Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Only true Kino gets UHD releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Is rocky horror a good movie or a bad movie

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Neither, it’s a great movie

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have a potentially stupid question.

When i watch movies on my 4K TV, it will pop up a little “HDR” icon in the corner for a moment or two when it starts playing HDR content.
I was messing around with my TV and 4K player and I turned on “Dolby Vision”, and now it displays an icon that says “Dolby Vision” in place of the HDR icon.

Should I leave Dolby Vision turned on? Is it overriding HDR somehow? Is one better than the other? Should I care?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

I have a potentially stupid question.

When i watch movies on my 4K TV, it will pop up a little “HDR” icon in the corner for a moment or two when it starts playing HDR content.
I was messing around with my TV and 4K player and I turned on “Dolby Vision”, and now it displays an icon that says “Dolby Vision” in place of the HDR icon.

Should I leave Dolby Vision turned on? Is it overriding HDR somehow? Is one better than the other? Should I care?

Dolby Vision is like HDR+. On supported media, it can help out a bit more (I think it encodes how strong the backlight should be?).

Unfortunately whether you should leave it on depends on a lot of factors and you will have to research your equipment. I have the Sony X700 UHD player where for some unfathomable reason it cannot automatically detect DV and you have to manually turn it on and off.

Leaving DV off will never hurt anything; at most you will be missing out on some minor HDR effects. Leaving it on may hurt non-DV HDR content because apparently the backlight may be set wrong. That actually popped into my head when you mentioned that Runaway Train looked really dark, but I don’t think it applies to normal Blu-Rays since there is no HDR. However, I wouldn’t put it past your TV to do something stupid if you force it on.

TerraCat
Jul 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

Fixins posted:

It's Ok, but it grinds to a complete stop in the second half.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

Dolby Vision is like HDR+. On supported media, it can help out a bit more (I think it encodes how strong the backlight should be?).

Unfortunately whether you should leave it on depends on a lot of factors and you will have to research your equipment. I have the Sony X700 UHD player where for some unfathomable reason it cannot automatically detect DV and you have to manually turn it on and off.

Leaving DV off will never hurt anything; at most you will be missing out on some minor HDR effects. Leaving it on may hurt non-DV HDR content because apparently the backlight may be set wrong. That actually popped into my head when you mentioned that Runaway Train looked really dark, but I don’t think it applies to normal Blu-Rays since there is no HDR. However, I wouldn’t put it past your TV to do something stupid if you force it on.

Hmmm….. turning it all on actually “fixed” Runaway Train and made it watchable, maybe I should leave DV turned on?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

feedmyleg posted:

I love Rocky Horror and I can't imagine anything worse than being at a midnight showing of it.

It's find when you 18-21ish and you've seen the movie over a dozen times but I'm sure I'd probably enjoy it now. The fact that the movie by itself is good gets lost in the whole midnight showing thing.

Iron Crowned posted:

I cant even watch MST3K anymore because I'd rather just watch a bad movie, I don't need robots making jokes

A lot of the movies they make fun of would be otherwise unwatchable without them goofing on it because they're frequently really boring movies I can't imagine sitting through poo poo like Laserblast or that Joe Estevez werewolf movie otherwise. And I'm someone who use to seek out and watch incredibly bad movies with people for fun.

roffels posted:

I lasted about 10 minutes before I walked out. Not my crowd, I don't enjoy yelling "water" or "slut" at the movie, nor do I enjoy being around others yelling.

This is kind of another reason why I don't think I'd enjoy an RHPS midnight thing. There's a lot of jokes people do that I'd probably think are problematic now or just too edgy lordy. Maybe not, but I remember some of the poo poo you'd hear a lot and I'd probably roll my eyes real hard. I've also never "ironically" enjoyed the movie. My love for RHPS is entirely sincere and out of movies I've watched a whole bunch of times it's likely to be the one I've seen the most. Aside from it being a bunch of campy nerdy references to old B-movies it was one of those rare LGBTQ things they had on tv in the 90s that didn't other queer people or make them the butt of the joke which was important if you were a gay kid. It's just an unapologetically queer movie. The soundtrack album was one of the first CDs I've ever bought and I still listen to it now and again. I just spun it a few days ago as a matter of fact.

Fixins posted:

It rules but if you've never seen it don't watch it in a theater.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I cant even watch MST3K anymore because I'd rather just watch a bad movie, I don't need robots making jokes

A lot of the movies they make fun of would be otherwise unwatchable without them goofing on it. I can't imagine sitting through poo poo like Laserblast or that Joe Estevez werewolf movie otherwise. A lot of the poo poo they had on there is just boring garbage and to me the worst thing a movie can be is boring. A lot of bad movies can be very entertaining in different ways or on their own merits. Some stuff doesn't even have that.

feedmyleg posted:

I enjoy the movie on its merits. I don't want a bunch of people ironically enjoying it and making fun of it while I'm trying to watch it :shrug:

I don't know exactly how much of that whole thing is ironic but I'm sure for a lot of people it is. But I genuinely love the movie. Out of all the movies I've watched multiple times that's probably the one I've seen the most. The soundtrack album was one of the first CDs I've ever bought. I've listened to that more times than I could even guess and I still give it a spin from time to time. I did a few nights ago as a matter of fact. RHPS was a big deal for me growing up because in the 90s there was very little gay representation in pop culture and when you did see gay characters they were usually othered or made the butt of a joke. It's a very unapologetically queer movie. I remember the first few times I watched it I wasn't sure if Frankenfurter was supposed to be a man or a woman. I obviously didn't have a nuanced idea of gender when I was 12 but I still think it's wild that they just had a movie with a character completely defying gender norm on tv all the time. If there was no gay stuff on tv there certainly wasn't anything that was exploring gender like that in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Fixins posted:

It rules but if you've never seen it don't see it in a theater. Maybe don't see it in a theater at all. The whole midnight show thing was really fun to me when I was in my late teens and very early 20s but at this time I don't know that I'd enjoy it like I use to and I'm sure that a lot of the jokes people make make me roll my eyes now because they're somewhat problematic or just the kind of dumb edgelord bullshit most people grow out of.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 24, 2021

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CPL593H posted:

A lot of the movies they make fun of would be otherwise unwatchable without them goofing on it. I can't imagine sitting through poo poo like Laserblast or that Joe Estevez werewolf movie otherwise. A lot of the poo poo they had on there is just boring garbage and to me the worst thing a movie can be is boring. A lot of bad movies can be very entertaining in different ways or on their own merits. So stuff doesn't even have that.

Yeah this is why I only make fun of movies when with my friends Mike, Jay and Rich Evans.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cacator posted:

Yeah this is why I only make fun of movies when with my friends Mike, Jay and Rich Evans.

They have enough of a critical eye from a storytelling and production standpoint as people who have practical experience making garbage films that they add a lot to the experience.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Xenomrph posted:

Hmmm….. turning it all on actually “fixed” Runaway Train and made it watchable, maybe I should leave DV turned on?

Nah, it fucks up color on non-DV content. I learned about the DV toggle because of how it made my Twin Peaks set look. It’ll screw with stuff, for sure.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

That’s weird but you’ll have to read more about what your TV & player are doing. Maybe earlier you had it set to some “auto HDR” where it tried to HDR-ify the content? I’m sure that would look terrible most of the time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

BTTF 4K set down to $30 at Best Buy and Amazon!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My 4K of Transformers the Movie arrived today

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Welp. It'll be here tomorrow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boywhiz88 posted:

I still don't have a UHD player but I got this for when I do :shepspends:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rageaholic posted:

I still don't have a UHD player but I got this for when I do :shepspends:

I don't either, but I probably will someday and the normal blurays in the box will nicely replace my awful lookong 2010 set.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Iron Crowned posted:

My 4K of Transformers the Movie arrived today

Nice, I'm excited to sit down with it. Used to watch it all the time with my friend.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I bought some physical media

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HIGH IMPACT blood and gore :commissar:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Is deepdiscount still a place to generally avoid? The Daimajin Trilogy for $54 is preeeeeetty tempting.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

caligulamprey posted:

Is deepdiscount still a place to generally avoid? The Daimajin Trilogy for $54 is preeeeeetty tempting.

They’re 50/50. If they’re willing to ship what you bought, you can get some nice discounts. I got the Severin Christoper Lee box set for about $100 and it shipped. I also pre-ordered the Friday the 13th set and they canceled it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

PM if you want a MoviesAnywhere code for the BTTF trilogy

e: aaaaand it's gone!

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 26, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

A lot of the movies they make fun of would be otherwise unwatchable without them goofing on it. I can't imagine sitting through poo poo like Laserblast or that Joe Estevez werewolf movie otherwise. A lot of the poo poo they had on there is just boring garbage and to me the worst thing a movie can be is boring. A lot of bad movies can be very entertaining in different ways or on their own merits. Some stuff doesn't even have that.

I don't know exactly how much of that whole thing is ironic but I'm sure for a lot of people it is. But I genuinely love the movie. Out of all the movies I've watched multiple times that's probably the one I've seen the most. The soundtrack album was one of the first CDs I've ever bought. I've listened to that more times than I could even guess and I still give it a spin from time to time. I did a few nights ago as a matter of fact. RHPS was a big deal for me growing up because in the 90s there was very little gay representation in pop culture and when you did see gay characters they were usually othered or made the butt of a joke. It's a very unapologetically queer movie. I remember the first few times I watched it I wasn't sure if Frankenfurter was supposed to be a man or a woman. I obviously didn't have a nuanced idea of gender when I was 12 but I still think it's wild that they just had a movie with a character completely defying gender norm on tv all the time. If there was no gay stuff on tv there certainly wasn't anything that was exploring gender like that in the late 90s/early 2000s.

It rules but if you've never seen it don't see it in a theater. Maybe don't see it in a theater at all. The whole midnight show thing was really fun to me when I was in my late teens and very early 20s but at this time I don't know that I'd enjoy it like I use to and I'm sure that a lot of the jokes people make make me roll my eyes now because they're somewhat problematic or just the kind of dumb edgelord bullshit most people grow out of.

Laserblast is actually pretty good, and works way better now than when it got released.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 26, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CPL593H posted:

RHPS was a big deal for me growing up because in the 90s there was very little gay representation in pop culture and when you did see gay characters they were usually othered or made the butt of a joke. It's a very unapologetically queer movie.

I agree, and I think a big part of the reason why RHPS turned into such a cult phenomenon in the first place is that it spoke directly to a group which had almost no media representation at the time and little means of contacting like-minded individuals. So interacting with people in the same theatre became a roundabout way of forming a bond with other outcasts. I imagine a modern screening doesn't carry the same impact because a) there are other means of connecting nowadays, b) the cinema has lost a lot of its social relevance, and c) the interactions have become so codified that you're not so much playing off the other audience members anymore as sticking to a pre-determined script.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bowmore posted:

taking part in the horror bracketology thread eh?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MacheteZombie posted:

taking part in the horror bracketology thread eh?

Nope! I just like this movie. Sounds interesting though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bowmore posted:

The screening I went to was advertised as giving out free customized barf bags for the movie, but in reality they were just brown paper bags with the movie’s title written in red marker on them.

Great movie tho.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Liar Lyre posted:

They’re 50/50. If they’re willing to ship what you bought, you can get some nice discounts.
Cancelled an hour after ordering. :allears:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

I agree, and I think a big part of the reason why RHPS turned into such a cult phenomenon in the first place is that it spoke directly to a group which had almost no media representation at the time and little means of contacting like-minded individuals. So interacting with people in the same theatre became a roundabout way of forming a bond with other outcasts. I imagine a modern screening doesn't carry the same impact because a) there are other means of connecting nowadays, b) the cinema has lost a lot of its social relevance, and c) the interactions have become so codified that you're not so much playing off the other audience members anymore as sticking to a pre-determined script.

Yeah you're spot on about all of this. And that's probably why I was so into the live shows when I was a freshly out babby gay. I didn't yet have the confidence to just be faggy in public. And yeah the jokes get pretty stale after you hear them so many times. Although one time a cast member stood a ladder in front of the screen yelling the "I just lost my virginity in a confession booth." speech from Detroit Rock City and he was positioned perfectly so that when a lightning bolt appeared on the screen it looked like it hit him and then he fell backwards. That was great and I didn't see anyone ever do that again.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ruddiger posted:

The screening I went to was advertised as giving out free customized barf bags for the movie, but in reality they were just brown paper bags with the movie’s title written in red marker on them.

Great movie tho.

Our screening had that too but they filled the bag with gummy lollies in the shape of body parts

Second Sight also had the blu-ray limited edition of Raw up for order again recently. Their LE's are awesome.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hot dog! Transformers uhd showed up this morning, the print is bigger than I expected. Can't wait to check this out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kingtheninja posted:

Hot dog! Transformers uhd showed up this morning, the print is bigger than I expected. Can't wait to check this out.

I feel like my biggest complaint about it is that the UHD disc is 16:9 only, when 4:3 is the proper aspect ratio on this one :argh:

Still looks good, although it didn't exactly feel like the greatest showcase of UHD. It's definitely brigher, especially on the light effects that are everywhere in this.

Weirdly there is no deep blacks, I probably only noticed due to it being a UHD that all the space backgrounds are painted with dark colors, but no real black. When I'm not feeling lazy I'll have to dust off my original Rhino DVD, and see how it looked then for a comparison.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
BTTF 4k UHD trilogy is still $30. Had to grab it at that price.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Slightly annoyed at this myself because I paid like $90 but the Indy 4k set is also on sale for something around $65. That was a pretty fast price drop, didn't expect to see it for that price until at least November.

https://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-4-Movie-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B08Z2MDGWQ?tag=bluray-030-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iron Crowned posted:

Weirdly there is no deep blacks, I probably only noticed due to it being a UHD that all the space backgrounds are painted with dark colors, but no real black.

2001 also has gray space for technical reasons and it’s incredibly noticeable on an OLED.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Slightly annoyed at this myself because I paid like $90 but the Indy 4k set is also on sale for something around $65. That was a pretty fast price drop, didn't expect to see it for that price until at least November.

https://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-4-Movie-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B08Z2MDGWQ?tag=bluray-030-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Part of why I gently caress w/ Best Buy. I spend enough that I have a 45-day return period, which means a 45-day price match policy. Just pricematched a new modem I bought on Friday for 4 bucks less!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Kino is putting out To Live and Die in LA on UHD! gently caress yes. I got to see that Xmas 07 w my dad and it’s a bop for me. I really love new-noir and how weird and stylistic it can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

That's awesome! I slept on the Shout release and literally was debating paying the current prices for that disc. I'll wait for the UHD