Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Alkydere posted:

I just love all the truly wonky guns in BF1. It was an age of experimentation and confusion in gun manufacturing so you get so many truly goofy weapons.

In what other game would an SMG that holds only 8+1 rounds be considered a reasonable (if not exactly good) weapon?
I love that one Austro-Hungarian machine pistol that holds 16 rounds and is loaded via 2 8-round stripper clips and fires at like 1200RPM. You'll demolish precisely 1 person per reload but that one dude will get shredded to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

codo27 posted:

I'm just bitter because I've always played solo like an idiot so I've rarely ever had anyone to repair me in the chopper or especially the boat where I really dominate. But I still think its gotta be nerfed, no way should a guy be able to completely negate heavy artillery attacks just waving a torch for 2 seconds

The last game I played was BF4, but in that one squad heavy play (pretty much the entire server would be squaded and auto-sorted into Teamspeak voice com channels) didn't make a big difference. Squads weren't really capable of coordinating attacks on a Little Bird because the AA weapons were almost completely ineffectual in the face of a pilot who understood how to fly and use ECM. And the Little Bird was always so much more deadly than the attack helo, since it'd be getting repaired in flight all the time.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Insert name here posted:

I love that one Austro-Hungarian machine pistol that holds 16 rounds and is loaded via 2 8-round stripper clips and fires at like 1200RPM. You'll demolish precisely 1 person per reload but that one dude will get shredded to hell.

My personal fav is the Perino, just for the reload:

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's the level of effort I aspire to in all my virtual murder, tbh.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I managed to get the whole drop on a guy a year and a half ago with the Kolibri and unloaded the entire magazine into the back of his helmet in quick succession, causing it to fly off his head before he died.

Probably my favorite kill in BF1.

Such a glorious kill via an impossibly stupid and tiny gun.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

My personal fav is the Perino, just for the reload:
One of the German MGs had a reload mechanic where if you reloaded above like, 10 rounds (below that your character would just pull the belt out the ejection side), he'd crank the handle on the drum belt and the amount of cranks depended on how much ammo you had expended. So if you used the 200-round version of the gun you could have a ~10s reload:
https://i.imgur.com/TuHqK1a.gifv

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I was cackling like an idiot after the last guy

https://i.imgur.com/eExriWx.mp4

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alkydere posted:

I just love all the truly wonky guns in BF1. It was an age of experimentation and confusion in gun manufacturing so you get so many truly goofy weapons.

In what other game would an SMG that holds only 8+1 rounds be considered a reasonable (if not exactly good) weapon?

lol it held 9 rounds of 8mm Lebel so you could just tap-fire and drop people in a couple hits with it. Also it was drat near uncontrollable so you'd just want to hang out by a door in vaux and wreck anyone trying to rush in

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Insert name here posted:

One of the German MGs had a reload mechanic where if you reloaded above like, 10 rounds (below that your character would just pull the belt out the ejection side), he'd crank the handle on the drum belt and the amount of cranks depended on how much ammo you had expended. So if you used the 200-round version of the gun you could have a ~10s reload:

this reminds me of how the Mosin had unique reload animations based on how many rounds you had fired, and reloading at 2/4 rounds shot was faster than 1/3

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

This is why with the 8.35 you always just mag dump all 5 rounds.

Playing close mid with a 8.35 marksman with lowest mag scope and just deleting people then dropping or falling back for a second is super fun.

It is crazy how much better all the classes other than assault feel in bf1 than 5.

Flare gun means even the most potato recon can contribute, support has a huge range of great guns that feel completely different... and medic is the best for mid long range constant harassment.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Insert name here posted:

Isn't that the gun with the rare reload that sometimes it starts playing "Pop goes the weasel"?

Yup: has a good chance of happening if you reload at exactly 13 rounds in the magazine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLTzGVhPwGg

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I was always a big fan of the smg 08/18, which was essentially a sawn off belt fed lmg.

The weird nature of weapons in bf1 gave it some of the most distinct and best class balance in the series; it really feels like every class has a range or situation that they excell at (outside of some dlc weapons messing with it a bit). It was weird coming back to bf4 where shotguns, carbines, and dmrs being all class means that any class can perform well at any range, along with a lot more guns working as a jack of all trades.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I was watching Jackfrags' video on the portal hub and he made it sound like any game mode you build you can launch it on a dedicated server but he didn't mention pricing or hosting fees. Is EA really going to let people run servers for free?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

afkmacro posted:

I was watching Jackfrags' video on the portal hub and he made it sound like any game mode you build you can launch it on a dedicated server but he didn't mention pricing or hosting fees. Is EA really going to let people run servers for free?

I'm sure they'll do the bf4 "rent a server from the store tab" thing

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

afkmacro posted:

The portal mode servers may be like the Community "servers" in BFV which were free if I recall but were cloud instances so they'd disappear if no one was playing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
While obviously not very obscure, the reload of the Lebel will always be my favorite. It’s soooooo satisfying.

https://youtu.be/daY72vbGf1Y

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Some of the reload animations were genuinely insane in the level of detail and they must have had a ton of fun making them

https://youtu.be/YBSr3p6iffM

also sometimes just funny

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 25, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Some of the reload animations were genuinely insane in the level of detail and they must have had a ton of fun making them

BF1 had so many great and funky animations that we'll never see again unless :dice: does a steampunk battlefield or something.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Alkydere posted:

BF1 had so many great and funky animations that we'll never see again unless :dice: does a steampunk battlefield or something.

Or they stick them all in the portal thing like they're implying

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

BF1 was definitely peak attention to detail as far as reloads and sounds were concerned imo. The little things sound wise like rain dropping on the spent artillery shells, the sound of your feet causing those same casings to make a slight rolling/shifting sound, and poo poo like casings from your gun sounding completely different depending on the surface they landed on (even little ploop sounds if they landed in water)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Every time I play bf1 I get angrier about bfv

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
So I guess we can assume the install size for BF portal is going to be insane as gently caress if it contains assets from multiple games?

250gb of battlefield here we go

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Did they ever add server rentals to bf5?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Did they ever add server rentals to bf5?

No. One of the final patches finally allowed custom servers that stayed up as long as it was populated.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

jisforjosh posted:

BF1 was definitely peak attention to detail as far as reloads and sounds were concerned imo. The little things sound wise like rain dropping on the spent artillery shells, the sound of your feet causing those same casings to make a slight rolling/shifting sound, and poo poo like casings from your gun sounding completely different depending on the surface they landed on (even little ploop sounds if they landed in water)

For some reason it sticks with me that they went back after release and improved some animations for a couple of the revolvers (notably the Gasser I think?) that launched kind of rough. Didn't affect gameplay at all but somebody cared enough to prioritize polishing them in a patch instead of shifting over to DLC work which is surely what the suits wanted

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

So I guess we can assume the install size for BF portal is going to be insane as gently caress if it contains assets from multiple games?

250gb of battlefield here we go

Don't worry! DICE will go full GaaS and add a Battlefield-Vault where they'll cycle out maps from the Portal time to time!

They have not said they'll do this....yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would expect them to split Portal off into its separate thing a la Warzone before a Destiny vault situation, if it's popular enough. Whether they charge for it when they do is the question there.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Orv posted:

I would expect them to split Portal off into its separate thing a la Warzone before a Destiny vault situation, if it's popular enough. Whether they charge for it when they do is the question there.

It is or atleast likely will be. A lot of the leaks and rumors about Portal (when the leaks were calling it hub) mentioned that Portal and Hazard Zone would be optional content installs.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Grabbed a free copy of BF1 from the Twitch promotion. What exactly do you get from the expansions, and can I just grab the currently on-sale $5 season pass and get everything I need?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

jisforjosh posted:

My favourite is the "clack-clack" noise your hobnail boots make when inside certain buildings, like in fancy buildings in Amiens or Ballroom Blitz. They even echo if no one is around you :allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The expansions are new maps and weapons.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

Roluth posted:

Grabbed a free copy of BF1 from the Twitch promotion. What exactly do you get from the expansions, and can I just grab the currently on-sale $5 season pass and get everything I need?

Yeah, the premium pass. Same boat as you, just got the pass, it's been worth it to me. Loads new maps.

Hadn't played any battlefield since 3, having an absolute blast with BF1. The atmosphere, terrain deformation, all that is so good.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Goddamnit that music does it, in reinstalling BF1

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

BigglesSWE posted:

While obviously not very obscure, the reload of the Lebel will always be my favorite. It’s soooooo satisfying.

https://youtu.be/daY72vbGf1Y
My favourite part of the Lebel was if you used K Bullets you'd have like, half the fire rate of other rifles due to the way the magazine cutoff works, forcing your character to have to essentially rack the bolt twice before it'd load the round. Thanks France!

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah it's insane how much detail went into those animations. Someone else mentioned it, but the Mosin had a separate reload depending on how much rounds you had left in the gun which was awesome because it wasn't just a single cycled animation of loading one round at a time like most guns. Also how all the DLC bolt-actions if you only had one round left your character would just dump the last round out and load in a stripper clip instead of slowly topping off the gun.

Has anyone mentioned the Colt SAA yet? Someone had a ton of fun animation all those Revolver Ocelot-esque animations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I’m a big fan of the Nagant revolver having 3 different animations for ejecting a spent round. I also noticed just now in the Perino reload that there are different animations for tossing a clip in the basket; it’s not just the same one on a loop. DICE’s animators really went all out on 1.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Insert name here posted:

Has anyone mentioned the Colt SAA yet? Someone had a ton of fun animation all those Revolver Ocelot-esque animations.

I loved/hated unlocking the Peacekeeper in equal portions but I can't help but grin when using it. Running around with that and an ironsight bolt action as some sort of turn of the century cowboy will never get old.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

I loved/hated unlocking the Peacekeeper in equal portions but I can't help but grin when using it. Running around with that and an ironsight bolt action as some sort of turn of the century cowboy will never get old.

But the Russian trench is right there.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Are those portal factions like full factions with voices and stuff? Kinda hope the PLA makes it from BF2/4 (people say they left them out of this one to avoid getting in trouble with the Chinese government but if anything BF2/4 were hugely popular in China bc of the PLA being included and being on equal footing with the US)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I want French soldiers

JE VEUX DES SOLDATS FRANÇAIS

e maybe just a "putain" button

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Gonna guess we're not getting any PLA unless EA get high level assurances from China that they won't throw a shitfit and ban the game over it