Please, the preferred term is ghola.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I didn't hear any ululation in the vocals. Is anything from a Middle-Eastern or North African musical tradition verboten, despite the logical shorthand connecting them to the imaginary Fremen?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Steve Yun posted:

But yeah I also wonder how much of Dune was inspired by Lawrence of Arabia

I'm sure the film was an influence. Herbert cited Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph as one of his inspirations, and the film came out right around when he started working on the novel.

The other lesser-known Muslim rebellion narrative influence is The Sabres of Paradise.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Please, the preferred term is ghola.

:zombie:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

AnEdgelord posted:

My Own Private Idaho joke goes here.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Eyes of the Ibad are always described as blue within blue, the darker the more spice the person consumes. The Guild Navigator at the end of the first novel has eyes "a total blue so dark as to be almost black." A strict interpretation would mean most of the characters end up looking like Sam Weber's painting of Alia:

That's how I picture them. Having glowing blue eyes was fun in Lynch but c'mon you're in the desert at night. Hello, Sniper!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

phasmid posted:

That's how I picture them. Having glowing blue eyes was fun in Lynch but c'mon you're in the desert at night. Hello, Sniper!
Shields

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Are a good way to be eaten by sandworms.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Don't force a notoriously difficult book to get into on someone who isn't into it just so you don't have to answer questions about a movie. Be grateful your wife is wiling to go see the nerd movie with you and be wiling to answer her questions. If you really can't handle that then suck it up and see the movie alone.

Just force your wife to listen to the audiobook. They’re floating around YouTube all the time.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wizchine posted:

I didn't hear any ululation in the vocals. Is anything from a Middle-Eastern or North African musical tradition verboten, despite the logical shorthand connecting them to the imaginary Fremen?

Gotta keep the perpetual outrage machine going somehow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
[futuristic lamentation music]

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kassad posted:

Are a good way to be eaten by sandworms.

And be tickled with lasguns.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
go full Juno Reactor's God is God with the soundtrack imo.
Get some man vocals in there too. Give me a cyber-nasheed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

The two solos of Comfortably Numb during Paul's first spice essence binge.
(Hey, whatsisface wanted Floyd to do the soundtrack after all)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 24, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Just an entire soundtrack that sounds like Tales of the Future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwbr9EL0UJM

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
The new still suit / armor thing that Chalamat is wearing looks way to similar to the Snakes Eyes ninja suit in the new GI Joe’s, can’t unsee it. They’ve even got the same goofy visor that retracts back up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Should just unironically use some of the tracks from the old Cryo Dune game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Dune will still be streaming on HBOmax alongside its theatrical release, right? I really don’t feel like dying from COVID or, worse, getting long-COVID (I have relatives with this, and it’s not a pretty sight) from seeing this movie in a theater. My state is a hotspot full of anti-mask CHUDS… so, yeah…