Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Hey if you want to know about volleyball like the rules, or what a jumbo shrimp is, or why the guys don't wear spandex, ask away. Sorry this OP will be pretty USA-centric but by all means, talk about whatever. Try not to derail with any Japanese children's cartoons

:wooper:INDOOR:wooper:
6v6 on a hard court. More complex offensive plays, high jumps, powerful swings. Women's has long exciting rallys, Men's is more about power and serving into the net by accident.

Men's Indoor
Brazil and Poland are the big two. Watch out for Brazil's Wallace spiking, Poland's Leon serving, and Iran's bearded setter. If Iran plays Poland, don't be surprised if a fight breaks out.

Team USA is actually not that great as their key players are aging and coming off recent injuries. Lots of good individual players on USA but TJ Defalco is my favorite all-rounder.

Women's Indoor
Team USA is very likely to medal. Jordan Larson is a monster back row attacker, I also like Thompson and Washington in the middle. I think Brazil and China are good too.

Sitting Volleyball
Team USA has a winning Paralympic women's squad. I'll try to find some info on how to watch.

:coolfish:BEACH:coolfish:
2v2 on a smaller sand court. More finesse, coverage, and placement. International beach is really hard to follow so I have no clue about favorites to win other than Agatha/Duda from Brazil women's. Two USA men's teams and two USA women's teams qualified.

Women's Beach
I've been watching Sponcil/Claes closely. They are young but recently won 1st in some international qualifier tournaments. I hope they do well. Sponcil makes some incredibly dirty plays.

Ross/Klineman I think is the more favored Team USA pair. Ross is an Olympic Medalist and this might be her last hurrah.

Men's Beach
Dalhauser/Lucena do well against other Americans in the AVP. Dalhauser is an olympic gold medalist.

Crabb/Bourne/Gibb: Taylor Crabb (alleged pedo) is pozzed with Covid, so he's been replaced a few days out by Tri Bourne who seems like a better role model. Gibb loves to argue with the refs. I can't tell Gibb and Dalhauser apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like watching ladies in bikinis smacking white balls around.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Taylor Crabb (alleged pedo)

Crap really? I'm afraid to Google it, but he's so fun to watch play vball sportz.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

falz posted:

Crap really? I'm afraid to Google it, but he's so fun to watch play vball sportz.

Yes I was informed in another thread today. Its not really clear what he did but it at least involved giving alcohol to a girl under 18. He then violated his team usa probation by hosting a girls volleyball camp. His suspension was lifted to qualify for the olympics (makes u think) and it turns out he caught COVID anyway.

He is a very talented player and and often featured in the volleyball YouTube world, AVP stuff etc. so its a bummer to hear. Definitely not the brightest guy in the world

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I mean a source other than some other thread in SA would be cool.

Anyway on topic it looks like Tri will be replacing him, which imo is really weird forming a new team, there's no way they'll do well randomly with a new partner.

However, I'm fairly sure they're all bro friends or whatever as they're both on McKibbin videos a lot.

The main point is that volleyball, both indoor 6s and beach doubles, is perhaps the most fun and entertaining sport.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Agreedo. If youre looking for more volleyball content, the lads from Out of System have been traveling the country and winning the major grass triples tournaments(3 for 3 so far). Its an awesome format.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They use multi colored balls now because its easier to track the spin! Sorry man you need a new edition of 101 pervy jokes

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Watching sponcil and claes qualify while KWJ got left out in the cold was delicious schadenfreude.

But Im legit excited to see Sarah and Mel win the gold for Canada.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Agreedo. If youre looking for more volleyball content, the lads from Out of System have been traveling the country and winning the major grass triples tournaments(3 for 3 so far). Its an awesome format.

They use multi colored balls now because its easier to track the spin! Sorry man you need a new edition of 101 pervy jokes

Hmm, pretty sure there's another joke there but I think I'd like to keep posting in the olympic forum for a couple weeks...

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

DuckConference posted:

But Im legit excited to see Sarah and Mel win the gold for Canada.

Oh yeah dude theyre a great team. I wonder if well see any AVP vs AVP matchups after pool play.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
love the speed dealer shades

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Agreedo. If you’re looking for more volleyball content, the lads from Out of System have been traveling the country and winning the major grass triples tournaments(3 for 3 so far). It’s an awesome format.

Indeed, saw them while at Boatride the other week, it's fun watching them destroy pretty much everyone even though they don't look that much.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I *do* want to know why the men don't wear little spandex, OP, yes.

Also, is Dalhausser still good? What happened to Jennings and May-Treanor?

^ these are literally the only three volleyball players I know I'm sorry

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I'm here for the sweaty hunks and babes

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Poland Iran was great, so many match point chances.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

madey posted:

Poland Iran was great, so many match point chances.

It was the first volleyball match I've ever watched in full and it was harrowing, lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japan is pinning its hopes on its big-hitting attackers, and they already made it through one match earlier today, so we'll see if they've got a chance.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

drat Im gonna find that POL vs IRI game. Anyone got a link? Iran is my favorite underdog team by far and those teams have major beefs.

USA is 2-0 against France right now, absolutely dominating. Nice to see all of the starters out on the court.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Beeb hasn't shown any beach volleyball yet this is an outrage

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

drat Im gonna find that POL vs IRI game. Anyone got a link? Iran is my favorite underdog team by far and those teams have major beefs.

USA is 2-0 against France right now, absolutely dominating. Nice to see all of the starters out on the court.

It's on eurosport and volleyballworld but only premium. Here and here

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

surf rock posted:

I *do* want to know why the men don't wear little spandex, OP, yes.

Also, is Dalhausser still good? What happened to Jennings and May-Treanor?

^ these are literally the only three volleyball players I know I'm sorry

Dalhausser is playing with Nick Lucena, they're a good team but I don't know if anyone would bet on them medaling.

Misty May-Treanor retired years ago, she didn't play in 2016 either. Kerri Walsh-Jennings went a little nuts with starting her own beach volleyball tour and alienated a lot of people, she almost qualified for the 2020 olympics but fortunately Sarah Sponcil and Kelly Claes managed to get past her and get the 2nd US women's slot. Team Slaes are really cool and you should be cheering for them (to win the silver, gold is for canada).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Serving in beech volley ball seems cursed

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
This Chinese team is keeping the game tight!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Serving in beech volley ball seems cursed

Side-out efficiencies are usually pretty high at the pro level, so if you just lob an easy serve at them you're close to giving them a free point. That said, a more aggressive serve is more likely to go out or into the net, so you're trying to hit a balance where you're getting more aces than you are serving out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm just used to other sports where serving is an advantage and watching these teams break serve at like 95% seems amazing

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

macabresca posted:

It's on eurosport and volleyballworld but only premium. Here and here

The volleyball world link is from VNL 2019 and eurosport is not in available in the US!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Some mod gassed my volleyball thread, but i want to point out that the german chicks had some pretty nice butts for white chicks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ive never watched it before, but I have to say that beach volleyball is way more intense than I thought. Some of these exchanges are insane.

Also, I know I must be getting older because my first thought at seeing women athletes in bikinis is that they should be able to wear more supportive clothing. The Chinese team seems to have outfits less prone to causing wedgies, which I imagine can be brutal.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

The volleyball world link is from VNL 2019 and eurosport is not in available in the US!

Oh poo poo, sorry. Olympics site linked eurosport as an "official" place to watch videos so I thought it might be available worldwide, maybe you can check there what works in the US

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Nooner posted:

Some mod gassed my volleyball thread, but i want to point out that the german chicks had some pretty nice butts for white chicks

you cant fight in here, this is the war room!!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Just finishing up the indoor womens USA vs ARG and the USA setters are really underwhelming. Not connecting with the middles at all. I think Carlini would have been a better choice. She was great during VNL

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The NBC sports app is messed up and not showing the Slaes vs. Latvia game for some reason.

EDIT: Working now. Latvia was really rough at the start of the first set, it was 14-7 at the technical time out.

EDIT2: The NBC idiot called out "and it's a time out" and they went to commercial for a side switch. I know we have a thread for this but seriously gently caress NBC.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 26, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I only caught the last set but that was an awesome 6-0 run by Team USA to come back and close it out.

Also, Claes has very cool hair

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

That was incredible, I thought Latvia had them and then Kelly Claes turned into a literal wall at the net.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Claes was so hesitant the 2nd set. Pretty much only dinks and couldnt put much away. She brought out the big blocks for the final set and got a meatball set to finish it. So happy for them!

Indoor mens USA vs ROC coming up soon. Anyone know if Zaytsev is on Italys roster this year?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/volleydator1/status/1419502014183088133

USA dying from missed serves. Their offense and blocking are so good though

edit so I don't triplepost: The Bourne/Gibb vs Italy match is worth a look because the italian team kept serving skyballs and it was pretty drat close

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 26, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Apparently Italy had some major team changes, e.g. their setter was not the usual guy. Does anybody know why that is?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Nooner posted:

If the thread titles can be horny why can't Nooner.

Free NOONER!

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
USA vs China womens game is extremely tense right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
USA barely won the first set