Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I am excited for Battlefield 2042 despite V being awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I am excited for Battlefield 2042 despite V being awful

4 was a garbage fire for months after launch before eventually turning it around, 1 was just thoroughly mediocre and not much of a battlefield game, and V was somehow much worse.

everything they're showing us so far makes it seem like they've finally remembered why anyone played battlefield to begin with, and they're leaning super hard into the good old days, which is huge, great, baller, and also cool. but please, please don't for one second forget that dice is dice and the chances of them meeting their promises on day one are less than zero, an opinion grounded in nearly a decade of evidence.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Perestroika posted:

There is one weapon for assault where looking down the sights is fun and good: The double-barrel model 1900 with slugs. Beaning snipers from a hundred meters with that thing is just :discourse:

This is true. And one of the few things that V did better than I was that it had a break action triple barrel shotgun where the third barrel was a rifle barrel that shot a railgun round.

Anything else with BF1's Assault is basically "Screw aiming: Shove gun down their throat"

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

4 was a garbage fire for months after launch before eventually turning it around, 1 was just thoroughly mediocre and not much of a battlefield game, and V was somehow much worse.

everything they're showing us so far makes it seem like they've finally remembered why anyone played battlefield to begin with, and they're leaning super hard into the good old days, which is huge, great, baller, and also cool. but please, please don't for one second forget that dice is dice and the chances of them meeting their promises on day one are less than zero, an opinion grounded in nearly a decade of evidence.

If they get within even visual distance of meeting most of their promises day 1 this game will be amazing. They're really shooting for the moon on this one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Alkydere posted:

This is true. And one of the few things that V did better than I was that it had a break action triple barrel shotgun where the third barrel was a rifle barrel that shot a railgun round.

Anything else with BF1's Assault is basically "Screw aiming: Shove gun down their throat"

Yeah the drilling shotgun/rifle owned and jackfrags was a goddamn wizard with that thing. Was that in the weapons list for 2042 portal?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

priznat posted:

Yeah the drilling shotgun/rifle owned and jackfrags was a goddamn wizard with that thing. Was that in the weapons list for 2042 portal?

Although portal is clearly using some BF5 models for 1942, they haven’t said anything at all about BF1 or BF5 being available or any of the maps/guns from them.

I’d be shocked if they weren’t added later down the road but instead being time gated/less prioritized intentionally.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cyks posted:

Although portal is clearly using some BF5 models for 1942, they haven’t said anything at all about BF1 or BF5 being available or any of the maps/guns from them.

I’d be shocked if they weren’t added later down the road but instead being time gated/less prioritized intentionally.

Ohh right BFV wasn’t in there. I was thinking it was.

They better add the drilling for a big break action free for all mode.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I remember V, atleast from a technical sense, being in fairly good shape when it launched compared to previous titles.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Let’s not forget Battlefield 4 had connectivity issues for the better part of a year. Compared to that BF1 and BF5 had very smooth launches.

Bring back Battlelog. Hooah!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

Let’s not forget Battlefield 4 had connectivity issues for the better part of a year. Compared to that BF1 and BF5 had very smooth launches.

Mods???

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'd rather play a fun game that took a year to get its poo poo together than a boring slog that works on day one tbh.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, by far the most likely outcome is that this game is probably going to be a shitshow at launch, but it'll at least be a *fun* shitshow. BF4 was a technical nightmare as everyone's said but even the extremely glitchy and crashy beta was an absolute blast despite only having a dozen guns or so and one map with unfinished Levelution in it. Seven years later the game is still fun as hell and totally playable.

I have a feeling 2042 is going to be the same -- crunchy start, lasting playability.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 40 hours!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Bring back Battlelog.
do it

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, by far the most likely outcome is that this game is probably going to be a shitshow at launch, but it'll at least be a *fun* shitshow. BF4 was a technical nightmare as everyone's said but even the extremely glitchy and crashy beta was an absolute blast despite only having a dozen guns or so and one map with unfinished Levelution in it. Seven years later the game is still fun as hell and totally playable.

I have a feeling 2042 is going to be the same -- crunchy start, lasting playability.

I'm trying to remember what the issues were at launch with BF4 and I guess my mind erased that info but I do vaguely remember the one bug where if you used a particular weapon with an attachment combo you could mute the sound on everyone's clients.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

battlefield 1 launched without a way to quit the game between rounds. the bar is very very low

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
edit: lmao wrong thread

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's still there, it just only works about half the time, and then usually only during matches and in the little wind down afterwards

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

afkmacro posted:

I'm trying to remember what the issues were at launch with BF4 and I guess my mind erased that info but I do vaguely remember the one bug where if you used a particular weapon with an attachment combo you could mute the sound on everyone's clients.

IIRC the servers were pretty unstable, Battlelog often just didn't let you into matches, the client locked up while loading a bunch, and certain levelution events could just outright crash people's clients.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'd rather play a fun game that took a year to get its poo poo together than a boring slog that works on day one tbh.

I sort of agree with you, but the general gaming population now has no time for shot launches, even if the core game has promise or the developer has pedigree of coming good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
a mode where everything is the same but if you have a sniper rifle it spawns a tank on you and then despawns the tank

a mode where snipers only do 1 damage on a body shot but the headshot multiplier does enough damage to kill someone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Agutter posted:

battlefield 1 launched without a way to quit the game between rounds. the bar is very very low

I wrote a short powershell script and bound it to a key that just looked for the bf1.exe process and killed it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

afkmacro posted:

https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/QBU-88 + silencer :china:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

eonwe posted:

a mode where everything is the same but if you have a sniper rifle it spawns a tank on you and then despawns the tank

a mode where snipers only do 1 damage on a body shot but the headshot multiplier does enough damage to kill someone

A mode where snipers can only carry one bullet

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
A rush mode where it's two little birds against 124 players, but the players have no way to kill them, each Mcomm capture spawns a dart gun and launcher. No player respawns.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I’m only going to play those 2 bf42 maps with proper ww2 weapons and vehicles over and over again so i can create a wormhole that would send me back to 2002 so i can then play bf42 version 1.0 for the first time

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

FAUXTON posted:

A mode where snipers can only carry one bullet

And it's for their pistol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

eonwe posted:

Recon/Marksmen are fine. It's the 40x scope scrubs.

Like, someone with a Russian Trench lever action does work in BF1 even at close range (especially if Flares are involved. Also K-bullets are great for interrupting tank repairs).

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

toggle posted:

I’m only going to play those 2 bf42 maps with proper ww2 weapons and vehicles over and over again so i can create a wormhole that would send me back to 2002 so i can then play bf42 version 1.0 for the first time

Absolutely goddamn right

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

afkmacro posted:

Bringing down the skyscraper on Shanghai crashed a server 100% of the time. A bug that was NOT in the “open beta” (demo) version just prior to release.

Whenever someone started shooting the pillars everyone in the server started asking them to stop just in case the my were one of the few genuine people doing it that didn’t know what would happen.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I remember when BF 1942 launched moving the carrier would crash the server lol

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Julius CSAR posted:

I remember when BF 1942 launched moving the carrier would crash the server lol

And in similar fashion, when 2142 launched running the Titans into each other would crash the server!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I don’t remember having any issues with 4 once you actually got into a server. It was joining a game that was lovely iirc, and you didn’t even bother trying to join with a squad.

I’m sure it had other problems, but they didn’t leave an impression.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
It was in a bad enough state to generate an investor lawsuit against EA for misleading on the state and quality the game was in, it was thrown out of course. The game was drat near unplayable for some of my friends to the point where they swore off the series until V and then lmao

Edit: personally I would have to gently caress with Punkbuster almost every other day or else I'd get server disconnects

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 24, 2021

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

It was in a bad enough state to generate an investor lawsuit against EA for misleading on the state and quality the game was in, it was thrown out of course. The game was drat near unplayable for some of my friends to the point where they swore off the series until V and then lmao

Edit: personally I would have to gently caress with Punkbuster almost every other day or else I'd get server disconnects

maybe you shouldnt have been such a punk

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

knowing nothing about it other than WW2, I somehow completely dodged V despite playing the poo poo out of every other installment in the franchise

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

toggle posted:

1942 will always hold a very special place in my heart. I went to college in 2002 and went from 28.8k dialup to 5mb broadband in the dorms that was insanely fast for the time. There was a 3rd party website that monitored stats for the entire playerbase and I was ranked #52 in the world on the main leaderboard. I'd kill to be able to go back to that for a few days. I had always dreamed of a big FPS team game that included vehicles. 1942 was literally my dream come true at the perfect moment.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I liked that you could drive the aircraft carrier

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chronojam posted:

And it's for their pistol

ADS just puts the barrel in their own mouth

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I've only had bf4 since launch and I am steadily creeping toward unlocking the first silencer for the EMR, very exciting times

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Inspector Hound posted:

I've only had bf4 since launch and I am steadily creeping toward unlocking the first silencer for the EMR, very exciting times
Filthy DMR user spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Aggressive recon SKS in 3/4 was a ton of fun.

Mainly because it was a giant pistol that didn't have a ton of dropoff.