Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MacheteZombie posted:

Just rent the theater out with some buddies. Easy peasy

In serious I was planning to see this in theaters but I'm concerned about the vaxx effectiveness lasting against delta now that Israel dropped that new study that shows a huge drop

That study is statistically crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is good to hear.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That may be, (tho it seems to be making an impression on a number of physicians on Twitter) but I got a breakthrough case from a 30 minute bus ride which is less time than a 2+ hour movie so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Ah, but did you sit without rhythm.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Pascallion posted:

Ah, but did you sit without rhythm.

I love little moments in life when two random things collide with relation, like when the walk without rhythm line in fatboy slim's song weapon of choice slammed into my brain while reading dune for the first time last year.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
I read Dune probably 8 years before I heard weapon of choice. Then it was probably another 8 before I made the connection.

And another 8 until I realized what MST3K’s “we’ve got movie sign” is a reference to…

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

I love little moments in life when two random things collide with relation, like when the walk without rhythm line in fatboy slim's song weapon of choice slammed into my brain while reading dune for the first time last year.

Well now I want Christopher Walken (specifically the magic floating dancer Walken) from the Weapon of Choice music video as Duke Leto.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Walken without rhythm

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Pascallion posted:

And another 8 until I realized what MST3K’s “we’ve got movie sign” is a reference to…

OMG I didn't have the slightest clue that it might be a reference to "worm sign" and I started watching that show when Comedy Central was The Comedy Channel

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/maxgladstone/status/1420486909705457665

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
yeah like we’re gonna take any advice from a face dancer

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Jason momoa does seem like someone who could plausibly make a woman orgasm just from climbing a wall real good.

You tell me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_tM1ZvXxU&t=78s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDSYLb9uKg&t=50s

stratdax fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 29, 2021

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

bawfuls posted:

notoriously difficult book

I read Dune when i was 12 and it's seriously not a difficult book at all.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is notoriously difficult to start/get into because of the way he throws you into the jargon and the world. Obviously hasn’t stopped millions from reading it but it is nonetheless

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
It is a book that you can read on different levels, like LoTR. Skimmable to get the main story and action, or you can take your time and deep dive into each and every facet of the Bombadil.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also read it at 12 and I had an easier time getting into it than LotR just because the language is more modern. Helps to have supporting knowledge from the games and the Lynch movie I suppose, but I don't think it's that bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Many editions of it even have a glossary in the back in case your mind is too blown away by concepts an item called a chrysknife being a knife that is special or whatever. The presentation of the Lynch movie and the mini-series are debatable but the book isn't a difficult read at all.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The glossary is good and helpful, are you seriously ragging on the glossary?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

The glossary is good and helpful, are you seriously ragging on the glossary?

Absolutely not, it owns hard, just that I think the overall difficulty of the book is exaggerated a lot.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There was a discussion either in this thread or the GBS thread earlier this week where people were asking for clarification on why the Atreides were going to Arrakis, why the Harkonnens were willingly “leaving”, what Shaddam’s actual plan was etc. The set up for the novel is convoluted and difficult enough (apparently) for the nerds in these threads to grasp.

I love the books but I’m not afraid to admit that I sometimes don’t have a good idea of what the actual plot is in a given moment (Children, in particular, was pretty confusing for me by the final act)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean the Emperor just wanted to get rid of Leto. There are many outlandish concepts going on but it's all just feudal dickwaving. Game of Thrones is arguably more convoluted, and, incidentally, both stories basically start almost the exact same way.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 30, 2021

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I've used many aspects of Game of Thrones to explain Dune to people. It's efficient; they're insanely similar stories.

"The Harkonnens are like if the Lannisters and the Boltons were the same guys."
"Mentats and Suk doctors are basically Maesters who serve specific Houses."
"Leto is Ned Stark. Paul is basically if Robb, Jon, and Bran all merged into one character."
"The Fremen are like desert wildlings. Chani is Ygritte."
"Beast Rabban is The Mountain. Feyd is Ramsay. Piter is Qyburn. The Baron is like if Tywin was also Jabba the Hutt."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

drat, sounds like Frank Herbert is a total hack who ripped off GRRM

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean the Emperor just wanted to get rid of Leto.

The odd part is that the Harkonens footed the bill for the party, to the tune of 60 years of spice production to pay for it.

Martman posted:

drat, sounds like Frank Herbert is a total hack who ripped off GRRM

Frank Herbert Absolute Fucker?

Ending of the movie Dune sucked also. :thunk:

Shae = Space Pussy Magic?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 30, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hasselblad posted:

The odd part is that the Harkonens footed the bill for the party, to the tune of 60 years of spice production to pay for it.

Long game. The Baron is setting up his nephew to be the next Baron and doesn't really intend to honour the deal.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Long game. The Baron is setting up his nephew to be the next Baron and doesn't really intend to honour the deal.

Yeah, but the money was to pay the guild.
And you don't gently caress the guild.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Hasselblad posted:

Yeah, but the money was to pay the guild.
And you don't gently caress the guild.

The Baron was all like "He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" I think he had a notion of how much the Empire and the Guild depended on spice production and having control over spice could give him leverage over the Emperor and the Spacing Guild. Just that Paul took it to the ultimate conclusion with his threat of the Water of Death to the Guild at the end of the book.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

One gets the impression that as devious as he was, the Baron was a tool and only so useful.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Automatic Slim posted:

One gets the impression that as devious as he was, the Baron was a tool and only so useful.

Of course he was, in multiple ways, in fact. After all he was Paul's grandfather (thus providing part of the genetic bloodline for the Bene Gesserit to get their Kwisatz Haderach) and the long standing feud between the Atreides and the Harkonnens was the perfect cover for the Emperor to get rid of Duke Leto. The Emperor would have eventually had to get rid of him (or his heir), just like he got rid of Leto, since the Baron had eyes for the Imperial Throne.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Alchenar posted:

The Baron also absolutely hates the Atreides with every ounce of his being and sees this as his great opportunity to debase and destroy them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DarkSol posted:

Of course he was, in multiple ways, in fact. After all he was Paul's grandfather (thus providing part of the genetic bloodline for the Bene Gesserit to get their Kwisatz Haderach) and the long standing feud between the Atreides and the Harkonnens was the perfect cover for the Emperor to get rid of Duke Leto. The Emperor would have eventually had to get rid of him (or his heir), just like he got rid of Leto, since the Baron had eyes for the Imperial Throne.

The last part about the Baron having eyes for the throne himself. I love the party/arena fight scene in the book so much for how much you get out of that character's thinking and how at first his plan was [very long term to groom Feyd to maybe potentially get him or a descendent of his on the throne but as the scene is playing out he's like, wait, holy poo poo it could actually happen in my life time with me at the top? I love the line in his monologue of him standing atop a mountain promethian exclaiming "I AM WRONGED!" and rallying the other houses under him. I know it's all internal monologue stuff but I would love to see a bombastic Baron actor delivering all of that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

bombastic Baron actor

Is there any other kind?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

DarkSol posted:

The Baron was all like "He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" I think he had a notion of how much the Empire and the Guild depended on spice production and having control over spice could give him leverage over

With virtually everything non-spice on the planet imported from other planets, the guild could have simply let every person on Arrakis starve to death, and the other great houses would have simply laughed at the baron. Simply living on Arrakis does not magically imbue one with "control". The only way to control it would be to have the power to kill the source.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Hasselblad posted:

With virtually everything non-spice on the planet imported from other planets, the guild could have simply let every person on Arrakis starve to death, and the other great houses would have simply laughed at the baron. Simply living on Arrakis does not magically imbue one with "control". The only way to control it would be to have the power to kill the source.

He who can destroy a thing, can control a thing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hasselblad posted:

This strikes me as possibly part of Liet and the Guild's longterm plans before Paul's arrival. Recall that the Fremen spice smugglers are giving Spice directly to the Guild in exchange for helping keep the ecological projects in the deep desert hidden from outside observers. The Fremen are already mostly self-sufficient and the ecological projects are only making them more so.

Together, they could cut out the Great Houses completely, and the Emperor wouldn't be able to send in his Sardaukar to reclaim the planet if the Guild wasn't willing to transport them.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Xealot posted:

I've used many aspects of Game of Thrones to explain Dune to people. It's efficient; they're insanely similar stories.

"The Harkonnens are like if the Lannisters and the Boltons were the same guys."
"Mentats and Suk doctors are basically Maesters who serve specific Houses."
"Leto is Ned Stark. Paul is basically if Robb, Jon, and Bran all merged into one character."
"The Fremen are like desert wildlings. Chani is Ygritte."
"Beast Rabban is The Mountain. Feyd is Ramsay. Piter is Qyburn. The Baron is like if Tywin was also Jabba the Hutt."

Weapons-grade cursed

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Hasselblad posted:

You really like the word simply, huh

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Following Saint Alia, simply.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On one level the story of Dune is the story of a shadow power struggle between the Guild and the Bene Gesserit that gets way out of hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

GlassEye-Boy posted:

He who can destroy a thing, can control a thing.

Baron had no way of destroying spice production.

Crespolini posted:

You really like the word simply, huh

Who simply doesn't?