Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mystes posted:

xyzzy21 11 minutes ago [–]

It's easy to destroy something. But very hard to replicate its order and structure quickly, status quo ante.

This is why conservatives exist: they know this so their position is: "Think this plan through 3-20 more times first to make absolutely sure you know what you are getting into".

For some of us who'd spent time in the Middle East, we knew the invasion of Iraq was 1) based on bogus justification, and, 2) would end very badly. What actually happened was well within #2's range. And 100% predictable

conservatives are opposed to change which is why they don't want cuts to longstanding social programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

conservatives are opposed to change which is why they don't want cuts to longstanding social programs
Right and also why they were opposed to invading Iraq.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

them's the folks that tried to kill mah dad

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tabular-Iceberg 40 minutes ago [–]

It's a marshmallow test on a national scale.
You're a public institution and the taxpayer gives you a marshmallow with the expectation of using it to create some public good. You can eat the whole marshmallow yourself and feel pretty good for a while, but after that you'll have nothing but a heap of dirt (and soon that heap will be washed into the sea).
You can take a bite for yourself and get a dysfunctional society, but at least you and your countrymen get some kind of half decent jobs, food on the table, education and healthcare.
You can just nibble a little on the edge, and you get western society.
What happens if you save the whole marshmallow? Who knows.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ask HN: Cage around bed to survive building collapse?
2 points by matjazdrolc 6 days ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 4 comments
In lieu of the condo collapse in Miami and floods Germany I wonder how to protect oneself from being killed while sleeping.
Is it feasible to have some kind of metal cage around the bed? The idea is that the cage would leave you with a pocket of air and also shield you from parts of ceiling crushing you.

What other ideas do you have and what were your findings when doing further research?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fritz posted:

You're a public institution and the taxpayer gives you a marshmallow with the expectation of using it to create some public good. You can eat the whole marshmallow yourself and feel pretty good for a while, but after that you'll have nothing but a heap of dirt (and soon that heap will be washed into the sea).
You can take a bite for yourself and get a dysfunctional society, but at least you and your countrymen get some kind of half decent jobs, food on the table, education and healthcare.

:wtc:

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

In lieu of the condo collapse in Miami and floods Germany I wonder how to protect oneself from being killed while sleeping.
Is it feasible to have some kind of metal cage around the bed? The idea is that the cage would leave you with a pocket of air and also shield you from parts of ceiling crushing you.

What other ideas do you have and what were your findings when doing further research?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXTSx0RvwEM

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I surrounded my bed with a fairly strong structure comprising 2x4s every 18 inches or so. my brownstone is a bit different than a huge skyscraper but I bet engineers could figure out how to take the same principals and scale up.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

fritz posted:

If that's the sort of thing you're into I guess, I'm not gonna judge.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

if it comes down to the choice between crushing and drowning i'll take the crushing thanks

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fritz posted:

genuinely expected this to end with "but if you trade the marshmallow for bitcoin...."

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

this thread is funny to me because tonally it's very Reddit (people making easy, lame jokes and dorky sci-fi references) yet it's in the service of a good opinion. Guess we've gotten to a point where hating on Zuckerberg is just the common sense position to take and even hn is onboard with that

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27930791

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lmao I've never seen a more reddit/goony thread on hn and it's all aimed at owning Facebook and Zuck. Though I guess the news article itself is sci-fi, Zuckerberg wants to build his bastardized form of the metaverse from Snow Crash.

radmuzom 1 minute ago [–]

I'd rather have JC Denton usher in the new dark age than allow this raving lunatic control more of our lives.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

rryizgr8 4 hours ago [–]

Even the phrase "company town" itself does not signify anything evil. In fact I'm wondering if such a place might be better than the usual government administered cities and towns.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

rryizgr8 4 hours ago [–]

Even the phrase "company town" itself does not signify anything evil. In fact I'm wondering if such a place might be better than the usual government administered cities and towns.

It would be a lot better. For the company.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
we might only have one brand of toilet paper, the 1-ply scratchy kind, but its provided at discounted cost by the company, so the system isnt perfect but it's the best we have

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

rryizgr8 4 hours ago [–]

Even the phrase "labor camp" itself does not signify anything evil. In fact I'm wondering if such a place might be better than the usual government administered cities and towns.

tweaked this a bit

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sniep posted:

we might only have one brand of toilet paper, the 1-ply scratchy kind, but its provided at discounted cost by the company, so the system isnt perfect but it's the best we have

not sure about that 'discounted' there

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
'discounted' from what jeff would like to charge

still exorbitantly expensive

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They buy in bulk to get a discount, and pass the savings on to ... the shareholders

Kesshan
Jan 29, 2010

quote:

kryogen1c 3 minutes ago [–]

> literally dry humping interns and shoving their rear end into faces

statements like this are why i have no interest in investigating allegations of sexism because neither of these things are sexist.

is your starting point that we're supposed to assume this is only being done to women? assuming women are being treated differently is a poor premise for proving women are being treated differently. or are you implying that doing the same thing to men and women is sexist to women? either way, its a very poor argument and calls into question your judgement.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

codetrotter 14 minutes ago [–]

If I could choose one more thing (in addition to anything I’ve mentioned in the past) that I would wish to disappear forever, it would be metaphors.
I have literally almost never come across any metaphor, save for a very very small number of them, that are at all helpful even.
Most metaphors IMO only serve to obscure the reality of things and to draw false parallels between things, and to make it seem like knowledge is being imparted when it is not really.
On top of that there are all of the times that the metaphors themselves may consist of comparing against something where what they are comparing against is not even correct, such as may be the case here.
If I could legally change my middle name to “Enough With the Frickin’ Metaphors Already”, I would almost be inclined to do so, except I don’t want the word “Metaphor” to even be a part of my name because that’s how much I dislike the absolute majority of metaphors.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
metaphors are a cancer on our language

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

metaphors are a cancer on our language

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

yikes dogg

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Google announced they are mandating vaccines for RTO so expect a bounty of hn crazy during the next 24 hours

peder 9 minutes ago [–]

Tech companies won't move in lockstep on this. Battle for talent is too intense, not many companies can call shots like this like Google can. Some companies will be glad to differentiate to try and attract Googlers that do not want to return to the office, that do not want to be vaccinated (tho I think the number of tech workers that are not vax'd is small)

halfjoking 8 minutes ago [–]

All WHO approved vaccines?
I'm thinking of leaving the country to try to get an inactive virus vaccine. I don't let anyone else run RNA code in my cells. The attack surface is too large.

azangru 4 minutes ago [–]

So if an employee develops one of the rare adverse events, will Google be liable for damages?

sharken 4 minutes ago [–]

I thought Google was better than this, guess not.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

dukeofdoom 0 minutes ago [–]

I would trust google to know about their monster.
"Google and the USAID-funded Wuhan scientist Peter Daszak’s virus experiments for over a decade"

hereforphone 4 minutes ago [–]

I am saying this as someone who has both shots and generally supports the vaccination.
From what I understand Google is known as a company with a "liberal" culture.

Is demanding employees accept one side of an argument and adhere to it (or face the consequences) contrary to the definition of "liberal"?

That's the problem with Western politics. Liberal vs. conservative is no longer about how permissive we are with ideas and unpopular opinions. It's about what subset of ideas we accept.

edit:

benmw333 2 minutes ago [–]

Government forces you to pay for the vaccine and then forces the company you work for to take it or lose your job. Liberty is long gone in America. Nothing chaps my rear end more than hearing and seeing the "vaccines are free" propaganda. Not to mention the billions government has spent in marketing and advertising on this vaccine. When was the last time government spent trillions to save 600,000 lives?

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 28, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

grumblenum 2 days ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Disinformation for hire, a shadow industry, is qui...

In 2005 I was in a college dorm that provided the NYT in a common area. I picked up one and the first article I read was a column about Hurricane Katrina. The author interviewed a history professor who bewailed the failings of the president and the United States and how this was "worse than Antitem". In other words the esteemed Grey Lady interviewed an "expert" whose expertise has nothing to do with meteorology or disaster response to get a "Bush sucks, haha!" hot-take. Even as a know-nothing teenager (of strong anti-war sentiment at the time), I recognized that "area man says natural disaster proves Bush sucks" is just pablum. I put the paper down, and I have never picked up an NYT since.
Thanks to the hero who provided an archive link, so that I could skim this. This article appears to be NYT heroically defending a corporate sponsor against the vile slander of other content marketers. Still speaking truth to power, I see.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

mrmcd posted:

edit:

benmw333 2 minutes ago [–]

Government forces you to pay for the vaccine and then forces the company you work for to take it or lose your job. Liberty is long gone in America. Nothing chaps my rear end more than hearing and seeing the "vaccines are free" propaganda. Not to mention the billions government has spent in marketing and advertising on this vaccine. When was the last time government spent trillions to save 600,000 lives?

this is my favorite genre of smart dumb guy posts, the “ooh so close!”

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

this is my favorite genre of smart dumb guy posts, the “ooh so close!”

while i can tell this guy is awful by the fact that he calls it government without any article or adjective i will say that the argument of "when was the last time the american government did anything to help you" is a pretty compelling one

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mrmcd posted:

halfjoking 8 minutes ago [–]

All WHO approved vaccines?
I'm thinking of leaving the country to try to get an inactive virus vaccine. I don't let anyone else run RNA code in my cells. The attack surface is too large.

lol

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
hn thread: my attack surface is too large

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

halfjoking 6 hours ago

There are more types of RNA than just mRNA. https://www.livescience.com/25988-rna-versatile-molecules.ht...
I'm not an expert so I'm not going to speculate which type might be used, but the risk that the government is using (soon to be mandatory) shots as a way to insert a biological backdoor into the masses far outweighs the risk of catching covid again. They want backdoors into all software systems... why wouldn't they want a backdoor into your biology? If not now, then what about when we're on our 5th booster?
If I was dying on my bed from some crazy variant that the government was fearmongering, I would still think that my risk assessment was valid. I'd have no regrets.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jose Valasquez posted:

halfjoking 6 hours ago

There are more types of RNA than just mRNA. https://www.livescience.com/25988-rna-versatile-molecules.ht...
I'm not an expert so I'm not going to speculate which type might be used, but the risk that the government is using (soon to be mandatory) shots as a way to insert a biological backdoor into the masses far outweighs the risk of catching covid again. They want backdoors into all software systems... why wouldn't they want a backdoor into your biology? If not now, then what about when we're on our 5th booster?
If I was dying on my bed from some crazy variant that the government was fearmongering, I would still think that my risk assessment was valid. I'd have no regrets.

I want whatever drugs this guy is (not) taking

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

LastInLine posted:

while i can tell this guy is awful by the fact that he calls it government without any article or adjective i will say that the argument of "when was the last time the american government did anything to help you" is a pretty compelling one

yes, it's almost as if the last forty years have been a nearly-uninterrupted slide into ruin after the dominant party began an explicit policy of dismantling the ability of the federal government to do anything to help people, and the submissive party decided not to do anything to stop it

but because i can't help myself, heres what came to mind first: 2011, when medicaid saved my son's life. shut the gently caress up

Nomnom Cookie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 29, 2021

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
just saying ‘trillions to save 600k’ mysteriously picks the number of lives the gov’t did not save

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

alexandriao posted:

I want whatever drugs this guy is (not) taking

halfjoking 17 hours ago [–]

Yeah I agree I'm worrying too much - it's basically ruining my life. I don't want to sign a lease for an apartment because I think I'm fleeing the country or losing my job.

So I admit it. I am paranoid about the US government - but I have reason to given the Snowden leaks and how they treat Assange.

So let's say they are pure evil, and wanted to do aerosols... well maybe they tried that already, but the chemtrails didn't work out.

Maybe Chemtrails were too inefficient as a delivery mechanism. How would they ensure 100% coverage? When they are manufacturing billions of doses to deploy in planes, how would they justify the cost? How would they get it delivered to citizens of other countries? How would they hide what they're doing from everyone given the huge amount of manufacturing needed?

The only way to insert a biological backdoor is to hide it in plain sight. To make it a vaccine that everyone, worldwide, including those already infected with the virus absolutely needs.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
jfc dude

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

in retrospect I gotta wonder if the x files and stuff like its black oil mythology did way more to normalize batshit insane conspiratorial thinking than we thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

kitten smoothie posted:

in retrospect I gotta wonder if the x files and stuff like its black oil mythology did way more to normalize batshit insane conspiratorial thinking than we thought

heres an observation: there is almost no such thing as a conspiracy presented in a work of fiction that doesnt end up being true, often verbatim, due to checkovs gun