Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

What the fucks been happening since then? Nothing! How long ago was that jesus.

Three pages were spent on Snout contemplating life after some rear end in a top hat said he didn’t like him. What more do you want?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Sword fights

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The newspaper comics thread is following the current Rex Morgan, MD storyline, where the precocious child genius artist (who forgot she was a child genius artist after suffering a head injury in a hit-and-run) sent an enormous fanfic manuscript to her favorite children's book author, whose name is an anagram for Dav Pilkey, and the idea-dead author ended up loving it sooo much he is now offering her a book deal on it. Each and every step along the way, whenever there's a hint of conflict--oh no! The author tells the kid he may have to change her words or artwork a little bit!--the next day it's all cool, the kid says she's A-OK with that, and everybody goes back to being just so amazed at her genius work. I don't know whether I should be impressed or frightened that someone else is currently displaying the same handle on tension and pacing that Mookie has.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That's newspaper comics though, where readers are probably going to forget any plot details that happened two days ago. I mean, not to say it's good, but I'm willing to bet the author is fully aware of what they are doing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait what the gently caress

Mookie already set up his antagonists and the plot structure, its right there. Snout and co should be chasing the rogue inkwitch and baldbadman as they strike at libriaries across the world, erasing books and hoarding all the ink. Their desire to keep knowledge to themselves was right there in their introduction with them wiping the books and then followed by the long long exposition panels.

And now I’ve got the imagery of her lair having a stone dais, above which hovers an ever-growing globe of ink as she steals more and more knowledge.

That could even be the basis for a climactic battle: backed into a corner, the Redactor animates the whole wellspring of stolen ink into a guardian monster (like a “book wyrm”paper dragon made up of thousands of pages :v:), or it turns out that all of that accumulated knowledge took on a life of its own and the new entity busts itself out of her control and becomes a far greater threat than she ever was.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Instead, the only thing we really know about the Redactor from her actual appearance is that she seemed upset that The Ink Witch was abusing Snout (she appeared almost immediately after Mookie was called out for how creepy that relationship was) and tried to arrest her.

For all we've seen, the Redditor and Slappy McFist were actually cops.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think Mookie genuinely forgot about them, or just hasn't thought of anything for them to do yet so he's ignoring them

Watch, now that we've brought them up they'll appear in the comic this next week, confirming our suspicions that Mookie reads this thread

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
We don't even know if Redactor is the epithet that the other people she deals with use when referring to her. All we know is that it's what Ink Witch and Arudak have decided to call her, presumably without her input.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's newspaper comics though, where readers are probably going to forget any plot details that happened two days ago. I mean, not to say it's good, but I'm willing to bet the author is fully aware of what they are doing.

It is interesting how newspaper comics will often recap previous events since you've gotta compensate for readers who might have just jumped in or missed the last paper. Mookie also does this with the Legacy but for no reason, recreating the same horrible pacing with no benefits.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't know if manga does it much - although for all his love of anime do we have any evidence he reads/read manga? It seems like he draws from bad 90s anime more than actual manga, which fits with his age and what the fandom was like for us back then - but western comics used to and sometimes still do that, although now they tend to have a splash page of sorts to bring new readers up to speed.

I mean Stan Lee did famously once say that every comic is somebody's first comic. But for a webcomic where perusing the backlog and bringing yourself up to speed is trivial and requires only an investment of time, rather than of time and money and - in many cases given how hard back issues could be to find - effort - yeah. There's no excuse.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
In a post-Deegan interview Mookie does credit manga for Dominic Deegan being in black and white, but you don't really get constant recaps in shonen manga. Just going by the og series format and how Mookie would sometimes needlessly recap things there as well he's definitely also influenced by newspaper comics.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Mookie's How To Draw Manga book didn't come with a How To Write Manga book, so here we are.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He's seen Tenchi Muyo, what more do you want?!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Regalingualius posted:

And now I’ve got the imagery of her lair having a stone dais, above which hovers an ever-growing globe of ink as she steals more and more knowledge.

That could even be the basis for a climactic battle: backed into a corner, the Redactor animates the whole wellspring of stolen ink into a guardian monster (like a “book wyrm”paper dragon made up of thousands of pages :v:), or it turns out that all of that accumulated knowledge took on a life of its own and the new entity busts itself out of her control and becomes a far greater threat than she ever was.

gently caress it, you could go nuts. Have it be some sort of conceptual entity connected to the noosphere/the sum total of recorded knowledge: you can stab it in the eye for massive damage, sure, but now no-one knows how to smelt iron anymore. Go nuts! It's a fantasy realm where anything is possible, but instead you're visiting a library to make a 5th-grade report out of things that are already well-known and recorded.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

maltesh posted:

We don't even know if Redactor is the epithet that the other people she deals with use when referring to her. All we know is that it's what Ink Witch and Arudak have decided to call her, presumably without her input.
Ink Witch explicitly says (two chapters after her appearance) "[...]this is the name we've chosen for her after she erased your diary in Mongreltown". She's a "rising star" in Ink Witch's coven who has "growing influence"...who apparently nobody bothered to call anything until she interacted with Snout.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That could even work as a hook: joining their coven involves giving up their true name, so they all started referring to each other by titles that they chose for each other. Redactor takes issue with this, and has been hunting for knowledge of an alternative so she can have the power and her name.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SubG posted:

Ink Witch explicitly says (two chapters after her appearance) "[...]this is the name we've chosen for her after she erased your diary in Mongreltown". She's a "rising star" in Ink Witch's coven who has "growing influence"...who apparently nobody bothered to call anything until she interacted with Snout.

Presumably, this means all the Ink Witches have names, since nicknames ARE names. So why doesn't Snout's Ink Witch have one?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

wait what the gently caress

Mookie already set up his antagonists and the plot structure, its right there. Snout and co should be chasing the rogue inkwitch and baldbadman as they strike at libriaries across the world, erasing books and hoarding all the ink. Their desire to keep knowledge to themselves was right there in their introduction with them wiping the books and then followed by the long long exposition panels.

You say antagonist, but Arudak and Ink Witch got away from Redactrix and Slappy McGee with no issue whatsoever, which immediately deflates whatever potential threat they had.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Arudak and Ink Witch's confrontation with those two characters was apparently so uneventful that neither one of them felt it necessary to mention what happened to Snout when they reunited. And keeping in line with "What one character knows, everyone knows" in Mookie's writing, since Arudak and Ink Witch knew the confrontation was uneventful, so too does Snout, and that is why he felt no need to ask about it either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So Snout and Plantgirl get chosen to help out because who better to fight someone who keeps stealing knowledge than two people who know nothing at all? :v

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Synthbuttrange posted:

So Snout and Plantgirl get chosen to help out because who better to fight someone who keeps stealing knowledge than two people who know nothing at all? :v

That could actually be an interesting plot line (invoking the "holy fool" archetype), but it would clash with how Snout is meant to be book smart. And now Planty has caught the reading bug?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

amigolupus posted:

You say antagonist, but Arudak and Ink Witch got away from Redactrix and Slappy McGee with no issue whatsoever, which immediately deflates whatever potential threat they had.

It’s funny how Mookie decided “they all disappeared” no longer meant Arudak and Ink Witch were taken against their will, so after Snout was pummeled into unconsciousness by Slappy his friends just left him there in the street like a dog.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Twelve by Pies posted:

Arudak and Ink Witch's confrontation with those two characters was apparently so uneventful that neither one of them felt it necessary to mention what happened to Snout when they reunited. And keeping in line with "What one character knows, everyone knows" in Mookie's writing, since Arudak and Ink Witch knew the confrontation was uneventful, so too does Snout, and that is why he felt no need to ask about it either.

Yet another thing that Snout "Character Trait: Curiosity" Mongrelman wasn't curious enough to ask about.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's in things like this that the comic really suffers from "no dialogue". Now, you may say, "But Mookie throws entire pages of text up whenever he wants!" and you would be correct. But what he still can't quite do is show conversation. Everyone occasionally just throws out a bunch of writing and there's little time to clarify anything (especially as his attention drifts to the next thing he wants to talk about.) Like in DD he uses conversation all the time to spackle over holes in the plot and say "Oh by the way the demon works like this" because again, he's giving us a first draft and inventing the justifications as he goes. Now he doesn't have as much space to do the plot spackle and so it's more transparent that he just discards ideas as he gets bored. It's just "What if a woman is a possessed corpse but she's better now" or "Orc library?" with the faintest of connective tissue. We're reading *notes* on a story someone could write in the future.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dominic Deegan fan - You've got this whole world planned out haven't you?

Mookie - *looks in notebook* There's nothing, only a hastily written note. It says - "sexy vine clone corpse?"

Mookie - Yes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dominic Deegan fan - You've got this whole world planned out haven't you?

Mookie - *looks in notebook* There's nothing, only a hastily written note. It says - "sexy vine clone corpse?"

Mookie - Yes.

"Dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks dicks boobs."

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's kinda funny that we speculate that the Redactor was tossed in to take the heat off of Ink Witch when Mookie got some pushback for her being a manipulative creep, but that she was added too late to have any of it attributed to her.

Like, it could have been that she was the one piloting the ship back in the Wild Edge, hence the callous disregard for people and wildlife as it buzzed around at low altitude. She could have blown up Snout's house to rescue her companion, and then while the Ink Witch was recuperating she sent the pagefinder to lie to him and urge him into dangerous situations in pursuit of the pages, viewing him as an expendable means to retrieve them without risk to herself.

But no, by that point, that had all been absolutely established as the Ink Witch's own doing, so by the time she shows up, she's the absolute crudest sort of redirection possible. Quick, look: a distraction!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Im the actual storyline with villains/conflict thats only been mentioned vaguely in passing in favor of 1000 pages of snout looking sad followed by people giving him the condescending smile of someone watching a dog lick a photo of a hamburger

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Emrikol posted:

It's kinda funny that we speculate that the Redactor was tossed in to take the heat off of Ink Witch when Mookie got some pushback for her being a manipulative creep, but that she was added too late to have any of it attributed to her.

Like, it could have been that she was the one piloting the ship back in the Wild Edge, hence the callous disregard for people and wildlife as it buzzed around at low altitude. She could have blown up Snout's house to rescue her companion, and then while the Ink Witch was recuperating she sent the pagefinder to lie to him and urge him into dangerous situations in pursuit of the pages, viewing him as an expendable means to retrieve them without risk to herself.

But no, by that point, that had all been absolutely established as the Ink Witch's own doing, so by the time she shows up, she's the absolute crudest sort of redirection possible. Quick, look: a distraction!

Hell, even if Mookie attributed those things to Redactress, it doesn't change the fact that Ink Witch was the one sneaking into Snout's bed to give him non-consensual naked cuddling and invade his dreams. She wasn't even sorry for doing it, she was sorry because she got caught.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

amigolupus posted:

Hell, even if Mookie attributed those things to Redactress, it doesn't change the fact that Ink Witch was the one sneaking into Snout's bed to give him non-consensual naked cuddling and invade his dreams. She wasn't even sorry for doing it, she was sorry because she got caught.

Yeah, that was all her, but the part where she blew up his house and then lied to him to get him to retrieve the stuff she wanted from the lairs of dangerous plants and animals could have been shoved off onto her purportedly malevolent rival.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

Or maybe just "Put the 'romance' back in 'necromancy'!"

And then a drawing of dickbutt

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Chapter 20: the Shadow of Siegfried Part 3

we start with some fanart time including mostly just to show how Mookie was a part of the web, community at the time. And how much better most of them were that he was at drawing

this is just a small thing but I hate that second panel. He always feels the need to call out how much efforts saving the day is for Dominic. If he just did it sparingly, it would be fine. But Mookie has a constantly remind us of what a good dude Dominic is and how much he suffers for everything that goes on.

again this is pretty cliché, the blood coming out of the nose due to psychic stress in particular. But I hate is also that Mookie can’t think of any way to represent mental combat other than physical sword swings. What exactly does that represent? What sort of damage is Siegfried doing? And how are they fighting back? There is no difference between these mental battles, and Luna physically blasting people with magic laser beams.

I do have to credit Mookie on at least experimenting a little bit with the format. But it gets old fast

Here at least we understand that the armor that Milov is manifesting appears to come from his memories of Jayden. That’s at least something that you can point to as a symbolic representation of a abstract idea being used in mental combat. Now if only Mookie would do it at any other point when he does these sort of things.

I like that it’s memories of friendship with Siegfried that keep him at bay here.

Mookie then instantly ruins whatever moderates coolness his story had generated by having Dominic call out what just happened and explain it in the dumbest terms. Am I the only one who feels this way? That calling out what you just represented symbolically in art effectively ruins the symbolism? Even just having characters acknowledge it in universe annoys me. Just let it stand on its own!

More harping about poor widdle Dominic. Don’t worry though, he’s just going to hand off his duties to the proxy Deegan. I mean this literally, he will tell Nimmel what to do, because heaven forfend that Dominic not still be the ultimate controller of the situation.

Loyalty in this case will be blowing up a church. I don’t hate this beat, of having Jayden imagine a reconciliation like this, on its own. But too little this story has been about Jayden up to this point, so it doesn’t really feel like it makes sense.

I’m just as well the surprise, the person Dominic is talkingis yet again his mother. Once again the protagonist of this web comic calls his mommy and to solve his problems.

Pretty obvious that this comic was addressed to Mookie’s angry fans, accusing him of once again allowing Dominic to manipulate everything. You’re really starting to see the feedback loop of Mookie trying to get ahead of his critics.

Werewolves wear the dumbest clothing. It’s a tiny thing but I love the absolutely enormous pine trees. Look at the scale of those tiny figures next to them.

Mookie did some filler art at this point. None of these things would actually come to pass.

this is another dynamic that I hate about Mookie story. Even places where it would make sense for there to be xenophobia, he can’t commit to it. Instantly, the tension of Nimmel being the stranger here is diffused because obviously it’s only a few bad apples who are distrustful of him, despite all the buildup we’ve had about how resistant the werewolves should be. He doesn’t need to prove himself, he doesn’t need to prove the villains wrong in any way, instantly people love him because he’s a protagonist.

this seems an extreme course of action but given how little we know about werewolf culture in general, it’s really not possible to tell whether or not this make sense. I know that fantasy stores can can err on the side of too much world building, but it really feels like Mookie is the other extreme. Everything about the werewolves exist just as convenient props for Mookie to use in his story, they don’t feel real.

of course, yet another chance for the Deegan clan and hangers on to talk about how awesome and cool and special they are. I can’t really speak to Milov’s whole proclamation and then immediate backpedaling, other than to say that again it makes the actions and punishment seem arbitrary.I mean, none of the other priests in the archipelago did anything wrong either.

of course, everybody has heard about the attack already, since no one can have partial knowledge in the Deeganverse. At least is a chance for some drama though!

More filler

Except, no, wait, nevermind. Nimmel is instantly able to talk his way out of it. I hate how quickly this resolves and how instantly opposition to Nimmel melts away in the space of one strip. It’s just so lame! He is not to prove himself, he doesn’t have to deal with his guilt coming back again or anything. Just three panels of dialogue and everything is resolved. Hell, the elder who called him out even sort of like him now.

It’s very tedious and one note to keep harping on the loyalty thing of the werewolves over and over again. We get it. Nimmel will obviously learn no such thing during his college frat arc.

time for the climactic final battle

again, is this real? Is this an illusion? Dream? Who knows.

Have to get in Tessa choking in the corner there. Would not be a Deegan fight without a woman in peril!

I’d like some information on how this sacred protection works, because it’s interesting that two wildly different pantheons appear to provide the same protection. It doesn’t really matter but again, I at least prefer there to be some consistency or logic in magic so that you can know what to expect or guess at what the solution might be.

But that’s just me.

so, we’ve established that this is all happening in some sort of mental plane, right? Because their bodies are physically on the ground in the church.so did Milov and Nimmel incept their way in? Are they unconscious now too? Could Nimmel do this before? Are those still happy memories Milov is using to kamehameha everything?

What does “where’s Jayden” mean in this context? Is there actually a set geography to this mental plane? People can get seperated and lost on it? What does that mean?

once again, demons are just able to flip an evil switching you and turn you over, without any actual effort on their part to tempt you or lead you astray. It’s the dumbest sort of demonic possession. Mookie should have spent at least a strip having the Siegfried apparition talk to Jayden and turned her against Milov

again, no real set rules at the heart of this is supposed to work.

Finally, we get to the point of this. Time for the character assassination of Sigfried Gunther Aern Damaske von Callan.

another filler, I’m including it because this is where you see movies weird fetish for cannibalism in hell, for the first time. Whenever there is a subsequent arc in hell from this point on it’s going to be tons of people eating people

of course the solution is that good old Deegan staple

Here it is, yet another infamous strip in DD history. Mookie took one of his most nuanced characters, the one whose death was maybe legitimately the only truly impactful event in his entire comic’s history, and retroactively makes him a literal child murderer. Setting aside the analysis of how an apparently teenage Siegfried would even go about committing this mass murder on his own, I want to talk about authorship and authorial intent here. Mookie, like a lot of immature people on the Internet, understands fiction as if things in it just happened, and onto a product of deliberate intent on the part of the author. Here he was trying to get people to stop liking Siegfried, so just like with Blackhole Bill In Star Power, he has the character do what he thinks is an unforgivable act. But since he already lost his fan base’s goodwill, they were willing to follow along with this, and were rightfully angry that Mookie undermined his own narrative because he disliked the fandom one of his characters was getting. I’ve been thinking about what authors owe their fans, and I think with serialized fiction in particular, there is a certain responsibility not to ruin things retroactively like this. I mean, there’s nothing ultimately anyone can do about Mookie’s choices, but I don’t think by this point in the comic anyone owed him any sort of goodwill or meeting him halfway.

Anyway, sort of random musings, but it’s making me think about how much fiction at its best is somewhat of a collaborative art between the author and the audience, and that when you lose that collaboration you end up with things like legacy, where the author is second-guessing his own work to thwart his audience. Or pieces whose only audience is people who hate it.

see, Jayden hates him, now you should too!

This is the last time Jayden will speak until the wedding, I’m pretty sure.

just absolutely allergic to tension.

Problem solved ! Moving on! Don’t dwell on Sigfried or his fate! He’s done and gone and you don’t need to think about him anymore!

Of course, once again, Luna’s sole characterization is that she is ugly and has low self-esteem because of it. Somehow in an art that didn’t even need to include her at all, she still manages to slip in some self-pity.

see! Once again it’s about her and her ineptitude! It can never be about anyone else. She is literally the worst character ever.

Mookie also loves having his characters make little effigies to vanquish their foes symbolically. It’s weirdly childish, and the fact that it happens so often with a variety of characters makes it all the more weird

Just blows up a building with people nearby! Hopefully there’s no shrapnel or debris! I love just how unnecessarily violent this last act is. No ceremony, no planning, just magic laser beam. And of course Jayden had to watch it happen too.

and of course, Milov still gets to be the good guy in the end. He doesn’t need a vow of silence or a death pilgrimage to redeem himself! Obviously Mookie was responding to people pointing out how terrible milov was being, so this letter is here to once again right the scales and make it clear that no Deegan friend can ever be bad in any way.

What follows are 3 strips pushing the overarching plot forward. I don’t have much to say about them, other than I don’t hate them.

next up,a stupid fake out leading to a dumb marriage proposal, and then yet another incredibly stupid arc that I actually am very excited for, The Oracle Hunter!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Feverishly insisting Milov is the best guy as he forcefully expels an entire religious group just to save face.

quote:

What follows are 3 strips pushing the overarching plot forward. I don’t have much to say about them, other than I don’t hate them.
They would be okay in isolation or if they lead to anything but if I remember Mookie keeps doing these at the end of every arc showing Dominic knows that Big Things Are Going Down and then has him going off doing the most irrelevant bullshit.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Pretty bold to outright say you can't love Sigfried anymore and have to hate him now. Dominic practically turned to the audience and said "You don't like this character anymore". And yet Spark and Luna are by far the most insufferable characters in this arc.

Beelzebufo posted:

Loyalty in this case will be blowing up a church. I don’t hate this beat, of having Jayden imagine a reconciliation like this, on its own. But too little this story has been about Jayden up to this point, so it doesn’t really feel like it makes sense.

The way the last panel is framed makes me think this is supposed to be Milov's imagination. I'd be shocked if Mookie let Jayden want anything besides shaming at this point.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I don't hate the idea of Jayden joining Siggy and turning against Milov, especially since Milov tried to murder her (well, he succeeded in murdering her, it's just that it was dumb luck that it was an illusion). Hell, Siggy could even lie to her and claim that she could help save his soul to tempt her. It would've been a lot better than "Demon possesses her now she evil."

And yeah, the whole "Nimmel can stay because he didn't do anything wrong" is loving ridiculous when he's expelling all the Callanian priests from the land and destroying their church despite the fact that those priests and the church itself did nothing wrong. He can't have it both ways: either all Callanian influence needs to be removed from the werewolf lands, which would include Nimmel, or only the ones directly responsible for the betrayal need to be removed, which would just be Jayden and the church should be able to stay. The way it goes down makes no sense.

Finally lol at the big reveal of how Siggy was actually evil all along. It's so bizarre because it's the complete opposite of how Stonewater's rape was treated. "This person did a horrible thing but that doesn't make them a horrible person they had their reasons." I think that's a bullshit excuse, but if that's how he wants to present how a character did this evil thing, then okay, sure, but then to turn around and go "But this person did a horrible thing and that makes them a horrible person even if they had their reasons" is absurd. I mean poo poo, if he can invent some Rube Goldberg-esque reason why a little girl had to be raped then it's pretty easy to do the same with murder.

Also I want to note: Mookie totally loving cheated here. The scene that shows Siggy's irredeemable evil was already shown. It was one of the visions Dominic got when he saw Siggy's father at the beginning of The War in Hell Part 8. To be slightly fair there was another image which showed Siggy beating up an orc while his father stood in the background smiling, but to say that it was actually Siggy standing there with his back turned in front of the hanging orcs makes it the only vision Dominic saw that didn't actually have Siggy's father in it, which shouldn't have happened considering that's who the visions were supposed to be about.

And it's definitely meant to be the exact same scene, not just one similar, because he made sure to draw all the hanging bodies with the exact same clothes and in the exact same position.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Twelve by Pies posted:

Finally lol at the big reveal of how Siggy was actually evil all along. It's so bizarre because it's the complete opposite of how Stonewater's rape was treated. "This person did a horrible thing but that doesn't make them a horrible person they had their reasons." I think that's a bullshit excuse, but if that's how he wants to present how a character did this evil thing, then okay, sure, but then to turn around and go "But this person did a horrible thing and that makes them a horrible person even if they had their reasons" is absurd. I mean poo poo, if he can invent some Rube Goldberg-esque reason why a little girl had to be raped then it's pretty easy to do the same with murder.

Also I want to note: Mookie totally loving cheated here. The scene that shows Siggy's irredeemable evil was already shown. It was one of the visions Dominic got when he saw Siggy's father at the beginning of The War in Hell Part 8. To be slightly fair there was another image which showed Siggy beating up an orc while his father stood in the background smiling, but to say that it was actually Siggy standing there with his back turned in front of the hanging orcs makes it the only vision Dominic saw that didn't actually have Siggy's father in it, which shouldn't have happened considering that's who the visions were supposed to be about.

And it's definitely meant to be the exact same scene, not just one similar, because he made sure to draw all the hanging bodies with the exact same clothes and in the exact same position.

Yeha I'm pretty sure Mookie was trying to underline it for the audience. We knew that Siggy had participated in the war on the Orcs, but Mookie wanted to underline that he personally massacred people and enjoyed it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
He hosed up Nimmel's reflection in that one strip where he’s looking in the mirror

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Beelzebufo posted:

Yeha I'm pretty sure Mookie was trying to underline it for the audience. We knew that Siggy had participated in the war on the Orcs, but Mookie wanted to underline that he personally massacred people and enjoyed it.

As a literal preteen, no less. This one twelve year old personally and singlehandedly lynched seven orcs.

Because literal lynching imagery remains super tasteful.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrfnvGQG1I
As you said, none of these ideas came to pass, but I don't recall Mosly or Ethelia at all; like they are never even mentioned before or after this, unless I am mistaken. It's interesting to me because that means these are unused ideas, which means that Mookie was at this point still doing something resembling planning for the future, because the existence of these unused ideas logically must mean that he was at this point in time at the very least thinking 'what will I do next? I know, Mosly will come back at some point, and Ethelia will show up!' Which makes me wonder what the point was when he officially stopped any and all planning or thought and just began literally writing each strip in more or less a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As you said, none of these ideas came to pass, but I don't recall Mosly or Ethelia at all; like they are never even mentioned before or after this, unless I am mistaken.
Mosly was a one-off mention in a very early gag strip.

Then there was that teaser comic, then nothing. Dominic never gets back in contact with his old friend Mosly.