Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

all those jobs go to biglaw litigators with 5+ years of experience who are burned out and even they have to compete hard for them

Don't be ridiculous, a lot of them also go to Jay Sekulow's relatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah that wasn't my question but I appreciate it anyway.

You're going places kid.

Sorry you were too dumb for a photography class, could have gone to Yale and fast tracked to SCOTUS otherwise.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I transferred after freshman year and the grades didn't count towards my UGPA at my sophomore-senior institution. I assume they will count for my LSAC GPA. However, I did very poorly in a photography class (I think a D...) and this didn't appear on my final transcript at my final institution at all. Will it appear for LSAC?

God it feels dumb to be judged on my suitability for law school based on a photography class I took 11 years ago.

The answer to your question was actually on their website:

quote:

"LSAC calculates a GPA for each year and a cumulative GPA for each undergraduate institution that issued a transcript for you. A cumulative GPA that includes all undergraduate work is also calculated and reported. A cumulative GPA for a school within an institution cannot be calculated.

In calculating a GPA, LSAC uses the grades and credits for every course that can be converted to the 4.0 scale, although the institution issuing the transcript may exclude some of the courses from its own calculations. Courses excluded from the academic summary are not included in the GPA calculation.

There may be some variation between the GPAs calculated by LSAC and those calculated by colleges or students; however, the variation is rarely substantial. Because the law schools that use LSAC’s Credential Assembly Service understand its procedures, a slight variation in GPA is not likely to affect a law school’s admission decision. "

did you look? if not, why? if yes, why didn't you find that? The practice of law has a large to very large amount of doing things you don't want to do (like clicking through boring websites for answers) and finding relevant information (by clicking through boring websites). It has a large to very large amount of people being lovely to you about it. Law school itself might still be really fun for you though. It was for me.

The reason the bad grade didn't appear on your final institution's transcript is almost certainly that your final institution's transcript accounts for credits counting toward the degree from that school, and by that final school's standards, your lovely photography grade was too low to give you degree credit for the class. LSAC will ask for all transcripts and include your bad grade.

Edit: also, each institution computes a GPA only for its own courses. GPAs don't transfer from one school to another without a specific transfer agreement, typically found in schools in the same "system."

homullus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 22, 2021

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm gonna ignore whatever other people posted and i only see that some user wants to go law school but got a bad grade in a photography class.

I have two words of wisdom:

1. a single bad grade won't tank your entire gpa so please post the rest of your transcript so we can properly evaluate you, and

2. I got an F my senior year in undergrad. A straight F. I applied to law school several years later so it was 100% on the transcript. I got into a TTT and now make a deccy 5 figgies at a non profit so you can too

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I'm gonna ignore whatever other people posted and i only see that some user wants to go law school but got a bad grade in a photography class.

I have two words of wisdom:

1. a single bad grade won't tank your entire gpa so please post the rest of your transcript so we can properly evaluate you, and

2. I got an F my senior year in undergrad. A straight F. I applied to law school several years later so it was 100% on the transcript. I got into a TTT and now make a deccy 5 figgies at a non profit so you can too

This is a lie. This man has had his life ruined by law school. He's crippled for life, unable to breathe outside air and eat anything but business lunches.

His "non-profit" is working for an war widow crushing machine. Think they don't exist? Then you know very little about the practice of law.

In conclusion, go to law school.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
For what it’s worth, here’s my perspective on all this.

A single D is unlikely to change your GPA all that much. Law schools want to say “all our students got a 4.0 and a 180” so your overall GPA is far more important. While the D will certainly be included in your GPA, what matters is whether that brings you from a 3.9 to a 3.86 or from a 3.3 to a 3.21.

Unsolicited advice (worth exactly what you pay for it):
Take the LSAT and see how you do. If you score exceptionally well and your GPA is very good or you’re a URM, then come back and let’s talk about late school. If either your GPA or your LSAT is not exceptional, then don’t apply.

Consider your approach to interacting with folks who you might want as your peers and from whom you might want advice or help along the way.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I guess I work for a non-profit too? Just like HDD 91. And I only need to work here for 10 years and then the rest of my loans get waived, unless Trump brings back DeVos in 2025.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
Why do partners intentionally print documents on hard copies, make changes via pen then expect the lower-rungs to transcribe their changes? Is this a hazing ritual that I am missing?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Xtronoc posted:

Why do partners intentionally print documents on hard copies, make changes via pen then expect the lower-rungs to transcribe their changes? Is this a hazing ritual that I am missing?

I find it easier and better to revise documents on paper. You miss lots of stuff on the computer. Also sometimes you want someone you are teaching to see what you’re changing and why.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I find it easier and better to revise documents on paper. You miss lots of stuff on the computer. Also sometimes you want someone you are teaching to see what you’re changing and why.

track changes and comments, gramps

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Xtronoc posted:

Many people find it easier to make changes by hand on a print-out

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Xtronoc posted:

My old boss liked to do that because he's 76 and cannot type near as fast as he can scribble on paper.

He also doesn't know how to use track changes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I like to impress underlings with my knowledge of the true copyediting marks

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Xtronoc posted:

Law firm partners sued time to stop at 1984, you're just not enough of a rainmaker to see it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xtronoc posted:

1) reviewing a hard copy makes it easier to spot errors you missed on the screen
2) once you're reviewing a hard copy, making changes by pen is easiest
3) the underling may be getting edits from multiple people, and need to integrate several rounds of edits
4) track changes tends to incentivize juniors to just mash accept change, which means they may miss typos i accidentally introduced (most notably extra/missing spaces which are impossible to see in track changes). hell, i did that plenty as a junior.
5) because my time is worth 2x their time, so we're doing it the way that's easiest for me

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
"The S comes before the Z" just doesn't have the same patrician classiness on a monitor as it does over a nice sheaf of Strathmores.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Xtronoc posted:

Because gently caress trees

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

WHY ARE YOU CALLING THAT PERSON JUST SEND THEM AN EMAIL/TEXT/INSTAGRAM/TICKTOCK/DM

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

1) reviewing a hard copy makes it easier to spot errors you missed on the screen
2) once you're reviewing a hard copy, making changes by pen is easiest
3) the underling may be getting edits from multiple people, and need to integrate several rounds of edits
4) track changes tends to incentivize juniors to just mash accept change, which means they may miss typos i accidentally introduced (most notably extra/missing spaces which are impossible to see in track changes). hell, i did that plenty as a junior.
5) because my time is worth 2x their time, so we're doing it the way that's easiest for me

It's 5 (just 5)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Don't know about law but in my industry, it's this. Infuriating because those junior people could actually be doing real work instead of fanning senior management with a palm leaf.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Don't know about law but in my industry, it's this. Infuriating because those junior people could actually be doing real work instead of fanning senior management with a palm leaf.

it's actually not a joke: our clients pay for my time. if my junior can type comments into the computer, or i can do it myself, i am supposed to do it in the way that minimizes the costs to the client. their time costs less than my time: they want the juniors typing, not me. some clients (like insurance companies) will notice if someone "too senior" is doing something and either not pay for it or only pay at a junior rate.

when it comes to using the juniors to fan me and bring me grapes and wine, that's frowned upon because they could be earning the firm hundreds of dollars an hour typing my scribbles into the documents instead

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

evilweasel posted:

it's actually not a joke: our clients pay for my time. if my junior can type comments into the computer, or i can do it myself, i am supposed to do it in the way that minimizes the costs to the client. their time costs less than my time: they want the juniors typing, not me. some clients (like insurance companies) will notice if someone "too senior" is doing something and either not pay for it or only pay at a junior rate.

when it comes to using the juniors to fan me and bring me grapes and wine, that's frowned upon because they could be earning the firm hundreds of dollars an hour typing my scribbles into the documents instead

Always "submit" to the SEC, never "file" with them. This is the dumbest thing (among many other dumbest things) but 100% true and I've become more and more convinced that the real value that invoice review of this type provides is to get folks to just lower their bill because it's easier than dealing with correcting it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
also, old people's eyes aren't as strong and they may literally have an easier time reading print.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Buncha whippersnappers complaining about proofreading itt. Wait until your first supreme court brief and we'll see if you complain about a little red ink.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Same. I guess I am an old.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

WHY ARE YOU CALLING THAT PERSON JUST SEND THEM AN EMAIL/TEXT/INSTAGRAM/TICKTOCK/DM
And this is how my clients produce loving discoverable poo poo. Because they're too lazy to pick up a goddamn phone.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

at a non profit so you can too
Ok, ken.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hope y'all are reading the details about Avenetti representing himself in the criminal cause brought as a result of him (allegedly, lmao) defrauding his own former clients, it's good loving poo poo

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Vox Nihili posted:

Hope y'all are reading the details about Avenetti representing himself in the criminal cause brought as a result of him (allegedly, lmao) defrauding his own former clients, it's good loving poo poo

Have one of your interns perform a reenactment for us

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

When I read about him getting disbarred and then moving for co-counsel status, I chuckled.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BigHead posted:

When I read about him getting disbarred and then moving for co-counsel status, I chuckled.

Mr. Avenatti, have you participated in a criminal sentencing?
Yes, your honor.
Mr. Avenatti, have you participated in a criminal sentencing as counsel?
No, your honor.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417554531118813184?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417576866265763843?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417560370516959232?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417560885254529024?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417577410124402688?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417578026565443585?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417578504745410563?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417580008759959553?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417585985815126022?s=19

:basta:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417868332661837832?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417876846352338946?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417900427190759424?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417900774663757825?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417908693912285193?s=19

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1417921633331814406?s=19

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I can’t believe I interviewed with a firm. I made a successful escape from law. Why do I still want to do this?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yes…ha ha ha…yes!

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Toona the Cat posted:

I can’t believe I interviewed with a firm. I made a successful escape from law. Why do I still want to do this?

I wish I could be surprised but I’m delighted nonetheless

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Toona the Cat posted:

Self-destructive?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Toona the Cat posted:

The thread scared off all the fresh meat.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Toona the Cat posted:

I can’t believe I interviewed had sex with a firm study partner. I made a successful escape from law marriage. Why do I still want to do this?

We kid because we love Toona.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SlyFrog posted:

We kid because we love Toona.

1. :drat:
2. I had a version of this joke in draft but decided it would be too mean, so thank you for taking the karmic hit while letting me have the laugh.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It always draws you back in somehow. I had 8 years happily away from the practice of law and have just applied to be readmitted because I’m doing something law-adjacent again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Roger Mudd, this is your fate.
You too fish and whitlam