Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Veryslightlymad posted:

The original version The Enforcers is my favorite "mysterious bad guy" theme of all time. It absolutely oozes with danger and cold, deadly menace; confidently beyond the listener's power.

:yeah:

I wouldn't put any of the Falcom games I've played in my top 10 game soundtracks, but every one of them has managed at least a couple of fantastic songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Cold Steel I'll grant (though it does have some standout boss themes), but the Sky trilogy and Crossbell games have brilliant soundtracks.

Go With Good Cheer, Silver Will, Whereabouts of Light, The Enforcers, The Fate of the Fairies, Fateful Confrontation, Liber-Ark, Zeiss...basically every track from Sky 3rd

On the Green Road, Lemonade in Hand, Crossing the Steel Bridge, Get Over the Barrier, Inevitable Struggle, Unfathomed Force, The Azure Arbitrator, the Geofront....basically 80% of Crossbell is insanely good music

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I dunno man, stuff like Valestein Castle, Azure Arbitrator, Release of the Far West Ocean, the Ys 2 opening, Seeking The Vanished Mask, Sunshine Coastline, Inevitable Struggle, those are all lodged in my head.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

One of the things everyone always agreed was how their soundtracks were bangers.

RIP Falcom

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Falcom still has Sonoda (I like more of his tracks than Unisuga's), and Singa can put out good tracks. The problem with Singa is that he isn't being used to his strengths, and he's being paid by how many tracks he puts out. If I was incentivized to place quantity over quality my stuff would become less and less good too. The one weak link is Jindo, as I think a lot of his stuff is "over-orchestrated" and sounds really noisy, to the point I turn my volume down.

Kato could also try to make amends and try to get Falcom's blacklist from the Japanese music industry removed. Even if that fails, Falcom could still try to find talent overseas. IIRC one of the Geofront music folks submitted some of their own works to Falcom as a part of an application as a composer.

Another problem doesn't have to do with the composers themselves, but whoever determines how the music is used in the game. In CS4 and Hajimari you have really inappropriate use of music, with some vocal songs that sound like love songs being used in scenes that aren't supposed to be romantic, killing the mood. Or you have a battle music track that plays on loop for over an hour.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I wonder what 'makes' the Falcom Sound. Is it the guitars? The synth? The orchestral bits?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think that's exactly how I built her.

Petrify is so good. I also made that the keystone of Estelle, because as the series goes on, the range on her Hurricane gets pretty nuts. You can get a ton of mileage out of putting a good status on Olivier, since he can put his AoE craft wherever he wants it, even centered on himself, and just nuke an entire random encounter. In Sky 1, you can go a step further and make him into a weirdly good lead-off attacker, but this stops being viable at about halfway through Sky 2 because his STR growth won't keep up with enemy defense after a point.

Yeah I didn't gently caress around with status orbments much but now I think I will. Estelle's flexible enough that I usually build her as a healer or a mage depending on the current party comp, but her autos are naturally strong enough to hit real hard even without atk orbments. Should see if i can fit a status on her without ruining my setup.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

One of the things everyone always agreed was how their soundtracks were bangers.

RIP Falcom

They still are, op

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Man the Cold Steel games had loving banger OSTs, especially for some of the dungeons. Spiral of Erebos, Phantasmal Castle, To the Future, all spectacular finale songs. Decisive Collision is also one of the best boss themes of the last decade and so is Unfathomed Force, which makes it even worse that Arianrhod not only gets ruined by CS4, the song doesn't even play for her fights.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Can't forget To a Glimmering Tomorrow, the best final boss music ever.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Rock in the Road, Crossing the Iron Bridge, Tower of Four Winds, Visions, Hamel, Liber Ark, Continuation of the Dream. Don't need to dip into battle themes to find great tracks at all.

Falcom music owns.

E: Actually though, I will grant, i always did find it weird individual artists aren't credited and I think that should change.

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 24, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I was watching a YouTube video for help with a Genshin Impact boss, and the person used Blue Destination for the music. Made me happy.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Started the final chapter of Sky FC. Goodbye, my little gun baby. Too cool to stay in my party for long.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Started CS3 and I didn't realise how much I missed these characters. Not even just the main party, I was really happy to see Patrick make an early appearance. It's a good feeling to be back in Erebonia.

Interested in the new cast too, they make a solid first impression. CS1's my favourite Trails game and this is already going hard on the callbacks so even though I only played it a year ago it feels a bit nostalgic. I'm hoping this carries a lot of the same charm from the first game because CS2 struggled a bit, though it's had a good start so far.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Started CS3 and I didn't realise how much I missed these characters. Not even just the main party, I was really happy to see Patrick make an early appearance. It's a good feeling to be back in Erebonia.

Interested in the new cast too, they make a solid first impression. CS1's my favourite Trails game and this is already going hard on the callbacks so even though I only played it a year ago it feels a bit nostalgic. I'm hoping this carries a lot of the same charm from the first game because CS2 struggled a bit, though it's had a good start so far.

I’m just about to finish CS2 myself, and I had a blast throughout the whole thing.

And I’m going to go back to the Sky games to prepare for CS3, so reading all of this is heartening

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

100%ed YS IX, i'd say it's the weakest of the SEVEN-style games and feels kinda aimless overall, but it's still a good game.

Still can't really get past the plot-crater of [big-ol-honkin-major-spoiler]why was Adol 1 in a jail cell to begin with and not in a big old Science Tube like the rest of the originals, actually the fact they take from his memories implies that they were actively moving him in and out of that lab, why.

On a less-serious note, lol why was dark fact in the god-friends club. did we bond at some point or

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The castaway village theme was pretty grating as they'd play the serious music on a loop whenever there's a raid on.

In the endgame there's a raid that's split into 6 parts and lasts a total of 36 rounds. I never bothered with it so the annoying music never halted.

Ys IX had none of the pacing problems of VIII, and never ruined the good vibes of the home base.

The serious music stays even if you finish that raid, mostly due to the circumstances the dinosaurs will never actually stop coming until you stop the lacramosa somehow, it's mostly just a bonus endgame thing for if you like raid fights or are a psycho completionist like me.

e: also then I played oath of felghana on hard, and have learned that that game did not magically become not hard as balls in the 4 years since I last played it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 25, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxi6KY3EJG4

E: holy poo poo i shared this before i was even close to finishing it and drat, let me tell you: this video has an incredible twist halfway through

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 25, 2021

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I finished Trails of Cold Steel 2

I teared up when Millium started crying for the first time, and everyone started crying with her

I think Cold Steel 1 and 2 are up there on my all time favorite games :unsmith:

Time to play the Sky trilogy so I can be ready for Cold Steel 3 and 4

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

SgtSteel91 posted:

I finished Trails of Cold Steel 2

I teared up when Millium started crying for the first time, and everyone started crying with her

I think Cold Steel 1 and 2 are up there on my all time favorite games :unsmith:

Time to play the Sky trilogy so I can be ready for Cold Steel 3 and 4

The final boss music perfectly capturing how not only every member of the cast feels, but also you feel knowing this is the final hurrah with these dudes cement that as the best scene in the series forever.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

The final boss music perfectly capturing how not only every member of the cast feels, but also you feel knowing this is the final hurrah with these dudes cement that as the best scene in the series forever.

Yeah, also helps that I made everyone so OP and had Crow there as well with the Phantasmal Mirror, the final boss rolled over.

I felt like it was the cumulation of the hardships everyone overcame that year and made them so much stronger for it

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It’s good to see people playing Sky even after playing the Cold Steel games, FC feels kind of like a rough draft but they’re all truly great.

Here are the voices for FC, just unzip and put them in your game’s steam folder, adds a lot of spunk to the game, especially Estelle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByRG0bGlT6w_aXdiejZMUmxMSGM/view?usp=drivesdk&resourcekey=0-VXrw4D4f7ckGLcNgiwr3ng

infraboy fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 26, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
VSM, you fool. Your theory about Andre being the fourth anguis/Thousand Oathbreaker has a serious hole in your reasoning. Namely Sharon. You have Sharon in your party in CS2. You can have Sharon in your party and you can talk to Andre. Thousand Oathbreaker was her superior before either of them even joined Ouroboros. If they were indeed the same person, doesn't it stand to reason that she would have some sort of reaction to his presence?

One would think she would involuntarily react the instant that she noticed him.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

VSM, you fool. Your theory about Andre being the fourth anguis/Thousand Oathbreaker has a serious hole in your reasoning. Namely Sharon. You have Sharon in your party in CS2. You can have Sharon in your party and you can talk to Andre. Thousand Oathbreaker was her superior before either of them even joined Ouroboros. If they were indeed the same person, doesn't it stand to reason that she would have some sort of reaction to his presence?

Holy poo poo

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
While that would be interesting, there are other Ouroboros agents in Bareahard at that time.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Amazing

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

infraboy posted:

It’s good to see people playing Sky even after playing the Cold Steel games, FC feels kind of like a rough draft but they’re all truly great.

I recently tried getting into FC, and I just couldn't the same way I did with the Cold Steel series. FC definitely does feel more rough, and the battles and pacing just seemed way too slow for me. Aside from CS, is the rest of the LoH series the same as FC? I would love to play more, but if it's just more of the same then I might just wait until Reverie. I don't mind the grid-style turn-based combat, but maybe if it was tuned a bit more and controls were better.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The five games of Sky and Crossbell largely all play the same, it's just balance changes here and there that change how you engage in most battles and thus how that might effect the pacing. One game you will go from using primarily Arts like Sky FC to Crafts and physical attacks in Sky SC. It was only until Azure that you started to get Master Quartz and the Burst system (both of which came into Cold Steel with the latter becoming Overdrive).

I personally think Sky FC is just kind of a maudlin experience in general closer to a Zweii or Gurumin by design, and by the time they got to Sky SC there was enough of an increased emphasis on battle pace and Crafts (as well as general changes in focus/tone in the story to actually propel you forward) that it may (or may not!) be what gets you over the hump.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Death Priest posted:

While that would be interesting, there are other Ouroboros agents in Bareahard at that time.

Yeah but Sharon's never had that sort of reaction before.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's a bit before you meet McBurn and Duvalie, right? I could see either of them getting that reaction, the former in particular.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm nearly finished with Sky FC as my very first Trails game, just started the very final dungeon. Will be honest, I've had a lot of fun with this party of pals. Setting up orbment combos has been surprisingly fun, and I've found the combat to be decently interesting, although I think I'm severely overlevelled. I do know what happens at the end of FC thanks to reading the LPs ages ago, but it's been so long that I've forgotten all the details except for the really really big plot points so it's not been an issue. Also, music slaps.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno how anyone could complain about the pace of the first 5 games. Yeah they're long, but you're permenantly running them in turbomode, right? Meanwhile, all the voiced cutscenes in CS make you watch at normal speed, which to me really slows down the pacing, especially when there's 30 different characters in the scene.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
FC has turbomode?!?!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BisterdDave posted:

FC has turbomode?!?!

Yep, it's been a lifesaver.

One annoying thing I have learnt about the final FC dungeon is that it has 4 sets of ultimate armour but 2 are male-locked and the other 2 are female-locked. My final party is Estelle, Joshua, Khloe and Tita :v:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Justin_Brett posted:

That's a bit before you meet McBurn and Duvalie, right? I could see either of them getting that reaction, the former in particular.

Well, specifically the former. The party already has a chance to talk to Duvalie earlier on and Sharon's reaction is a brief moment of surprise followed by an amused smile. Because nobody in Ouroboros ever takes Duvalie seriously.

BisterdDave posted:

FC has turbomode?!?!

Yes, but only if you play the PC version. By the time it was patched into the Sky games, the PSP was dead and updates weren't possible for that one anymore.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 26, 2021

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Erpy posted:

Yes, but only if you play the PC version. By the time it was patched into the Sky games, the PSP was dead and updates weren't possible for that one anymore.

Ahh, ok that explains why I never saw the option.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ngl FC's final dungeon kinda sucks except for the music

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BisterdDave posted:

Ahh, ok that explains why I never saw the option.

Yeah, between the outdated translation, absence of Turbo mode, lack of auto-saves, lower-res portraits, disk swapping in SC and lack of a localized PSP version of the third game, it's really hard to recommend the PSP versions of the Sky arc.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Death Priest posted:

Not on that screen.

And she's reacting to someone closer.... Think about where McBurn is standing and talking to her in that scene--- she doesn't realize he's there until he's much closer. And she's taken aback there, too. "Oh dear..."
She doesn't notice the two spying on her in the airport, even though McBurn has line of sight.

She's reacting to something close. She can see Andre through the fence, (shown in video) might be able to hear his fiddle, and McBurn isn't on this screen. Why would she sense him here and not when he's right on top of her.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 26, 2021

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Not on that screen.

And she's reacting to someone closer.... Think about where McBurn is standing and talking to her in that scene--- she doesn't realize he's there until he's much closer. And she's talen aback there, too. "Oh dear..."
She doesn't notice the two spying on her in the airport, even though McBurn has line of sight.

She's reacting to something close. She can see Andre through the fence, (shown in video) might be able to hear his fiddle, and McBurn isn't on this screen. Why would she sense him here and not when he's right on top of her.

CS2

She's most likely sensing Duvalie shadowing class 7 in the city. Mc Burn is probably not even close at this point since the dialogue at the airport suggests that he was not actually helping Duvalie (even though he was supposed to) and just decided to drop in at that very moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Yes because potential of fighting jaegers and robots has everything to do with music.... :monocle: