Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ragequit posted:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1419707468377067520?s=21
I am waiting for 4-6, but those are solid prices
I would wait for the font mod.

I would definitely get 3 if it has a save point in the last dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

tbh i'd rather just save my money and just emulate the originals, they always mess up with these remakes/remasters.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
These versions should be mostly graphically updated sprites from the NES era, with few improvements like faster turns. They should also lack most of the extras the previous ports have, like new dungeons.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Triarii posted:

I was tempted to try the hardest difficulty because it sounds like it makes a bunch of interesting changes to the gameplay, but it also says it increases the cost of items at merchants and I couldn't see myself wanting a more grindy game.

You can just lower the difficulty whenever you want to buy something, then raise it back up when you're done.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sailor Dave posted:

You can just lower the difficulty whenever you want to buy something, then raise it back up when you're done.

Does this work on ultra hard?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Scalding Coffee posted:

These versions should be mostly graphically updated sprites from the NES era, with few improvements like faster turns. They should also lack most of the extras the previous ports have, like new dungeons.

The pixel art is based on the hd remake sprites rather than the NES sprites though

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

You can get everything you need from the border outpost way east of the main city since there's a purple-tier vendor there.

It's basically AC Odyssey but more restrictive/annoying to traverse with a lovely crafting/inventory system and crashes constantly (usually in the middle of a long fight). No quicksave to offset the crashes either since it's a low effort console port.

Have fun!

This is a hot take I can get behind. I thought I was the only one who felt HZD was just another in a long line of identical open world games but this time with dinosaurs :kiddo: My over-reliance on Tear Arrows probably ruined the combat for me, but there was nothing else fun about the game since the story/setting/characters didn't jive with me so I don't really want to go back and try it with a different combat style.

e: Bow & Arrow is a dweeb's weapon and every game about an archer sucks :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 27, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Kenshi with mods is the greatest game of all-time.

Put 53+ hours into over two weeks.

My playthrough is a shonen anime come to life.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

do we have a time for highfleet ?

edit: from the store page

quote:

HighFleet Live broadcast on release
A couple of hours of playing the Highfleet live from the developers.

UPCOMING EVENT STARTS
Wed, July 28, 2021
3:00 AM AEST
ENDS
5:30 AM AEST

edit2: its nearly 1AM AEST

Qmass fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 27, 2021

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Qmass posted:

do we have a time for highfleet ?

edit: from the store page

edit2: its nearly 1AM AEST

Their Steam page said 27th before it changed to 'coming soon'. Apparently the devs have confirmed it's due in a couple of hours from now, but that's second hand information from someone who says they were in their discord.

I'm guessing they hosed the date up by accident when they had the streamer beta. It's just weird that they haven't gone back and made it clear what's happening.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I think people are sometimes surprised that the machine-based combat is a bit more complex than just plinking arrows at robots. You have to plan ahead a little for the major encounters, scan machines with the focus to spot vulnerabilities, inflict elemental effects, tear off armor, and explode canisters to do any damage on higher difficulties. Gear is somewhat important but it's maybe like 20% of your overall effectiveness versus 60% having the right strategy.

This is extremely true and it's also why I ultimately got frustrated with the game. The combat is really involved and thoughtful, and that's cool, but it becomes less cool 50-60% through the game when you can regularly get into situations where walking from point A to point B gets you spotted by a Glinthawk, and that means you're fighting three Glinthawks, and the commotion aggroed a Watcher so now you're fighting two Watchers, and their fighting you alerted the herd they were protecting so now there's four Broadheads running around, and while rolling around avoiding them you fell into the path of a couple Sawtooths or Ravagers so now they're after you and just for shits and giggles somehow this pulled a Snapmaw from the nearby river.

It has this deep joy of cascading around you, and it's not that the combat is exactly HARD so much as you spend a lot more time dealing with it than you necessarily want to. Though it's also possible this being my second playthrough of the game I just have way less patience for it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CarlCX posted:

This is extremely true and it's also why I ultimately got frustrated with the game. The combat is really involved and thoughtful, and that's cool, but it becomes less cool 50-60% through the game when you can regularly get into situations where walking from point A to point B gets you spotted by a Glinthawk, and that means you're fighting three Glinthawks, and the commotion aggroed a Watcher so now you're fighting two Watchers, and their fighting you alerted the herd they were protecting so now there's four Broadheads running around, and while rolling around avoiding them you fell into the path of a couple Sawtooths or Ravagers so now they're after you and just for shits and giggles somehow this pulled a Snapmaw from the nearby river.

It has this deep joy of cascading around you, and it's not that the combat is exactly HARD so much as you spend a lot more time dealing with it than you necessarily want to. Though it's also possible this being my second playthrough of the game I just have way less patience for it.

Yeah, that was one of my main complaints as well. Turning monster fights into basically miniboss encounters was pretty cool the first few times you went up against them. But when very nearly every single major fight and every bit of exploration devolves into such an encounter it really gets tedious eventually. In most games you first learn how to fight more involved enemies the long and hard way, and then as a reward you eventually get more powerful equipment to shortcut them. But with HZD that second part never seemed to happen. Fighting a ravager near the beginning of the game takes as long as fighting it twenty hours in, since the raw power of your weaponry doesn't seem to increase very much. At some point I just wanted to get on with it without having to chase weakpoints, juggle elements, or setting up a dozen traps every time.

Fortunately the game does have adjustable difficulty, so just turning that down to minimum let me breeze through the last act at a much more pleasant pace.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Anyone with opinions about Aviary Attorney? https://store.steampowered.com/app/384630/Aviary_Attorney
It gets discounts extremely rarely nowadays and I'm thinking of grabbing it from current sale.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sininu posted:

Anyone with opinions about Aviary Attorney? https://store.steampowered.com/app/384630/Aviary_Attorney
It gets discounts extremely rarely nowadays and I'm thinking of grabbing it from current sale.

From all the "professional" reviews I read back in the day when it came out: it's an amusing take on Ace Attorney (if you have played that, and if you haven't go get that instead) that is also surprisingly short as if they ran out of budget midway. The average seems to be 5h to beat, though there are multiple endings.

Still, you can see from the overwhelming positive rating on Steam: it's likely a very fun time while it lasts.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 27, 2021

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Sininu posted:

Pretty sure it is goon adjacent.

It is an Ace Attorney esque visual novel set in 1800s anthromorphic France. The writing was surprisingly sharp, and I was impressed by the multiple endings.

My two biggest complaints were the visual style hurts the eyes and no cloud save support. 5ish hours is the time frame I was hitting before I lost my save. Definitely worth grabbing on sale if it at all looks interesting to you

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The glinthawks in Horizon sucked until I realized that fire drops them to the ground. Just load an old bow with fire mods and you can take them out in 2 3-arrow volleys.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Perestroika posted:

But with HZD that second part never seemed to happen.

It's the ropecaster.

exquisite tea posted:

I think people are sometimes surprised that the machine-based combat is a bit more complex than just plinking arrows at robots. You have to plan ahead a little for the major encounters, scan machines with the focus to spot vulnerabilities, inflict elemental effects, tear off armor, and explode canisters to do any damage on higher difficulties. Gear is somewhat important but it's maybe like 20% of your overall effectiveness versus 60% having the right strategy.

This is the thing I enjoyed the most. On hard, it feels like you're fighting metal dinosaurs with a bow and arrow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
elemental multipliers + nocking multiple arrows is how you effortlessly down bigger machines in the lategame

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CarlCX posted:

this was my experience with that game. it was way too easy for the ideal of “precise locational damage-based duel” to just turn into “incoherent rollspam clusterfuck” because every robot from the adjoining zip code will start naruto running over to you the moment you get in a fight

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fat Samurai posted:

This is the thing I enjoyed the most. On hard, it feels like you're fighting metal dinosaurs with a bow and arrow.

Not quite. I mean, that would be essentially totally impossible. An arrow, almost no matter what was attached to it, couldn't do poo poo to a huge metal tank of a dinosaur.

I also played on hard... it was okay I guess but mostly just seemed like more of doing the same thing. LONG health bars so you gotta be patient to take down the big boys and by the end you'll often be out of tons of poo poo, especially with the death reapers or whatever they're called

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

For puzzle fans, Bonfire Peaks has a release date: September 30th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w2k13WYj9E

this news comes from Draknek's little news event today where they also mentioned that A Monster's Expedition will get an update with 100 new islands, and their next game is a combination of Cosmic Express and Sokobond:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1701330/Sokobond_Express?snr=1_7_15__13

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Splitgate owns

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Play posted:

Not quite. I mean, that would be essentially totally impossible. An arrow, almost no matter what was attached to it, couldn't do poo poo to a huge metal tank of a dinosaur.

Fine. It feels like you're doing a hard thing that can kill you very easily and it feels good when you manage to do the hard thing without getting killed.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That Highfleet game is out. I had no idea it was made by the guy that made the extremely good Hammerfight. I need to save money.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is Tribes of Midgard going to be big enough for its own thread?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Fine. It feels like you're doing a hard thing that can kill you very easily and it feels good when you manage to do the hard thing without getting killed.

Not entirely. Failing to do the hard thing only kills you in the game, not in real life

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

that's better :colbert:

KingKapalone posted:

Is Tribes of Midgard going to be big enough for its own thread?

Make one and you'll quickly find out!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Det_no posted:

That Highfleet game is out. I had no idea it was made by the guy that made the extremely good Hammerfight. I need to save money.

The dev is streaming High Fleet on Steam right now (just access the store page - should be a dropdown near the top right). Haven't watched much yet, but the on-screen water effect (simulating rain I think?) looked very obtrusive. Not sure yet if you can dial that down or not. I really hope the game features don't get in the way of the game play for this one. Watching that changed my mind from "should I take a stab at this one" to "ehhh, better wait - I have some concerns". Fingers crossed this one works out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kragger99 posted:

The dev is streaming High Fleet on Steam right now (just access the store page - should be a dropdown near the top right). Haven't watched much yet, but the on-screen water effect (simulating rain I think?) looked very obtrusive. Not sure yet if you can dial that down or not. I really hope the game features don't get in the way of the game play for this one. Watching that changed my mind from "should I take a stab at this one" to "ehhh, better wait - I have some concerns". Fingers crossed this one works out.

The game is entirely obtrusive style getting in the way of basic functionality. It’s really infuriating.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The pixel art is based on the hd remake sprites rather than the NES sprites though
Definitely looks more like the NES sprites than the PSP sprites, those are much larger

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I love style, and if it gets in the way of functionality maybe that's because it's supposed to to create a more difficult and aesthetically rewarding experience.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The game is entirely obtrusive style getting in the way of basic functionality. It’s really infuriating.

How is the actual game part of the game? I've looked at a bunch of video and I genuinely can't tell if it's a neat EV-ish dieselpunk thing, or a really shallow flash game with a dense aesthetic layer painted on top.

Either way I think the vibe I'm getting from this is to just go back and play more Starsector.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao

Shadow of Chernobyl: Brooding, lonely, mysterious, desperately trying to get my piece of poo poo pistol to aim in a straight line because my dogshit smg jammed

Clear Sky: blitzing through swamps 360 noscoping bandits with hunting shotguns to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjBvwFXoehg

2 Cheeki 4 me

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sure someone somewhere likes Clear Sky meaningfully but it ain't me.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

I think the options screen only has volume sliders so probably not? Does seem like a very deliberately harsh game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Play posted:

I love style, and if it gets in the way of functionality maybe that's because it's supposed to to create a more difficult and aesthetically rewarding experience.

In HighFleet’s case, it partially does that and is partially just terrible design. I’m on my phone rn but the RockPaperShotgun review does an excellent job of explaining pretty much every problem I have with the game.

Omi no Kami posted:

How is the actual game part of the game? I've looked at a bunch of video and I genuinely can't tell if it's a neat EV-ish dieselpunk thing, or a really shallow flash game with a dense aesthetic layer painted on top.

Either way I think the vibe I'm getting from this is to just go back and play more Starsector.

It’s very neat. I wouldn’t liken it so much to EV, more Starsector if anything. I wouldn’t say it’s shallow, it has good systemic depth, but not only is interaction inconvenient at best and faulty at worst, there are so many simple UX issues that can mess up your entire game in a few clicks due to inconsistencies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Was I imagining things or was the Steam Deck announcement supposed to have some kind of SteamOS update?

Because I downloaded SteamOS off the site today and dragged the contents to a FAT32 drive and it won't even boot my laptop, when like 20 different Linux USBs all worked over the last week. The readme's are all from 2019.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zero VGS posted:

Was I imagining things or was the Steam Deck announcement supposed to have some kind of SteamOS update?

You aren't imagining, Valve finally learned to count to 3 and SteamOS 3 is a thing. That will be available at Steam Deck's launch.

It will be based on Manjaro IIRC, so you can install that instead for now.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao

Shadow of Chernobyl: Brooding, lonely, mysterious, desperately trying to get my piece of poo poo pistol to aim in a straight line because my dogshit smg jammed

Clear Sky: blitzing through swamps 360 noscoping bandits with hunting shotguns to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjBvwFXoehg

2 Cheeki 4 me

Freedom in ShoC: *desperately trying to repel a duty incursion in their only foothold*

Freedom in CS: lol your dick is tiny

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ES-j2QdPks0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

In HighFleet’s case, it partially does that and is partially just terrible design. I’m on my phone rn but the RockPaperShotgun review does an excellent job of explaining pretty much every problem I have with the game.

Fair enough, I haven't played it yet but I can say that I will gladly sacrifice some gameplay utility at the altar of Cool Looking Things