Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FD used to cover left and right at the same time in Xrd, iirc. Not sure if it still works that way in Strive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I mean it's called faultless defense, duh. Not blocking everything sounds like a fault to me!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Jack Trades posted:

FD used to cover left and right at the same time in Xrd, iirc. Not sure if it still works that way in Strive.

i don't remember that... how would it work anyway you can only fd when you're holding back ie blocking the right way

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

b_d posted:

i don't remember that... how would it work anyway you can only fd when you're holding back ie blocking the right way

I might be full of poo poo.

Maybe I was actually thinking of Blitz.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
hello I'd like to lodge a complaint that Gio's reversal super will clash with Nago's normals instead of connecting against their hurtbox and result in Nago being able to cancel from the clash into his super and blow me up. :mad:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skypie posted:

hello I'd like to lodge a complaint that Gio's reversal super will clash with Nago's normals instead of connecting against their hurtbox and result in Nago being able to cancel from the clash into his super and blow me up. :mad:

You're probably talking about Nago's 5H. The thing is, it doesn't have a hurtbox.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Jack Trades posted:

Jump back FD used to have some crossup protection I think. At least you could beat every meterless variant of Faust door with it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Glagha posted:

The faultless defense blocking high and low thing seems to be a very common point of confusion because I was running sets with someone who thought the same thing while I was critiquing his play.

Anyway for I-no advice yeah if she's doing repeated air attacks or you block the air drill move that causes her to kind of bounce back you can generally just 5P her out of the air. Also stick your leg out across the ground (gio's sweep is really good) if they're really eager to stroke the big tree at you (the sliding low into uppercut move).

I spent an entire match against an I-No where basically all I did was 6P. :v: Good to know re: STBT tho!

FunkyFjord posted:

As an I-no player, Gio's sweep is really good. Also you can grab us out of Stroke.

I can grab you out of heavy Stroke, not slash Stroke. And every single time I've tried anyway I failed, either because it was slash, because I mistimed it, or because I blocked low/high/incorrectly.

Veev posted:

Yeah it's pretty good.

It is very good, but also very slow and easy to react to. In order to use it effectively, it should really be gatlinged into from 5K, 2K, or cS. I'm used to doing it from 5K though, which reminds me to practice 2K/cS -> 2D, actually.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

It is very good, but also very slow and easy to react to.

It has 17f startup, that's not reactable at all.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well, I assume the reaction is seeing gio poke with it from a distance and reacting quick enough to counter poke which is a more generous window. But I dunno yeah you can get away with throwing the sweep out in neutral, i-no can probably dash over it but unless she makes a read I think you're probably okay

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yoinking people out of the air with heat knuckle is very fun especially on round ending hard reads.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like it on round opening hard reads. Locking the opponent into a cutscene .2 seconds into the match is very satisfying

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

not quite as good as round start kara buster.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I can grab you out of heavy Stroke, not slash Stroke. And every single time I've tried anyway I failed, either because it was slash, because I mistimed it, or because I blocked low/high/incorrectly.

But thats my plus stroke.

Agreed though, I think the only times I've had it happen is on a read or when a low tier Sol screwed up an input.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

b_d posted:

not quite as good as round start kara buster.

But round start heat knuckle actually works

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glagha posted:

But round start heat knuckle actually works

Kara buster is only 8f startup and absolutely reaches at round start.
If the opponent pushes a slower normal you'll grab the hell outta them, and most normals long enough to reach at round start are >8f.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I know it can reach but the situation where it actually works is a lot less common than "jump back"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I imagine that most people just back BECAUSE kara buster reaches.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

Jack Trades posted:

I imagine that most people just back BECAUSE kara buster reaches.

That's certainly why I do it! My buddy scooped me with kara buster the very first round we played together and I plan to never let that happen again. It was quite a shock at the time that it reaches.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Spent a couple hours playing Accent Core +R with friends last night and as a May player, I want Applause for the Victim back. Arisugawa Sparkle is like a pale shadow of what Applause for the Victim once was.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

unimportantguy posted:

Spent a couple hours playing Accent Core +R with friends last night and as a May player, I want Applause for the Victim back. Arisugawa Sparkle is like a pale shadow of what Applause for the Victim once was.

This is why I can't play May in Strive. Where are my bouncy balls, ArcSys?

Edit: Oh, wait. Applause for the Victim were the hoops, right? Bring them back in StriveRd. Fill the screen with dolphins.

wologar fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 24, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So am I just expected to be familiar with each potential opponent's blockstrings and other attacks? Cause not knowing when their poo poo is finished and not knowing what's high and low (despite the feet-in-air rule) is currently tripping me up. loving stop attacking, Axl :argh:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So am I just expected to be familiar with each potential opponent's blockstrings and other attacks? Cause not knowing when their poo poo is finished and not knowing what's high and low (despite the feet-in-air rule) is currently tripping me up. loving stop attacking, Axl :argh:

As a general rule overheads are slower than lows so block low by default and watch for the slow-moving overhead attacks with the big glow effects.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Most important is to know which specific moves you can act after and which ones you can't first. Then you can start figuring out what moves lead into what, particularly which moves lead into particularly nasty strings at a given range and which ones don't.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It's hard work blocking in the corner trying to figure out your opponent's openings. But I do it because I'm too lazy to look up frame data.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
With how much Gio can get off a 2D with dash momentum I definitely like using it raw in neutral.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I ever get stuck in the corner again I'm going to poo poo myself to sleep. :negative: You have to be frame goddamn perfect to get out.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

You don't, they'll run out of steam eventually but better players will know how to tack more moves on at the end and then there's delays to worry about tripping you up when you do try to get out of a false string or think they might be ending a true string. Mind games strong.

And, uh,

Pollyanna posted:

ya kinda, learning the smell of the game is part of fighting games. There's a reason everyone says Smash games are way different, for example.

Just judging by your posts, though, you're definitely improving.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
As Gio, I like to keep the pressure on in the corner and end with a 214K. It's -4 on block so it kinda resets but most people seem to either react slowly to it or not at all so I get to keep throwing out moves. Eventually I can then delay any follow-up and get a huge counterhit when they think I'm done. You can kinda frame trap people with her DP here too but I'm extremely bad at DP motions so I usually just wind up throwing out f.S instead :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gio's corner pressure for me is basically a mix of Sol Poente for overheads and 2K/2S/2D for lows, with mids thrown around. It eventually works, unless the opponent manages to read frames and counterhit me.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

To an extent at higher level play it does require you to kinda know the matchup. Like it's really hard to fight Potemkin if you don't know he can go for a throw for half your life off of any blocked garuda or c.S. If you're not aware that the throw attempt is possible there's no way to react to it or be aware it's a threat except to be thrown. There is some trial and error learning in this game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You don't have to know all the details of every button in their moveset or in their blockstring. But if you ever want to get out of the corner other than by randomly mashing super/dp you do have to know "ok after THIS move their turn is over and I can press buttons or jump", and "if they cancel into THAT special they get to restart their block pressure again and loop infinitely unless I react and stuff it with a 6p or something" (this includes stuff like Sol Poente or H Totsugeki).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

mycot posted:

It's a little weird but it's almost a Guilty Gear feature at this point. I-No's signature power in the plot is time travel and you would never know. Haehyun didn't have any attacks that scream "I'm a robot" despite her completely insane character concept, etc.

It's about time they added an insane "I'm a robot" character to Guilty Gear

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Robo Ky is gone, you can't get him back

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Anyway Goldlewis is gonna feel really weird because nobody will have any muscle memory for half circles that aren't 41236 or 63214

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Really i think the mixup game is strongest when neither player knows what move is coming out

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Robo-Ky alre-

Tae posted:

dangit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

(Edit: I literally already made a post about this. I’m going senile.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Tae posted:

It's Robo May's turn now!