Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The Last Call posted:

BTW for those who want a great He-Man series to read a number of years ago came out a bunch of comics that had everything, including the Horde, Hordak and Adora/She-Ra. It's top notch stuff and worth tracking down if you can find it. It's kinda remarkable since the rights to He-Man and She-Ra are two different groups, hence why they don't cross over or mention the other lately. Bit of a tangled web that is.

DC published it and it's written by Dan Abnett, it's a fun series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Azubah posted:

I mite have to check it that out. I know Abnett has written a lot of 40k stuff and back around 1996 part of what I liked about 40k was that was close to what imagined a grim dark Masters of the Universe would be.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

side_burned posted:

I mite have to check it that out. I know Abnett has written a lot of 40k stuff and back around 1996 part of what I liked about 40k was that was close to what imagined a grim dark Masters of the Universe would be.

It's worth it. The comics is kinda what a lot of folks wanted the new series to be.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azubah posted:

Yeah, although it might take some getting used to Teela who spins like a lot of her time in a fur bikini to start and then a metal one.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, although it might take some getting used to Teela who spins like a lot of her time in a fur bikini to start and then a metal one.

The franchise has always been Frank Frizta for kids.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I wasn't bothered by that, I mean He-Man himself wears fur, it fits the theme of Masters of the Universe. That and Teela does get a look that some went nuts over, in a good way.

Another recent release to check out:

Yes, multiple He-Men from the cartoons, comics, movie and more smashed together. I won't call it brilliant but it's a fun five issue or TPB read to see what happens and what comes next.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
How can there be so many versions of one character that all have terrible haircuts.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
If you want a dose of reality of just how miniscule the people raging & review-bombing on RT about MOTU:R are, take a look at the replies to this tweet by Kevin Smith.

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/1419324002468827138
It's overwhelmingly positive responses that seem very sincere, and a lot of people talking about how moved they were by the show. This is more than likely how most of the people who watched the show reacted to it.

It's easy to get gaslit by reactionary types in fandom circles, to be lead to believe their views are somehow representative of the norm. When in fact, they are extremely niche - especially in this case.

Mind you, I'm not talking about the people who gave the show a fair chance but didn't care for it (and might have measured criticism to make of it) - I'm talking about the people whose reaction is mostly shaped by internet/fandom culture war related nonsense. Many of them are also those self-appointed Truefans(tm) whose understanding and appreciation of a thing seems more rooted in gatekeeping & reactionary nostalgia than sincere enjoyment.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 26, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

How can there be so many versions of one character that all have terrible haircuts.

Multiversal constant.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

side_burned posted:

Even the strongest muscled barber on Eternia is not capable of cutting He-Man's hair.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

side_burned posted:

The franchise has always been Frank Frizta for kids.

The nice part about character designs is you can change them.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

I'm sorry.

I'm not sorry

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Man, those five episodes zoomed by and now we have to wait another few months for the rest of it

I'm glad I've become somewhat immune to puns because good lord those first two episodes...

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

The Last Call posted:

I wasn't bothered by that, I mean He-Man himself wears fur, it fits the theme of Masters of the Universe. That and Teela does get a look that some went nuts over, in a good way.

Another recent release to check out:

Yes, multiple He-Men from the cartoons, comics, movie and more smashed together. I won't call it brilliant but it's a fun five issue or TPB read to see what happens and what comes next.

The one thing that dates this comic immensely is that the He-Man from the "Tappers of Grayskull" mobile game takes center stage a LOT.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spacedad posted:

Not even that. I don't think these people even know what they want.

If it was more like the original, it would have also been seen as 'too woke' and 'virtue signaling' too because...well. Just look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBqEgnyb68o

If things were too edgy, they would have complained it is too edgy. If things set up surprisingly mature emotional stakes that don't give the easy fanservice answer, it's 'woke.'

What possible form could this have taken that wouldn't have resulted in some kind of backlash from these bozos.

The only thing I can think of is if they basically just made a really boring dungeon crawl with pretty animation, but no serious conflict or emotional stakes. Which could still potentially invite backlash for being too shallow.

That's the problem with the fandom menace mob - if you want to make meaningful work or a take that isn't just shallow fanservice specifically aimed at 'pleasing the fandom menace' types, there's not really any pleasing them. They want to feel like THEIR subset is being pandered to - even though their tastes are inherently contradictory to what they object to. (Also, remember that these are the same morons who even turned on Zack Snyder after he trashed them for being toxic philistine reactionaries.) Any work whose creators aren't going out of their way to court and pander to them and their antiwoke narrative specifically is going to invite their backlash no matter what it does.

That's why there's no pleasing them. They're going to rage no matter what - and the fandom menace clickbait youtubers who have built careers out of that outrage have a monetary incentive to be as negative as possible. That's also why their lovely opinions are irrelevant.

It just sucks that they are going to make a lot of negative noise on social media that is outsize to their actual very-niche size.

amen brother.

one huuge red flag is that they keep making GBS threads out videos about this. rather than say take 48 hours and put together a well edited "commentary" but loving kevin smith interacted with them on twitter and they ve been taking mother loving victory laps for days now.

To be clear I remember watching heman on USA cartoon express back in the mother frucking 1990s anyone who was into that poo poo when it first aired in like 1982 would have been born in the loving 1970s

As much as I think its rude to poo poo on the people you wish to entertain I wouldnt make a loving netflix cartoon for 50 year old men.

In short people like clown fish should have a like/disk like rule, as in for everyvideo where they poo poo on something for being "woke" they have to make a video about something they like.

As for the show, it didnt work for me. The pacing felt odd and the VA for skeletor didnt really sell it to me. but again its not some yuuuge sin against 80's kids.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

A big thing in these dumb internet culture wars about entertainment: You can also just 'not like something that isn't for you,' it doesn't have to be this ritualized song-and-dance about woke/antiwoke nonsense or whatever other ideological culture war poo poo you need to pump up your ego over for 'not liking thing.'

Also these dumb pitched battles over this stuff is fundamentally meaningless - it's people on the internet who think freaking out about entertainment on social media is activism. The most that ever happens is show creators or journalists get harassed (which loving sucks, don't get me wrong) and a few people make money off of farming nerd moral panics.

It's a big stupid distraction by people who are just poised to make themselves endlessly miserable over hyperconsumerist pop-cultural dead-ends. No matter how much nostalgia and sincere love you have for them, the cultural stakes couldn't be lower than escapist media franchises that were made to sell toys and games. (Edit: Okay, I've got one lower; mascots made to sell junkfood to kids.)

I dunno - maybe the void in these people's lives is filled by basically LARPing that they're in a meaningful war over this poo poo. Maybe the fake culture war IS the escapism now for them.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 26, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
He-Man was basically my religion when I was a young kid, I watched the cartoons obsessively and had a ton of hand-me-down toys and sets because while I was born in 81 the cartoon was still on TV throughout the 80s and I had two older brothers that were into it when they were a little younger so the toys were in my hands since as long as I could remember. All my fellow kids were into it too and our elementary school even had this giant poster of He-Man with a speech balloon they'd change out to say like "I HAAAVE THE POOOWWER....to [thing obedient good kids should do]!" And I was even into She-Ra also because it was more people with magic weapons battling robot skeleton wizard monster poo poo fuuuuuuck yessssss

I hadn't really thought about it much since beyond laughing at Skeletor/He-Man memes, but that poo poo was always awesome to me. And I think it definitely contributed to me getting into fantasy and sci-fi stuff in general as I got older too.

So I figured they were going for pure campiness when I saw the trailers for this one which is fine. What little we saw of the new She-Ra was really really good so we gave this a chance and it just immediately grabbed us.

I really like how it leaned into the weird sci-fi/fantasy mix and sort of dark fantasy territory setting and all those other elements that were kinda sorta in the cartoon but not really while still having tons of stupid puns. Especially the way the second episode opened up and the way Tri-Klops was rolling around almost gave me like a Book of the New Sun vibe. Like they just did such a fantastic job taking all of the exact stuff and basic characterization there was in the old cartoon and actually moving it forward well without actually losing anything from the original. Genuinely impressive stuff.

It would have been really easy to fall into the trap of making this too dark or boring but they struck a perfect balance with it, and it was so awesome to see characters like Orko especially actually move forward. And it was really cool how they made use of so many of the unused/little used figures and concepts to do that and to deal with questions we had as a kid like whey doesn't Adam just tell Teela that he's He-Man and so on.

I remember a lot of the figures I had were basically figure-only characters that never actually appeared in the cartoon and always watching it thinking "okay maybe ____ will actually show up now," so it was even a great treat to see some of those show up in the show especially the legendary Scare Glow AND he's voiced by Tony Todd? I remember seeing ads for the figure but never had one myself I mean it's a big skeleton dude and it glows in the dark! Like even just seeing the ads made it stick in my mind :black101: That was almost a cooler than the Preternia stuff.

I like how the Andra character is written like she's totally going to be a future champion too with her often being the pun-maker and doing a lot of the sudden corny goody good dialog and actions He-Man was doing in the original show.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 26, 2021

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dave Syndrome posted:

The one thing that dates this comic immensely is that the He-Man from the "Tappers of Grayskull" mobile game takes center stage a LOT.

He was the one character I had no idea where he came from. I figured he was an OC for the comic.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

He-Man was basically my religion when I was a young kid, I watched the cartoons obsessively and had a ton of hand-me-down toys and sets because while I was born in 81 the cartoon was still on TV throughout the 80s and I had two older brothers that were into it when they were a little younger so the toys were in my hands since as long as I could remember. All my fellow kids were into it too and our elementary school even had this giant poster of He-Man with a speech balloon they'd change out to say like "I HAAAVE THE POOOWWER....to [thing obedient good kids should do]!" And I was even into She-Ra also because it was more people with magic weapons battling robot skeleton wizard monster poo poo fuuuuuuck yessssss

I hadn't really thought about it much since beyond laughing at Skeletor/He-Man memes, but that poo poo was always awesome to me. And I think it definitely contributed to me getting into fantasy and sci-fi stuff in general as I got older too.

So I figured they were going for pure campiness when I saw the trailers for this one which is fine. What little we saw of the new She-Ra was really really good so we gave this a chance and it just immediately grabbed us.

I really like how it leaned into the weird sci-fi/fantasy mix and sort of dark fantasy territory setting and all those other elements that were kinda sorta in the cartoon but not really while still having tons of stupid puns. Especially the way the second episode opened up and the way Tri-Klops was rolling around almost gave me like a Book of the New Sun vibe. Like they just did such a fantastic job taking all of the exact stuff and basic characterization there was in the old cartoon and actually moving it forward well without actually losing anything from the original. Genuinely impressive stuff.

It would have been really easy to fall into the trap of making this too dark or boring but they struck a perfect balance with it, and it was so awesome to see characters like Orko especially actually move forward. And it was really cool how they made use of so many of the unused/little used figures and concepts to do that and to deal with questions we had as a kid like whey doesn't Adam just tell Teela that he's He-Man and so on.

I remember a lot of the figures I had were basically figure-only characters that never actually appeared in the cartoon and always watching it thinking "okay maybe ____ will actually show up now," so it was even a great treat to see some of those show up in the show especially the legendary Scare Glow AND he's voiced by Tony Todd? I remember seeing ads for the figure but never had one myself I mean it's a big skeleton dude and it glows in the dark! Like even just seeing the ads made it stick in my mind :black101: That was almost a cooler than the Preternia stuff.

I like how the Andra character is written like she's totally going to be a future champion too with her often being the pun-maker and doing a lot of the sudden corny goody good dialog and actions He-Man was doing in the original show.

did you remember this commerical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHncoxvxRO8

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

I loved my slime pit and wish I had had more slime for it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
What kid didn't love slime.

You also got it in Ghostbusters and TMNT, now and then I think of buying some slime for kicks but I heard any you find these days isn't quite the same. Anyone know for sure?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I remember being insanely jealous of my friend having the TMNT slime one, I would buy slime out of those gumball machines all the time as a kid lol

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I remember getting two Ghostbusters ones that came with ghost. I can confirm that slime did not go well with the era of carpets everywhere.

Also got two slime canisters from TMNT that had the turtles in them. I still remember my horror finding one had fell on it's slide leaking out and pretty much getting ruined.

They did not last long if left out.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nemo2342 posted:

I loved my slime pit and wish I had had more slime for it.

I still have the skull from this, I used it as a candle base in college and my twenties.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Last Call posted:

Orko in the original show was the standard goofy silly sidekick that was constant in cartoons of the time. He was often shouting for He Man and with his voice it likely grated on some people. Now as a kid at the time I wasn't bothered by him, like I said he was the standard silly goof sidekick, every show had one. The older you were though he tended to annoy people. His inability to get spells right was basically his main method of being funny. In the 02 remake I honestly can't remember a thing about him.

Now to New Adventures. This came two years after the original line had wrapped and to be frank not alot of people knew this even existed. Most learned about it later on the net and sought it out. Be it those who watched it originally or sought it out were often both disappointed. The show went in a whole new direction, it had He-Man and Skeletor but had a whole new cast of characters with all the old ones gone. It took place in space and the character designs could be generously described as bland at best.

Ie:

The guy in the middle, it's He Man, can't you tell?

Good ol Skelly:

So yeah, people were not fans of the redesigns. The new baddies were mutants, it was 1990 so of course they were. The developers did try to make things new and fresh but they removed far too much of what people loved about the original show, I mean when you got only two characters from the original show some folk ain't going to be happy.
Add in designs that thrilled no one and it's no surprised this wasn't loved. Didn't help that a certain lean mean green team of ninjas were the hot new thing that crushed all those that dared to try and challenge it.

BTW for those who want a great He-Man series to read a number of years ago came out a bunch of comics that had everything, including the Horde, Hordak and Adora/She-Ra. It's top notch stuff and worth tracking down if you can find it. It's kinda remarkable since the rights to He-Man and She-Ra are two different groups, hence why they don't cross over or mention the other lately. Bit of a tangled web that is.
It me. I'm the one who grew up watching New Adventures, mostly because I watched old reruns and VHSs and had hand-me-down toys of the OG MOTU stuff, and then this stuff came out around the right time for me to be into it (I was 6 or 7). If you're not wedded to the original designs or lore, it's actually decent fun, especially the show's take on Skeletor as an almost self-aware snarky villain. Garry Chalk (later Optimus Primal/Prime on a bunch of Transformers cartoons) played He-Man as I recall. If I remember right the hook was that Adam and Skeletor got sent to the future, so Eternia was much more sci-fi with a dash of high fantasy than the previous 'savage sci-fi' mash-up had been.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Garry Chalk also did the voice of Man at arms in the 2003 reboot.

New series is more deep than I thought it would be. It's interesting seeing how the villains cope with a world without Skeletor (or magic). Like how Tri clops and trapjaw went full Jim Jones with their tech cult, Mer Man not being the complete joke he was in the previous reboot, Beast Man following around the next toughest badass of the group and sounding rather reluctant when Skeletor comes back Evil Lyn in particular was interesting, on one hand she seems like someone that finally walked away from a horrible boyfriend and can let her hair down and open up to others, but she's still a cynical opportunist just the same. Her telling Orko "that's just what your parents made you think" when Orko goes into his spiel about being a screw up was poignant in my opinion. I mean it would be so easy to play up her arrogance and spend the whole time berating Orko as this useless floating turd but in a way I think she saw a little of her own insecurities in the wiz biz.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Evil Lyn in particular was interesting, on one hand she seems like someone that finally walked away from a horrible boyfriend and can let her hair down and open up to others, but she's still a cynical opportunist just the same. Her telling Orko "that's just what your parents made you think" when Orko goes into his spiel about being a screw up was poignant in my opinion. I mean it would be so easy to play up her arrogance and spend the whole time berating Orko as this useless floating turd but in a way I think she saw a little of her own insecurities in the wiz biz.

Based off of episode 4 alone, that's the one thing I'm looking forward to the most from part 2, Orko returning the favor and giving Lyn the boost she needs to finally and truly tell Skeletor to gently caress off for good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm only on ep 2, but good for Kevin for getting his buddy paid. Jason Mewes played Stinkor

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Here's a small-time youtuber who enjoyed the show; one of the positive voices being drowned out by the algorithm of negative clickbait attacking this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkwg3nEPEk

He makes note of a lot of details that are nice touches that really dedicated fans would pick up on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

nine-gear crow posted:

Based off of episode 4 alone, that's the one thing I'm looking forward to the most from part 2, Orko returning the favor and giving Lyn the boost she needs to finally and truly tell Skeletor to gently caress off for good.

There's a good message about being loyal to those who lift you up, not drag you down. I think Evil Lyn sees that even though Orko is sloppy with magic he has friends that have his back. Meanwhile Evil Lyn is very good with magic but Skeletor takes her for granted. Maybe she equated Orkos parents to her relationship with Skeletor and it reminded her of how much he might have held her back to be so desperate for approval.

I also dig Evil Lyn's white hair and the moments she takes the helmet off.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Ya know, this shows got a couple really cool visuals in it.
A lot of the action pieces are genuinely cool and the scene transitions, well
When Roboto begins re-forging the sword and strikes sparks from the anvil and they become the fireflies in the forest where Adam and Teela are talking… well that’s the sort of thing I love in filmmaking.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Panfilo posted:

I also dig Evil Lyn's white hair and the moments she takes the helmet off.

:same:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sorceress is going to be revealed as Teela's mom, right? Is that what the mad babies thought was a lesbian moment?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

moths posted:

Sorceress is going to be revealed as Teela's mom, right? Is that what the mad babies thought was a lesbian moment?

Smith has explicitly talked about it during interview yes. I don't even know at what point anyone could have thought the two shared a lesbian moment. I think they had a solemn moment at some point when Sorceress was stripped of her magic? Was that it? Christ...I'd have thought if they were going to freak out about lesbian stuff it'd be over Andra and Teela's friendship. I could certainly see that leading to more, but I think Teela is supposed to have feelings for Adam going off Evilynn's "holding a torch" comment if nothing else.

That aside, Smith has talked about how the original show laid hints that the Sorceress was Teela's mom but nothing ever came of it, so he wanted to do something with that. I think both Adam and Man-at-Arms mention wanting to tell Teela something, but events interrupting both too. Duncan certainly does, since he wants to be clear with her since she's so upset about Adam hiding his identity from her, but she tells him to do so after their mission or something if I recall.

Also, if anyone wants commentaries, Kevin Smith put up commentary videos for each episode on his YouTube channel that you can sync up with the episode on Netflix as it plays. He's alone in the first since he wrote that episode himself, but speaks to the writer of each episode as the commentary track after that. It's a video, so you could watch him and the writer chatting away instead if you wanted, I suppose. I haven't watched any of them to say if they contain any interesting information, but they're there for anyone who wants them. I might look myself in a few days, but I wasn't that enamored with the show that I care to re-watch any episode this soon personally. Not that I disliked it by any stretch, I just had my fill for the moment.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 27, 2021

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Now that I read some of the imdb's user reviews I feel a little guilty about not liking the show at all. Masters is about smashing little plastic men together, why couldn't we have that. It's like you were in your room, playing with your toys and then your uncle comes in, picks up a smurf and tries to convince you that it's a nice character, yes, but he lacks depth and it would make for a much better story if he were physically sick and clinical depressed, but would eventually overcome his inhibitions and die for his friends, finally finding meaning in his sacrifice. Now that's how a good story is told!

The actual concept is intriguing though. Thank good they didn't pit one side against the other: The good guys waiting to be attacked, the bad guys failing at the last minute because, suprisingly, He-Man is rather muscular and has the power of friendship. Instead we get the post-game, after the two main guys have fallen, while a known character travels through the world, discovering its secrets and... herself. Now there is an opportunity to get to know Eternia's inhabitants a little better, some of them may even have a change of heart and form new alliances. That is good. Teela, the protagonist, is written terribly though. She's introduced as "a brillant technician, a lethal warrior and master strategist" and thus has no weakness. That's some bland Mary Sue. Besides, why is she holding a grudge for an eternity? You can't take the silly secret-identity concept and make it a real-life problem. Would Lois Lane sulk for years, aunt May, Batman's associates? What a weird hook. All she encounters are bland dialogs, even from a villainnes as interesting as Evil Lyn. There is no uneasiness, no underlying threat, we have changed sides now and are a little mean maybe and that's it.

Stupid random nitpicks for EP1:

Could have used Castle Grayskull's cannon instead of those random energy crystals to shoot things.
None of the guests in the palace move an inch. Compare this with the scene in the royal palace in the 2002 reboot, which has much more fluid animation and generally looks better. If you are not speaking in this series we can hardly spare any animation frames for you.
The first time somebody is hit with a energy ball out of nowhere it's kind of cool, the second and third time it just seems like there is some animation missing. When Battle Cat strikes it's so fast it's easy to miss and tell what happens there. Generally the pacing is weird as heck.
The puns I don't care for. Would be fun for a good show, the way it is it's just people who don't care about the IP trying to be clever.
Everyone is so milquetoast and without character. Teela is overly aggressive in some scenes, which makes her unlikable, all the others just do what the plot needs them to do. Don't like her redesign or her friend much. That does not put me in the camp of the other critics I don't belong to, but it's probably useless to argue.

Altogether Beast Man is not used well. Lets us know he doesn't like firebats, otherwise does not command too many beasts here. 2002 show did this so much better.
Stinkor is useless, sadly. Man-At-Arms on the other hand is far too strong. Rescuing everyone without breaking a sweat several times. Is hyper mobile, commands overwhelming firepower and is totally composed at all times. Weird choice. Orko is the worst. Good drat. What a sob story.

There is this bit where it's clear they did their research and I didn't know whether to groan or approvingly nod when I first saw that bone-headed snake mountain soldier. Or the gathering of the prototypes in paradise city which were nicely incorporated in the overall story. Man, with the right writing this could have been great.

The problem is these characters are not meant to represent living beings. They represent something. Like He-Man is the embodiment of strength and virtue. Of course they can have a crisis too, but if you treat them like dishevelled people for too long all you get is an interesting cinematic experiment because then they lose what they stand for in the deconstruction. To reiterate: While there is a fascinating concept underneath, the whole show is boring, especially the physical conflicts and the dialogues which are both badly set up, played out and solved.

quote:

Also, if anyone wants commentaries, Kevin Smith put up commentary videos for each episode on his YouTube channel that you can sync up with the episode on Netflix as it plays.
That's good to know. Thanks!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Source your quotes

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Teela isn't introduced as a master technician, that's her friend Andra. I'd also say like, if you're coming from a place of deference to the original show, Teela was highly competent in that show too and she was often characterised as short-tempered and impatient with Adam.

The 80s run has wildly variable script quality but there are a few episodes focusing on Teela, some of them written by a young Paul Dini, that go to some of the same places that are being explored here. It's a pretty consistent beat that Teela is the kingdom's mightiest "official" warrior, who gets sent out to do all the sword-fighting and prince-guarding, since He-Man is effectively a masked superhero who shows up only when he's needed.

The cheesy puns also felt like a love letter to the original show. It was packed full of them - the opening of the first episode especially, with its campy dialogue, felt like an elaborate table-setting establishing that (before everything goes wrong) this world has the same tone and camp cadence as the 80s show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, what was Teela like in the 2002 show? Basically the same as her other counterparts?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Teela's shortcomings are that she holds a grudge and has trouble reconciling challenges to her world view. It's especially fitting when you look at who doesn't see that.

In Episode 1, Sorceress is like "I've halted time to look at you one last time, Teela" and Teela's like "...wut?" I think that's the scene "fans" are interpreting as a woke lesbian thing because that's what the internet has primed them for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

moths posted:

Teela's shortcomings are that she holds a grudge and has trouble reconciling challenges to her world view. It's especially fitting when you look at who doesn't see that.

In Episode 1, Sorceress is like "I've halted time to look at you one last time, Teela" and Teela's like "...wut?" I think that's the scene "fans" are interpreting as a woke lesbian thing because that's what the internet has primed them for.

Which is weird because that read way more like “I’m your mom” to me.