Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I've once again given up on Pillars of Eternity for the third time after about 20 hours. I want to try the second one, which I heard was better, but I have this problem where I can't play a sequel without finishing the first one, which will never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Same, I gave up on the first PoE after five hours but I've played through the second one twice and had a great time

Giving up on Red Dead 2 is probably my most haunting failure but I just couldn't take any more

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gonna need about 5 placeholders. I’ll let you know when I get home.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That Little Demon posted:

I've once again given up on Pillars of Eternity for the third time after about 20 hours. I want to try the second one, which I heard was better, but I have this problem where I can't play a sequel without finishing the first one, which will never happen

if you saw the house with the gigantic adra statue in it you know everything you need to know for poe2 lol. poe1 sucks so much

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I keep buying Tales games and quitting them halfway. They are all the same thing basically so I don’t know why I keep trying them other than lust for more rpg

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Reaverbot posted:

I keep buying Tales games and quitting them halfway. They are all the same thing basically so I don’t know why I keep trying them other than lust for more rpg

100% same. I quit Vesperia because I wasn’t having fun and then I really tried to enjoy Berseria but I had to admit I just didn’t like it lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i've tried starting New Vegas several times but never even made it to the Strip before my interest waned and i'd move on. i'm not entirely sure why since i liked what i played. might've just got tired of staring at the Mojave so often

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I might try these again:
FF 13-3 - didn't like managing outfits and most of them look stupid!! I wanted more of the paradigm battle system I guess
Lunar Silver Star Story - not sure why i quit this one i just got bored wit hit and didn't play for a few days which turned into years.
Grandia Xtreme - I played the first dungeon but was burned out after beating grandia 1-3
FF 15 - the battle system isn't interesting
Majora's Mask - The creepy moon. Jesus Christt.

Flushed:
Team Fortress 2 - the best team fps with classic dm guns until they ruined it with a bunch of dumb items and weapons. pretty much unplayable now due to automated aimbots that join every server
GTA V - too many stupid cut scenes
Suikoden IV - the boat is fail
Escape From Tarkov - great concept but it's a unity pile with bad 90's netcode and cheats that won't be fixed

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Every year I spend days trying to beat octopath start to finish but always get frustrated with it's glacial pace and drop it. I either need to just pick up where I left off or stop trying at this point.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Monster Hunter World. I've tried twice and done ok but the seemingly endless grind for gear with incremental progress makes me think I'm playing a MMO

Which is funny because I come back to Destiny 2 every year for at least a month and quit for a while too.

And Cyberpunk for technical reasons, as my PC is incapable of getting higher than 15 fps

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
GTA V - Started this in quarantine and had to stop, Rockstar listening to the criticism of IV led to this game being very safe and boring.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I also recently had to give up on Bioshock remastered because of a bug that would delete your save and autosave, and its a common issue and was never fixed. I was near the end too.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

Every year I spend days trying to beat octopath start to finish but always get frustrated with it's glacial pace and drop it. I either need to just pick up where I left off or stop trying at this point.

Yeah it took me years to finish cause I'd put it down for months at a time. The true final boss is insanely sick though so it's worth it.

I tapped out like 80-90% through Dragon Quest 7, it just kept going and going and going. I've got to finish it someday.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Plebian Parasite posted:

I’m in the same camp, I don’t want to admit that I’ve given it up because I love the battle system and I like the characters and stories, but every battle, even random ones, takes so long, and you have to grind to keep your team on pace because only the active party gets any XP, and then on top of that the episodic nature of the story makes it so easy to play a chapter or two and then put it down for 6 months. I swear I’ll finish it one day but it might be in 10 years on the Switch 3

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I started Metroid Prime 2 a couple years ago, got about halfway and then forgot about it when I got my Switch. I've fired it up a couple times since then but I couldn't remember where I was or how to do anything. I might just start over, someday...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pillars for me too. I think I've gotten to Defiance Bay a few times and something else has grabbed my interest.

Bloodborne is another game I just stopped playing. Got stuck on Father Gasgoine many years ago and when I finally beat him I felt so elated, I just turned off the console and never played it again.

I gave up on Metroid Prime and Kingdom Hearts 1 almost 20 years ago and before I could even think about getting back to htem all of my games got stolen and theyve been gnawing away at my mind all of this time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I also stopped playing the Witcher 3 near the end a few years ago and just never played it again...its still installed on my PC just waiting for me to jump back in a shag some whores over a game of Gwent.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pillars 1 is whatever but 2 is way better nd has a full recap at the start and optional build a save menu, i'd say just skip to 2

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Death Stranding sat in my disk tray for over a year and once a month I would launch it, remember I was at a BT part, then unlaunch it until I finally uninstalled it.

Final Fantasy 2 I restart every couple of years and ragequit soon afterwards.

Okami I quit halfway through at least four times but I did finally finish it (twice).

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Fungah! posted:

pillars 1 is whatever but 2 is way better nd has a full recap at the start and optional build a save menu, i'd say just skip to 2

like, I get it.. but I can't, I feel like I'm cheating myself even though I didn't like 1 at all. I'm the same way with any numbered series, like I beat all DQ and FF before I go to the next one too lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

like, I get it.. but I can't, I feel like I'm cheating myself even though I didn't like 1 at all. I'm the same way with any numbered series, like I beat all DQ and FF before I go to the next one too lol

I dont even think its bad. I like the Lore well enough...just it isnt very exciting. Also, I get burned out descending into the castle basement every time.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Neverwinter Nights 2. I always get to the bandit mountain and realize there's another good 10 hours before I get to any good part of the game and quit. I know Mask of the Betrayer is supposed to be amazing but since it's technically a direct sequel.I can't play it unless I beat 2 first. It doesn't help that nwn2 is an insanely janky game, after I upgraded my computer performance got WORSE somehow, not like graphics wise or low fps but weird glitches like rubberbanding in singleplayer mode which made combat even more painful than it already was

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2. I always get to the bandit mountain and realize there's another good 10 hours before I get to any good part of the game and quit. I know Mask of the Betrayer is supposed to be amazing but since it's technically a direct sequel.I can't play it unless I beat 2 first. It doesn't help that nwn2 is an insanely janky game, after I upgraded my computer performance got WORSE somehow, not like graphics wise or low fps but weird glitches like rubberbanding in singleplayer mode which made combat even more painful than it already was

had this exact same experience except i managed to power through it by gratuitous use of console commands to skip through the awful stuff (most of nwn2). i think you could probably watch a recap of 2 and head right into mask, the hardest part is figuring out how to play 3rd edition dnd as an extremely high level character. if you start in mask they shotgun 5000000 experience at you and you spend an hour in dozens of levelup screens.

i will never finish nwn1 though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think the only game that I’ve ever consciously, deliberately given up on (as opposed to like “well, I’ll get back to this one day when I’m in more of a mood for it” and then that day never comes) was Rage 2. I drove out to the first bandit camp nearest the tutorial area and cleared it out, but they blew up my car during the fight. The walking speed in that game is like half the speed it should be so I just said gently caress it, quit, uninstalled, and never played again instead of walking back to base.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I dont even think its bad. I like the Lore well enough...just it isnt very exciting. Also, I get burned out descending into the castle basement every time.

this is where I quit this time

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I dropped bravely default 2 on like act 6. Got bored of steamrolling the content and yes this is on hard and no I didn’t look up comps. Adelle just happens to be a god and that’s that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

had this exact same experience except i managed to power through it by gratuitous use of console commands to skip through the awful stuff (most of nwn2). i think you could probably watch a recap of 2 and head right into mask, the hardest part is figuring out how to play 3rd edition dnd as an extremely high level character. if you start in mask they shotgun 5000000 experience at you and you spend an hour in dozens of levelup screens.

i will never finish nwn1 though

Yeah if I ever try it again I'll probably do what I did when I was 12 playing nwn1, just hack myself to max level and make a bunch of custom longswords with +12 vorpal annihilation and epic level spells at will

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
started outer wilds and couldnt give a single drat about anything any of those muppets had to say, flushed

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Frenz posted:

Suikoden IV - the boat is fail

fact

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played like two planets of Outer Worlds and then gave up when I realised I'd already seen every single enemy the game was going to offer

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

elf help book posted:

started outer wilds and couldnt give a single drat about anything any of those muppets had to say, flushed

yup

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think the only game that I’ve ever consciously, deliberately given up on (as opposed to like “well, I’ll get back to this one day when I’m in more of a mood for it” and then that day never comes) was Rage 2. I drove out to the first bandit camp nearest the tutorial area and cleared it out, but they blew up my car during the fight. The walking speed in that game is like half the speed it should be so I just said gently caress it, quit, uninstalled, and never played again instead of walking back to base.

lol, you lasted longer than me. i never left the first area and quit as soon as i realised theyd doubled down on the open world aspects, the actual only bad part from rage

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

elf help book posted:

mods please permaban this troll immediately

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
darkest dungeon

I was hanging in there for a good few setbacks, but then all my best dudes got eaten by the cauldron witch, and I fully ragequit, uninstalled, swore I'd never play it again

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dota, because I wanted to try being happy and mentally healthy for a while

probably gonna start playing again soon

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, like some of you I gave up on PoE1 and NWN2. Also Tyranny actually, although I don't recall why I stopped - since it did seem to be a bit better than PoE was.
I should probably just skip to PoE2, but like That Little Demon, I just...don't like skipping ahead. Are they really just separate entirely, or are there some plot elements that are better/clearer if you play through the original?

Also, I must confess that I gave up on Assassin's Creed 4 and Revelations. I liked playing 1, 2, BH and even 3, but by the time I got around to 4 and Rev, I'd kinda just had enough.
I know AC4 is the one everyone raves about, but eh I dunno. Just seemed like it was both too samey gameplay-wise, but also too much of a departure from the classic games, in terms of setting. v:shobon:v

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

While you were parrying I studied the dodge.

Seriously, any game with a good dodge, dive, roll, blink, whatever, I'm slinking around untouchable. Monster Hunter? Watch me i-frame right through this bullshit pleisioth hip check. Bayonetta? Witch time, all the time. Ruiner? You thought I was over there but actually I'm over here. Even in turn based games I max out agility, evasion, luck, etc. Untouchable.

But Sekiro? With all the parrying??? Goddamn game BROKE ME. Game's got a decent dodge but you 100% have to parry and my brain just isn't wired that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Martman posted:

Dota, because I wanted to try being happy and mentally healthy for a while

probably gonna start playing again soon

dont do it op, i stopped playing and my heart now knows peace