Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

blazing saddles and young frankenstein came out the same year? drat, dude

its almost as incredible as Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Loki and Sylvie were good and funny, though I do wish Moebius hadn't turned the subtext into text. Watching a narcissist fall in love with themself was fine without needing it pointed out.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they didn’t fall in love, they were put in love. they didn’t have any choice in the matter

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

You really want to have a time travel/predestination discussion about Loki? Because the very idea strikes me as extremely played out and exhausting.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i hope the horrible performance of black widow is a sign of things to come for comic book movies.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Seeing Prince Adam transform into He-Man in the new show and he just turns naked and glows rainbows. Then there's a shot of his bare rear end before it's covered by his fur skirt.

How could you look at that and say 'This is a MANLY MAN'S show'?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Seeing Prince Adam transform into He-Man in the new show and he just turns naked and glows rainbows. Then there's a shot of his bare rear end before it's covered by his fur skirt.

How could you look at that and say 'This is a MANLY MAN'S show'?

He Man has always been a magical girl anime, it's true.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
He-Man is another example of how fake dumb nerds can be. They were all children in the 80s so everything went over their head. Their brother shows them Robocop and they think it's just a cyborg man shooting people and don't understand why he laughs at how He-Man looks. They consumed media without critical thinking and now they see all the subtext in new stuff and it bothers them.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

He-Man is another example of how fake dumb nerds can be. They were all children in the 80s so everything went over their head. Their brother shows them Robocop and they think it's just a cyborg man shooting people and don't understand why he laughs at how He-Man looks. They consumed media without critical thinking and now they see all the subtext in new stuff and it bothers them.

To be fair, all the people funding that media had no idea there was anything subversive there and would have stamped it out if they realised.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the trailer for the Neill Blomkamp horror film came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYXLKC5xd7Q

"The Vatican has been funding a black ops unit, using priests as soldiers"

i feel like the operator priests are fighting demons as part of doing penance for sex crimes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

neill blumpkin

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

he man is a children's show from before i was even born and i'm like 30, how pathetic do you have to be to care about it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

i feel like the operator priests are fighting demons as part of doing penance for sex crimes

that looks pretty cool. i wish that they hadnt spoiled the swat team part bc it wouldve been a fun twist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

this looks fun

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Vatican ninjas fighting vampires/demons/etc. have been a thing in emdia for a very long time.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheLincoln/status/1419328746583101444

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

I remember Hollywood had a wild glut on Western movies to the point that over 50 of them were released in a year and it died down in the late 50s. There was a point that there were more Western movie releases than all other movie genre releases combined in a given year.

The superhero stuff is due to die off in a few more years. Can’t repeat Avengers: Endgame

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
complaining about annoying hollywood trends is some weak-rear end poo poo. real movie buffs know that the true way is to do a deep dive on movies from bangladesh or turkey or whatever and then bring them up in every conversation

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Can’t repeat Avengers: Endgame
Disney, the US Military and Silicon Valley (but I repeat myself twice): Hold my adrenochrome-laced beer.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

are there Turkish guys who think they're experts on the Ottomans because they watch a bunch of dramas set in that era

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I remember Hollywood had a wild glut on Western movies to the point that over 50 of them were released in a year and it died down in the late 50s. There was a point that there were more Western movie releases than all other movie genre releases combined in a given year.

The superhero stuff is due to die off in a few more years. Can’t repeat Avengers: Endgame

only like 10 more years to go then :)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Black widow killed the mcu lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

McCloud posted:

Why are people mad over Smiths He-man, the franchise was never anything more than glorified toy commercials and fetish incubator anyways
Are you really gonna ask why reactionaries are mad at anything and everything and try to use it to whip up further frothing reactionary rage?

Case in point:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Reactionaries do not like anything unless they believe it owns libs. Like nothing from the new MCU/DC movies is going to make them feel good. Even if a new movie turns out good, it has to own libs in their eyes or it's trash to them.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

new He-Man has Mark Hamill as Skeletor I'll give it a watch

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tiberius Christ posted:

new He-Man has Mark Hamill as Skeletor I'll give it a watch

he doesn't even bother to try doing the voice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't really great that Teela gets turned into a huge rear end in a top hat as well as being openly a lesbian. Got really 'old white guy's idea of a Strong Female Character; an angry lesbian' vibes. (especially since She-Ra established that strong female characters can instead be dorky lesbians)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

hell 3 out of the top 10 movies in '74 were disaster movies (Airport, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) which is more similar to the superhero movies of today as being big budget blockbusters

edit: and all 3 are loving terrible

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

blazing saddles and young frankenstein came out the same year? drat, dude

Not only that but some of the highest grossing films of the years. Thats pretty cool

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

he man is a children's show from before i was even born and i'm like 30, how pathetic do you have to be to care about it

Skeltor is a gay icon

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

extremely meh. where is district 10.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Skeltor is a gay icon

oh yes just watch this instead its much shorter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PgTjhx1VLw

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ArmZ posted:

extremely meh. where is district 10.

I'd rather he expand that Firebase short into a feature. Probably the closest to a Metal Gear movie we'll ever get

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Reactionaries do not like anything unless they believe it owns libs. Like nothing from the new MCU/DC movies is going to make them feel good. Even if a new movie turns out good, it has to own libs in their eyes or it's trash to them.

Owning the libs isn't the main thing. Reactionaries want all media to promote and enforce what they think Christianity used to be like. Essentially all Hollywood movies should be non stop hectoring about Christian sexual morality and how conservative Christians should be respected and held up for their hectoring.

Anything that does not do that is inherently evil. What keeps the Rod Dreher's up at night isn't owning the libs, it's that people don't agree with them, and even worse people think poorly of them for their world views.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Ghostbusters/status/1419688964022231045

Wut

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Someone in Hollywood is really, really convinced that people want more Ghostbusters.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the only good ghostbusters sequel was Mistah F.A.B.’s Ghost Ride It music video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

indigi posted:

the only good ghostbusters sequel was Mistah F.A.B.’s Ghost Ride It music video
💯