Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

unimportantguy posted:

Edit: y'know what I know someone's going to feel the need to be a smartass so let me just pre-emptively say yes May does in fact rule gently caress off. :colbert:

May does rule no reason to get defensive, even as a person who's definitely thought gently caress you and gently caress your loving dolphins in online matches before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

unimportantguy posted:

I cannot do the behemoths that involve upwards inputs to save my life. I could probably eventually get them down with enough practice, but I dunno if it's worth it when May rules so much and is so fun to play.

Edit: y'know what I know someone's going to feel the need to be a smartass so let me just pre-emptively say yes May does in fact rule gently caress off. :colbert:

Yeah I'm having trouble with this as well

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You know, I was always wondering.

Who the gently caress is this?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
That's me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

You know, I was always wondering.

Who the gently caress is this?

Shes like the mascot for the xrd ost and thats it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Shes like the mascot for the xrd ost and thats it

Strange choice to put a character unrelated to the game on the cover but ok.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TIL that nevermind was all about that naked swimming baby

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Char posted:

I'm labbing random stuff - Dickinson has no blockstrings?? Not even 5P 5P or S H work. On the other hand, the H after S has <3 frames startup, I've tried with Chipp, it's a counterhit every time.
Basic 66RC stuff at the corner (6H, 426H, 66RC, 5S, 5H, 624H, wallbreak) give more or less 210 damage to Pot and 310 to Chipp.
Also, the 1080 super input is too long for my hands and I can't combo it reliably - that super has a really short hitbox.

Weird character.

It looks like for corner combos you really want to abuse 426H's wallbounce.
This one is a counterhit starter though: https://twitter.com/smerinthinae/status/1419961220648431619?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Heres the x and xx ost coverS. Daisuke likes covergirls i guess?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That fan service shot.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
How the hell do you get close to Faust when he's on the other side of the screen spamming item tosses and the scalpel moves that either outright throw you to the other side of the screen or have so much pushback on block that they might as well? (As a reminder, Nago does not have air dashes and since you can't block coming out of Fukyo that just puts you right underneath the items.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

How the hell do you get close to Faust when he's on the other side of the screen spamming item tosses and the scalpel moves that either outright throw you to the other side of the screen or have so much pushback on block that they might as well? (As a reminder, Nago does not have air dashes and since you can't block coming out of Fukyo that just puts you right underneath the items.)

Walk forward.

Most items affect both players and he has to react to them the same way you do. You can absolutely guess what he's going to do based on which item comes out and counter him.
Fukyo forward also let's you slide literally fullscreen and get in his grill if he tries to throw an item in neutral and the item isn't hammer or weight.
If he does scalpel pull in neutral, you can either 6P it if you react fast or just block and keep walking forward, or block and fS to start your pressure if you're in range for that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Heres the x and xx ost coverS. Daisuke likes covergirls i guess?

The latter kinda looks like Aba at least?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

Walk forward.

I mean I tried that, but the instant a hammer, weight, mini-Faust or meteor comes out I'm just smoked on the knockdown alone, and on a bomb he can just keep me in position until it blows it feels like, and afro ain't exactly great either. It's not just the scalpel either, it's his 6H which feels like it pushes you half a screen away on block, putting you right back where you were. Doing a double Fukyo feels like it's just going to get a counterhit once you arrive in his grill because of the whole "can't block" thing?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
You can also poke the bomb back to Faust (but he can also poke it back). The trumpet lands closer to you than Faust.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If he whiffs a poke you can probably Fukyo into range for free, or go for a whiff punish if you are close enough.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

dhamster posted:

If he whiffs a poke you can probably Fukyo into range for free, or go for a whiff punish if you are close enough.

The poke is only -12 on block and forwards Fukyo is at least 25 frames before you can take any action, so I don't think that works.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SItUR7RKe8o

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The poke is only -12 on block and forwards Fukyo is at least 25 frames before you can take any action, so I don't think that works.

I meant on whiff. Scalpel is slow enough that you can probably Fukyo through it on reaction right? If not you can hang out just outside of range and Fukyo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Doing a double Fukyo feels like it's just going to get a counterhit once you arrive in his grill because of the whole "can't block" thing?

There's literally never a reason to do a double Fukyo.
Being at maximum possible distance and doing a single 236K will bring you right in range of your 2S.

Also, again, don't forget that you can 6P - 236K from full screen as you see him doing the scalpel pull.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 27, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

dhamster posted:

I meant on whiff. Scalpel is slow enough that you can probably Fukyo through it on reaction right? If not you can hang out just outside of range and Fukyo.

Your hurtbox during Fukyo seems to be too high to go through the scalpel so you just get counterhit if you try straight up, but after 6P might work. Tall order to react to given, well, me, but it's the best option I've got I think so I probably just have to get used to it. I'll try all of this stuff next time I run into a Faust.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Getting in on a Faust is the matchup. After that you can basically twerk on him as much as you want and you only need to watch out for the reversal super.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

There's a few themes on the soundtrack that I think fall short because it's impossible to get to the good part in the span of a match (Zato's, Faust's, Ram's, debatably Axl's), so I appreciate that Goldlewis' best part is the first ten seconds. The rest is great, but that weird electronic grinding is amazing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, that big poke has a hitbox and is super unsafe so long as you bait it out. If he tosses an item you might have enough time to see what came out and decide accordingly? If you want to practice it in training mode, record his toss plus a jab and the big fishing poke and set him to randomly do one whenever you hit play. edit: One of the things to remember about reacting to moves is that learning a character's options means you can focus on what options they actually have available. At that range you only need to think about a handful of moves with distinct startups. This especially gets easier after a few rounds with a Faust player because you get a better sense of what they personally like to do at a given range.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 27, 2021

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That goddamn poke/command throw and I-No's standing overhead are a total mystery to me. Both look not like what they are and just style on me because to me the animation is something else.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Speaking of Goldlewis, funny enough as good as that chaingun is at killing other projectiles, Zarameyuki seems to happily eat all of them for as long as it's out. Also speaking of Goldlewis, the coffin smash overdrive is invulnerable on startup, right? Another reversal super to be mindful of. I guess just assume any Goldlewis with meter on the floor is furiously spinning that stick waiting to unleash it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wow playing gold Lewis makes me feel absolutely terrible at this game

Good thing there are loads of mirrors in the park where we can mash out different behemoth moves at each other to test them out

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I was too lazy to find the tweet, but apparently someone has created a fake invoice from arc systems work showing them paying people to promote guilty gear (instead of melty blood I guess.) And SA got 12 grand. So where's that money, fess up people. How on earth is SA on the same fake invoice as tiktok, look how relevant we are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFlh1yhy-J8

ETA: The tweet: https://twitter.com/bebopaloobopawo/status/1416695656991928320

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 27, 2021

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The 12k all went to me and I spent it on a single custom 5' tall doll of that squirrel girl from blazblue

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Dracula Factory posted:

The 12k all went to me and I spent it on a single custom 5' tall doll of that squirrel girl from blazblue

why wouldn't you get a super tall one so the amazonian squirrel lady could tower above you

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

I want to be mad, but we all would have done the same

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

drat Sajam's making 89K but he still refuses to give me back my channel points after I go all in on an HnK clip.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I want to say that's so obviously fake that it's clearly a joke but I think I just need to know better than that these days. At the very least if anybody comes here to yell about it I can rest safe in the knowledge that they will be mocked and dunked on until they leave.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

It's very real and I'm spending all of it on my I-no cosplay. The hat and guitar together ran around 8k.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
That invoice is probably bigger than their real marketing budget in its entirety.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Celestial Challenge is going to be incredibly frustrating for me, I can just feel it since I've failed it three times now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Random question.

Which animal themed, orange colored, rushdown brawler that uses dual cross-shaped weapons came first, the one from Guilty Gear or the one from BlazBlue?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Random question.

Which animal themed, orange colored, rushdown brawler that uses dual cross-shaped weapons came first, the one from Guilty Gear or the one from BlazBlue?

Blazblue's was first I think. Makoto was in Continuum Shift which was 2009, though I think she showed up in Calamity Trigger's story mode. Leo didn't show up until Xrd which was 2014. Its possible he showed up in Guilty Gear story stuff before then though, I couldn't say.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Data dump shows that the next new character is Johnny Fiveaces

To get a sense of how his gameplay works in this version, imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Real datamine talk:

https://twitter.com/Lean_Buscaglia_/status/1419943705688125441?s=20
https://twitter.com/Lean_Buscaglia_/status/1419945021239959553?s=20
there are entries in the data files for voice lines vs "COS", "SLY", "JKO", and "BKN", probably meaning Happy Chaos, Slayer, Jack-O, and Baiken