Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I use delitainers for everything, they're cheap enough that if it looks like its going to be a pain in the rear end to hand wash I will just toss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

hypnophant posted:

encapsulated bottom instead of tri-ply, and the handle looks particularly cheap and will probably start wobbling. i’d spend the extra $15 for tramontina

We don't seem to have tramontina in Canada, maybe I'll just throw an all clad on my Xmas list this year. I have a big cast iron fry pan, I'm just lazy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As far as I know, tri-ply/multi clad construction is the Great Equalizer; anyone who makes it makes a decent one, none that you buy will be a big disappointment

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Nm

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 24, 2021

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Verisimilidude posted:

I had a ninja blender and it was fine, probably not as smooth as I’d like but it got the job done. For sub $100 you can’t do much better, you don’t start getting into really solid, versatile, easy to clean blenders until the $200 range. The ninja blender I had was a bit of a pain to wash, but that would be my only complaint.

Also, if you’re using mostly fresh fruit (not frozen) I’ve had one of those $15 Hamilton beach smoothie makers and it worked great for that. Can recommend it for fresh fruit smoothies (or small amounts of frozen fruit, just don’t put them in the bottom of the cup when you start putting in your ingredients).

Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna go grab that ninja blender then because your description is pretty good for what I'm going to use it for. I don't need it to be the smoothest smoothie I've ever had.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Terebus posted:

Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna go grab that ninja blender then because your description is pretty good for what I'm going to use it for. I don't need it to be the smoothest smoothie I've ever had.

Of note, the little single serve blender jar does an even significantly better job then the big main blender. I have the Ninja Professional series at home, and the main blender does a good, but not Vitamix/Blendtec level job on stuff, but the single serve just freaking liquifies anything, better than the Vitamixes I use at work in restaurant kitchens.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol why does this exist:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Because someone will buy it.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Healing energy waves for the peppercorns you're smashing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Just moved and now I have a Whirlpool electric oven, in-wall instead of under stove. God drat it holds onto steam, I think I need to crack the door often to make things actually finish roasting.

Is this typical to electric ovens, in-wall ovens, or just this model?

Update: this thing is throwing me off big time. Pizza crust and cookies get no color so it's hard to judge doneness, and the top heating element is so intense it's basically intermittent broil when using bake settings.

I never thought I was a person who might replace a working appliance, but drat unless I calibrate myself quick I might have to. I know "oven holds onto steam" is sometimes desirable but this is ridiculous

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Does anyone have experience with Whintry ice cream makers? The one I ordered just got delivered this week and the compressor doesn't seem to be engaging to actually chill my ice cream base. I'm trying to decide between returning it to Amazon and buying something else or waiting until their support comes back to me with some advice on getting the dumb thing to work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

captkirk posted:

Does anyone have experience with Whintry ice cream makers? The one I ordered just got delivered this week and the compressor doesn't seem to be engaging to actually chill my ice cream base. I'm trying to decide between returning it to Amazon and buying something else or waiting until their support comes back to me with some advice on getting the dumb thing to work.
There's this comment on the wirecutter page which doesn't bode well:

If you end up returning it, I have a Cuisinart ICE-100 and it's decent. The top cover can be a bit difficult to get fully locked into place and it has a little flap in it which is annoying to reinsert when it falls out, but neither of these things really actually affect the functionality at all so you can pretty much just ignore them, and the actual cooling/stirring work fine.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 25, 2021

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mystes posted:

There's this comment on the wirecutter page which doesn't bode well:

If you end up returning it, I have a Cuisinart ICE-100 and it's decent. The top cover can be a bit difficult to get fully locked into place and it has a little flap in it which is annoying to reinsert when it falls out, but neither of these things really actually affect the functionality at all so you can pretty much just ignore them, and the actual cooling/stirring work fine.

Yeah, I saw some reviews like that and changed my plans for desert at a dinner this week to panna cotta.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

captkirk posted:

Even if whynter has terrible support, Amazon should take it back, no?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dang did woks triple in price everywhere

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Steve Yun posted:

I paid $60 for wok in April. Should I have paid $20?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Yup, pretty much. Much like the CCK clever. :(

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
kenji is releasing a wok book

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
millennials are really into getting wok

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a lovely electric stove right now so I'm not going to even try, but I would love to do real wok cooking at some point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I have a lovely electric stove right now so I'm not going to even try, but I would love to do real wok cooking at some point.

If you have an outdoor space, propane wok burners are really nice. You can cook at the heat you need and dont have to worry about smoking up your house. I dont even use my wok indoors anymore.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I use my wok exclusively outside on my charcoal bbq. I got a cast iron grill insert for it that has a removable circle in the middle so I can get the wok right next to the heat. It rules.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The main advantage of a wok is handling really high temps right? If I'm using an indoor gas stove a non stick pot/pan will likely serve the same purpose?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You're not supposed to get nonstick pans super hot I thought?

Wok cooking is all about high heat and the tossing motion that lets you coat the ingredients in aerosolized oil.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah my assumption is my home stove isn't going to get that hot so the non stick is fine. My dad has uses both interchangeably, but he's not a professional chef or anything. I only have a non stick at the moment. Debating if I want a wok.

e: It seems like with our lack of a hood in the kitchen, it really would require an entire outdoor set up to make good use of a wok right?

bamhand fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 27, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your home stove will def be able to get a nonstick pan to 500f+, squarely in the don't huff these fumes territory

mystes
May 31, 2006

bamhand posted:

Yeah my assumption is my home stove isn't going to get that hot so the non stick is fine. My dad has uses both interchangeably, but he's not a professional chef or anything. I only have a non stick at the moment. Debating if I want a wok.

e: It seems like with our lack of a hood in the kitchen, it really would require an entire outdoor set up to make good use of a wok right?
You should probably have ventilation when cooking anything. My impression is any sauteeing is extremely bad in terms of particulate matter.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The wok shape is very useful even on my crappy apartment electric stove. More room for things and you do get some temperature control with the walls

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

mystes posted:

You should probably have ventilation when cooking anything. My impression is any sauteeing is extremely bad in terms of particulate matter.

We have a small vent thing that rises up out of our center island stove. I think it might do something for western style cooking but I don't think it will do poo poo for a wok.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah the "you need a jet burner for a wok" thing is only true if the only thing you want to do with your wok is high-temp stir fry and you don't want to have to make any adjustments to your technique.

Most of what I do with a wok doesn't even require the full output of a lovely 20k residential electric stove hob. And if I want to do ultra-high temp stir fry, that same lovely burner will still do it, it just takes longer to get up to temp and I have to work in smaller batches.

I mean if you want to go with a giant propane burner in the back yard, gently caress yeah do that. Giant loving flames are certainly a lot more fun than an electric hob. But for anyone out there thinking that a wok would be a waste if you don't have some kinda of monster burner setup, that just really isn't true.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If I have a Weber Genisis propane grill. Could I use a wok directly on that? My main concern is not smoking up the house and coating everything in a layer of grease over time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bamhand posted:

If I have a Weber Genisis propane grill. Could I use a wok directly on that? My main concern is not smoking up the house and coating everything in a layer of grease over time.
Weber makes a "Gourmet Barbeque System" grate that has a round hole in it:

I don't know how well this would work with the burner placement in the gas grill, but something similar for Weber kettle grills works pretty well with a charcoal fire.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
worst case, whack it w a separate propane flame torch thingy for wok hei

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It's been a bit since we talked about spice jars, so let's talk about my spice jars. This is my current setup - an assortment of reused and recycled jars, repurposed and mostly accurately labeled, stored in stadium seating. It's not terrible, but I'm pretty sure it's not ideal. I want them to stay in that cabinet. Any good suggestions?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I switched all my small jars to a couple Spice Stacks, and it's been pretty good. They're bulky, but use the space pretty well. You would want to measure carefully, since I have a couple cabinets that they won't fit in.

I still just have a stack of delitainers for the bigger stuff, though, so I'm interested to see if anyone has a better system there.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I have 2x the older, larger and cheaper version of this

https://youcopia.com/collections/spice-bottle-organizers/products/spicestack-adjustable-spice-rack-organizer

And love them

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
4-8oz mason jars are cheap, easy to find anywhere and most importantly are 100% rubber sealed airtight, which seems to make my spices last twice as long

Edit: mason also makes mini mason jars that are thinner and meant for spices. They are not airtight at all. Don’t buy them.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 2, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i also store my "spices" in mason jars iykwim

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i also store my "spices" in mason jars iykwim

I store my “herb” in a mason jar too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess it's your fault only drug paraphernalia comes up if I search amazon for spice grinders.