Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

curiousCat posted:

??????????????????????????

Had big enough frost orbs that I was guaranteed to take no more damage as long as I kept them, so I exhausted my Chaos+ and just killed it with my crappy little attacks. Recycle let me exhaust down to 6 cards, which sped it up. Yes, that's right. It could have been slower. There was probably a faster way to win safely, but I knew with 100% certainty that I would take no additional damage this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finally reached Ascension 10 on Watcher. This was a fun run and I basically took no damage from Act 3 all the way until I miscalculated the order I needed to survive a Heart turn.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Lesson Learned is so much fun, and so is double Omniscience.

How'd you like the Snecko start?

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I dropped down to A1 some days ago to make some attempts at killing the Corrupt Heart. Today I got my first victory, with the Silent. :toot: I ended up with a pretty good poison-focused deck, although I never did find a Catalyst. Here's the details:

I asked Neow for a common relic and got Ceramic Fish. If you have to get Ceramic Fish, I suppose that is the best possible time for it. The Act 1 chest contained Juzu Bracelet, and I decided to pick up the key there and hope for better relics in Act 2 and 3. The chest in Act 2 had a Bag of Marbles, very useful, and the one in Act 3 had... Maw Bank. :thumbsup: There was a shop two floors up, so 24 gold was all I got out of that.

The Act 1 boss gave me a choice between Wrist Blade, Sacred Bark and Coffee Dripper. Wrist Blade was useless as I didn't have any zero-cost attacks other than Neutralize, and I didn't feel like playing around with Sacred Bark, so I took Coffee Dripper almost by default. It was interesting how that really pushed me towards picking and upgrading defensive cards -- Leg Sweep and Blur were particularly useful, and Piercing Wail saved me from some nasty multi-hit attacks a few times (including once against the Heart). The Act 2 boss offered me Pandora's Box, Runic Dome or Busted Crown. At that point my deck was functioning pretty well, so Busted Crown felt like a good choice.

The combination of Snecko Skull and Envenom is quite nasty, and particularly ridiculous with Flechettes. Corpse Explosion was extremely useful in multi-enemy fights; playing it on Spire Shield was probably the most satisfying moment of the run. Today I also learned that if you have Envenom active, Bane always hits non-blocking enemies twice -- the poison applied from the first hit causes the second hit to occur.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yoshi Wins posted:

Lesson Learned is so much fun, and so is double Omniscience.

How'd you like the Snecko start?

Snecko start meant MAXIMUM GREED and passing on cards I'd normally take, like Consecrate (or whatever the 0 mana 8 damage to all is called). Apotheosis, Eruption+, Omniscience+ into Omniscience+ into Wish+ (+4 Str, +4 Str) into Ragnarok+ into Ragnarok+ happened quite a few times!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So hey I picked this up on Android a few days ago and I think I'm having a blast but also fundamentally I have no idea what I'm doing. I keep forgetting to read what poo poo does so every turn is a surprise!

Also I died to the boss of the third... Map? And then I stared another run but when Ioaded my save in the morning the game... Sneezed or something and brought me back to the boss fight. I won that time but I have no idea how to feel about it. Does it count? Also am I supposed to be able to defeat the giant heart. And then the game sneezed again so the heart killed me a second time.

Anyway so that's where I am. Any newbie advice? Is four characters the full roster? Can I actually kill the heart? Are shivs good? What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing with the Watcher? Can I sync progress across systems or will I have to unlock everything on Switch separately from android?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

YggiDee posted:

So hey I picked this up on Android a few days ago and I think I'm having a blast but also fundamentally I have no idea what I'm doing. I keep forgetting to read what poo poo does so every turn is a surprise!

Also I died to the boss of the third... Map? And then I stared another run but when Ioaded my save in the morning the game... Sneezed or something and brought me back to the boss fight. I won that time but I have no idea how to feel about it. Does it count? Also am I supposed to be able to defeat the giant heart. And then the game sneezed again so the heart killed me a second time.

Anyway so that's where I am. Any newbie advice? Is four characters the full roster? Can I actually kill the heart? Are shivs good? What the gently caress am I supposed to be doing with the Watcher? Can I sync progress across systems or will I have to unlock everything on Switch separately from android?

Are you quitting out of the game before seeing the character death animation or going back to the main screen? You can actually pretty easily "savescum" by going back to the main menu mid-fight (or restarting the game). When you reload it will take you back to the start of whatever fight you were on, and the cards will come out in the same order.

I found it super useful while learning the game since you can get bodied in a fight then reload and try something different. It's actually pretty interesting how dramatically different a fight can go if you play different cards, or remember to use potions, or even just switch up card order.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hmm. I don't think that's it, I always let the death play out because I'm still unlocking relics and poo poo. But I'm also ADHD as gently caress and it wouldn't be the first time I paused a game mid-boss because I heard a bird or something. I just remember it was weird because I had three seperate runs in between.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Did you have a fairy in a bottle or a lizard tail?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I did not. I'm looking in my run history, they're all listed as separate runs with identical seeds and items but different outcomes.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm having similar glitches on my android.

If you post a run and your neow choice, we can all replay the run and post our runs to give you really useful info on how exactly things could've gone differently with a few different choices. From the main menu go to Statistics>>Run History

And welcome! In my 35 years of gaming I think this might be my #1 all time favorite game

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Yeah that happens with android from time to time. Ill close a game and it will bring me to my previous run before lol

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Tuned into Jorbs stream for a bit, turns out when you put more than 1 billion poison on the heart it decides you don't get to win

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

(He still won that anyway)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

He's got 3 upgraded adrenalines in his hand at that very moment.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

He's also got a 42 card deck and 150 exhausted cards? drat.

Tonight I learned that Calipers, Necronimicon, Wallop and a Duplication Potion shuts down just about anything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Walla posted:

Tonight I learned that Calipers, Necronimicon, Wallop and a Duplication Potion shuts down just about anything.

He got two Nightmares which is the 'do whatever silly poo poo you want' wincon.

Almost all those exhausted cards were duped Nightmares, Adrenalines or Catalysts :v:

He ended up being forced to chip the Heart down from 430 with Shivs which was pretty funny because no poison damage would even register anymore.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Nightmare is bonkers. Had a run recently where I was able to consistently use it on Sneaky Strike and just do some crazy things.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

Nice. I got the Calipers/apparitions event combo the other day, which I'd never seen. I was mad I did it on my Galaxy because I'm only on A2 there. Would've almost definitely gotten me over my A19 Heartkill slump with Watcher and Defect

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Nice. I got the Calipers/apparitions event combo the other day, which I'd never seen. I was mad I did it on my Galaxy because I'm only on A2 there. Would've almost definitely gotten me over my A19 Heartkill slump with Watcher and Defect

the what event?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

calipers the rare relic, apparitions the event that halves your hp in exhange for 5x "gain 1 intangible" cards. together they are strong. but there's no event that uses both

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

calipers the rare relic, apparitions the event that halves your hp in exhange for 5x "gain 1 intangible" cards. together they are strong. but there's no event that uses both

That isn't what he meant. He got Calipers and the Apparitions event, not an event that combines the two.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So higher ascension means more elites right? Just cracking into the first levels now.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Not really more elites. It’s just that everything else gets harder. Enemies have more health and armor and do more damage. Some regular fights at higher ascension levels feel like elite fights.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bob A Feet posted:

So higher ascension means more elites right? Just cracking into the first levels now.

Ascension 1 is more elite spawns on the map but each Ascension will add new things like a damage buff to all enemies, new Elite AI patterns, the loss of a potion slot, the addition of an unremovable curse to your deck at the start of each game, worse event outcomes etc.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Sometimes the RNG just hands you an awesome run

Swapped for a boss relic, got the Astrolabe, and was given Creative AI+, Multicast+, and Chaos+

The mummified hand was :discourse:

Also shoutout to Meteor strike, its really good when consistently have the energy to cast it

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

That isn't what he meant. He got Calipers and the Apparitions event, not an event that combines the two.

yeah that's what i meant by "there's no event that uses both". they're just two great tastes that taste great together

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Got an insane deck last night that combined the necromonicon, runic cube, blue candle and rupture, plus plenty of card draw, five bloodlettings... and oh yeah, all my strikes got replaced by bites! Basically meant that at any point I could trade 1 life to get 2 strength and draw a card, infinitely, and nearly every attack healed me for 2hp anyway

I dont think I'm ever going to get a deck that reliably finished every battle in the game by turn two, with max life, at ascension 16+, again, but god drat that was amazing

Even if I did get a dead branch later on that nearly hosed everything up - even that, greatly reducing the efficiency of the deck ,still let me beat the heart in four turns without ever being at risk

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 26, 2021

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
I’ve been playing this game for over 180 hours now.

… and just yesterday I realized that Secret Weapon and Secret Technique are different cards.

… I also just realized that blur is “stackable”. If you play two in one hand you’ve got that property for two turns. I thought it required playing a new blur card each turn to keep the string going.

Always something new to learn it seems. Probably the best game I’ve ever played. I’ve played a lot of games in my life, so that’s sort of saying something.

——-

Some discussion thoughts: are there any colorless cards that you love in general? Are there some colorless cards you love for one character specifically? Any you very much dislike in general? Dislike for a specific character?

Just starting to really think about these colorless cards. They must have value if they’re available across every character, but until very recently I didn’t start really considering them as important. Maybe they aren’t? Something makes me think that they are, though.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In general any Colourless card that cost 0 mana and draws is worth getting in almost any deck (those are the cards I look out for in that pick 3 Colourless card event, for example). Master of Strategy and Violence are examples of the strongest versions of that type of card and can really make a deck sing. Obviously the perfect Colourless card is Apotheosis, which unless you have a very tight or heavily upgraded deck is bonkers.

Favourite Colourless card? Of course, The Bomb. It is pretty awful but very fun!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I find my most bought colorless card in general is the single-target piercing wail. The yellows are often too expensive outside of apotheosis.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

EconDad posted:

Some discussion thoughts: are there any colorless cards that you love in general? Are there some colorless cards you love for one character specifically? Any you very much dislike in general? Dislike for a specific character?

Just starting to really think about these colorless cards. They must have value if they’re available across every character, but until very recently I didn’t start really considering them as important. Maybe they aren’t? Something makes me think that they are, though.

You're not wrong to have thought of them as less significant - there are a lot of bad, or at least very situational, colorless cards. Here's my thoughts, generally, though keep in mind that these evaluations are based on fighting the Heart on Ascension 20, and assuming you're gonna pay money for this card in a store or HP for this card at that one event.

God Tier: Apotheosis, Hand of Greed (if bought early), Master of Strategy

Generally Good: Dark Shackles, Finesse, Flash of Steel, Panacea, Secret Technique

Situational: Deep Breath, Discovery, Good Instincts, Impatience, Panic Button, Purity, Swift Strike, Trip, Magnetism, Mayhem, Panache, The Bomb (if you get it early), Violence, Secret Weapon

Usually Trash: Bandage Up, Blind, Dramatic Entrance, Enlightenment, Forethought, Jack of All Trades, Madness, Mind Blast, Chrysalis, Metamorphasis, Sadistic Nature, Thinking Ahead, Transmutation

Ironclad: Flash of Steel can help do infinites with Dropkick or whatever, so that's a possibility worth keeping in mind. Trip is worse, obviously, since you've got Bash to apply vulnerable instead.

Silent: If you have a Well-Laid Plans, cards like Madness and Enlightenment go up in value, but still are pretty situational, and Dark Shackles and Panic Button get way better. Panacea can go with Wraith Form, but you probably don't need it. Panache is decent in decks with 2-3 Blade Dances. Impatience can be good for poison decks that end up with few attacks.

Defect: I'll take Panacea even if I don't have a Biased Cognition yet, just in the hopes of getting one later. Madness can set up All for One loops, but it's really really hard to pull off. Impatience can be good for orb-heavy, attack-light decks.

Watcher: Panache is good for Flurry of Blows decks. Mayhem is a liability a lot of the time because it may put you in Wrath (or worse, Blasphemy) unexpectedly. Meditate makes Madness and Enlightenment go up in value.

Other notes: All the zero-cost cards that don't draw cards get better the more card draw you have. Deep Breath gets better if you have Abacus or Sundial. Although Finesse is basically free block, keep in mind that you'll be punished for having it against Gremlin Nob (act 1 elite) or Chosen (act 2 regular enemy). Violence is good if you've removed a lot of Strikes but still have relatively cheap attacks on average. Panacea is a lot better if you can reliably get it on turn 1, so it can block the Heart's initial status deluge.

I'd also like to stress that I almost never buy anything in the Situational or Usually Trash ratings, and fairly rarely buy the Generally Good ones, even with the considerations in these extra notes. Usually your money is better spent on relics, which help your deck without you having to draw them, or your own character's cards that work toward your strategy. But if you acquire them in other ways, a lot of them can be decent depending on the situation - it's almost always worth paying the life to see extra colorless cards at that one event, for example.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Is Bandage Up that bad? It's pretty low priority for me but seems handy more often than not. As a block card it's worse than Good Instincts but you don't have to worry about drawing it on turns when you need block, which I generally find is a net plus.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EconDad posted:

… and just yesterday I realized that Secret Weapon and Secret Technique are different cards.

… I also just realized that blur is “stackable”. If you play two in one hand you’ve got that property for two turns. I thought it required playing a new blur card each turn to keep the string going.

Always something new to learn it seems. Probably the best game I’ve ever played. I’ve played a lot of games in my life, so that’s sort of saying something.

——-

See dark shackles get dark shackles.

The ones that draw for cheap are pretty good too.

Most other good ones are pretty situational.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Sadistic Nature is crazy on Silent if you have halfway consistent poison output. You get a trigger for every individual poison application so Fumes and Envenom just shred enemies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

EconDad posted:

Hand of Greed is hands down my favorite. It does good damage for its price, making it much easier to use as a finished than something like Feed, and you can make a LOT of money with it - which you can then use to trim down your deck and make it much stronger. I also play ironclad a lot so it synergizes well with strength builds (where it can kill things with ease) and block builds (where you can survive easily enough that its trivial to wait until you have it to finish the enemy off).

I also think Bandage Up is really nice, it doesn't heal for much but it adds up for removing chip damage in a defense heavy or self-harming deck, especially if you've got other cards that let you play it multiple times. Enlightenment is incredible if you build your deck around high cost cards (works really well getting the plasma going for defect in my experience). Madness and metamorphoses are great if you can keep your deck thin (they synergize quite well with a small Hand of Greed deck or a Blockade/Entrench/Shrug Off deck).

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 26, 2021

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Hand of Greed is my top pick, too. It's high-tier damage/energy even before you get into the gold generation that is its actual purpose. Apotheosis is the other one I'll almost always go for at high ascension. Everything else kind of depends on how my deck is looking.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

EconDad posted:

——-

usually i pick up colorless cards to supplement me doing something good, but its rare that a colorless card will do something good on its own. so sometimes flash of steel is good, usually its trash. finesse is 2 block and 1 card so its pretty inoffensive, but when heart has beat of death at 3 its not even block positive so it can be pointless... but if you pair it with after image or panache or letter opener or whatever it can be fine. rare colorless cards are pretty situational, but hand of greed and apotheosis are both good. rare colorless card starter option can sometimes yield either of these and you can have a really fun act 1. other act 1 rare colorless cards that can be strong are like the bomb (but this is not even that good) and master of strategy. violence also has its uses and I think its a great card on watcher specifically.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I feel like Mayhem can be really really good, but it's also high risk because it might play garbage or something actively harmful so its very deck dependent. But if your deck is suited for it, its very powerful. It's honestly one of my favorites to get early so I can build around it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Sadistic nature and panache can work pretty well with poison and shiv decks respectively. The former especially if you have envenom or noxious fumes.

EFB