Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I just realized that this is going to be the first time I won't have a guide telling me how to get the secret units ready when I go to play it :negative:. Oh no, I'm going to screw it up and miss something..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nuebot posted:

I just realized that this is going to be the first time I won't have a guide telling me how to get the secret units ready when I go to play it :negative:. Oh no, I'm going to screw it up and miss something..

Those go up insanely quick. X and T had simultaneous release for their English versions and Akurasu had basic guides up for all the secrets on release with question marks for things still being tested.

I think they sell strategy guides and people mostly figure out the underlying mechanics in the month+ after release. And even then guides aren't totally accurate as we discovered playing our V draft where people definitely got a unit they should not have been able to :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also it should be easier since PC is simultaneous and people can just datamine the secrets.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Also most secrets these days are just gotten by fighting and defeating bosses with the main character from their show. The only ones that might really trip you are the ones associated with kill counts.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Not to mention recent releases tend to unlock everything in New Game +.
I have never seen the canon death scenes of a few recruits in V , X and such and I am not willing to start a fresh save file where I fail at everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JamMasterJim posted:

Not to mention recent releases tend to unlock everything in New Game +.
I have never seen the canon death scenes of a few recruits in V , X and such and I am not willing to start a fresh save file where I fail at everything.

With Victory Gundam in here for some reason I'm really looking forward to having a legion of GunEZs kill themselves in droves to take down one unit.

At least, that's what they do in MBON :v:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
It's honestly crazy to me that no one has translated SRW W yet, considering it's considered one of the best games and has probably the most well known super robot in the West

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Willo567 posted:

It's honestly crazy to me that no one has translated SRW W yet, considering it's considered one of the best games and has probably the most well known super robot in the West

The Megazord?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

what tends to get fantranslated is mostly just what individual translators are interested in, not so much considerations like that.

also what about tetsujin aka gigantor

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Willo567 posted:

Optimus Prime?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Siegkrow posted:

The Megazord?

Voltron is probably more known since the Netflix resurgence.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Zore posted:

Those go up insanely quick. X and T had simultaneous release for their English versions and Akurasu had basic guides up for all the secrets on release with question marks for things still being tested.

I think they sell strategy guides and people mostly figure out the underlying mechanics in the month+ after release. And even then guides aren't totally accurate as we discovered playing our V draft where people definitely got a unit they should not have been able to :v:

I'm curious, who was it?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm curious, who was it?

It was Mashymre in X. Akurasu has the following requirements:

Before Scenario 29 begins: Defeat Mashymre within 3 turns.

During Scenario 29: Persuade Mashymre with Judau, then have Judau shoot down Mashymre

During Scenario 29: As an ally unit, Mashymre must shoot down at least 2 enemies

But it appears that only the first step is required to recruit him as several of us skipped the other steps and still got him.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I didn't even do the Gundam route and got Mashmyre. I was very surprised and I don't think I was the only one.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

what tends to get fantranslated is mostly just what individual translators are interested in, not so much considerations like that.

also what about tetsujin aka gigantor

I know it's up to what they want to translate, I'm just surprised it hasn't been picked up yet.

Also Tetsujin/Gigantor hasn't shown up in a Super Bowl ad yet like Golion/Voltron has

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I believe the DS games are also hell to edit which contributes to there only being a menu patch and not a full script thing

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

It's been years but I recall one of the big hurdles was W has really weird encryption involving the save files that people couldn't figure out. It is a shame because I want to play W in english so badly :negative:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I'll settle for a menu patch at this point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

these games are so similar that once youve played one in english you can guess the menus for the others, like even if you dont have focus in jp memorized you know what the spirit that costs 10/15 SP and says '30%' does. prboably the reason theres so few menu patches.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

these games are so similar that once youve played one in english you can guess the menus for the others, like even if you dont have focus in jp memorized you know what the spirit that costs 10/15 SP and says '30%' does. prboably the reason theres so few menu patches.

Yeah, I played L, Z, W, MX, and UX pretty easily using Brunom's LPs as the translation. He went over the spirits and most of the ones you regularly use are pretty obvious quickly.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tribladeofchaos posted:

It's been years but I recall one of the big hurdles was W has really weird encryption involving the save files that people couldn't figure out. It is a shame because I want to play W in english so badly :negative:

From what I remember of years old posts, it wasn't quite the save files so much as pretty much everything in the game having some non-standard compression scheme(s) in some form. So the bother is on reverse engineering those, making tools to decompress and recompress them, then hoping that nothing needs to be adjusted for the English versions of scripts/images/whatever, etc. All the "fun" technical stuff essentially.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd be willing to pay full price for Masoukishin games in english.

Or french, I'm bilingual.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

With Victory Gundam in here for some reason I'm really looking forward to having a legion of GunEZs kill themselves in droves to take down one unit.

At least, that's what they do in MBON :v:

I just got to the point in the show where Oliver rams his core fighter into the wheelship's giant wheel to literally no end and it really has me thinking just what kind of secret units we might be getting from V. Will it be half a dozen GunEZ and victory pilots who can't help but kill themselves in dumb ways? Or will it just be the big name cyber newtypes?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I mentioned Symphogear before, but assuming it debuted in a game with sixty stages, would it be possible to combine the plots of all five seasons so that the story could be covered in a single game if Hibiki and Tsubasa were the first units you'd get in the game?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Fitting all of Symphogear into one game would definitely be doable - the original series only really needs to be 3-4 stages and at least one of those can be an event during something else, a lot of GX's conflicts are character stuff that doesn't translate into much SRW content, and generally G, AXZ, and XV's villains could fit in well as teaming up with various other villain groups. That said, I really don't think it'd be a good idea - the characters wouldn't get a great amount of focus, the upgrade curve would be weird, 5 separate points in the game where the Symphogears get to use their super modes but not keep them would be kind of odd, and the Premium Sound Edition would need like 30 songs tomdo it justice and you're not going to sell to Symphogear fans by going light on the songs.

A much better approach would be to put maybe the original and G (to get all the characters) in for the "introducing a new series from episode 1" thing, and then cut ahead to the later shows in the following year's game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
SRW let Allenby "master" Berserker Mode. There's no such thing as a temporary powerup unless it's the actual last stage or a stage gimmick like Spiral Space.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Fitting all of Symphogear into one game would definitely be doable - the original series only really needs to be 3-4 stages and at least one of those can be an event during something else, a lot of GX's conflicts are character stuff that doesn't translate into much SRW content, and generally G, AXZ, and XV's villains could fit in well as teaming up with various other villain groups. That said, I really don't think it'd be a good idea - the characters wouldn't get a great amount of focus, the upgrade curve would be weird, 5 separate points in the game where the Symphogears get to use their super modes but not keep them would be kind of odd, and the Premium Sound Edition would need like 30 songs tomdo it justice and you're not going to sell to Symphogear fans by going light on the songs.

A much better approach would be to put maybe the original and G (to get all the characters) in for the "introducing a new series from episode 1" thing, and then cut ahead to the later shows in the following year's game.

What if you did something similar to W, and have the first two seasons happen in the first half, followed by a time skip, then doing the last two seasons?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd say either GX or AXZ and XV together. The former's plot would be dead simple to do in a game and isn't terribly intrusive, with bad guys you can easily justify showing up in a stage, while the latter would need some stuff playing nice or a good partner in plot but would end in a grander fashion.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I've been watching some Astro Boy on RetroCrush, and it's really weird that Atom's never been in a SRW, not even when they were making the big push in 2003. He's not even that hard to just plop in since all he really needs is a world where robots exist and bam. Atom can pal around with the kids while Dr Hell tries to hire Tenma to do unethical science poo poo.

Maybe whenever that rumoured Pluto anime gets made.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd say either GX or AXZ and XV together. The former's plot would be dead simple to do in a game and isn't terribly intrusive, with bad guys you can easily justify showing up in a stage, while the latter would need some stuff playing nice or a good partner in plot but would end in a grander fashion.

I'm asking about it because right now, I'm trying to come up with a SRW story that utilizes most of the plot of Symphogear, which would be a major part of the plot and setting of it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
So what shows from the 30 series list are cool? I've barely seen any of them outside of the old gundam stuff. I remember there was an ADTRW watchalong for Gun x Sword at one point.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Randallteal posted:

So what shows from the 30 series list are cool? I've barely seen any of them outside of the old gundam stuff. I remember there was an ADTRW watchalong for Gun x Sword at one point.

GunXSword, Rayearth, SSS Gridman and Majestic Prince are very good for starters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Randallteal posted:

I started writing and then realized that I was just saying that all of them were good; except the ones I haven't seen because I haven't seen them. Basically you can't really go wrong picking any of them from a list and giving it a whirl. The classic gundams are fantastic if you want something with a more serious and occasionally grim tone, Gao Gai Gar is pretty much the opposite, it's vibrant and bombastic in sheer cheesy 90's anime glory. But others like Gun x Sword, Rayearth and Getter Armageddon are all rad in their own rights and worth a watch too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

J-decker is the best Brave show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GunXSword was secretly the coolest inclusion in T so i'm very happy it's sticking around.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Randallteal posted:

Just going by what I've seen, and leaving aside the old Gundam stuff since you've seen it:

Gundam Narrative sucks. It's a 6/10 story with a 2/10 protagonist that was cut up in the editing room by a deranged ape so that it's even harder to care about anything.

GaoGaiGar VS Betterman is a novel and manga that's a sequel to GaoGaiGar without any animation. Goes big, but it isn't the clearest some of the time.

Getter Robo Armageddon has a great but confusing opening three episodes, then it kind of stumbles for a bit as the new team was left with no idea where the plot was meant to go, before finally going all out crazy for a fun finale.

Mazinger Z: Infinity is pretty dull. No clever themes, no good jokes, the CG mech fights didn't do much for me, and the film spends a lot of time with no action because it seems vaguely aware that movies should have plots, even if it doesn't have an idea how they work.

Gun X Sword, I only got a few episodes in but I liked what I saw. The protagonist is endearingly weird, the plots and supporting cast are energetic, and the mechs look weird in a good way. I do mean to go back to it, and would recommend it from what I did see.

SSSS GRIDMAN is a must watch. I don't want to say too much, but it was my anime of the year for 2018, and that was a pretty good year for anime.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

SSSS GRIDMAN is a must watch. I don't want to say too much, but it was my anime of the year for 2018, and that was a pretty good year for anime.

Honestly SSSS.Gridman was my anime of the decade. It's really hard to overstate how compelling it is as a complete story. And like Gun X Sword, it only gets better on rewatches.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'd say most of the shows are worth watching except for V and NT.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like Victory Gundam, but it certainly isn’t for most people. I hope we can flip the script some and recruit Duker Iq as a battleship captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

if boss borot isn't playable in 30 i'll be very mad

i'm already sad enough that my boy judau won't be in it

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 26, 2021