Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
https://twitter.com/ohpooryou/status/1417896050225000451?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

It has to be such a strange thing, to emotionally connect with someone so intensely and then have it all be "just imaginary". It isn't surprising it would be hard to set aside, even for ultra-pros like these two.

Also, great picture of them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's a great Twitter handle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Have to admit I laughed way too hard at this reply :allears:

https://twitter.com/CL0WNM0M/status/1417930138466111498

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Just got to the episode where Tony kills Ralph in my rewatch. I honestly can't see any explanation other than Ralph doing it - I don't know why it doesn't get mentioned alongside everything else but Tony and Ralph's last conversation was where Tony told him he stole his girlfriend. There's just too many factors that point in that direction.

Of course, Ralph is making some attempts to turn his life around after his son's injury, but betrays that he's fundamentally the same person (he lets slip in his conversation with Tony when he's giving him his taste that he had to 'rough up' the guy for it), he's still the kind of guy to set a stables on fire both out of spite (for Tony stealing both his horse and his woman, emasculating him) and for pure monetary gain.

The characterization for Ralph is fantastic, particularly culminating in this episode. There is of course the Satanic imagery associated with him, the way he recites lyrics from 'Sympathy for the Devil' and other things, but he's, at root, a human being. He's not Judge Holden. He's not even particularly much worse than someone like Tony Soprano. I think its telling that Tony kills Ralph the same way Ralph commits his worse crime, by beating him to death in a fit of passion. But Ralph isn't a demonic entity, he's a person. A very, very bad person, but one all the same.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 23, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Or WAS a person anyways.

The part of that episode that always gets me is Chris picking up Ralph's head by the toupee. Also "I did..ent".

Imperiolli is so good at playing being high and never over sells it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
So pissed at handsome Furio for taking part in the intervention. wth man

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm in my first watch, and just hit the ep where Tony kills Ralph. Excited to see what's next.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's pretty brutal how fast Tony turns the boss switch on Tony B.

Tony's pettiness is just on a whole other level at the start of season 5.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Not withstanding the shame over the prison thing, you do get the sense there's still a painful relationship between the two. Tony B was the dominant one before prison and comes out trying to dominate again.

Tony B has a bully mentality and you can tell he uses his intelligence to hone in on and attack someone's insecurities. He turns it on Tony and Tony redirects to Christopher to protect himself. Christopher, not as sharp as either, can't handle it or redirect it away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Tony B was doing the thing Tony hates, which was have a way out and be happy with it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never noticed how quick was Tony B. was to insult someone in a "friendly" way to establish dominance in a conversation. He even does it to Angelo Garepe's son by making a Sanford & Son joke.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I never noticed how quick was Tony B. was to insult someone in a "friendly" way to establish dominance in a conversation. He even does it to Angelo Garepe's son by making a Sanford & Son joke.

i believe it's called busting balls

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, but Tony B. does it to everyone including the Boss. He even makes jokes about Paulie sucking dick.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always found the Tony B subplot very thin. It seemed like such a cop out for his reason to get back " in the life" is a bag of money that gets thrown out of a car.

https://www.avclub.com/sopranos-themed-monopoly-set-to-increase-fistfights-bet-1847361463

Hopefully they replace the iron with Ralphie's head

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I saw that Monopoly thing and it’s hilarious how hard they ignore that scene from Soprano Home Movies including “gently caress the Parker Brothers!”

In other news, I feel like quotes from peripheral characters don’t get enough love, so I nominate “You are speaking poo poo to me!”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always liked how threatening Patsy was when he told Gloria "My face is the last one you'll see... and it won't be cinematic."

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dawgstar posted:

I always liked how threatening Patsy was when he told Gloria "My face is the last one you'll see... and it won't be cinematic."

I wish he had more screentime, same with Albert.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
gently caress that fuckin’ parakeet.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Patsy might be my favorite minor character mobster.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What? gently caress my parakeet? No, gently caress you.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TheKingslayer posted:

Patsy might be my favorite minor character mobster.

Yeah, I always had the impression that they killed the actor off too early and then were like "oh poo poo, let's .... let's give him a twin brother and bring him back!"

night slime
May 14, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

I found out the other day he's a math professor in real life. That rules

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Another Bill posted:

Yeah, I always had the impression that they killed the actor off too early and then were like "oh poo poo, let's .... let's give him a twin brother and bring him back!"

From memory I think it literally was that David Chase really liked Dan Grimaldi when he came in to do his one and done episode and wished it hadn't been a part specifically written to end in his murder... then remembered that he could do whatever he wanted and just brought him back as the character's twin brother!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Soapranos

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jerusalem posted:

From memory I think it literally was that David Chase really liked Dan Grimaldi when he came in to do his one and done episode and wished it hadn't been a part specifically written to end in his murder... then remembered that he could do whatever he wanted and just brought him back as the character's twin brother!

Yup, I had a pretty strong feeling.

Anyways, any fellow Chase-heads who love The Rockford Files itt? I'm working my way through the boxed set and its really a lot of fun. David Chase takes over most of the second half of the series. Rockford is such a loveable loser, and the dialogue is top notch. Elmore Leonard level at times.

e: Joe Santos aka Angelo Garepe from s5/s6 co-stars as Rockfords cop buddy.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 27, 2021

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, I had been told that the Patsy/Philly plotline was one of the long-running threads conclusively leading up to Members Only murdering Tony at Holsten's, this doesn't really gel with what I'm reading here

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Another Bill posted:

the scene where he tries to strong-arm not-Starbucks and the manager is like "you know that corporate will just send someone if the books are off" and he says something like "It's over for the little guy"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mameluke posted:

Sorry, I had been told that the Patsy/Philly plotline was one of the long-running threads conclusively leading up to Members Only murdering Tony at Holsten's, this doesn't really gel with what I'm reading here

It's an interesting theory certainly but not one I think is supported in anything we see beyond "well, it could have been any number of people and that's the life Tony chose."

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

It really is amazing that Tony took Patsy aside and was like "Hey, I know I killed your twin brother that you had an unbreakable bond with that can never be replaced ever in your life, and I need you to tell me everything about that is ok" at the beginning of Season 3. It's surprising that Patsy fell in line over that except for his one outburst, of course fear is a good motivator.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

It really is amazing that Tony took Patsy aside and was like "Hey, I know I killed your twin brother that you had an unbreakable bond with that can never be replaced ever in your life, and I need you to tell me everything about that is ok" at the beginning of Season 3. It's surprising that Patsy fell in line over that except for his one outburst, of course fear is a good motivator.

I mean Patsy wasn't 100% sure. Fear is also a pretty powerful motivator. Killing Tony would have only led to his own death.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Patsy did pee in his pool, though. Sometimes you've gotta take the little victories.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tony needed one of those signs that say "Welcome to our ool. You'll notice there's no P in it"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The "WHAT DO WE DO" panic from the FBI trying to mess with Tony's security was great when they saw Patsy pull a gun.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Ok the biggest laugh I've had so far in this rewatch just occurred in S5 Ep5. Tony brings AJ and a pizza over to Carmela's after all the guys gossip about him and Adriana possibly having an affair. He hands Carmela the pizza, she's angry and drops it. After they fight he storms out, slams the door. The camera lingers on the door for a second, and then Tony comes back in, grabs the pizza, and storms out again lmao

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I wish there were more scenes of Artie, Tony and AJ just hanging out at Tony's mom's place.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I wish there were more scenes of Artie, Tony and AJ just hanging out at Tony's mom's place.

It's really amazing how long Tony's mom's house figures into the plot. One way Chase extends Livia's presence throughout the story even with her gone.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

It's really amazing how long Tony's mom's house figures into the plot. One way Chase extends Livia's presence throughout the story even with her gone.

I love the scene(s?) of Janice tapping on the walls in the basement looking for hidden stashes. And knowing that, for as much as it makes her look like a paranoid lunatic, there's a very good chance that she's right to do it

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
What episode of the series do you think could be best extended into a play?

(Assuming that more dialogue was added to pad out background details, if you snipped out the details that relate to longer-term plotlines, but kept the relationships between characters intact?)

I would nominate Proshkai, Livushka; a version which centered around the action of Olivia's death and the immediate fallout for act 1, and the wake at Tony's house for act 2, would be pretty baller and could tell an interesting story about who Olivia was just from the way people talk about her, and talk to *Tony* about her for the rest of the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here’s something I don’t think has been brought up.

During Christopher’s wake someone points out a woman and they refer to her as “2 to 5, 7 to 9” because she always shows up to wakes. Thing is, that actress had been at almost every wake in the show going all the way back to at least the third season and is credited as 2 to 5/7 to 9. And when Paulie is complaining that nobody has shown up to Nucci’s wake, you can see her walk in behind them.