Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm lookin' at the Playstation "Summer Sale" thing... and I'm trying to decide between AssCreed:Greeks, Farcry 4, or DragonQuest Builders 2... Probably will just succumb to the ennui and just play more Mario 3D World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

shoeberto posted:

Wait. I've been posting in a thread with non-PC """gamers""" this whole time.

:twisted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
sometimes i play civ vi on my iphone.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I almost got civ 6 for my switch but I don’t play the pc version either so idk

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i turned on my xbox for the first time in forever to play some halo 1(the mcc version) but there was a 64gb update so i didn't. i thought these were supposed to be downloaded automatically?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

MrQueasy posted:

I'm lookin' at the Playstation "Summer Sale" thing... and I'm trying to decide between AssCreed:Greeks, Farcry 4, or DragonQuest Builders 2... Probably will just succumb to the ennui and just play more Mario 3D World.
oh poo poo dq builders 2 is on sale?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Kenny Logins posted:

35% off https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA11230_00-DQB2DIGITALED001/

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

President Beep posted:

sometimes i play civ vi on my iphone.

civ 2 is nice on a huge screen

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

welp; decide to go back and play a couple more hours of Yakuza 0 to try and find some fun, discover the game has no autosave and expects you to manually save in a phone box (the game at no point teaches you this) and I am set back approximately three hours of game to the start-of-chapter autosave.

I already didn't think the game respected my time with its insanely slow plotting; Uninstalled.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Ciaphas posted:

c snowrunner s: if it's stupid and it works...

I see it's already better because you don't have to load up the same pile of loving logs all the time, gonna get it on sale

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

even better: it's on game pass

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

RustyKnight posted:

I see it's already better because you don't have to load up the same pile of loving logs all the time, gonna get it on sale

there ARE logging missions but they're a) even more optional than everything else, and b) loving terrible grindy bullshit unless you cheat, use multiplayer, or both

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

this was a fun little half-hour project: figuring out how to get a TUZ 420 loaded & packed on a TwinSteer

needs a crane truck & a sturdy wall (in this case, a Pacific P16) to pin the twinsteer in place, and is overall a terrible top-heavy idea, but it was fun

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

having read up a bit more on both i find myself *way* more likely to buy a playdate than a steam deck. got to have that crank. but mostly it is real cute, panic are cool (firewatch, untitled goose game, random mac software), and teenage engineering are cool (i would have the entire pocket operator series if i wasn't so unmusical).

i suspect also that buying either or both they'll either way end up collecting dust, so it is the lesser damage.

yeah i remember that thing, it looked cute. i thought the crank was to charge and didn’t realize it was for input until they were like playing a fishing game or whatever.

i’m in the position where my pc is ancient, so the steam device might actually match or exceed my current graphics card. like on a teraflop basis they’re about equal. not to mention it’s got a tiny ssd, so even the mid-tier is an upgrade. so just getting one of them seems nice to me since i already enjoy playing my switch handheld on the couch. can’t wait for linux on the game pad.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

welp; decide to go back and play a couple more hours of Yakuza 0 to try and find some fun, discover the game has no autosave and expects you to manually save in a phone box (the game at no point teaches you this) and I am set back approximately three hours of game to the start-of-chapter autosave.

I already didn't think the game respected my time with its insanely slow plotting; Uninstalled.

they should have had you save at a pachinko machine, phone booths are too passé

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

civ 2 is nice on a huge screen

where can I get a legit copy of civ ii these days? I played zillions of hours of it on my parents pizza box Mac back in the day

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Isn't freeciv just civ 2?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eeyo posted:

they should have had you save at a pachinko machine, phone booths are too passé

they should give you a cell phone so you can save anywhere :xd:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

where can I get a legit copy of civ ii these days? I played zillions of hours of it on my parents pizza box Mac back in the day

i still have my cd, but i think you can get it here (don't get the gold edition, it's worse on the mac)

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/civilization-ii

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i won, i like the little territory animation at the end

I meant to reply to this ages ago but forgot. Are there any must have tweaks or mods you'd recommend if I want to play alpha centurai in 2021?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsQVD5ttpog

huh its been that long has not it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I meant to reply to this ages ago but forgot. Are there any must have tweaks or mods you'd recommend if I want to play alpha centurai in 2021?

I bought the gog version recently and went into the game totally blind (never even really played civ before tbh) and I found it was perfectly fine, fwiw. Maybe there are some high res mods out there but the core gameplay/UI is solid.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this is what i have from last time this subject came up, can't remember who said it

quote:

protip: buy sid meier's alpha centauri on gog.com (it comes with the expansion), install it, go to the install directory, edit "Alpha Centauri.ini", set DirectDraw=0 and it will run at your native resolution with no problems/lovely scaling (running it on 2560x1440 here and it looks sw8).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shoeberto posted:

I bought the gog version recently and went into the game totally blind (never even really played civ before tbh) and I found it was perfectly fine, fwiw. Maybe there are some high res mods out there but the core gameplay/UI is solid.

I had some issues with the scaling, although the post below yours fixed that.

Kenny Logins posted:

this is what i have from last time this subject came up, can't remember who said it

:tipshat: Thanks!

I completely forgot we had an alpha centauri thread and this was in the first post there. :doh:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Eeyo posted:

yeah i remember that thing, it looked cute. i thought the crank was to charge and didn’t realize it was for input until they were like playing a fishing game or whatever.

i’m in the position where my pc is ancient, so the steam device might actually match or exceed my current graphics card. like on a teraflop basis they’re about equal. not to mention it’s got a tiny ssd, so even the mid-tier is an upgrade. so just getting one of them seems nice to me since i already enjoy playing my switch handheld on the couch. can’t wait for linux on the game pad.

ah, that is a probably pretty uncommon but genuinely good-sounding case for the steam deck yeah.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Eeyo posted:

same except i also don't have a switch but i do have a 600+ game steam library.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

kenny get the awitch!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

President Beep posted:

kenny get the awitch!
i'll wait until the steam deck, or the switch pro, whatever comes first. no rush

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
there is no way the steam deck thing isnt terrible

we are 15 years into apple being the most successful company in the world and people still dont get that the software has to be designed for the ui hardware to have any chance of a good experience? you cant just cram a pc game into a powerful switch and expect it to be enjoyable

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

poty posted:

we are 15 years into apple being the most successful company in the world and people still dont get that the software has to be designed for the ui hardware to have any chance of a good experience? you cant just cram a pc game into a powerful switch and expect it to be enjoyable

lol the new game from Amazon has ruined multiple modern high-end GPUs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

poty posted:

in general yeah but as far as games are concerned a bunch of games get ported to switch with no real ui changes. the "ui" in question is the universal standard videogame controller and both switch and deck have that

steam deck is going to be terrible for other reasons

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

switch works fine. your holding it wrong.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the switch is a perfect device. nintendo are so good at this poo poo by now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’m so glad we got one

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

and i have a switch lite of my own :twisted:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

President Beep posted:

and i have a switch lite of my own :twisted:

this is key when the kids discover pokemans.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

one complaint i do have is about the ecosystem though. with virtual console on the wii you could buy all sorts of games, up to n64 titles iirc. no such luck on the switch.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’d be cool to play wind waker or w/e but not in the form of some $60 remaster bs

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

President Beep posted:

it’d be cool to play wind waker or w/e but not in the form of some $60 remaster bs

gamecube emnulation is realyl good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bump_fn posted:

gamecube emnulation is realyl good

on pc though? eh…

I don’t want it that badly