Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Do I understand this sport at all? No. Am I enjoying it? Absolutely.

Guys and gals kicking the poo poo out of each other, this I understand.

I think it's like one point for a kick to the upper body or "trunk" and two points for a kick to the head but also sometimes they do like a little grab too and it makes it three points. I think.

Oh and all the participants get entrances, except the entrances seem to only allow 90s Jock Jams as the song.

I guess I could duckduckgo the rules, maybe later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am watching a 17 year old from Spain just destroying the 34 year old double gold medal winner from China.

Currently up 33 to 2.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
watching a turkish lady kick a colombian lady in the head :cheers:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
tunisian u58 just beat the favourite in the semi-final!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

exmarx posted:

Amazing. I thought the favorite was too passive the whole way and finally it caught him in the finals.

Great to see the emotion of the coach.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
drat this Adrianas feet just seem to be magnetically attracted to her opponents head.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
crazy good

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

exmarx posted:

This was an incredible fight, godspeed Tunisian kid!

It's been interesting watching the men's and women's semis in such rapid succession, it shows the contrast pretty starkly. The guys really do seem to be just kicking the poo poo out of each other.

Edit: Also this commentator is great.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 24, 2021

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
yeah the commentator is great

italian coach is annoying as gently caress tho lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i love heavily moderated combat sports for points, it has all the skill and finesse of the death match poo poo but nobody has to get CTE

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Definitely coming back to watch the finals. This was fun.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

smarxist posted:

i love heavily moderated combat sports for points, it has all the skill and finesse of the death match poo poo but nobody has to get CTE

Agreed, although sometimes the scoring gets a liiiittle silly / degenerate - see most of fencing. It'd be nice to have a martial arts event that actually resembled people legitimately trying to beat each other up, but without, as mentioned, the whole "permanent brain injury" part.

What time are the finals for these weight classes? The official schedule is... questionably formatted.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Kestral posted:

What time are the finals for these weight classes? The official schedule is... questionably formatted.

about 2 hours away as far as i can tell
https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/taekwondo/olympic-schedule-and-results-date=2021-07-24.htm

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Oof, bit too late for me, but I'll definitely need to catch the replays. These finals are both going to be great, and have only increased my hype for the higher weight classes.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the tunisian guy is so gangly, love him

women's final is gonna be more interesting i think... adriana has a lot of energy, while panipak seemed real composed

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
mixed teams exhibition match

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
What is the loud "BEEP BOOP" sound that keeps happening in the arena? As far as I can tell it is not related to the current match I'm watching?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

What is the loud "BEEP BOOP" sound that keeps happening in the arena? As far as I can tell it is not related to the current match I'm watching?

I thought it meant they were supposed to change out but definitely not. This is wild.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Its amazing how fast blue came back and took control.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Here we go

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I don't know what the gently caress is going on

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
what a match!!!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the women's has been a lot more interesting so far... cmon jendoubi

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I am staying to watch because they played CNC Music Factory for that guy's walkout music

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

on the Japanese coverage, the Japanese woman that made it to the semi-finals in the 48kg class (?) had her brother on commentary so it was exactly as bad as you'd imagine.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I like Incorrect Aspect Ratio Tunisian Freddie Mercury. Dude has the longest neck Ive ever seen.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Distorted Kiwi posted:

I like Incorrect Aspect Ratio Tunisian Freddie Mercury. Dude has the longest neck Ive ever seen.

A victory for him will be a victory for remarkably weird looking guys everywhere

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Let me know if he wins I'm going to check out 3v3 basketball for a bit

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
nooo :(

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Let me know if he wins I'm going to check out 3v3 basketball for a bit

He did not.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Two finals end with scores in the last 15 seconds.

exmarx posted:

the tunisian guy is so gangly, love him

women's final is gonna be more interesting i think... adriana has a lot of energy, while panipak seemed real composed

Yeah Panipak ended up having like a slightly better strategy and ended up winning in the end. At least that is what a I think from my deep experience of watching this sport for uhhhfour hours total.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

harperdc posted:

on the Japanese coverage, the Japanese woman that made it to the semi-finals in the 48kg class (?) had her brother on commentary so it was exactly as bad as you'd imagine.

That sounds rad op

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
People more familiar with sport TKD than me: why do the fighters frequently seem to just close in and hug each other until the ref breaks them up? They're clearly forcing the fight to reset, but I don't understand why this is a desirable behavior.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
no combat sport more closely resembles two girls trying to swat spiders off each other than TKD

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

These martial art sports are never as badass as I imagine them to be.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Watch judo.

I'm getting so frustrated watching this TKD. I get that it's sport TKD but all they do is lean way back, keep their hands down, and side kick each other with the rare roundhouse. It's so boring. And I did TKD for a while.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Watch judo.

I'm getting so frustrated watching this TKD. I get that it's sport TKD but all they do is lean way back, keep their hands down, and side kick each other with the rare roundhouse. It's so boring. And I did TKD for a while.

Will be interested to see if the new karate sparring is any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mantis42 posted:

These martial art sports are never as badass as I imagine them to be.

Judo/Wrestling/Boxing