Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
Because I hate myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jefinabox posted:

Because I hate myself

I had a big time thing for Defenders back in my childhood, hell I still do. That thing looks sexy, hope it brings you a lot of fun while hating it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I bought a very cheap car as a winter/rallycross beater. Emphasis on cheap beater...
Shitbox A brought shitbox B home:

I still haven't taken it off the trailer, but here's a dump of the hooptieness of this shitpile. I did not take a pic of the odo, but it has 290k miles on it.
It has BOTH cats, so just selling the cats will pay for most of what I bought it for. If it lasts a winter of daily driving and a season of rallycross, I'll be way ahead.

VISIBLE CONFUSION??

This lake was bigger, it has gone down... yes, i'll poke a hole.

Yes, you're seeing that right, the ENTIRE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR is bondo.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

chrisgt posted:

I still haven't taken it off the trailer, but here's a dump of the hooptieness of this shitpile.

that's more magnificent to me than a bunch of shiny new sports cars

just... amazing work, I'm sure you have so many new treasures to find too

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Modus Man posted:

Nice find! How has the special platinum edition leather held up? It seems like every platinum that I see for sale in that age/mileage/price range has ragged looking leather. Im trying to figure out if it is because it’s a “real” open grain leather and nobody knows how to take care of it or it just wears like that naturally.

Ive been looking for a replacement for our 2003 Suburban for about a year now but I’ve just been watching the prices go up like crazy. I want the 6.2 and the 6 speed so I’ve only been looking at 2013-2014 Escalade ESV’s and Yukon XL Denali’s for that almost bulletproof drivetrain combo.

I haven't tried to clean it up yet but there are no tears, rips, major scuffs etc from what I've seen. It certainly has the 'weathered' look in areas which I guess is intentional. From the manual:

TEHAMA™ Leather
The leather surface on the seat was not designed to be aggressively cleaned using any commercial product. Use a well wrung cloth dampened with water to remove
dust. Do not use a wet cloth or saturated the leather surface with water. Allow the leather to dry naturally. If a soil occurs that cannot be completely removed, allow it to
become part of the natural markings of the leather. The leather is designed to have a natural appearance and develop a more vintage appearance with use. Do not use heat to dry. Never use steam to clean leather. Never use spot lifters or spot removers on leather. It is very important not to use any commercial leather cleaners and coatings that are sold to preserve and protect leather. Not only are those products not necessary, they will permanently and adversely change the appearance and feel of the leather.
Never use silicone or wax-based products, or those containing organic solvents to clean the interior. Never use shoe polish on leather.

I'm glad you asked so I could look this up instead of doing something stupid. Besides a good detail the only things I need to do in the short-term is to replace the rear door handles which are starting to pull apart from the doors and upgrade/replace the head unit because the screen is going out. Apparently the door handles are wear items on all their trucks from this generation because GM used a cheap plastic nut to hold them together.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
Recently traded my 2021 Tundra TRD Pro and 2018 Dodge Hellcat for the Shelby F-250 Super Baja. It is nothing short of bad rear end and a helluva smooth ride. The engine and transmission are unmodified stock F-250 Diesel but the suspension and under carriage was completely redone by Shelby America. I can peg 90 MPH and not even realize it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Nice truck bro, what'd they do to the chassis and suspension?

Jefinabox posted:

Because I hate myself

Badass. vm2.5? 300tdi? 3.5? lmao

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Badass. vm2.5? 300tdi? 3.5? lmao

300tdi, on a galvanised chassis and td5 bulkhead.

It's in really good condition and is really clean, but it's quite farmer spec. I'm currently adding central locking and fixing niggles, then i plan to work on the suspension and brakes. I used to always have a 90 or series, this is my first 110. Bizarrely it's shorter than my caddy van

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Did you also get fed up of people trying to race you in your Hellcat? That, seeing them everywhere and the interior not really standing up well we’re the reasons I chopped my Scat Pack in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

Emphasis on cheap beater...

I love this. So much.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Just getting tetnus from hanging my arm out the window, no biggie.

Actually i suppose any number of things are going to send you to the ER on that car. gently caress yea.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

New to me 2017 3.6r Outback. First project was putting hyperdip on the wheels and removing a silver plastic bumper lip cover.

Was gonna install a stiffer rear sway bar, but I encountered some rusty bolts, so i retreated, lest a 15 minute job take up the entire weekend.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Mcqueen posted:

Just getting tetnus from hanging my arm out the window, no biggie.

Actually i suppose any number of things are going to send you to the ER on that car. gently caress yea.

I get my tetanus booster religiously, don't worry. I figure it's part of the cost of owning a fleet of this garbage.
Shockingly enough, this isn't near the worst car i've driven. in college i drove a car for a year that had no floors and barely any brakes.
there was a hill stop where the pedal always went to the floor waiting for the light and the parking brake didn't work either, of course it was a manual...

then there was my car with a broken subframe ratchet strapped together, about 1/8 turn of play in the steering wheel, missing 3rd and 5th gear.

the list of my horrid shitboxes goes on, but i will say: i have only had ONE inspection sticker violation issued to me in the last 15 years...
it's not about how safe your car isn't, it's about having good friends

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Flew to Pittsburgh early this morning to pick this beauty up. 2018 Jag XF S Sportbrake. AWD Supercharged 3L V6. Road tripping it back to Austin over the weekend, this thing eats miles. I was worried about it being hungry, but the 300ish miles I did today I averaged 30mpg. Almost as good at the GTI it's replacing.

Super comfortable, very quiet, seats fit my fat rear end, yeah I love this car. I didn't feel tired climbing out of it this evening. Suspension is surprisingly comfortable, and I was able to wring it up on a desolate stretch of highway and hear the whine. Honestly only downside is the awful exhaust it's got on it hiding the whine at low speeds. I'll need to switch it out at some point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

drat! Thanks for the offer, 4x110 is hard enough to find as it is let alone a nice set that was OEM, but I'm all the way in Ontario, Canada and I'm betting that the shipping would indeed be totally out to lunch. Not sure if you'd like to price it out but yeah theres probably someone closer that would be able to take them for a more sane price.

Offer is open to anyone. I don’t need two sets of 13” wheels :)
I’ll see if I can dig them out soon and get a weight and size, just for snorts and giggles. I thing the set without tires is stashed inside my parts car.

heated game moment posted:

I haven't tried to clean it up yet but there are no tears, rips, major scuffs etc from what I've seen. It certainly has the 'weathered' look in areas which I guess is intentional. From the manual:

TEHAMA™ Leather
The leather surface on the seat was not designed to be aggressively cleaned using any commercial product. Use a well wrung cloth dampened with water to remove
dust. Do not use a wet cloth or saturated the leather surface with water. Allow the leather to dry naturally. If a soil occurs that cannot be completely removed, allow it to
become part of the natural markings of the leather. The leather is designed to have a natural appearance and develop a more vintage appearance with use. Do not use heat to dry. Never use steam to clean leather. Never use spot lifters or spot removers on leather. It is very important not to use any commercial leather cleaners and coatings that are sold to preserve and protect leather. Not only are those products not necessary, they will permanently and adversely change the appearance and feel of the leather.
Never use silicone or wax-based products, or those containing organic solvents to clean the interior. Never use shoe polish on leather.

I'm glad you asked so I could look this up instead of doing something stupid. Besides a good detail the only things I need to do in the short-term is to replace the rear door handles which are starting to pull apart from the doors and upgrade/replace the head unit because the screen is going out. Apparently the door handles are wear items on all their trucks from this generation because GM used a cheap plastic nut to hold them together.

I wonder how they feel about mink oil, my go-to for re-hydrating leather?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mustache Ride posted:

Flew to Pittsburgh early this morning to pick this beauty up. 2018 Jag XF S Sportbrake. AWD Supercharged 3L V6. Road tripping it back to Austin over the weekend, this thing eats miles. I was worried about it being hungry, but the 300ish miles I did today I averaged 30mpg. Almost as good at the GTI it's replacing.

Super comfortable, very quiet, seats fit my fat rear end, yeah I love this car. I didn't feel tired climbing out of it this evening. Suspension is surprisingly comfortable, and I was able to wring it up on a desolate stretch of highway and hear the whine. Honestly only downside is the awful exhaust it's got on it hiding the whine at low speeds. I'll need to switch it out at some point.

I had no idea there was a shooting brake version. Dang, now I have something else to look out for in case I come into some sudden cash.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah they only imported it to the US from 18-20. I haven't seen anything on the market except 18s, and even the ones I saw were all black "First Edition" ones. It's a looker, I was getting waves and :staredog: on the highway today.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
And yet the dumb manufacturers keep making only crappy SUVs that are essentially the same thing but taller and uglier with less interior space. I saw a pretty nice lowered Lamborghini SUV the other day, but only appreciated it as a vehicle because it resembled a very lightly raised wagon.

Nice looking car, should be fun to drive.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Did you also get fed up of people trying to race you in your Hellcat? That, seeing them everywhere and the interior not really standing up well we’re the reasons I chopped my Scat Pack in.

Yes. But I also have a Demon and it is just as bad. I don’t take that beast out as much.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

loving hell

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Mustache Ride posted:

Flew to Pittsburgh]

Nice ride! I had no idea these existed. Now I’m looking at Autotrader. How errr “reliable” is the drivetrain? It looks like a derivative of a Ford Duratech? How big is it compared to a 5 series or E class? Enjoy!

I did a similar fly and drive to buy my M3, I was living in Pittsburgh at the time and flew down to San Antonio.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's the same Aluminum V6 that's in the F-Type, XJ and XE. Seems to be a derivative of the Ford AJ-V8 that Jag has been using since 2000.

It's slightly smaller the E class wagon, but the same interior space. It's also cheaper..

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 24, 2021

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Living my best car brochure life.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Awesome. Gotta get someone to photoshop out the fuel truck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Now you just need a boat for a holy AI trifecta. Or a train maybe

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wzm posted:

Living my best car brochure life.

Shame about the Cessnajunk and cardboard box in the shot.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Charles posted:

Now you just need a boat for a holy AI trifecta. Or a train maybe

I don't have photoshop or skills, but someone needs to turn that fuel truck into a locomotive.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Nice truck bro, what'd they do to the chassis and suspension?

Teamed up with “Fox” and added dual steering stabilizers, adjustable front coilovers, race adjustable shocks, BDS lift system, custom front radius arms and riding on 37” tires.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mustache Ride posted:

Man what? This is righteous as all hell, gently caress. Supremely envious.

In another timeline we would end up keeping this, but circumstances being what they are means there is no place for it. 1992 Toyota Cresta Tourer V, completely stock 1JZ-GTE RWD 5 speed manual bruiser that Toyota made once upon a time. Remarkably great shape for 29 years old, and it being unmodified is really hard to find. Not even a shift knob or exhaust or intake, it's alllll as it left Toyota's factory. Much like the rad as poo poo Jag Wagon, Toyota did everything it could to hide the fact that this is a 300+ hp* monster that looks like a fancy Camry. Look at the exhaust system they put on it to quiet down 1JZ!

*Listed HP numbers say 276, but every high-powered car for a long time was listed as 276 regardless of the actual numbers because Japanese auto manufacturers didn't want to get Japan's attention and have laws put in place limiting their vehicles. So they all agreed to say the most power their vehicles ever had was 276 hp. This Cresta being early means it's probably just over 300 hp, later ones went much further past that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mustache Ride posted:

This is awesome, great find and I'll echo the "had no idea that existed and now I'll have to keep an eye out for them" crowd.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I found this very apt meme

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mustache Ride posted:

Definitely didn't know this car existed, or at least in the US.

Definitely going to point it out to my wife if I ever see your car around Austin.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mustache Ride posted:

It's funny, I remember seeing/reading about these at one point then forgot they existed just like everyone else. Then this weekend while out for a drive I saw one. That's a good looking car in person as well.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
It's funny because as someone semi-shopping for a Jag recently, it's annoying for me (in the UK) how many of the XFs are estate/wagons. They're fairly popular here.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

AirRaid posted:

It's funny because as someone semi-shopping for a Jag recently, it's annoying for me (in the UK) how many of the XFs are estate/wagons. They're fairly popular here.

It's because wagons own my friend. Look at all this poo poo I can fit in my van disguised as a car!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Theophany posted:

It's because wagons own my friend. Look at all this poo poo I can fit in my van disguised as a car!

I have nothing against wagons, I just personally don’t need that much space. For me Wagons are the realm of people with poo poo To Movetm or people with more dogs than sense. Neither of which are me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AirRaid posted:

I have nothing against wagons, I just personally don’t need that much space. For me Wagons are the realm of people with poo poo To Movetm or people with more dogs than sense. Neither of which are me.

Is the wagon bigger than the sedan? I'm asking honestly because if the wheelbase is the same then why not wagon all the time?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mustache Ride posted:

How have you found the infotainment? That's been a big complaint I've seen for recent Jags, although it was supposedly worse pre-2016. Even the most sympathetic British journalists seem to take issue with how JLR implements it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Is the wagon bigger than the sedan? I'm asking honestly because if the wheelbase is the same then why not wagon all the time?

The wagon - is bigger than the sedan - yes.

That extra length probably makes it so unweidly you can barely manoeuvre it.

Eric Cantonese posted:

How have you found the infotainment? That's been a big complaint I've seen for recent Jags, although it was supposedly worse pre-2016. Even the most sympathetic British journalists seem to take issue with how JLR implements it.

I had a 2010 XF and the Infotainment was... fine? I guess I didn't use it much, I put a USB thing in there and left it on AUX indefinitely. I remember liking the sat nav system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's crazy that they changed it into a wagon and it only ended up 1mm longer.