Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

spookykid posted:

any info on the location of the photo? US? Canada? UK? AUS?

e: The edges of the pages are already acid-yellowed, hmm

United States. (I think it is either Florida or California because it sort of looks like a disneyland/world trip but that probably does not matter.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ramc posted:

United States. (I think it is either Florida or California because it sort of looks like a disneyland/world trip but that probably does not matter.)

I think that's the Orlando Sentinel on the table.

I'm pretty positive it isn't a Stephen King novel. I'm decently familiar with covers of his stuff from the 1980s and that doesn't resemble any of them.

Because of the back cover, I am wondering if it's a novelization of a film or TV show as the images might be photographs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spookykid posted:

I thought it was edge staining at first, as was commonly done to paperbacks made with high-acid paper in that period to hide yellowing, but it’s not uniform in color on the section that’s already been read—I think you’re right that the pages are yellow with age instead.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

spookykid posted:

That looks like a bar code on the back cover and they didn't start adding those to books until the mid-70s, so it's not as old as the yellowing might indicate.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I appreciate that the book is just so tantalizingly almost in focus.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Post it in the "What is this book?" thread in the Book Barn.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Post it in the "What is this book?" thread in the Book Barn.

If you do this, please be sure to post here if there's an answer! I'm combing through poo poo and it's maddening :emo:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

If SA people can't figure it out I'd recommend posting in Stack Overflow as well. They're great at identifying books/short stories based on descriptions and they'd more than likely point you in the right direction.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537&pagenumber=172#post516481369

On it, thanks.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Not mine, but I sure want to know what this book is:
http://www.thecourieronline.co.uk/petrol-stein-or-the-modern-polybius-the-strange-world-of-internet-book-searching/

One thing I remember but have never been able to track down is a CGI documentary from around '08 or '09. It was about the evolution of life on earth, mostly pretty generic, but it ended with a weird "what if" segment about an alternate timeline where giant insects (I think hornets) ruled the world. I recall a few blogs reviewing/complaining about it, but have never been able to locate the relevant posts (they may have lost a lot of content when migrating between platforms).

Ramc
May 4, 2008

CaptainBeefart posted:

If SA people can't figure it out I'd recommend posting in Stack Overflow as well. They're great at identifying books/short stories based on descriptions and they'd more than likely point you in the right direction.

I am not familiar with Stack Overflow.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ramc posted:

I am not familiar with Stack Overflow.

https://stackexchange.com/

You can start here. Good to see you again Ramc, hope you're well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

spookykid posted:

No, that isn't acid-yellow, it's a printed edge. It's definitely a science-fiction publisher. Not DAW, because they always have yellow spines. It looks like Ace to me, in style, but my memory is off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A river island in some european river that was a pirate sanctuary for some time. It no longer exists I think, likely flooded for power reasons

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I think the mystery paperback is Alan Dean Foster’s Outland. I think my parents have a copy.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Domus posted:

I think the mystery paperback is Alan Dean Foster’s Outland. I think my parents have a copy.

Looking at internet pictures what I see doesn't quite match but who even knows if I am pulling up the correct editions. If you could get a pic of the back of their copy someday that would be pretty great tho.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Ramc posted:

Okay I have kind of a tricky request. A family member of mine sent me this photo (cropped to remove people) and they are wondering if it is possible to figure out what the book on the table is. Time-wise the pic was taken around 1989 and is "probably sci-fi"

White text on a dark cover, white back with 5 weird column things? not sure thats remotely enough to go on.

Seems like a longshot what with 'picture of a polaroid' quality but I figure if any hivemind is going to pluck this from the ether it is goons.

I looked around at a bunch old sci-fi paperbacks and I think it's probably a Signet book, that dark cover with big white writing across the top was heavily featured across their scifi paperbacks.

It should be really easy to recognize by those 5 pillars on the back of the book, unfortunately finding pictures of the backs of old sci-fi paperbacks is a real pain in the rear end.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I've got no clue about any recent requests, or what the book is, but a few just-in-case searches have produced a ridiculous amount of fascinating book covers. All unremarkable inside, I'm sure, but those covers are still doing their job decades later by making me want to find out!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm super curious about the book now, because I spent an embarrassing amount of time staring at the blurry squished text to see if I could come up with any guesses as to the title. It definitely does look like the text is sloping upwards though, which helped me get a handle on why the cover looked a bit odd.

Frustrating cause I guess the big words could also be the author's name... by the time I was done staring at it it started to look like Cyrillic though lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That looks to me as if the front cover and spine are different colours. If we're assuming it's an old SF paperback, that's far more common with the ACE paperbacks than with other publishers. The Ace ed. of The Left Hand of Darkness eg

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 26, 2021

Ramc
May 4, 2008

The clear solution is to create a database of the back of books now along with the covers.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Not sure if I'm crazy or not, am I the only one who clearly sees 2 books in that picture? One is slightly resting on top of the other one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MarioOnTheComputer posted:

Not sure if I'm crazy or not, am I the only one who clearly sees 2 books in that picture? One is slightly resting on top of the other one.

I think you're right

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Two books or that books spine is :bahgawd: broken in half and we are being used to track down a serial library loan spine cracker for the postmaster general

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I say, that is two books.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I don't think it is two books. For one, the "second book" on the right is too thin, even for an older book, and for the other it's got a really thin right edge bulking out in the middle as you move left and curving upwards towards the far left end, which is exactly what a set of pages would do if they were being torqued all to hell at the spine by the kind of literally Hitler that treats their books that way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do you preserve the spine of a paperback as you read? Mine always end up with a few creases on the spine.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How do you preserve the spine of a paperback as you read? Mine always end up with a few creases on the spine.

I read fast. No, seriously, I think that's the difference: if a book never spends long open at one page, it doesn't get a chance to crease. The only times my books crease are when I use one book as a bookmark for another.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Basically not opening it all the way to the spine, so it doesn't have the chance to crack; works for any book with a half-decent gutter. I never practised it; I just always read like that and I remember finding it really weird the first time I saw someone spreading a paperback with both hands like they were opening a ribcage.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 27, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

What if there's a third book on the grassy knoll?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Title looks like "Campfire" to me. Obviously that's not it but I'm just posting so when it's revealed I can see how close I was.

It does seem like a better photo/scan of the polaroid would possibly reveal the title. There's some artifacting making it tricky.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

wa27 posted:

It does seem like a better photo/scan of the polaroid would possibly reveal the title. There's some artifacting making it tricky.

I will request one.

Xotl posted:

I don't think it is two books. For one, the "second book" on the right is too thin, even for an older book, and for the other it's got a really thin right edge bulking out in the middle as you move left and curving upwards towards the far left end, which is exactly what a set of pages would do if they were being torqued all to hell at the spine by the kind of literally Hitler that treats their books that way.

I am pretty sure it is just one book, too. Also maybe the reader was just really into it who knows. The probable book reader passed like over a decade ago so no primary source to ask in any case.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

https://stackexchange.com/

You can start here. Good to see you again Ramc, hope you're well.

Hey! Yes, doin' well. Will bug them later today too.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon
25 years of environmental storytelling tells me the can of Coke was knocked over on the newspaper and a mild effort was made to clean it up.

I have no idea how this is relevant but these are the skills I bring to the table.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

wa27 posted:

Yeah, any chance of a better scan or even the current one with less jpg artifacts or whatever?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ramc posted:

The clear solution is to create a database of the back of books now along with the covers.

ISFDB has front covers, I don't know if they have back covers.

But I got the bit in my teeth so I downloaded their db, found all novels published between 01JAN1970 and 31DEC1989 in English, and looked for ones with two words in the title, first word 7 or 8 characters, second word 4 or 5 characters.

There were 299 hits:

quote:

Absolute Zero; Acapulco Gold; Addison House; Airship Nine; Alice's World; Altered Egos; America 2040; American Eden; American Glory; American Reich; Ancient Light; Angel's Tear; Another Eden; Another Shore; Another View; Antares Dawn; Archer's Goon; Ardneh's World; Arrow's Fall; Asgard's Heart; Atrocity Week; Baily's Bones; Barking Dogs; Barrier World; Becoming Alien; Beloved Exile; Boarders Away; Boarders Away!; Borrowed Time; Brainz, Inc.; Breaking Glass; Brother Earth; Brother Esau; Brother John; Brother Night; Burning Water; Caduceus Wild; Campbell Wood; Cannibal Cult; Cannibal Kiss; Catching Fire; Catholic Girls; Cemetery World; Cenotaph Road; Centaur Aisle; Central Heat; Certain Blood; Changing Times; Charmed Life; Charnel House; Child's Play; Citizen Phaid; Colonel Mint; Control Tower; Crooked House; Crooked Tree; Crystal Flame; Cugel's Saga; Curious Magic; Dancer's Luck; Darkness Comes; David's Sling; Dayworld Rebel; Deadeye Dick; Deadtime Story; Deadwood City; Death's Angel; Decision Time; Deepest Roots; Denner's Wreck; Destiny Doll; Destiny Past; Devil's Child; Devil's Deal; Devil's Moon; Devil's Peak; Devil's Race; Devil's Walk; Dinosaur Beach; Doomsday Clock; Dracula Began; Dragon's Blood; Dragon's Gold; Dragon's Milk; Dragon's Pawn; Dragon's Teeth; Dragons Past; Drowned Ammet; Druid's Blood; Duncton Found; Duncton Quest; Duncton Wood; Elephant Song; Emerald Eyes; Emerald Fire; Emlyn's Moon; Ender's Game; Engineer Menni; Entering Fire; Eternal Wind; Exile's Gate; Exile's Quest; Falling Angel; Falling Free; Farthest Star; Fenella Fang; Forcible Entry; Forever City; Freaks' Amour; Freddy's Book; Freedom Beach; Freedom Fight; Freezing Down; Freezing Point; Frontier Wolf; Galactic Girl; Galactic Plan; Galactic Rift; Garukan Blood; Genetic Bomb; Getaway World; Giants' Star; Gilpin's Space; Glahmian Shock; Goodman 2020; Gringol Weed; Guardian Ghost; Gublak's Greed; Guernica Night; Halcyon Drift; Hambro's Itch; Harlot's Ruse; Harvest Home; Haunted House; Heart's Blood; Heller's Leap; Hendra's Book; Homeward Bound; Horizon Alpha; Humanity Prime; Hunter's Moon; Identity Seven; Illegal Alien; Immortal Blood; Imperial Earth; Imperial Lady; Imperial Stars; Infinity Hold; Inverted World; Jericho Falls; Julian's House; Juniper Hill; Juniper Time; Jurassic Park; Justice, Inc.; Keeping Time; Keller's Bomb; Killer's Keep; Killing Eyes; Killing Time; Kingdom Come; Kirlian Quest; Lagrange Five; Logan's World; Lowland Rider; Ludlow's Mill; Madman's Army; Magic's Pawn; Magic's Price; Manitou Doll; Marion's Wall; Martin's Mice; Megan's Star; Merlin's Ring; Midnight City; Midnight Magic; Midnight Rogue; Missing Link; Mission: Tori; Monday's Child; Monster Maker; Morlock Night; Morrow's Ants; Moth-Kin Magic; Mother's Boys; Mystery Walk; Mythago Wood; Natural Enemy; Nemydia Deep; Nobody's Child; Nursery Tale; One-Man Army; Orbital Decay; Outward Bound; Paradox Alley; Passion Star; Phoenix Fire; Pinball, 1973; Precious Cargo; Prentice Alvin; Private View; Project Jove; Project Pope; Promised Land; Prostho Plus; Psychic Fair; Psychic Spawn; Quinn's Book; Rashanyn Dark; Ratner's Star; Razor's Edge; Rebel's Quest; Rebels' Seed; Reckless Robot; Recycled Souls; Reindeer Moon; Retread Shop; Reverend Mama; Rockabye Baby; Rubicon Beach; Sadar's Keep; Sailor's Blood; Salem's Child; Samurai Steel; Sapphire Road; Sarah's Nest; Satan's Manor; Satan's Seed; Satan's Spawn; Scoffing Marah; Scorpion Swamp; Sexualis 1984; Shadow's Realm; Sharra's Exile; Shield's Lady; Shifting Sands; Shining Steel; Showboat World; Shuttle Down; Sidney's Comet; Simon's Soul; Skeen's Leap; Slumber Party; Smith's Dream; Solution Three; Southern Cross; Sphynxes Wild; Spock's World; Squadron Alert; Stalker Lord; Stallion Gate; Starfall Muta; Starship Death; Starship Stud; Starship Women; Stellar Fist; Strange Eons; Strange Loop; Strange Seed; Strange Toys; Striped Holes; Suicide, Inc.; Sunrise West; Survival World; Systemic Shock; Tangled Webs; Target: Earth; Teach's Light; Tempting Fate; Tergan's Lair; Terminal Road; Thendara House; Thought World; Thunder Rise; Tornado Alley; Torture Tomb; Trader's World; Twilight Eyes; Uhura's Song; Ultimate World; Undying World; Unicorn Point; Ursula's Gift; Vampire Child; Vantage Hall; Virility Gene; Vulcan's Glory; Walking Dead; Wandor's Ride; Warrior Woman; Weasel's Luck; Welcome, Chaos; Wilkins' Tooth; Winding Sheet; Winter's Tale; Witch's Broom; Witchery Hill; Wizard's Bane; Zero-Sum Games

Some of those are clearly not it but you never know.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I’m team Mother’s Boys.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

fritz posted:

ISFDB has front covers, I don't know if they have back covers.

But I got the bit in my teeth so I downloaded their db, found all novels published between 01JAN1970 and 31DEC1989 in English, and looked for ones with two words in the title, first word 7 or 8 characters, second word 4 or 5 characters.

There were 299 hits:

Some of those are clearly not it but you never know.

This is really cool, but the impression I had was that the title was one word and the smaller text directly underneath was the author's name. I assume it's title/author rather than author/title because if it was a big enough name I assume someone would have recognized it by now, but that's a guess.

I cut out everything but the book and applied a bit of contrast, which helps a touch. The artifacting is really hurting this though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Xotl posted:

This is really cool, but the impression I had was that the title was one word and the smaller text directly underneath was the author's name. I assume it's title/author rather than author/title because if it was a big enough name I assume someone would have recognized it by now, but that's a guess.

I cut out everything but the book and applied a bit of contrast, which helps a touch. The artifacting is really hurting this though.

Yeah I was assuming the white text was the title. I interpreted the gap about 2/3rds of the way along to be a space, from my impressions of the rest of the font if it's not a space I don't know what letter would leave that kind of gap.

Also here's the titles with a 7/3 and 8/3 split:

quote:

'Salem's Lot; Anaheim Run; Annerton Pit; Another End; Apollo's War; Atlanta Run; Beloved Son; Brother Gib; Capital Run; Charon's Ark; Citadel Run; Cocaine Run; Complex Man; Computer Eye; Conrad's War; Cuckoo's Egg; Dancing Vac; Death's Law; Demon's Eye; Demon's Law; Dragon's Egg; Esper's War; Fighting Men; Galaxy's End; Genetic Two; Houston Run; Howliday Inn; Howling Mad; Judgment Day; Liberty Run; Little, Big; Maiden's End; Manrissa Man; Memphis Run; Mercedes Ice; Midnight Boy; Midnight Man; Moonbase One; Mortorio Two; Nature's End; Personal War; Plastic Man; Pressure Man; Project God; Project Web; Putting Out; Quintana Roo; Raider's Sky; Rolling Hot; Rubicon One; Running Dog; Salem's Lot; Seattle Run; Seventh Son; Shadows End; Shoeless Joe; Skeleton Key; Superman III; Tachyon Web; Talking Man; Treasure Map; Universe Day; Upright Man; Weather War; Weetzie Bat; Witch's Eye; World's End

If somebody with better eyes has a guess as to the distribution of letters, I'll produce more lists. ISFDB should have covers for these things too, and if nobody comes up with anything better I'll see if I can wrangle something there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

I’m team Mother’s Boys.

And actually as I look at the isfdb listing: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?14451 I see that I'm not filtering out on pb/hc, as well as us/foreign, and Mother's Boys shouldn't have been in the list because it's first US paperback wasn't until later.