Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You hate to see an art gaffe

With what we know about dinosaurs, diego brando's stand form should have feathers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You say that but pre-redesign Iggy remains the finest represenation of a boston terrier ever put to paper.

It captures the soul of that kind of dog.

E: Also re: Araki's art
His stylistic choices, his posing, his paneling and perspective, makes more sense when you consider that hes a massive fashion/haute couture buff and draws a incredibly from that scene.

You see that with the evolution of his artstyle, moving from what he had otiginally, the very common 'lets all copy Fist of the North Star' of the 80s of impossibly broad shouldered men and rippling muscle to the lithe and slight figures (like youd see on a catwalk!) of his current jojolion.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 24, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
saying araki cant draw is an insane take.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hello police, we found the rear end-thief

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc the jjba games use really hosed up models and posing to match the crazy perspective from the manga.

But like that pose looks perfectly fine? The tail is between the buttocks and the legs don't look crazy to me?

Its not even very close to the camera, which is when things get really fudged like that goku kamehama animation from fighterZ with the big ol' hands

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc the jjba games use really hosed up models and posing to match the crazy perspective from the manga.

But like that pose looks perfectly fine? The tail is between the buttocks and the legs don't look crazy to me?

Its not even very close to the camera, which is when things get really fudged like that goku kamehama animation from fighterZ with the big ol' hands

yeah they needed to do that so they can emulate foreshortening and not gently caress around with the 3d FOV

This is from the opening to Battle Tendency but the same idea is here

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It is a time-honoured goon tradition to look at a stylised figure, or an image where the anatomy is maybe even right but doesn't look like Marvel house style, and unleash a powerful "the anatomy!" scoff.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

fun hater posted:

saying araki cant draw is an insane take.

The guy drew an officially-licensed manga for The Louvre, but I guess his anatomy is a little wonky sometimes so he's just another talentless hack.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Drawing an officially liscenced manga for the louvre is hackier than drawing a great, funny dog.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Begemot posted:

The guy drew an officially-licensed manga for The Louvre, but I guess his anatomy is a little wonky sometimes so he's just another talentless hack.
Is there more than one???

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah they've done a bunch of collaborations with comic artists. Here's the cover of Araki's:

The really weird one was Mujirushi: The Sign of Dreams, which was done by Naoki Urasawa and is also a crossover with Osomatsu-san.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:psyduck:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jedit posted:

Are you looking at that picture, where the tail is attached to the right buttock and the right leg is attached to Christ knows what and rotated at an impossible angle, and thinking that the artist can draw? It's eye-watering.

Y’all know Araki’s been displayed in the Louvre, right

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jedit'd again

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alaois posted:

jedit'd again
gently caress, you're right.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What is the hackiest thing you've seen in a museum? for me it's this https://www.mfa.org/gallery/boston-on-the-eve-of-revolution-and-the-new-nation

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Y’all know Araki’s been displayed in the Louvre, right

I have no beef with Araki specifically, I don't know anything about him or his art past what's been posted here. Someone said the picture I disliked wasn't drawn by him anyway, so I don't think we have a beef here either.

(That said, the Louvre were at one time planning to display a 12-metre tall cubist installation that looked like a man loving a dog and only cancelled because someone said "Hey, that installation looks like a man loving a dog". So I wouldn't rush to use "it was displayed in the Louvre" as a benchmark for what constitutes great art.)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Amazing lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
What is it supposed to look like?!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

wow thats really what it looks like exactly

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

mycot posted:

What is it supposed to look like?!

a robot loving a robot dog

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Amazing lol

Now this....

this is art

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I dunno wtf you're all talking about these dogs are perfectly normal

Am I stepping into some bait by pointing out Secco is actually a person, but set up as a "human pet" by his demented torturer?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Am I stepping into some bait by pointing out Secco is actually a person, but set up as a "human pet" by his demented torturer?

I believe that would be what we refer to as "the joke" yes

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Regy Rusty posted:

I believe that would be what we refer to as "the joke" yes

Okay good, those Jedit posts about Jojo having bad art are really throwing off my calibrations

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Okay good, those Jedit posts about Jojo having bad art are really throwing off my calibrations

I don't blame you, they were alarming posts

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Thinking of sharing something to the rear end in a top hat webcomics thread for assholes, but I forgot how small the text is.

Is this too much trouble to read? If so, would it be advisable to post pages at a greater width than 900p?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I can read it and it's good, OP.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Android Blues posted:

I can read it and it's good, OP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

peck the fuckers eyes out then take all the fish

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Solitair posted:

Thinking of sharing something to the rear end in a top hat webcomics thread for assholes, but I forgot how small the text is.

Is this too much trouble to read? If so, would it be advisable to post pages at a greater width than 900p?

Is this comic available to read in full anywhere? It's very good.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Is this comic available to read in full anywhere? It's very good.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110219000828/http://www.geneva-street.com/duncanthewonderdog/index.html

Plankhandles
Oct 11, 2012

So, I've been out of the Webcomics Reading Business for a few years and wanted to dive back in as a way to wind down at night. I've been keeping an open mind and reading at least a few pages of everything I've chosen to click. As with all things there are a lot of duds, a good amount of middling work, and a few gems. Not very many things have really taken me by surprise... Except for, of all things, a sparkledeer comic I stumbled across. If someone had told me two weeks ago that I'd read through the archive of something like this, I'd have called them nuts. But the art is really gorgeous, and I couldn't help taking my time to enjoy the colors, the environmental designs, the effects. The characters are a little flat, but the worldbuilding and plot (which finally hit, after 100+ pages) have the potential to be fun as they grow. It's http://goldenshrike.thecomicseries.com/ for anyone who's interested.

But it got me wondering: What are some webcomics that have caught you by surprise? Ones that left you reading longer than you would have expected. I'd really like to expose myself to new works and I'm hoping this is a good way to find some that are worthwhile!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Plankhandles posted:

But it got me wondering: What are some webcomics that have caught you by surprise? Ones that left you reading longer than you would have expected. I'd really like to expose myself to new works and I'm hoping this is a good way to find some that are worthwhile!

i've talked about this comic a few times in various places but in college i had a really boring desk job where i was basically left to browse online for 6 hours every day. eventually you run out of internet to look at, so i spent some time trawling smackjeeves (the internet archive has a vast amount of these comics, if not all of them, backed up btw). you're going to think im insane when i post this because it looks exactly like an anime comic from a preteen in the mid-2000s. because im pretty sure it was one.

there was a 23 page abandoned comic by what must have been a young teen girl that i fell in love with because of its premise and surprising honesty that shone through. its very clearly a thinly veiled wish fulfilment comic in a way that felt really familiar: the main character is a preteen who dresses in the gothic lolita style, has a gay best friend and a treasure trove of yaoi that her mom approves of. but...

she's struggling from a common artistic problem at that age: you have oodles of incredible resources, you have examples you can try to replicate, you have a vivid and clear vision in your mind. but your hands are not deft or trained enough to keep with your mind's eye. been there.

anyway then she makes a hysterically insane wish which is when i was like "alright now we're playing with fire"

we never see the result of her wishing on a star. like, literally, we never actually see any men act gay for her enjoyment. what happens is she makes her wish at the exact same time as someone else, which means she and the other wisher have to fight for their wish to come true TO THE MAGICAL GIRL DEATH.

it ends almost immediately after this. im so bummed out. i want more off the cuff silly kids comics that tap into legitimately great ideas. i love the idea of having to fight to the death for your insanely stupid wish to come true. its like if someone casually looked up at the night sky and wished for a burger but to get it they have to beat up a stranger.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

fun hater posted:

its like if someone casually looked up at the night sky and wished for a burger but to get it they have to beat up a stranger.

This works actually, even without the night sky. The trick is to take their wallet.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Plankhandles posted:

So, I've been out of the Webcomics Reading Business for a few years and wanted to dive back in as a way to wind down at night. I've been keeping an open mind and reading at least a few pages of everything I've chosen to click. As with all things there are a lot of duds, a good amount of middling work, and a few gems. Not very many things have really taken me by surprise... Except for, of all things, a sparkledeer comic I stumbled across. If someone had told me two weeks ago that I'd read through the archive of something like this, I'd have called them nuts. But the art is really gorgeous, and I couldn't help taking my time to enjoy the colors, the environmental designs, the effects. The characters are a little flat, but the worldbuilding and plot (which finally hit, after 100+ pages) have the potential to be fun as they grow. It's http://goldenshrike.thecomicseries.com/ for anyone who's interested.

Hitmen For Destiny

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Plankhandles posted:

Dr. McNinja. I still have so much trouble getting people to read it because on paper it sounds like the stupidest monkeycheese bullshit. And it almost is. But the logic is internally consistent, the characters have depth and charm, the writing is goddamn hilarious...

And when I try to recommend it, all they hear is 'late 2000s ninja meme thing'

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 30, 2021

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I try to describe it in these terms. It's as if Chris Hastings took it as a challenge to write a fully satisfying and worthwhile comic in a setting constructed entirely out of what should be the thinnest jokes imaginable, and somehow succeeded with flying colors. It's drat impressive.

"2000s monkey cheese" is the worldbuilding theme which is then taken for granted, like when other people tell stories in which everyone happens to be some kind of monster or fantasy creature or something and it stops standing out. The actual plot just kinda takes the characters resulting from that theme and tells the best story it can with them. An imaginative and fun story, genuinely compelling at times. It's a funny comic, but the humor comes from putting time and effort into ideas that you'd think couldn't hold up to that.

Disclaimer: I don't remember the early parts of the comic very well, maybe the praises I'm desperately singing are absolute lies when you go and read from the beginning.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 30, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Naw Mcninja was good from the get go. Remember, it started as a one off project (an art school assignment iirc?) that people liked enough for him to keep doing. One of the arcs before he brought on a colorist is Dracula's moon base, which may be the best part of the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
In Wilde news - I wonder what specifically Oscar is freaking out about here. There's so many possibilities!

Is it:

1. That Sheol is powerful and teleports and could now be anywhere, and now he will want to kill Cliff too, and he didn't ACTUALLY get stomped into smoke
2. That Clifford just lost the shroud keeping him safe specifically from beings like this
3. That Sheol is specifically looking for an "interesting person" so as to steal their soul, and might now realize he has two interesting people here.
4. Oscar had some sort of plan??
5. Something completely unexpected
6. All of the above (except 4, obviously)4