Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
currently watching USA vs. SWE right now. the American, a lefty paddler named Kumar, is getting loving smoked bigtime by the Swede named Kallberg, and i'm starting to get insanely loving pissed off about it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
update: Kallberg was unstoppable

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

These Chinese outfits with the gold lettering and PURPLE DRAGONS are awesome

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I dunno who the guy is commentating but he seems like a huge nerd and I'm enjoying it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Not sure if its live or on delay but Japan might be about to take out China in the mixed doubles final

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Looks like they did it. Know gently caress all about table tennis but from what I can gather that was a bit of an upset?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kuno posted:

Looks like they did it. Know gently caress all about table tennis but from what I can gather that was a bit of an upset?

China basically win everything all the time. The last set was really exciting, Japan stormed ahead to 8-0 but China pulled it back to 9-5 before the end

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah, China pretty much owns the sport. Before today, only three countries had ever won a gold medal in Olympic table tennis - Sweden (one gold - Jan-Ove Waldner, of course), South Korea (3 golds) and China (literally every other gold medal - 28 of them). It's pretty huge. Back when I lived in Bejing (over a decade ago), if people knew anything about Sweden at all (and wasn't confusing it with Switzerland), it was that Jan-Ove Waldner was from here.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 26, 2021

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Forresr gunp

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

omg that finale was intense

congrats to ito and mizutani. this might be japans year!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

here's hoping for a men's finale with timo boll in it. isn't this like his fourth olympics?

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
His sixth. The old man :D
He got an unlucky draw though, will probably face WR #1 FAN Zhendong in the quarter final...

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
Regarding Japans chances, I agree they're intact. CHN remains favourites of course. But Mima ITO has proven that she has the abilities to beat the top 3 (what was this absolutely insane world cup 2 years ago), and if you want intensity look for a match of Tomokazu HARIMOTO (turn the volume down :aaaaa:)

EG here: https://worldtabletennis.com/results

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Shame that xu xin lost in the mixed doubles, dude is very entertaining to watch as one of the few pen holders at the high levels.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

harimotos shouting is extremely annoying

he and what's his name on the german team, sounds like he's jacking up a car with a bicycle pump

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

anyone watching this Korea/Greece match? it's intense as hell

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The amped commentator us back and is educating us about this man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_Long

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

he's been singing a song every time someone comes out to wipe the sweat off the table.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://www.wric.com/sports/table-tennis-commentator-brings-excitement-to-olympic-games/

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

Tankakern posted:

harimotos shouting is extremely annoying

he and what's his name on the german team, sounds like he's jacking up a car with a bicycle pump

His name is Dimitri Ovtcharov, which in the language of our people means "the essence of pure will condensed into the body of one man". Also he's playing right now.

(Note how I didn't say you were wrong with the 'annoying' bit)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the Japanese commentators aren't ever bothering with using the name 'Chinese Taipei,' I noticed it last night in the medal awarding for the mixed doubles.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

both niwa and harimoto is out, the same with boll -_- never change, i guess

ovtcharov is still there though since he beat niwa, would be fun if he got to the semis

is there any europeans left besides him? saw that gauzy match against long, he was lucky to get one set

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
Field is actually quite diverse atm, 2-2-2-2 between China, other Asia, Europe, other.
Omar ASSAR (EGY) surprised me the most, beating Falck and Chuang. And wow, Jorgic (SLO) winning against Harimoto, how did that happen? Just endless backhands or what :f5:
Did anyone see that one, sadly I cannot watch much, stupid time zones.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cool

i should watch a replay of that harimoto game

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Semis are on, I watched this Korean in matches yesterday and by God does she love hooting and hollering

Little less prevalent tonight as Japan is demolishing right now

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 28, 2021

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the semis are gonna be exciting

hope lin and/or ovtcharov makes an upset

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
Go silent assassin, go :D
How does Lin perform vs FZD? Ovtcharov has the worst track record against Ma Long, never beaten him iirc.
At least I can watch a bit of the first match tomorrow.

Also Mima Ito's match should be great, probably bigger chance for an upset even. Or would you argue its not an upset anymore :)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tankakern posted:

the semis are gonna be exciting

hope lin and/or ovtcharov makes an upset

Fan wins, 4-3. Really close games.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ovtcharov is making him fight for it, at least

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why do players stare at their ball from one inch in front of their faces before serving? Are they whispering sweet nothings?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god BBC have managed to get the women's final with the NBC commentator :allears:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The mens final is LIVE

The World #1 vs The Greatest of All Time

Little Fatty vs The Dictator

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
Ha! Got the bronze :D

Mental Barbarian 69 - 68 Silent Assassin

Although from a spectacle angle this match was not so high. Dima took out the speed a lot, especially by his serves. And you could see the nerves overwhelming Lin, four match points wasted when he had the upper hand. So he was in a mental hole when the decider started. 3:9, nothing to lose, hitting them again. 7:9, omg I have a chance, arm getting tense, mistakes. Every TT player been there, we understand :unsmith:

Im torn between 'just give them two bronzes' and 'epic bronze fight'.

Now to watch the final.

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

Lid posted:

Little Fatty vs The Dictator

And the dictator... dictated. Bobrows words not mine
Little Fatty 51:57 The Dictator

Crazy how they can up the speed so much. And it still looks normal. In this world class frame of reference.

Looking forward to the teams competition, starting Sunday. GER - TPE might again be happening for medals, lets see? Im hype :hehe:

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
Team competitions starting soon, here are the draws:

Women

China
Austria

France
Singapore

Korea Republic
Poland

Australia
Germany

Hong Kong
Brazil

Egypt
Romania

Taiwan (#1)
USA

Hungary
Japan

Men

China
Egypt

Hong Kong
France

Brazil
Serbia

Slovenia
Korea Republic

Japan
Australia

USA
Sweden

Taiwan
Croatia

Portugal
Germany

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the commentator is on table 4 fyi

question from someone who doesn't know anything about table tennis: why do they serve the way do? it almost looks like they serve it with their forehead

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

oh poo poo he just said "taiwan" rip the enthusiastic commentator

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Badger of Basra posted:

the commentator is on table 4 fyi

question from someone who doesn't know anything about table tennis: why do they serve the way do? it almost looks like they serve it with their forehead

looks cooler that way

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
nah of course the answer is cheating. Obscuring the point of contact (paddle/ball) is disallowed. And for a good reason. If you (receiver) cant see the exact paddle movement at the point of contact, the return turns into a guessing game. Serving these is an art of itself, but doesn't make a tasty sport to watch. So its disallowed and I agree thats a good rule to adopt.
Now you (server) cant obscure the contact by hand/arm like before. What is the coping strategy? Obscuring by head/shoulder is as effective, but way harder to detect by the umpires.

So many discussions and bad blood over this (on amateur level Im talking here). One of the reasons I stopped playing. But lets concentrate on positive things. Teams competitions are under way. No surprises yet, whats up Hugo CALDERANO (BRA) you struggle so hard against 2 outsiders?
Apart from that, favourites win. Tomorrow is gonna be really tense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

If the commentator is Adam bobrow; he has a very fun YouTube channel that, at least before the pandemic, serves as a mix of travel vlog and a dive into the table tennis world. He usually finds the local spots and will spend what looks like most of a day playing anyone who wants to play him.

He seems like a genuinely cool eccentric dude, and has made friends in just about every country. It’s a fun watch.