Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

seaborgium posted:

I just loved the line "What would you like me to tell your family?" Followed by the whole competing school packing up and just noping out of the tournament.

Yeah that really calm "You should drop out. You got about 90 seconds before I unmake you. What would you like me to tell your parents?" followed by him literally sending that kid to hell was absolutely amazing. Goddamn Brennan can be menacing and it really hammers home how horrifying someone who specialized in cursed attack magic would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Lou’s ability as hypeman is unparalleled. What a treasure of a human.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Lou’s ability as hypeman is unparalleled. What a treasure of a human.

He's never really played Bard on screen has he? He'd be great for that.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I've just started with Dimension 20. I powered thru Bloodkeep and I've started on Adventure High now. Brennan is just the best personification of 'Yes And', but the whole College Humour crew is amazing

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Moreau posted:

I've just started with Dimension 20. I powered thru Bloodkeep and I've started on Adventure High now. Brennan is just the best personification of 'Yes And', but the whole College Humour crew is amazing

'Yes and' is pretty much the only reason Gilear happens at all in fantasy high, funnily enough. It's amazing how quick the group adopted him.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Holy poo poo, I'm about halfway through Crown of Candy and Jesus Christ, Brennan is out for blood.

Siobhan crying "are we getting red - wedding-ed?" when they got ambushed by Ciobatta really got to me.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm still hoping they do a second season of Crown of Candy – the world building is so solid and we only see half of it. And the story, while darker than other seasons, is fuckin' great. In all the talk back shows they note how stressful it was, so imagine we're still a few seasons away from them tackling it again, but drat was it good storytelling.

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

DeathSandwich posted:

He's never really played Bard on screen has he? He'd be great for that.

Fantasy High Sophomore Year: After Fabian loses his champion subclass, he respecs as a battlemaster fighter/bard multiclass, and it rules.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
New Breaking News...Poor Raph, what did he do to piss off Grant?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I gotta say, I enjoyed Misfits and Magic as a Harry Potter parody/sendup but then I watched the Adventuring Party behind-the-scenes chats about them and Ep3 really kinda soured me on the whole series, there's some really bad hot takes in there about what they think they're commentating on about British culture in general and not taking it with their better american violence ways and poo poo and what the narrative they were intending was.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 26, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

New Breaking News...Poor Raph, what did he do to piss off Grant?

Despite the intro to that bit I somehow did not expect a literal box of pepper.

MikeJF posted:

I gotta say, I enjoyed Misfits and Magic as a Harry Potter parody/sendup but then I watched the Adventuring Party behind-the-scenes chats about them and Ep3 really kinda soured me on the whole series, there's some really bad hot takes in there about what they think they're commentating on about British culture in general and not taking it with their better american violence ways and poo poo and what the narrative they were intending was.

...what?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, forget it.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Eh, forget it.

Nah I think you're right. I was caught a bit off guard by it all and I'm not even british. Brennan has some odd opinions and I couldn't see him lasting more than ten minutes in Ireland with that attitude. It didn't spoil anything for me though. I find people from the US like this if they haven't travelled much because they see everyone through the lens of the media they consume.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Nah I think you're right. I was caught a bit off guard by it all and I'm not even british. Brennan has some odd opinions and I couldn't see him lasting more than ten minutes in Ireland with that attitude. It didn't spoil anything for me though. I find people from the US like this if they haven't travelled much because they see everyone through the lens of the media they consume.

I was kind of on Brennan's side for that conversation. It's just a different cultural expectation when it comes to friendly banter, a lot of Americans tend to not do the "taking the piss" style banter until they're much more familiar with the person they're talking to. If you're taking the piss out of someone from the US and you're not close friends, there's a decent chance it will get taken as an insult. And 99 times out of 100, calling their partner a dog's breakfast isn't going to go over well no matter how close you are.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Yeah, we both agree people from the US are thin skinned and get confused and belligerent when people aren't being fake nice at them. More so if they have never experienced cultures outside of their own. It's almost like they are brainwashed to believe they are the best at everything and can't handle anything challenging that worldview without immediately thinking of violence.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

americans are such psychos, getting all mad and poo poo when you say unprompted sexist things to strangers

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yeah, we both agree people from the US are thin skinned and get confused and belligerent when people aren't being fake nice at them. More so if they have never experienced cultures outside of their own. It's almost like they are brainwashed to believe they are the best at everything and can't handle anything challenging that worldview without immediately thinking of violence.

we can't all be as enlightened as pedo island's noble history of 'randomly saying insulting things about strangers' partners and then whining when they get annoyed' yea.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Lol I'm Irish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moose King posted:

I was kind of on Brennan's side for that conversation. It's just a different cultural expectation when it comes to friendly banter, a lot of Americans tend to not do the "taking the piss" style banter until they're much more familiar with the person they're talking to. If you're taking the piss out of someone from the US and you're not close friends, there's a decent chance it will get taken as an insult. And 99 times out of 100, calling their partner a dog's breakfast isn't going to go over well no matter how close you are.

It was more about his interpretation of what that kind of thing means in British culture when you're over there (esp since this whole thing is set there); he talked about how there was this idea that you had to let people get away with being mean to you in conversation if it's clever enough, seeming to disregard the context of the idea of banter as truly affectionate and often ways of kicking off back-and-forth in a friendly sporting way. And while I'm sure they're aware of it in a vague way they seem to take their observations at face value without taking into account that there are context clues obvious to people familiar with the culture but invisible to those not that might not be picked up on re: what's genuinely insulting vs more playful. And I'm not saying it's not an often unhealthy cultural aspect, but just that it seemed clear that they thought they were commenting on culture and cultural aspects that the discussion implied they weren't familiar with enough to actually comment on. Like I said, I was fine back when I was interpreting it as specifically commenting on JKR's universe, but that discussion made it clear they thought they were hitting points about Brits as a whole.

And the whole discussion about how it's fighting words and how the main characters aren't going to take that kind of thing because they're 'murican and the way that they're gonna go over and show up all these brits who have this class oppression programmed into them just sort of reframed the whole story into one of those narratives where Americans go save the day and show the rest of the world the proper way to live.

Also they talk a lot about how brits are conditioned not to go to violence and seem really unaware of how willing a youth'll be to kick your head in for fun.

Also I think he might actually think England has no free speech law. (As opposed to a troubled relationship with the one they have, much like America has with the first amendment)

sexpig by night posted:

we can't all be as enlightened as pedo island's noble history of 'randomly saying insulting things about strangers' partners and then whining when they get annoyed' yea.

I saw this discussion in a few places around and every single time at least one person responded with basically 'shut up england was evil and imperial and has pedos so you can't say anything'. I think Godwin's law might need a new condition.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 28, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean the main comment was about how 'taking the piss' is basically just brit for 'lol I'm just such an rear end in a top hat' kinda insufferable behavior done by people who don't like consequences to their actions.

Like, I don't really understand your core complaint, the protagonists of the story fought against a bad system? They should have been more respectful to the fictional wizard school that was an obvious allegory for class and integration politics since episode one?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Moose King posted:

I was too. I know a guy exactly like the kid he described from his camp who apparently never got the poo poo kicked out of him for it. He still deserves it, and now I just avoid him.

It might be a cultural difference, but people seem to forget that goes both ways. Americans think saying poo poo like "Your girlfriend looks like a dog's breakfast" to someone you just met is insulting, a lot of British people apparently don't. Err on the side of not pissing someone off, don't just go "It's our culture, you have to let us insult you constantly". The parallel to using someone's chosen pronouns or name is right there, just because you were raised to think it's ok to constantly insult people doesn't mean you can keep doing it if the person you're doing it to is getting pissed about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My issue is not with Brennan's reaction to his rear end in a top hat friend who was totally out of line, but rather the generalisations and conclusions that he and the others seem to have extrapolated from such things and applied to this story.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 28, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this conversation is boring and dumb, here's something fuckin awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bJfIZyEP98

Amazing cast and really fun premise. I was hoping for more Fantasy High but this is the best possible monkey paw.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Do you think I need to have seen past season 1 of fantasy high for this one. I don't want to binge it and I'm on the second episode of season 2.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Do you think I need to have seen past season 1 of fantasy high for this one. I don't want to binge it and I'm on the second episode of season 2.

it seems like this will be going over what the Maidens did during their sophomore year I think so yea as long as you know what went down in 1 I didn't hear any references to 2.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Ok that is what I figured. Can't wait to see this.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The FAQ says it takes place after sophomore year and even past Boyz Night, so there might be some references.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sexpig by night posted:

this conversation is boring and dumb, here's something fuckin awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bJfIZyEP98

Amazing cast and really fun premise. I was hoping for more Fantasy High but this is the best possible monkey paw.

I'm here for it. I liked Brennan as a player in M&M, but he kinda dominated the game, making a lot of the story about him. That's pretty true to life, where in a lot of games I've played in or DMed end up with the most charismatic or extroverted player becoming the center of attention. Brennan as the DM still gets to show off, but he's good enough to let the players take center stage most of the time. And as soon as the Seven Maidens became an adventuring party of their own, my first thought actually was, "hey, that'd be a pretty good spin-off" and here we are!

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

jng2058 posted:

I'm here for it. I liked Brennan as a player in M&M, but he kinda dominated the game, making a lot of the story about him. That's pretty true to life, where in a lot of games I've played in or DMed end up with the most charismatic or extroverted player becoming the center of attention.
Orion Black posted a since deleted post on the D20 subreddit where they talked about this and how it happened. From what I remember of it, they didn't really realize until after episode 3 it had happened and by then it was too late. They also talked about how, Brennan's charisma aside, in the end it was just another example of structural white supremacy because all the minority players there were used to being supporting cast and just took the role again naturally.

I think Orion deleted the post because the latter part pissed off a lot of people.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Threep posted:

Orion Black posted a since deleted post on the D20 subreddit where they talked about this and how it happened. From what I remember of it, they didn't really realize until after episode 3 it had happened and by then it was too late. They also talked about how, Brennan's charisma aside, in the end it was just another example of structural white supremacy because all the minority players there were used to being supporting cast and just took the role again naturally.

I think Orion deleted the post because the latter part pissed off a lot of people.

Well that last part seems like a serious stretch. Erika arguably plays the main character of LA by Night and Lou certainly isn't just a supporting role on Fantasy High. I think it's more that the combination of Brennan's All In character and the way his character's gravity well distorted everything around him more than anything else. If Evan had just been a socially awkward loner without the "his shadow is evil" thing going on, I don't think things would have turned out like they did.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They aren't wrong, but it's definitely a byproduct of Brennan designing a character with such a huge character trait. It's interesting that if they noticed it happening at the end of episode three, wonder what different decisions were made about what happened in the fourth. I'd be curious to read how he wrote it, sucks that he felt the need to take it down.

Also hell yeah new season!

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
I'm excited for the new season but I was hoping we'd get real minis again. The battles are just more dynamic when the players have a clear sense of distance and position.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The World Inferno posted:

They aren't wrong, but it's definitely a byproduct of Brennan designing a character with such a huge character trait. It's interesting that if they noticed it happening at the end of episode three, wonder what different decisions were made about what happened in the fourth. I'd be curious to read how he wrote it, sucks that he felt the need to take it down.

Also hell yeah new season!

It helps that Evan also had so many quotable one-liners. Like, when I think about the moments and lines that really stand out - the majority of them are Evan and / or Jammer riffing off each other. Sam and Dream had their moments too ("We don't know you!") but I feel like Evan kind of dominates the show more or less by virtue of the charisma of the guy driving him.

For what its worth, I feel like this contrasts well with the current campaign in Critical Role, where Aabria is also DMing and Matt Mercer is getting to be a player. Matt basically steals every scene he's in from kind of the opposite direction because Matt's character is a bumbling incompetent himbo chad sorcerer who's dice are about as cursed as they were when he was in Bloodkeep. But at the same time, because he's a member of a larger group who all have these big personalities there is plenty shenanigans that everyone gets up to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I would say Brennan and Lou 'stole the show' but not out of any genuine lovely behavior like talking over others and being assholes, just kinda by the force of them being two very charismatic guys who have riffed off each other for a long time now and had the perfect combo of 'genuinely nice but kinda dumb jock eager to find a new 'team'' and Evan's whole 'genuinely wants to be friends despite being mr dark cursed one' vibe. Sam and Dream were great characters too, but yea they did wind up a bit overshadowed by the time Evan and Jammer were in full broski mode with eachother.

Orion's post was pretty dead on, obviously it's kinda hard to 'blame' Brennan for being charismatic and...not doing the weird thing of being a white guy playing a black guy...but it is a bit unfortunate in a show with such a focus on the themes it had it kinda wound up the special white dude show with his three poc friends. Orion was pretty clear about it being more 'ah, that's unfortunate' than any real 'bad thing' but of course because it was a topic about race in nerd spaces I'm not surprised he pulled it after waves of 'SO WOW BRENNAN WAS THE BAD GUY FOR BEING WHITE HUH????' and poo poo.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think probably the biggest mistake was having Sam, Jammer, and Dream all have these extremely normal high school kid backgrounds before the start of the game, and Evan having this huge complicated backstory where he was already exposed to magic and cursed as gently caress without getting into any of the nonmagical poo poo in his background. Like, it probably should of began and ended with "Homeless orphan living out of a summer camp". When you add the evil shadow and the talking to dead animals and the other stuff he talked about in the post-game show (like how he spent a couple years in a militia camp) it's just kind of too much - and a lot of it is stuff that when it comes out naturally in character dialogue it becomes one of those things everyone needs to stop and unpack in character.

Part of the above may also be just a side effect of a PC being made by a DM too. At a certain point the desire to build the story is strong in long-time DMs.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 29, 2021

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DeathSandwich posted:

Part of the above may also be just a side effect of a PC being made by a DM too. At a certain point the desire to build the story is strong in long-time DMs.

Very true.

If anything I feel for Danielle Radford; she got the short end of the stick spotlight-wise. Her unique power started as being able to see the connections between people but it becomes elided into just being able to see Jammer's power in action.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xand_Man posted:

Very true.

If anything I feel for Danielle Radford; she got the short end of the stick spotlight-wise. Her unique power started as being able to see the connections between people but it becomes elided into just being able to see Jammer's power in action.

Apparently her power would've escalated into a sort of mind-reading with a few better rolls.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

MikeJF posted:

Apparently her power would've escalated into a sort of mind-reading with a few better rolls.

Yeah, I think Aabria did a great job on the whole but I wish she'd failed forward with those rolls better. Hindsight is 20/20 but something like "You read her thoughts but just catch the tail end of a mental sentence, like when you're trying to push an uncharitable thought out of your mind" would have let her known that was an option while still keeping it a failure.

It sucks to gate that sort of character development behind dice rolls in such a short campaign.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 29, 2021

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

They just added a dimenion20 animated series. It's only episode 1 so far and 2 minutes but i'm still laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

They just added a dimenion20 animated series. It's only episode 1 so far and 2 minutes but i'm still laughing.

glad to see DeepBlueInk doing it, their MBMBAM animations are great