Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Komet posted:

If OSU and Michigan leave, which isn't happening, then I think Penn State books it for the ACC. Some fans have been wanting the school to leave the conference for years, which is stupid considering that it's also an academic consortium, but I can't see PSU sticking around with 2/3 power players bolting.

Becoming the #1 power in a weak B1G and kicking the poo poo out of everyone else actually rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

OU will immediately slot into that second tier that tends to be occupied by a rotation of LSU/UF/UGA/etc

We’ll finally be joining Vandy in the cellar. We will now be able to afford two Lambos, though, so it’s not all bad. Looking forward to cutting some donuts in Hattiesburg when we play USM every five years or w/e

Poor USM. The next round of raids on mid-majors is going to leave them even more hosed than before. Sun Belt Champs 2028

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

fast cars loose anus posted:

I dunno if they never recovered but yes Reggie McNeal came in and beat them in a game that was my first big upset I ever attended in person

We thought he was gonna turn into a Heisman winner after that, but alas

Still the best game that I've personally been (true that I haven't been to too many). Kyle Field got actually LOUD after there was a chance that OU actually could come back very late in the 4th, but had a penalty on the play.
I have never heard it anywhere close to that loud before or sense.

Another memory was the end of half Hail Mary by Reggie from like the 50. He ends up on his back tackled after the throw, sits up, sees the receiver reached the goal line, and those both arms up to celebrate the touchdown (and tie game, I think). Crazy to see and hear live.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Clearly I made this edit too late

All the perennial elites (or, in cases like Texas, teams rich enough to cosplay perennial elites) siloing themselves off in their own NFL D-league and jerking themselves off while the teams small enough to actually be interesting get left out in the cold.

Not a surprising development, to be clear, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna be pissed that it's finally come around.

Came by to check on fellow fan, Spiritus. 100% with you, but the schadenfreud will come from watching UT in the SEC and what is does to both parties over time. Kicker is the scene of watching Aggies who thought they escaped the horns dealing with this news.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SEC manifest destiny

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/1418563662537711618?s=21
hmm

https://twitter.com/mikelesliewfaa/status/1418749742150946816?s=21
HMMMM

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Also Spiritus Nox is a Baylor fan, in case anyone didn’t know that, so, y’know

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

For the record, I would be unhappy about CFB becoming smaller and more consolidated even if I were a fan of one of the ""winning"" teams in this scenario.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There is no loving way this is real.

Clemson and FSU, maybe; I think FSU has had an open invitation for at least a few years now. But there is no way in hell the SEC is going after Michigan or Ohio State, and even if they did I highly doubt either of them would be the slightest bit interested.

If the SEC wants to go to 20 (which I have a hard time believing) then they’d be better off taking OKState and Georgia Tech. Maaaaaybe try to poach NCState and/or UVA if Clemson and/or Georgia Tech don’t work out, but other than that I don’t see a lot of other schools they’d be interested in.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Seriously though what is THIS about?

Is A&M gonna try to leave the GLORIOUS SEC they brag SO HARD about being in just because they’re so loving bitchmade that they can’t bear to share a conference with Texas?

Also is #Texit trending yet on Twitter, and if not, why not?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 24, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

kiimo posted:

I checked Twitter to see if you were the first and found a lot of Texit but for completely different, previously undiscovered and ultra loving crazy right wing reasons.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If that Barstool toad’s info is even true it was probably just “hey do you have any interest in joining?” Followed by “lol no”

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

This is a very weird callout, why was this context needed at all?

PostNouveau posted:

I'm torn between "Hey, OU is just as culpable for its crimes as we are" and "Yeah that's right we're strong-arming those OU dweebs into doing our bidding"

OU isn't innocent in any this but it's much more likely the latter. OU has no reason to leave the Big 12 at all, if UT whipered "hey, we're outta here" OU really would have to tuck its tail between its legs and unwillingly follow along.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Adun posted:

It’s just some dumbass Barstool guy lying out his rear end

Considering Barstool is incapable of producing original content, chances are it exists somewhere else.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

Is A&M gonna try to leave the GLORIOUS SEC they brag SO HARD about being in just because they’re so loving bitchmade that they can’t bear to share a conference with Texas?

They're gonna go right back to the Big 12 aren't they

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TipTow posted:

I think the point was supposed to be Baylor should never have been a Big 12 team in the first place (which...sure).

Doesn't have a damned thing to do with Spiritus's argument, but...yeah. It is kind of funny trying to imagine a world where Rice was in a major conference for the last 25 years.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

A&M 100% has to put on a show of being upset about this to at least appease their fanbase. They stand to gain wayyyy too much money to not ultimately go along with it, though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dirty shrimp money posted:

They're gonna go right back to the Big 12 aren't they

Aggy can finally win that Big 12 title they've always dreamed of

*10 straight years of Iowa State-TCU championship games*

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can’t imagine A&M leaving but maybe getting financially compensated for some sort of absurd conference distress clause if there is even such a thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I want this all to somehow end up with an all Texas conference that doesn’t include Texas.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

George H.W. oval office posted:

I can’t imagine A&M leaving but maybe getting financially compensated for some sort of absurd conference distress clause if there is even such a thing.

Yea, I think they’re trying to figure out who they can sue because they have been made to look extremely dumb.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

You have drunk way too deeply of the burnt orange kool-aid if you think this is even a remote possibility

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grittybeard posted:

TipTow posted:

I think the point was supposed to be Baylor should never have been a Big 12 team in the first place (which...sure).

Doesn't have a damned thing to do with Spiritus's argument, but...yeah. It is kind of funny trying to imagine a world where Rice was in a major conference for the last 25 years.

I meant it more as “of course a fan of a school that’s about to be condemned to eternal irrelevance in a bottom-tier conference with no hope of ever having a shot at a national title again because of this move is gonna be real mad about it”, but to be honest I didn’t read Spiritus’s posts too thoroughly before I posted that, due to how fast this thread has been moving and me being way too eager to read more news updates and funny posts. That was real stupid of me, and I’m sorry if I was out-of-line there; I didn’t mean to sound like a jerk.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 24, 2021

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Clemson has no reason to go anywhere, they're in a dogshit conference that gives them an automatic playoff spot every year AND they've managed to avoid being tainted by the ACC's poor reputation because they've been such playoff mainstays that they always get the voters' benefit of the doubt. It's the best of both worlds, they'd be dumb to sign up to play more than a couple real games a year. If I were a fan (perish the thought), I'd want them to stay exactly where they are.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

Clemson has no reason to go anywhere, they're in a dogshit conference that gives them an automatic playoff spot every year AND they've managed to avoid being tainted by the ACC's poor reputation because they've been such playoff mainstays that they always get the voters' benefit of the doubt. It's the best of both worlds, they'd be dumb to sign up to play more than a couple real games a year. If I were a fan (perish the thought), I'd want them to stay exactly where they are.

Yep. Just like 90s FSU.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/charless_94/status/1418600370721329157

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Thermos H Christ posted:

Of course it would also be EXTREMELY on-brand for Texas to end up getting rejected after a story breaks that we've got our sights set on some big prize and we've got all the pieces lined up and the deal is totally done behind the scenes because who would say no to us

Honestly, I don't have a dog in this fight but I'm rooting for A&M to rally the lesser SEC schools and convince them to veto Texas and thwart the SEC/Texas elites. That way, just ONCE, they don't get everything their way. I'm a fan of the underdog story :)

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

PostNouveau posted:

Remember when we were gonna go with Tech and OSU to the Pac 10?

Good times, good times

Remember when after hearing that rumor, Baylor tried to petition the Pac 10 to rescind CU's invite and take them instead? As a CU fan, I would LOVE IT if Baylor proceeds to come to the Pac 12 on their hands and knees, begging CU to let them in after Texas/OU leave and we just silently close the door in their faces

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 24, 2021

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mack brown wearing shoes like a guy whos about to have some toes amputated.

https://twitter.com/coachmackbrown/status/1418922110135767043?s=21

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DrunkPanda posted:

Remember when after hearing that rumor, Baylor tried to petition the Pac 10 to rescind CU's invite and take them instead? As a CU fan, I would LOVE IT if Baylor proceeds to come to the Pac 12 on their hands and knees, begging CU to let them in after Texas/OU leave and we just silently close the door in their faces

My first time hearing about that. What a weird move

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

RumbleFish posted:

Honestly, OU pretty much has this now, which is why I'm surprised by the move on their part.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Honestly, OU pretty much has this now, which is why I'm surprised by the move on their part.

tv money and the expanded playoff makes it less of a big deal. There will be a bunch of years with at least three SEC teams in the playoff

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
My oldest is about to start at CU in Boulder, so my dual UK - CU football fandom won’t be conflicted by this conference nonsense

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

They won’t. Their administration has to act like they’re appalled and had no choice but to go along otherwise Aggy will January 6 the next Board of Regents meeting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

I meant it more as “of course a fan of a school that’s about to be condemned to eternal irrelevance in a bottom-tier conference with no hope of ever having a shot at a national title again because of this move is gonna be real mad about it”, but to be honest I didn’t read Spiritus’s posts too thoroughly before I posted that, due to how fast this thread has been moving and me being way too eager to read more news updates and funny posts. That was real stupid of me, and I’m sorry if I was out-of-line there; I didn’t mean to sound like a jerk.

I mean I don't expect or really want to get anyone to care about Baylor's position in specific, my main point/complaint is that it feels like the amount of halfway relevant CFB is about to drop like a stone, which strikes me as a loving bummer even if I were a fan of one of the Chosen Few teams in this.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The amount of relevant stays the same, it's just that more of it is now in the S-E-C

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Former Everything posted:

My oldest is about to start at CU in Boulder, so my dual UK - CU football fandom won’t be conflicted by this conference nonsense

Every year since I moved to Denver I keep saying I'm gonna go check out a Buffs game... Hopefully this is the year. I do have some friends in town that are aTm alums...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GD_American posted:

The amount of relevant stays the same, it's just that more of it is now in the S-E-C

Lol no it won't. Oklahoma is not going to become more relevant by leaving behind a power 5 conference it's won five times in a row and Texas is not going to suddenly start being a conference contender after moving to a tougher conference than the one it's been a major factor in for maybe 4 of the 10 whole years I've been watching the sport. They'll be making more money and I'm sure that's all the actual decision makers care about, but the on-field drama and entertainment can only go down. To say nothing of how making the national environment even more obsessed with the SEC further devalues the dozens of teams outside of it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I am super psyched to get to do horns down all the drat time. Can we get Notre Dame to join the SEC too? Putting them in their place is always a joy and I'd love to see it happen more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
A yearly match between Tennessee and Notre Dame to see who gets to be bowl eligible would be a joy