Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQ0vaoQDEQ

For some reason the IOC has stripped AIBA of the right to organise Olympic Boxing and the Gymnasts are stepping in to run things this year.

The big changes are no head gear and five judges using a scoring criteria more like that used in the pros.

Schedule as per Wikipedia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The first day was pretty fun!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd love to watch boxing but it's on the same time as judo is. I never watch the olympics and just want to see the combat sports.

But I'm watching beach volleyball right now. :pervert:

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Every trainer in Tokyo should be putting this picture up on the wall and telling their fighter "this could be you in five years if you medal"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I was watching a us vs France match but with audio off and it looked like the French dude wouldn't stop leg sweeping and doing judo type throws. Did he get DQd?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
BBC commentators just described Ben Whitaker as "a big fan of Japanese animation" :allears:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Keyshawn Davis y'all :patriot:

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Charley Davison looked great in the women's Fly just now. Multiple 10-8 rounds given despite no knockdowns given.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

madey posted:

Charley Davison looked great in the women's Fly just now. Multiple 10-8 rounds given despite no knockdowns given.

It's Nicola Adams's old weightclass as well, hoping that we'll continue to dominate :britain:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

madey posted:

Every trainer in Tokyo should be putting this picture up on the wall and telling their fighter "this could be you in five years if you medal"

lmao bruh joe joyce wearing a penis outfit and then just slowly destroying takam was not something i expected to see. anyway gotta watch some olympic boxing this year, i don't care about any of the other spoerts

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't know too much about the amateur scene but I'm enjoying what I've caught so far. A lot of these three rounders get pretty intense due to how much is at stake with each round. Fighters don't really have time to settle into a fight and there's real urgency when one fighter senses they're behind.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I just caught the replay of Karris Artingstall putting a bit of a beatdown on the Brazilian. There was a point where she got a clear knock down in my opinion but was ruled a slip by the ref. I'm pretty sure that I saw something similar yesterday and it feels like the refs are not expecting knockdowns so are not giving them.

The judging appears to be fine so far though, maybe having 5 has diluted the idiocy/incompetence enough.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1420030111945007110?s=19

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
From the little boxing I've seen the Irish boxers that are winning are the "smarter" boxers. A lot of emphasis on movement, and getting a few punches in that really score. Aidan Walsh has just won a bronze, from movement, smartness, and a few landed punches. Kellie Harington has been the best Irish boxer I've seen because she has the movement and smarts, but lands a lot as well. It really seems like the Irish coaches are putting emphasis on really efficient boxing, but some boxers (when the Irish have lost) have come out all guns blazing, and that really seems to impress the Rusian and "-stan" judges.

It's a really weird situation with the new scoring. It's like some countries have emphasized doing "enough" rather than the old model where you had to outscore in punches your opponents, making for a full three rounds (and maybe dealing with dodgy, corrupt judging.)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
That Irish boxer talking about his medal win. "I just do what the coaches tell me to do. They're in the corner, it's like a computer game, I'm the operator [I think he means "I'm the Mario"], they yell out what to do and I do it."

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Judges are loving high

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Watching a woman from Mozambique fighting a Chinese woman, the woman from Mozambique has an extremely brave tactic of going for a knock-out within three rounds. Something that was successful in her previous fight, which is even more impressive.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Aliev just had best ever DQ temper tantrum, this rocks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's all kicking off in the boxing. I think Aliev might punch Clarke out for real :suspense:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Rarity posted:

It's all kicking off in the boxing. I think Aliev might punch Clarke out for real :suspense:

Lmao, what was that DQ. Insane

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So that's what, 6 medals for GB in the boxing? Fantastic work :getin:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Can we make an O/U bet on how long Aliev stays on the ring apron? It would be pretty sick if he stayed until the next session.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/gregbeacham/status/1421702010617745414

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I want a time-lapse of that with him just sitting there getting covered in cobwebs and poo poo. Go full Futurama and have the background show aliens invading and stuff too as the aeons pass

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/markstani1/stat...00%2Fframe.html

Lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lol

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, I was watching Mira Potkonen's match in the women's lightweight quarterfinal, and started wondering, how does clinching affect the score? Her opponent didn't seem to be doing much besides backpedaling and clinching, but it ended up a split decision.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Two big boxing matches coming up! I really hope Ben Whitaker pulls off the win, I love him

Starkwheat
Feb 27, 2012

Siivola posted:

Hey, I was watching Mira Potkonen's match in the women's lightweight quarterfinal, and started wondering, how does clinching affect the score? Her opponent didn't seem to be doing much besides backpedaling and clinching, but it ended up a split decision.

Clinching does not affect the score, unless done in excess. Then it can result in point deduction. Split decision in quarter-final was most likely due the warning Potkonen received, as she had struck the opponent after referee had called stop.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I see, thanks! The judges were split from early on, two of them scored the match 27–29 against her and three 29–27 in favour. I'm not entirely sure why, but the foul definitely played a part.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Herbert Conceição just TKOed the Ukrainian dude. BEAUTIFUL!

https://twitter.com/Sinhowc/status/1423889659764088834?s=19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br_eHJ9fM54

Ukrainian loser just hosed off, didn't even congratulate him. :laffo:

That's Brazil's 6th gold and probably our best performance in the Olympics ever

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 7, 2021

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Negostrike posted:

Herbert Conceição just TKOed the Ukrainian dude. BEAUTIFUL!

https://twitter.com/Sinhowc/status/1423889659764088834?s=19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br_eHJ9fM54

Ukrainian loser just hosed off, didn't even congratulate him. :laffo:

That's Brazil's 6th gold and probably our best performance in the Olympics ever

That was wild! The Ukrainian won his last 60 fights!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That's some Rocky Balboa poo poo right there

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yep, the Ukrainian would absolutely win if it wasn't for that knockout. He was keeping Herbert in the corners the whole time and punching non-stop. Very lousy punches though and he was even hitting the back of Herbert's head a lot.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My favourite Olympian is fighting tonight/tomorrow morning. Kellie Harrington. She's talked really well about what the Olympics means to her and the competitors with her. Has a really great attitude, is a very good fighter, and I hope she wins gold for herself and Ireland.

Edit: I say "favourite Olympian" only because I can't list every one of the female skaters as No. 1.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Mrenda posted:

My favourite Olympian is fighting tonight/tomorrow morning. Kellie Harrington. She's talked really well about what the Olympics means to her and the competitors with her. Has a really great attitude, is a very good fighter, and I hope she wins gold for herself and Ireland.

Edit: I say "favourite Olympian" only because I can't list every one of the female skaters as No. 1.

Hell yeah she'll be facing Beatriz Ferreira and I won't miss it. Good to know Bia won't be fighting such a dirty boxer like Khyzhniak. I'll be rooting for Brazil's 8th gold medal, of course. Hope they give us a hell of a show, good sportswomanship and may the best boxer win.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
US men have 2 chances to win their first Olympic gold since Andre Ward in 2004. Keyshawn Davis against Andy Cruz of Cuba at lightweight and then Richard Torrez against Bakhodir Jalalov of Uzbekistan who already has a brutal ko win over Torrez at the 2019 World Championships

https://youtu.be/fqpZnfKA0_s

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Negostrike posted:

Hell yeah she'll be facing Beatriz Ferreira and I won't miss it. Good to know Bia won't be fighting such a dirty boxer like Khyzhniak. I'll be rooting for Brazil's 8th gold medal, of course. Hope they give us a hell of a show, good sportswomanship and may the best boxer win.

Absolutely! It'll be on at 6am here and I dunno if I'll make it (I missed the semi-final.) During the quarter final I was a bag of nerves.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
loving amazing! Kellie Harrington wins in one of the best Olympic fights I have ever seen. Both fighters gave everything. I'm absolutely buzzing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

ayyy Ireland

now let’s go USA