Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

So you've seen Super Robot Wars 30 on your Steam recommendations and you're wondering what this is all about. Welcome! We're all so excited you're here.

Super Robot Wars is a long-running turn-based strategy game series that started with the premise of "what if the robots from Japan's most classic robot cartoons all got together and shot at each other for a while?" Over 30 years, it has developed into an ambitious crossover phenomenon in which seeing tons of different characters and politics get slammed together is as much the draw as staging huge mixed battles with a stunning variety of sweet war machines.

For the record, 30 isn't the 30th game, but the 30th anniversary release. The actual number is in the 60s.

How does this crossover thing work?

Each game has a pool of shows it includes. It constructs a combined setting where all of the units and crises are happening at more or less the same time. A hero and villain faction written for that game - the so called OG, or "Original Generation" - weave together the major plot beats of the licensed series into an overarching narrative, usually tweaking, adding, or combining lore in the process.

The crossover element is pretty involved and a major draw of a series inclusion. Characters from different universes become friends, rivals, and mentors. Villains team up and backstab each other. Technology gets combined. Battles get chaotic. And if you're lucky, a story will go completely off the rails.

Do I need to have seen all these shows?

Nope! Super Robot Wars will catch you up on whatever you need to know about what's going on in that particular game. The core series will hit the beats of their own narratives, from introduction to climax, and any backstory events or changes will be fully explained. Some games even include a dictionary of key characters, events, and concepts with links you can review as they come up.

That said, if you want to check out an anime before or after playing the game it's in, go for it! Tons of people watch anime because SRW sold them on it and go on to love them. SRW sometimes clips bits of anime or rearranges them to suit its crossover, especially the parts that don't involve large-scale robotic violence, so there's usually something to gain from seeing the characters in their natural environment. And on the flip side, there's nothing wrong with checking out a particular title because you liked a show or two in it and want to field your favorite characters.

Do you have any that are completely standalone?

Glad you asked! Banpresto has written a whole separate series of games called "Super Robot Wars: Original Generations," taking all the characters they created and remixing them into their own ongoing saga. OGs has been going on for a while (and multiple subseries) and picked up a lot of continuity, growing from a military first-contact case to a sprawling space epic. But it's a great time to start from the beginning, since the Original Generations enhanced remake of the first two parts has just been English patched.

So they're in English?

A handful of the most recent games before 30 have had official English releases, but you're going to have to import them from a Southeast Asia region (probably Singapore or Hong Kong). The translations are good, though. Well, the licensed ones.

A bunch of extremely cool and dedicated fans, including a good few goons, have also patched some older games for your reading pleasure, including OGs as mentioned. And finally, there are also some LPs that will walk you through the plots, if you want to follow along with a playthrough or just get an idea of what these fifty bot pileups are like in motion.

For the sake of completeness, there's also the original OG games for the Game Boy Advance, released by Atlus as Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 1 and 2 (differentiated by the plural s). OGs revamps both of these games, but they're still good, not to mention officially and beautifully translated.

Links and resources to follow.

Where do I start?

30 will be the easiest to get for most people. After that, picking one with a favorite series is how a lot of us got in. The Asian English cluster is the most mechanically accessible, and each one has something popular in it - V includes the Evangelion movies, X has Gurren-Lagann and Code Geass, and T introduces Cowboy Bebop. Z2 is all the popular shows from the mid-2000's. Feeling more nostalgic? Alpha includes the original Macross and Gundam Wing. Z has Grendizer and Godsigma. T brings back G Gundam and GaoGaiGar in HD. Every title is different, so dig around and see what calls to you (or ask!).

Starting with OGs is also on the table. The first part is good at leading you into its setting, and while some of OGs' mechanics are unique, for the most part it'll show you how SRW works and is a solid strategy game series on its own. Hell, many of our first experiences with SRW as a game are from the original GBA OG games, though the OGs remake is now recommended for a more modern experience.

But really, V, X, T, and 30 should all be perfectly fine if you just want to play what's there. And if you want to go deeper after that, we'll be happy to recommend games or shows to your tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Games and patches section stolen from Hokuto
----
LICENSED OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED GAMES: (if you're not in SEA, please read the import guide)
Super Robot Wars V (PS4/Vita/Switch/Steam, SEA only) (Series list here!) - Featuring Space Battleship Yamato, Full Metal Panic, and Evangelion movies, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSaCrx_pZYQ

Super Robot Wars X (PS4/Vita/Switch/Steam, SEA only) (Series list here!) - Featuring Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Nadia, and Mashin Hero Wataru, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXN8-eIqhM

Super Robot Wars T (PS4/Switch, SEA only) (Series list here!) - Featuring Cowboy Bebop, Magic Knight Rayearth, Gun X Sword, Captain Harlock, and GaoGaiGar, among others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpemgQu1c5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH_eWGd5_Bc

Super Robot Wars 30 (Steam/PS4/Switch) (Series list here!) - Featuring Rayearth, Gun X Sword, Majestic Prince, Knights & Magic, GaoGaiGar vs. Betterman, among others. Releases 10/29/2021 worldwide!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xujHTmsOdU

LICENSED FAN TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars (GB) (Series list here!) - The original game for Game Boy, featuring Gundam, Mazinger Z, and Getter Robo.
Super Robot Wars 2 (NES) (Series list here!) - The sequel to the Game Boy original, featuring UFO Robo Grendizer.
Super Robot Wars 3 (SNES) (Series list here!) - The third installment in the original story, featuring Daitarn 3, Raideen, Gundam 0083, and Combattler V.
Super Robot Wars EX (SNES) (Series list here!) - Ties the first three classic SRWs into the Elemental Lords plotline. Adds GoShogun and Dunbine.
Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (PS1) (Series list here!) - Featuring Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, Xabungle, Braiger, and Macross Plus, among others.
Super Robot Wars Advance Portable (PSP) (Series list here!) - Featuring Dragonar, Daimos, and G Gundam, among others.
Super Robot Wars GC (Gamecube) (Series list here!) - Featuring the whole J9 series, Shin vs Neo Getter Robo, and others.
Super Robot Wars J (GBA) (Series list here!) - Featuring Tekkaman Blade, Nadesico, Layzner, and Mazinkaiser, among others.

ORIGINAL-ONLY OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation (GBA) - The first OG game, translated by Atlus a while back.
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2 (GBA) - The second OG game, translated by Atlus a while back.
Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Moon Dwellers (PS4/PS3) - The fifth entry in the long-running OG series. Word of warning, the translation is rough around the edges, to put it kindly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFYueSOCuE

ORIGINAL-ONLY FAN TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Gaiden: The Elemental Lords, AKA Masoukishin (SNES) - An SNES fantasy strategy RPG featuring all-original robots called Elementals and Elemental Lords.
Super Robot Wars Original Generations - An enhanced remake of the first two Original Generation cames. Definitive due to some plot updates tying the continuity together.

LPs

Super Robot Wars Z by Brunom1, Dr. Pepper, and Caphi

Super Robot Wars Z2.1: Destruction by Caphi

Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden by Tobias Grant (non translation)

Super Robot Wars MX by Brunom1

Super Robot Wars W by Brunom1

Super Robot Wars L by Brunom1

Super Robot Wars UX by Brunom1

IMPORTING GUIDE
If you actually live in one of the corresponding SEA regions, no part of this section applies to you. Buy the games and have fun.

The PS4 and Switch will both accept physically imported games. You can buy them wherever you order foreign games - if you don't know where that is, Nippon-Yasan or Play-Asia are commonly used.

However, if it's still 2021, shipping from Asia is probably a bad idea, so you're more likely to get the download version. Steam has extremely strict region policies, so we do not recommend buying games other than 30 through it. Do this at risk of your own account.

The process for digital importing on PS4 and Switch is pretty similar, and indeed holds if you want to buy a game in Japanese: make a regional account on the system, then buy an appropriate currency card. As far as I know, Singapore is easiest on PSN because the store is in English, and Hong Kong is the only region with an eShop on Switch.

The account is fairly straightforward. You can register a new PSN or Nintendo Online account and then simply select the appropriate region when asked. (Account protip: Gmail allows you to use aliases to separate your mail. For instance, signing up with trombe+hk@gmail.com would go directly to trombe@gmail.com, so you don't have to use a different email.)

The stores won't accept your credit card if it's not local, so you'll have to buy money. Import stores will sell money card codes, but you will face a markup, on top of the cards coming in currency amounts that will rarely be exactly what you want. That is the price of importing, but it's probably less than paying EMS to ship it over, and you won't wait weeks for it to arrive.

:siren: (Note: some people actually can use their credit card on the HK eShop. It apparently doesn't always work and I don't know why, so give it a shot on your Switch before you do the above.)

Finally, depending on which store you use - for instance, the HK eShop - you may not find the interface in English. Don't panic if you can't read it - the game should come up if you search the subtitle (T, 30, etc.) and include English in its game language options once you start it, if you did it in one of the right regions. (Again, PSN Singapore is in English, so that's recommended.)

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 23, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i love robutts

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I need to get the second playthrough of T in, I never got around to it because I felt kinda burned out after doing the expansion content.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Battletech when

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

wdarkk posted:

I need to get the second playthrough of T in, I never got around to it because I felt kinda burned out after doing the expansion content.

I'm still in the expansion, the silent enemies with HP bloat aren't fun.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
where the gently caress is symphonogear

i need my srw consisting entirely of idol franchises that have mecha in them

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I think the vayeate is the best looking ms in Wing. Sad it's in only one game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

New thread title is great.

I'm working on my second run of T on and off, making decent progress I guess. I might go for a third gimmick run and unleash the firepower of a fully armed and operation Roux Louka by doing a girls only run.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
gals only was my 2nd run

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the new thread and OP, Caphi!

Also echoing the sentiment that if you're new here and want to learn more, you've come to the right place. Don't be shy about posting, and remember there are no dumb questions!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
V remains my favorite thus far. Yamato's core storyline as the heart of the game ruled, it had evangelion, and its secret boss was neat.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Very excited to smash robots into each other in my first SRW game, the series I have no excuse to not know too much about already

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Here's hoping Bandai Namco aren't cowards and give us a "Zoltan recaps the featured series" section.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Willo567 posted:

Who owns the license

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
JAM Project ...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tae posted:

Who owns the license

I think Satelight and their parent company, since they did the animation, and King's Records, since people contracted under them did the music, are who it would need to be cleared with primarily. But Satelight were behind Aquarion, and King's Records were one of a few companies involved in Cross Ange, so there is precedent there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

lol I just pre-ordered the PS4 version off Play-Asia and the final cost after shipping was still less than that of a new PS5 game here in Canada.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I eagerly await my officially-released-in-my-country-non-OG-Super Robot Wars Game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Here's hoping Bandai Namco aren't cowards and give us a "Zoltan recaps the featured series" section.

I just hope they'll keep true to the plot of Narrative and have Jona be a lovely, aggressively mediocre pilot.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Woo new thread!

Been playing through OGs again because of the hype, and I think I'm in love with the Armorlion.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Willo567 posted:

Honestly my mind's still a bit blown there's never been a symphogear musou game. Hand that poo poo off to Koei and lemme sing while racking up a few thousand noise KOs!

Alacron posted:

Woo new thread!

Been playing through OGs again because of the hype, and I think I'm in love with the Armorlion.

I love the lion series and the Armorlion is the best because it's just basically a cast iron figurine :black101:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

I just hope they'll keep true to the plot of Narrative and have Jona be a lovely, aggressively mediocre pilot.

Really hoping we can use the Phenix with ghost-Rita as the actual pilot.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
If we're wish listing, since we've got 3 Mazingers/pilots now, I want a stage, even a dlc one, where they and the Getter team swap.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wdarkk posted:

I wanna be a biiird

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

V would have been my favorite SRW game if it kept up the Yamato setting and tone it has for the first handful of stages and not turned into flipping back and forth between alternate earths.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I liked that the light on the PS4 controller changed depending what world you're on

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
OG3rd pls

j/k 30 looks great and i know the they just started development for the next OGs

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Hello new thread.

It still blows my mind, just a bit, that we're getting a licensed-property SRW title released worldwide at all. The license situation is a bit different from how it was twenty years ago, but even still, it feels wild. Teenager-college-student me would have lost his marbles knowing this was even possible.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dance Officer posted:

I think the vayeate is the best looking ms in Wing. Sad it's in only one game.

My passion is the Leo and Leo Accessories, ayup.

EDIT: from the old thread but;

chiasaur11 posted:

Except Cowboy Bebop, which contributed Tank.

I'm still mad we didn't actually get the Bebop as a battleship.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Leo's one of those robots that looks a lot better in SD

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

hosed up that anybody could have a favorite Wing suit that isn't the Tallgeese ngl

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Whenever someone mentions the idea of ZOE in SRW, I walways try to pitch the idea of starting with Fist of Mars and going into Second Runner. Have the FoM crew for the first half or so of the game, with enemy orbital frames like the raptor being credible enemies, then as the plot progresses, boom, Dingo in Jehuty arrives and its like getting the loving Gunbuster.

Throw it in alongside Gundam IBO and Nadesico for maximum Martian clusterfuck.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

Woo new thread!

I got a lot of use out of the Armorlion in OGs 1. It made Russel a hell of a tank which only made him even better of a support for the rest of the team. I didn't think much of Russel before but man, that playthrough opened my eyes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

wdarkk posted:

It boggles my mind that Blue Destiny didn't get in. A perfect compliment to NT with its own dead Newtype power system shenanigans, but...nope.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

SpikeMcclane posted:

If we're wish listing, since we've got 3 Mazingers/pilots now, I want a stage, even a dlc one, where they and the Getter team swap.

I'll settle for a new Final Dynamic Special for SRW 30. I really miss the cross franchise special attacks.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AradoBalanga posted:

It boggles my mind that Blue Destiny didn't get in. A perfect compliment to NT with its own dead Newtype power system shenanigans, but...nope.

The Efreet is one of my favorite suits, I'd love to have it in SRW too. :negative: I love that weird dom/gouf lovechild.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ethiser posted:

V would have been my favorite SRW game if it kept up the Yamato setting and tone it has for the first handful of stages and not turned into flipping back and forth between alternate earths.

Honestly it's understandable why they did, would have been too depressing really with how hosed up the Yamato/Crossbone Earth is

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I'm still mad we didn't actually get the Bebop as a battleship.

Does it actually have any weapons? I'm trying to remember if it does or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

wdarkk posted:

Does it actually have any weapons? I'm trying to remember if it does or not.

Was the Swordfish II actually any good for combat next to giant robots? It doesn't matter, make poo poo up. Turn the anchors into deadly weapons.