Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

MLSM posted:

Dune will still be streaming on HBOmax alongside its theatrical release, right? I really don’t feel like dying from COVID or, worse, getting long-COVID (I have relatives with this, and it’s not a pretty sight) from seeing this movie in a theater. My state is a hotspot full of anti-mask CHUDS… so, yeah…

Isn't getting vaxinated an option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was gonna say lol.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Even vaccinated delta sounds worth avoiding. I've heard it's like a nasty cold even with the vaccine.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Isn't getting vaxinated an option?
As someone currently recovering from symptomatic breakthrough covid, the delta variant isn't to be taken lightly.

The county nurse who followed up with me after my positive test said I should be protected from reinfection for ~90 days which is right around the release of this movie. Before getting sick I was sure I'd see this in theaters since hey, I'm vaccinated, but now I'm less sure.

Maybe I'll go with a half-face respirator and pretend its cosplay.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Dune is only in theaters

You can’t live your life in fear. Fear is the mind killer.

just kidding better to have the mind killer than the lung killer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I survived Covid and got a vax. I’m gonna dunc it up.

Only lasting effect I have is all poop smells like sulfur. Esp in the towns that have a bunch of cow poo poo clogging up the air.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wizchine posted:

I didn't hear any ululation in the vocals. Is anything from a Middle-Eastern or North African musical tradition verboten, despite the logical shorthand connecting them to the imaginary Fremen?

fremen break out in Irish riverdancing, but with uneven steps so as not to attract the worms

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Dune is only in theaters
when did that change? It was listed with all the other HBO streaming releases for months.

edit: Dune is still listed on this page https://www.hbomax.com/same-day-premieres

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 24, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

when did that change? It was listed with all the other HBO streaming releases for months.

edit: Dune is still listed on this page https://www.hbomax.com/same-day-premieres

Yeah, Villeneuve and Legendary raised holy hell about the day-and-date streaming thing, but WB is the final arbiter of distribution and held firm that it's going to HBO Max the same day as theaters.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, the producers were pissed when HBO first announced they were doing a same day streaming release, but that's still the plan according to the most recent news.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Neo Rasa posted:

[futuristic lamentation music]

I think this is literally the title of Gary Numan's next album. They should have just had him do the soundtrack.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Clearly, Eon needs to be on the soundtrack with this and this.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I hope another streaming service in Australia picks up Dune, because you can't get HBO Max here and I sure as hell am not setting foot in a movie theater in the near future.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

IMO they should just do a Nirvana song but slow it down, remove the grunge guitars/drums and let Susan Boyle sing it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

bawfuls posted:

Ah, sorry I was looking at outdated news

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Arglebargle III posted:

Even vaccinated delta sounds worth avoiding. I've heard it's like a nasty cold even with the vaccine.

I heard that 99% of people getting it are unvaxed. :shrug:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
People still not taking COVID seriously when every month it's been:

"We're fine, it's all fine! Open 'er up!"
(two weeks pass)
"Massive uptick in COVID cases! Who could have foreseen?!"
(two weeks and a boatload of people pass)

That has been happening every month for the last year-and-a-half.

Being vaxxed helps but that doesn't mean you're just magically immune. I love Dune but I'm not taking the risk of sitting around with a bunch of people in the same room for ~2 hours. Besides, the government is probably juking the stats a little bit so they look more firmly in control. For sure the vaccine isn't 95% effective or w/e the claim was.

I'll be watching it at home, is what I'm saying.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

phasmid posted:

People still not taking COVID seriously when every month it's been:

(two weeks pass)
"Massive uptick in COVID cases! Who could have foreseen?!"
(two weeks and a boatload of people pass)

That has been happening every month for the last year-and-a-half.

Being vaxxed helps but that doesn't mean you're just magically immune. I love Dune but I'm not taking the risk of sitting around with a bunch of people in the same room for ~2 hours. Besides, the government is probably juking the stats a little bit so they look more firmly in control. For sure the vaccine isn't 95% effective or w/e the claim was.

I'll be watching it at home, is what I'm saying.

Dude, the massive uptick is literally those who are not vaxed.

This plague wiped me out for 2 weeks in March. I then got vaxed, and I'll ba damned if I am going to be avoiding a theater at this point because 99% catching it cannot be bothered to get a loving shot in the arm.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 25, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

phasmid posted:

It's actually more effective than that. The vaccines were an unbelievable godsend the problem is people not getting vaccinated.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Hasselblad posted:

I just don't like the idea of us all being walking bioweapons. You know. I just don't want any decent ppl to get sick because of me. If the plague only killed ppl who sucked, I'd say game on.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's actually more effective than that.

My data could be outdated. All right. Still, please try to protect yourselves, threadreaders and moviegoers.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

phasmid posted:

I just don't like the idea of us all being walking bioweapons. You know. I just don't want any decent ppl to get sick because of me. If the plague only killed ppl who sucked, I'd say game on.

My data could be outdated. All right. Still, please try to protect yourselves, threadreaders and moviegoers.

Do you get a flu shot every year? Do you bunker down at home during flu season?
I would wager good money, that at this point in time you are more likely to die from the common flu than you are of covid as a vaxinated individual.

Get vaxed, wash your filthy paws every so often. You'll probably survive, despite the "second wave" narrative being perpetuated based on idiots who cannot be bothered to get jabbed.

Or down a bunch of spice. I hear that has geriatric qualities as well.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Hasselblad posted:

Do you get a flu shot every year? Do you bunker down at home during flu season?
No and no. Still hate getting it though. lol

Hasselblad posted:

Or down a bunch of spice. I hear that has geriatric qualities as well.
It would be cool to be immune to poisons and stuff..

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

phasmid posted:

It's weird because in some states it's close to over and others the pandemic is raging as bad as it ever has so it's a state by state judgement whether going to the pictures will be safe or not. I'm lucky to be in one of the states closing in on possible herd immunity so it's not really a risk to go but if I was in Florida or some poo poo I'd be as housebound as ever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The vaccine is very good but I still don't want to catch a week of flu symptoms from a knuckle-dragger.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

phasmid posted:

It would be cool to be immune to poisons and stuff..

You're not immune to poisons unless you transform the spice essence

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

This plague wiped me out for 2 weeks in March. I then got vaxed, and I'll ba damned if I am going to be avoiding a theater at this point because 99% catching it cannot be bothered to get a loving shot in the arm.
In places where less than 10% of people are vaccinated, sure. But in places with vaccination rates over 50%, it's more like 85% of infections are among the unvaccinated. 99% in this context is hyperbolic and implies unwarranted safety to those vaccinated.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's actually more effective than that. The vaccines were an unbelievable godsend the problem is people not getting vaccinated.

I'll just reiterate that I am currently sick with COVID despite being fully vaccinated (Pfizer). Today is my 6th day of symptoms, second without a fever. I have zero sense of smell right now. We're growing cannabis outside which was extremely aromatic to me a week ago but if I shove my nose in it I can't smell it at all right now.

The vaccine is quite effective at preventing hospitalization/death, but it is no guarantee against infection nor symptoms. Consider your risks accordingly.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 25, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I have seen two main branchings along the way ahead--in one people keep talking about COVID in this thread. The thought of this path and what lay along it sickens me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Discussions about in-theater viewing and covid risks are unavoidable in this thread and it's foolish to expect otherwise.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's weird because in some states it's close to over and others the pandemic is raging as bad as it ever has so it's a state by state judgement whether going to the pictures will be safe or not. I'm lucky to be in one of the states closing in on possible herd immunity so it's not really a risk to go but if I was in Florida or some poo poo I'd be as housebound as ever.

I'm in one of those states where no one gave a gently caress to begin with because of "freedom" and I've had coworkers tell me they're not vaccinated because the vaccine doesn't actually prevent you from getting it, it just masks your symptoms but you're still contagious so it's actually more dangerous to get the vaccine.

So yeah, I will be watching this from the comfort of my living room.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Paul: Spice is everywhere on Arrakis, Mother, can you smell it?
Lady Jessica: *cough cough* No. *cough*

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The vaccines are incredibly effective in preventing you from dying. As we’ve seen from this very thread, it does not make you immune. Even if it’s “just” a severe cold that doesn’t require hospitalization, that still seems worth avoiding for a lot of people.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I wish my dad was Duke Leto

so he would loving die already

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Tighclops posted:

I wish my dad was Duke Leto

so he would loving die already

Tell him he'd make a good bullfighter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I try to pick a seat as far away from other people as possible when I go to movies.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Man, part of what really wounds the Lynch movie is the awful, awful sound mix. It's just painful.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm planning to watch the movie "dune" in cinemas (no covid)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Do the No Covid tickets cost extra?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roth posted:

I try to pick a seat as far away from other people as possible when I go to movies.

I sit on people’s lap.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just rent the theater out with some buddies. Easy peasy

In serious I was planning to see this in theaters but I'm concerned about the vaxx effectiveness lasting against delta now that Israel dropped that new study that shows a huge drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Hasselblad posted:

My five and two year old can't get a shot yet. It isn't just braindead chuds, it's also immunocompromised and kids we should be thinking about.