Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Excluding sourdoughs my breville toaster oven does a way better job with loaves of bread than my big boy oven, and it also doesn't raise the temperature of my entire apartment by 12f.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

It pre-heats faster
Doesn't heat up the place as much
Mine has a convection setting

All this. I hardly ever use my big oven these days.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

dangling pointer posted:

e: I can’t remember if I got 1/4th size baking sheets or something smaller but a couple of those are nice to have. Check the dimensions on whatever model you end up with a order a couple that will fit.

Should I just stick to metal ones? I tried a set of silicone mats that said they were safe for use in toaster ovens a while back, but they made enough smoke to set off the fire alarms for a few seconds so I decided they weren't gonna be getting used.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElegantFugue posted:

Should I just stick to metal ones? I tried a set of silicone mats that said they were safe for use in toaster ovens a while back, but they made enough smoke to set off the fire alarms for a few seconds so I decided they weren't gonna be getting used.

Cheap 1/4 pans will work. Most come with a lightweight metal pan that warps pretty easily, so buy appropriately.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

ElegantFugue posted:

I’ve only used metal ones. You can use a piece of aluminum foil if your doing something messy like melting cheese on bread or whatever.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nthing the Breville Smart Oven recommendation. The use of my regular oven has dropped by 90% since I got it, and we seriously use the Breville around 4-5 times a day. Bagels, toast, waffles, chicken, veggies, frozen food...its performance is flawless.

Literally the only thing it hasn't done perfectly was a coffee cake in a full-size bundt pan, and that was a size limitation - the top (bottom) of the cake was too close to the element and browned a bit more than desired. It was still perfectly edible and got gobbled.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Breville smart oven is not $100 but it's very nice. Being able cook at two different temperatures (by using standard oven + toaster oven) is really cool and just having something to keep meat warm in while the vegetables are cooking is something I dont want to live without anymore.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I found a convection Breville on my local Craigslist for under $100 and another one on an auction site.

I'll get a Breville. And either budget be damned or keep looking until I snag a cheaper used one.

Thanks goons.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My only complaint about my breville smart oven air is that it rarely actually gives my bread any color unless I use the darkest toast setting. So if you really enjoy golden/brown toast a regular toaster outfights this one. It gets the right texture tho.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sextro posted:

My only complaint about my breville smart oven air is that it rarely actually gives my bread any color unless I use the darkest toast setting. So if you really enjoy golden/brown toast a regular toaster outfights this one. It gets the right texture tho.

Oh yeah, I forgot about toast, I don't own a toaster because the toaster oven does that job well enough for my needs.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm partial to the Panasonic FlashXpress as a less-expensive option to the Breville; it doesn't have an air fryer mode but is a tank otherwise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha holy poo poo woks are like double or triple price on Amazon now

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm partial to the Panasonic FlashXpress as a less-expensive option to the Breville; it doesn't have an air fryer mode but is a tank otherwise.

I have this and two of mine have broken in the past two years. The bottom bulb stopped working in both of them.

I’m also in the market for a toaster oven after my Panasonic died a second time and am looking for recommendations. A convection mode would be nice. We primarily use it for toast/bagels but I also use it to roast potatoes or veggies and tator tots

I had a breville oven before but it died in a move. It gave some error code and stopped working, so I’m hesitant to try another.

The air fryer/convection thing looks cool but I don’t think any of the ovens are big enough to make like 16 wings or so.

I tried a cuisinart model that wire cutter recommended and the controls sucked and were confusing.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

I have this and two of mine have broken in the past two years. The bottom bulb stopped working in both of them.

The bottom bulbs are a replaceable part, though - ABA83-17500U; it's a bit of a pain to replace but entirely doable if it burns out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"The bulb burnt out so just toss it."

"But sir this is your entire house!"

"I SAID TOSS IT."

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is one year a decent life expectancy for a part that costs 20% of the unit?

Asking because I’ve had other toaster ovens last years without the need for replacement parts.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Hey if anyone in the Seattle area wants to buy my 36" Bertazzoni gas range let me know, I'll cut you a deal

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/app/d/seattle-bertazzoni-36-inch-gas-range/7352368999.html

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sous Videodrome posted:

Hey if anyone in the Seattle area wants to buy my 36" Bertazzoni gas range let me know, I'll cut you a deal

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/app/d/seattle-bertazzoni-36-inch-gas-range/7352368999.html

Wrong coast or I'd be all over it. Are you moving to a place it doesn't fit or are you upgrading?

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised I've had no interest in the listing. It's been a really good stove. I upgraded to a Wolf, which is the only reason I'm getting rid of the Bertazzoni.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sous Videodrome posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised I've had no interest in the listing. It's been a really good stove. I upgraded to a Wolf, which is the only reason I'm getting rid of the Bertazzoni.

The Wolf built in range with the french top has been in my dream kitchen bookmark for years. One day..

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are all sharpening stones roughly equal? I'm seeing stuff ranging from 2 to 10 bucks, is there much difference between them besides coarseness?

e: Also thoughts on a 12x18 or 15x20 cutting board? It's only a 9 dollar difference. Is this like Instant Pots where no one has ever regretted getting the larger one?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 21, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bamhand posted:

Are all sharpening stones roughly equal? I'm seeing stuff ranging from 2 to 10 bucks, is there much difference between them besides coarseness?

e: Also thoughts on a 12x18 or 15x20 cutting board? It's only a 9 dollar difference. Is this like Instant Pots where no one has ever regretted getting the larger one?

Always always get the largest cutting board you can manage for the space. One of the fundamental rules I think.

Re: sharpening stones, I would think that the binding compound is different, maybe the nicer ones wear more evenly, not sure. The King KW65 kit I always recommend has been fantastic for me at home. I think you're paying for brand though generally, like if you went to a hardware store you wouldn't be surprised to see that different brand sandpapers of the same grit had varying prices.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Sous Videodrome posted:

If I had room for a 36", I'd be all over this.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

My kitchen scale died and I don't feel like buying one online are there any brick and mortars that sell something like an ozeri pronto?

I didn't see any I'd want in the walmart near me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Haven’t ever seen the Ozeri in a store. BBB should sell the OXO, which is the best non-commercial scale I have ever used.

Scales that I would choose to use over the OXO start at $150 through restaurant supply.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Hello kitchen equipment goons, I was directed here for blender questions.

I'm looking for a blender, primarily for smoothies but for general use as well. My budget is around $100 but I would like to spend less if possible. I'm looking at the Ninja Intellisense because it's decently priced and the reviews seem good.

https://www.costco.ca/ninja-intelli-sense-kitchen-system.product.100420916.html

Do you guys have any other recommendations, or what to look for when buying a blender?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sous Videodrome posted:

I'd jump all over that poo poo if I weren't 2000 miles away and have a 30 inch gap to put a stove in.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I won't lie I got a measuring tape out too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Terebus posted:

Hello kitchen equipment goons, I was directed here for blender questions.

I'm looking for a blender, primarily for smoothies but for general use as well. My budget is around $100 but I would like to spend less if possible. I'm looking at the Ninja Intellisense because it's decently priced and the reviews seem good.

https://www.costco.ca/ninja-intelli-sense-kitchen-system.product.100420916.html

Do you guys have any other recommendations, or what to look for when buying a blender?

I had a ninja blender and it was fine, probably not as smooth as I’d like but it got the job done. For sub $100 you can’t do much better, you don’t start getting into really solid, versatile, easy to clean blenders until the $200 range. The ninja blender I had was a bit of a pain to wash, but that would be my only complaint.

Also, if you’re using mostly fresh fruit (not frozen) I’ve had one of those $15 Hamilton beach smoothie makers and it worked great for that. Can recommend it for fresh fruit smoothies (or small amounts of frozen fruit, just don’t put them in the bottom of the cup when you start putting in your ingredients).

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Guyver posted:

My kitchen scale died and I don't feel like buying one online are there any brick and mortars that sell something like an ozeri pronto?

I didn't see any I'd want in the walmart near me.

When (if?) my Oxo dies I'm getting a MyWeigh Maestro. It was designed by Ruhlman and has gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews.

This doesn't answer your question, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

When (if?) my Oxo dies I'm getting a MyWeigh Maestro. It was designed by Ruhlman and has gotten overwhelmingly positive reviews.

This doesn't answer your question, though.
I'm still using a MyWeigh Ultraship I got in 2009 I think based on people's recommendations here. It's a bit bulky and probably not good for weights under an ounce or so but it otherwise works really well so assuming their quality hasn't gotten worse I would definitely recommend the company's products.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I had an amazon basics one last for years before dying, which I replaced with an escali that has been wonderful.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Escali primo works fine for me, I have a separate no name drug scale for 0.1g precision, only really need that for precise dosing of citric and malic acids.

Wife doesn't like the primo since it's wobbly so I'll likely get the maestro when it dies, thanks for the rec!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've seen a few people online saying deli containers are great for pantry and fridge organization, but is it really safe to put hot food in these and also throw them in the dishwasher?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I use them for food I'm giving away but I only store my food in glass if I can help it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

prom candy posted:

I've seen a few people online saying deli containers are great for pantry and fridge organization, but is it really safe to put hot food in these and also throw them in the dishwasher?

yeah op they're great. except for reheating leftovers in....they get a bit soft when they're hot.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Best buy has kitchenaid 5qt bowl lift stand mixers on sale today for $299 ($200 off):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitchenaid-pro-5-plus-5-quart-bowl-lift-stand-mixer-ink-blue/6424707.p?skuId=6424707

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

prom candy posted:

Some delitainers are not polypropylene (PP recycling #5). Those are not safe at high temperatures. PP can be pressure cooked, it's totally safe* to put delitainers made of PP in the dishwasher or microwave

*we live in a capitalist hell world, FDA standards may not align with your personal beliefs, etc.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Happiness Commando posted:

*we live in a capitalist hell world, FDA standards may not align with your personal beliefs, etc.

are they fully approved or only for emergency use? (sorry)

more questions, i want to get a stainless steel fry pan, why is this one so cheap? https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/our-table-stainless-steel-fry-pan/5551164?categoryId=22590&skuId=69641987

i also want to get some tall containers for my pantry (taller than delitainers), and maybe some cereal dispensers because my pantry is just absolutely hosed and it's narrow and deep and i hate it. should i just get OXO stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

encapsulated bottom instead of tri-ply, and the handle looks particularly cheap and will probably start wobbling. i’d spend the extra $15 for tramontina

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2021