Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Re: Sadistic Nature: I rate this so low because I also rate Envenom pretty low. Even with Noxious Fumes and Bouncing Flask its damage simply isn't that significant compared to the poison cards themselves. And it's a rare so it's expensive - I'd rather have a relic or a Silent rare most of the time. Yeah it's ok if you've got a lot of Blade Dance with Envenom going on, but I don't end up with that deck very often - after all, Envenom is a rare and Accuracy is an uncommon.

Re: Bandage Up: yeah it's real bad. Drawing it on the wrong turn, instead of a good card to block an attack or close out the fight, can often mean taking more damage than it heals. It's easy to not notice the opportunity cost of not drawing a different card. If you have something like 2 skims or 2 battle trances or whatever, then it becomes playable, but I still probably wouldn't spend money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think I probably like bandage up because I tend to take it either on heavy decks where I almost never play more than three cards from my hand anyway (so a few free cards are nice to sprinkle in, and compared to the other free cards I think it is pretty good) or self harm decks where I have a ton of card draw anyway and something to offset the self harm is really appreciated, and finally in exhaustion decks where a zero cost card that exhausts is always nice. And all three of those types of deck are common for me. Its a lot better than a strike or something 90% of the time, at least it doesnt eat up AP which tends to be my limiting factor by a large margin.

I definitely don't take it in decks that are already marginal, or reaper decks, or vampire decks, or even body slam decks, because those decks you really dont have spare cards to play with most of the time.

I might also (probably am) just making bad choices! :V

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 26, 2021

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
I feel like any other card is better to have than bandage up..there will be times you are forced to play it because you dont have any other defense cards and what do ya know its just a lovely block card in the end. I think i just stopped taking it totally a year or so ago

I finally got around to playing the Downfall mod and was not expecting how the final act turned out. Hooo boy thats a fun mod, a lot of new mechanics to take in. Sts just keeps getting better

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

cheeseboy58 posted:

I feel like any other card is better to have than bandage up..there will be times you are forced to play it because you dont have any other defense cards and what do ya know its just a lovely block card in the end. I think i just stopped taking it totally a year or so ago

I finally got around to playing the Downfall mod and was not expecting how the final act turned out. Hooo boy thats a fun mod, a lot of new mechanics to take in. Sts just keeps getting better

Downfall is incredible and I can't wait to start working on its Ascensions after I finish base STS. That said!

I *finally* beat A20 with Silent! I'm disappointed I forgot to grab the blue key from the last chest because I had gone out of my way for the ruby and green one :( Overall really pleased. Burst+ was MVP for defense and offense. Get hosed Bird God and Time Whiner.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just got the Android version and started working on my unlocks. Rupture with a pain in the deck is surprisingly effective strength scaling.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

DekeThornton posted:

I just got the Android version and started working on my unlocks. Rupture with a pain in the deck is surprisingly effective strength scaling.

I never thought about that! Or the curse that does damage based on # of cards in hand at the end of the turn. New ideas...

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

My favorite deck of all time was a Runic Pyramid deck where I kept Pain on purpose, to proc Rupture over and over, and then I'd Reaper back to full to end every fight.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I got the pain from a floor two warped tongs, with the intention to remove it a couple of floors later, then got a rupture that helped me murder the three sentries. So the pain got to stick around all the way to time eater. Good fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really love making decks that run on curses. Its so goddamned satisfying.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Slay the Spire being all about figuring out ways to "break" the rules scratches a big itch for me

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I haven't been at this very long but I deeply enjoyed the one time I got Evolve and Fire Breathing to use against the three Sentry monsters.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Back on the Colorless card conversation - what's the argument against Dramatic Entrance? I don't spend gold on it in shops, but I'll grab it often enough if it shows up during Colorless events (basically unless the S tier cards are there). When upgraded it's basically an upgraded Cleave you get to use out the gate every fight. Plus it Exhausts itself, so you get the damage out and then it's not clogging your deck up.

Nothing crazy, but it pulls its weight against elites with minions or large groups of enemies and if you have synergistic turn one relics like the Jaxxed event thing or marbles it can make a number of hallway fights more reliable.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I haven't been at this very long but I deeply enjoyed the one time I got Evolve and Fire Breathing to use against the three Sentry monsters.

Ironclad's powers are ridiculous in that fight. Feel No Pain also completely solves it.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Buuuuuuuuuurn in the flames of my daze

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Primetime posted:

Back on the Colorless card conversation - what's the argument against Dramatic Entrance? I don't spend gold on it in shops, but I'll grab it often enough if it shows up during Colorless events (basically unless the S tier cards are there). When upgraded it's basically an upgraded Cleave you get to use out the gate every fight. Plus it Exhausts itself, so you get the damage out and then it's not clogging your deck up.

Nothing crazy, but it pulls its weight against elites with minions or large groups of enemies and if you have synergistic turn one relics like the Jaxxed event thing or marbles it can make a number of hallway fights more reliable.

I had a crazy Silent run where I had turn 1 Vulnerable and Bottled After Image along with the Jaxx relic and several copies of Backstab. I would have loved Dramatic Entrance on that run.

I also often buy it in shops but it's never a priority.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

Is Bandage Up that bad? It's pretty low priority for me but seems handy more often than not. As a block card it's worse than Good Instincts but you don't have to worry about drawing it on turns when you need block, which I generally find is a net plus.

I'd put it in the middle tier. It's a zero mana defensive tool that works even if you're not facing incoming damage.

I saw jobs take it once and he seemed pretty happy to play it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Walla posted:

I also often buy it in shops but it's never a priority.

Yeah, that's kind of the issue with colorless cards. They're too rare and too expensive.

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Primetime posted:

Back on the Colorless card conversation - what's the argument against Dramatic Entrance?

The issue with innate cards is that they replace a slot in your opening hand that would otherwise be filled with another card in your deck. A 0 energy Cleave is probably not one of the best cards in your deck. You want to draw those cards instead. This is especially true on turn 1, where you want to start setting up your engine and/or keep yourself alive (in order to live long enough to set up your engine and win with it.) Playing a Better Cleave doesn’t accomplish either of these things.
This is also why you see streamers skip picking up Bottled Flame off of early elite fights. There often isn’t an attack that you’d want to have in every opening hand, every fight, in place of a random other card from your deck.
That said the other day I had a sweet Watcher run with bottled Ragnarok, Akabeko, and Necronomicon, so hey. Sometimes things are correct to do, even if a lot of the time they are not.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, that's kind of the issue with colorless cards. They're too rare and too expensive.

If you have the Membership Card and/or Ceramic Fish the cost becomes much more manageable.

Also it's just a decent front-loaded attack if you need just a bit more damage.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Primetime posted:

Back on the Colorless card conversation - what's the argument against Dramatic Entrance?

It falls off really bad in the late game when you're using your early turns as setup and you're reducing the number of looks you have at your setup cards turn one.

It's gas in some fights but also an innate curse in a lot of important spots

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Primetime posted:

The game's biggest challenges are bosses that have 300+ HP. Squeezing in an extra 8 damage on round 1 is basically never going to make a difference against them, but it will push all your important draws back 1 spot in the deck.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The game’s biggest challenge has around 80 HP, though its ability, which gives it block every time it takes damage, lets it stretch that health further than it looks like it should be able to.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Panic Button is really good if you have artifact stacks because they prevent the "gain no block" debuff.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The only two colorless cards I ever go for are Panacea (duh) and Mayhem. Once in a while swift strike can make sense.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

They're usually too expensive to be worth buying, but many are worth taking at the Sensory Stone event, and I usually sacrifice 10hp to look at the maximum number. Dark Shackles is excellent in all of the act 3 boss fights and both act 4 fights. Panic Button is very strong with Runic Pyramid, Well Laid Plans, frost orbs, Incense Burner, or many other things that allow you to play around or block the debuff.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
dark shackles doesnt seem very good against donu and deca unless your deck is built for it

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I've been stymied trying to get the "who needs relics?" achievement. I think I've tried about every class, trading for random boss-relics and not, but I've been destroyed multiple times by the act 3 boss. All things equal I feel like Watcher is the strongest class to try this challenge, since no-additional-relics doesn't really detract from the core of calm/wrath and big damage. I really want to finish this challenge though, it's tantalizingly close but the third act whittles me down and the final boss delivers the coup de gras.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Verviticus posted:

dark shackles doesnt seem very good against donu and deca unless your deck is built for it

Dark Shackles will block 18 or 30 damage for zero mana in that fight. I don't know about you but in my book that's drat good.

palindrome posted:

I've been stymied trying to get the "who needs relics?" achievement. I think I've tried about every class, trading for random boss-relics and not, but I've been destroyed multiple times by the act 3 boss. All things equal I feel like Watcher is the strongest class to try this challenge, since no-additional-relics doesn't really detract from the core of calm/wrath and big damage. I really want to finish this challenge though, it's tantalizingly close but the third act whittles me down and the final boss delivers the coup de gras.

You can always start runs until you get snecko eye. Then let gecko Jesus take the wheel. Ironclad with its expensive cards and exhaust engine is probably the easiest in this case.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 28, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nrook posted:

The game’s biggest challenge has around 80 HP, though its ability, which gives it block every time it takes damage, lets it stretch that health further than it looks like it should be able to.

Don't worry, one day you will get to Act 3.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

to get to act 3 you need to get through act 2, though. and you will have had a lot less time to build a good deck in act 2, against hall fights that are significantly harder to deal with at the time

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I finally got up to Ironclad A15, Silent A15, Watcher A13, and Defect is A11! Not sure what clicked but I did some really good runs in the past few days.

Embracing boss relic swap pretty much all the time. Except empty cage, gently caress that. Tiny house....depends on what card I get.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jedit posted:

Don't worry, one day you will get to Act 3.

The avocado is a challenge even after you've beaten Act 3 a few times.

For my money, snakeplant is the worst. I'd rather face Book of Stabbing than that thing.

Also, Donu and Deca are complete chumps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Walla posted:

The avocado is a challenge even after you've beaten Act 3 a few times.

For my money, snakeplant is the worst. I'd rather face Book of Stabbing than that thing.

He was talking about Snake Plant. It's a bastard, but it's by no means a worse encounter than Avocado/Rat or Writhing Mass.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

palindrome posted:

BaalorLord made a video guide to getting this achievement recently. I haven't watched it because I got that achievement before this video came out, but I've always found him to be very knowledgeable and good at explaining things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTn0Iod5-Y

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jedit posted:

He was talking about Snake Plant. It's a bastard, but it's by no means a worse encounter than Avocado/Rat or Writhing Mass.

I dunno why I thought he was talking about the avocado.

I find Snake Plant to be the worst Act 2 encounter. That jerk has destroyed plenty of runs.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

As IC, colorless cards that I will happily pay full price at the shop: Dark shackles, panic button, hand of greed, apotheosis.

Colorless cards that are overpriced but will happily take from the event: master of strategy, thinking ahead.

Panacea depends on what my deck looks like, but usually I find that it's too unreliable to purchase. Many times I will find myself already debuffed before I even draw it making the whole endeavour rather pointless, but I'm sure it has far better uses on other classes like defect.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

On A20 the avocado starts every fight with 21 dmg attack and the block debuff. Combined with the scaling mushroom who also causes vulnerable when you kill it and you are in for a bad time even if you win the fight. With enough aoe, you can spam down the slavers, but if you try that on the avocado your going to find yourself on the receiving end of a 30 damage attack after you blow your load.

So aggression is punished by vulnerable, and defensiveness is punished by scaling and fragile. It's just a shitshow.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
It's slow going, but I'm making progress against the heart

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hate the avocado with my life, it does not leave the Ironclad alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is taking Mayhem a good idea? Probably not. Will I take it every time? Absolutely