Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Conference news wise: Simplest/most likely to be believed joke: WVU has negotiated their entrance to the ACC and is just waiting for the dominoes to fall.

Second: WVU is going to the Big 10 and boy howdy do you hate Penn State.

Merge these. WVU and PSU to the ACC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Crap missed the most obvious WVU troll, the Big 12 is in negotiations to add Marshall to the conference to increase their presence in the east.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is forming a committee to review the “future of college athletics”.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/26/university-texas-big-12/amp/

The state senate has written a bill trying to keep schools in Texas from changing conferences without the state legislature’s approval. It doesn’t sound like it’ll go anywhere before Texas finishes making the switch but if Patrick and the state lege gently caress this move up then SO HELP ME :argh:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I called the guy back. Told him I didn't have anything official other than what I said earlier today. I mentioned that "off the record" WVU is already in discussions to join the ACC.

I didn't want to say anything too there so I stuck with that. I really wanted to throw in the Home Industry Bakery joke but I definitely would have started laughing at that one.

So let's hope this guy's hot scoop gains any traction.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The fake news market regarding realignment is already pretty crowded

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Texas Citizens: we need our energy grid to work so we don’t die

Texas Government: we’ve made it so you don’t need background checks or any training to carry a pistol and we’re opening an investigation and forming a committee to see if Texas football is “back.”

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh god there’s gonna be a ton of UT vs UT back and forth isn’t there?

Tennessee was a college before Texas was a state and Texas wouldn’t be a state if it weren’t for Tennessee so Texas supporters can kiss my rear end

https://www.ut.edu

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jivesauce posted:

I can't even tell if people are joking about this anymore.

It is true LSU owes Tulane a game in New Orleans but they're too chickenshit to come

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

I. M. Gei posted:

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is forming a committee to review the “future of college athletics”.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/26/university-texas-big-12/amp/

The state senate has written a bill trying to keep schools in Texas from changing conferences without the state legislature’s approval. It doesn’t sound like it’ll go anywhere before Texas finishes making the switch but if Patrick and the state lege gently caress this move up then SO HELP ME :argh:

This bill literally can't proceed right now as it is not germane to any of Abbott's topics for the special session. The next time it could be taken up and passed (absent calling a special session for it, which he won't) is 2023.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mega64 posted:

Make the broadcast team PFT Commentator and BigCat, that’s the only way it’d be watchable.

those two also suck

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

soggybagel posted:

Texas Citizens: we need our energy grid to work so we don’t die

Texas Government: we’ve made it so you don’t need background checks or any training to carry a pistol and we’re opening an investigation and forming a committee to see if Texas football is “back.”

Don't forget chicken poo poo Jim Crow 2.0 bills and hating on trans kid. They've been busy gently caress sticks down there!

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It would be pretty funny for the Texas Legislature to find some way to sabotage it to protect the interests of one state school and two private universities in state. OU would still probably leave, and the Big XII would have no room for negotiation. It would also have the (intended) consequence of functionally picking A&M as the flagship football program for the state. Texas would be playing in a conference full of schools who hate them even more, and no longer playing any rivals in football anymore. It probably won't happen for a million different reasons, but that is a fun thought experiment.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Does Oklahoma State have much pull in their state legislature?

We already know they're pissed of course, I just have no idea if they have the slightest ability to do anything about it.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Grittybeard posted:

Does Oklahoma State have much pull in their state legislature?

We already know they're pissed of course, I just have no idea if they have the slightest ability to do anything about it.

The governor is an OSU grad, if that helps

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Mega64 posted:

Make the broadcast team PFT Commentator and BigCat, that’s the only way it’d be watchable.

just put the whole rough n rowdy crew on it and it will be the can't miss game of bowl season

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I feel like this is some sort of monkey's paw thing with Houston maybe finally getting its invite to the BigXII.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

DuckHuntDog posted:

It would be pretty funny for the Texas Legislature to find some way to sabotage it to protect the interests of one state school and two private universities in state. OU would still probably leave, and the Big XII would have no room for negotiation. It would also have the (intended) consequence of functionally picking A&M as the flagship football program for the state. Texas would be playing in a conference full of schools who hate them even more, and no longer playing any rivals in football anymore. It probably won't happen for a million different reasons, but that is a fun thought experiment.

Please stop I can only get so hard

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tactlessbastard posted:

Please stop I can only get so hard

I have been fully erect since this story broke last week

I have literally been calling for Texas and OU to go SEC since A&M left. I have been praying for this move to happen and telling people it will happen for almost 10 years now, including no less than 3 times in the past 4 months. People called me insane. They told me it would never happen. And now that it’s actually happening I am a whole foot off the ground and my dick has doubled in size and is hard enough to cut steel.

I am basically waiting for the ink to dry and the move to be finalized before I just…… totally rub this poo poo in everyone’s faces. I mean get, just……… completely pants-on-head stupid about it. Just get absolutely shitfaced obnoxious about how I was right and they were wrong and I’mma drop my pants and rub my bare rear end and taint on some motherfuckers’ lips and ask em how my nuts taste

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 28, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Weird post/gantag combo, but you do you.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Shut up el penis.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I. M. Gei posted:

Just get absolutely shitfaced obnoxious about how I was right

If you think Texas looking out for Texas and not giving a crap about the Big 12 is news I feel like you're a bit behind the times?

Unless you are saying Texas was right to not jump ship to the Pac-12 when that looked like a possibility. Which is good looking out if so as it turns out.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
As a wvu fan that got to enjoy the slow spiral death of the big east and being one of that last at the table as all the good schools already got into big 10 and acc and we had to settle on the shithole big 12 with the closest team being 700 miles way, I very much look forward to the same loving thing happening we end up begging to join the AAC.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This all loving sucks for schools like WVU. They should be playing schools like Pitt and Penn State every year.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This all loving sucks for schools like WVU. They should be playing schools like Pitt and Penn State every year.

This is what made me so mad. Don't play any of our rivals.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State had scheduled Rutgers OOC for 2014 and 2015, but it never happened because Rutgers joined the conference for 2014.

Penn State has WVU scheduled for 2023 and 2024.

I think you see where I'm going here

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I don't think anyone's covered the hilarious angle of what team is going to be most hosed for the third consecutive time by conference realignment, and why that team is Southern Miss

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

It is true LSU owes Tulane a game in New Orleans but they're too chickenshit to come

It's true LSU owes Tulane a game, not so sure it's because they're "too chickenshit." But it's more the "Tulane would crush LSU" that was in the post and I see people saying elsewhere. I always assumed that was a joke but now I can't tell. I know that post was just talking about last year and, I mean, yeah LSU sucked but Tulane wasn't even particularly good for Tulane, much less compared to LSU.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jivesauce posted:

It's true LSU owes Tulane a game, not so sure it's because they're "too chickenshit." But it's more the "Tulane would crush LSU" that was in the post and I see people saying elsewhere. I always assumed that was a joke but now I can't tell. I know that post was just talking about last year and, I mean, yeah LSU sucked but Tulane wasn't even particularly good for Tulane, much less compared to LSU.

Tulane is back, baby. 1998 national champs

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
TCU, being the masters of realignment, will somehow manage to join the ACC and coast to a 9-3 record every year in the Coastal.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LSU doesn't want to play Tulane for the same reason Alabama won't schedule South Alabama, or Troy, or UAB (Ok, lol there's way more reasons they're not gonna schedule UAB).

Or why for decades Ole Miss and Mississippi State wouldn't play Southern Miss.

Big state schools don't want to play smaller I-A schools from within their state, because they don't want to give them a leg up, and they're terrified of the perennial embarrassment if a ULM/Bama or App State/Michigan result happened from within the state.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

I don't think anyone's covered the hilarious angle of what team is going to be most hosed for the third consecutive time by conference realignment, and why that team is Southern Miss

They picked a bad time to fall into the toilet in terms of on-field performance

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GD_American posted:

Big state schools don't want to play smaller I-A schools from within their state, because they don't want to give them a leg up, and they're terrified of the perennial embarrassment if a ULM/Bama or App State/Michigan result happened from within the state.

I suggest trying being way better than the other team and just shrugging and going "well that'll happen when you give up ten sacks" when your 31 game winning streak ends.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
One day Rice will beat us. And we will just laugh it off and move on with our lives and also have a total meltdown and fire the head coach.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

General Dog posted:

They picked a bad time to fall into the toilet in terms of on-field performance

It didn't help them much when they were good, but yeah.

I was curious where Jay Hopson, he who disobeyed orders from his boss and tried to hire Art Briles, ended up, and lol of lols it was Mississippi State. gently caress that motherfucker. I hope MSU goes 0-12 with him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Strobe posted:

Shut up el penis.

forever and always

GD_American posted:

LSU doesn't want to play Tulane for the same reason Alabama won't schedule South Alabama, or Troy, or UAB (Ok, lol there's way more reasons they're not gonna schedule UAB).

Or why for decades Ole Miss and Mississippi State wouldn't play Southern Miss.

One of Iowa or Iowa State plays UNI pretty much every year even though they've beaten ISU multiple times and scared Iowa twice relatively recently

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jivesauce posted:

Tulane went to bowls 3 seasons in a row. They are doing well for Tulane and beat more teams with winning records than LSU did last year. LSU won't play Tulane because the worst type of mentality from modern CFB "they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing the game." LSU continuing to dodge Tulane, despite Tulane offering to have the game at the Superdome and giving LSU a better share of ticket sales, is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard of in college football.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Trying to take anything meaningful away from last year seems pretty silly but the only even kinda good team Tulane beat was Memphis. They went 3-5 in the American they are not good just because they barely snuck into the potato bowl, sorry.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MourningView posted:

Trying to take anything meaningful away from last year seems pretty silly but the only even kinda good team Tulane beat was Memphis. They went 3-5 in the American they are not good just because they barely snuck into the potato bowl, sorry.

if only the AAC had better bowl tie ins. LSU would not have been beaten by Army last year. The same Army team could not beat Tulane. When you have to ignore games for your argument to work, it isn't a good one. Tulane would crush LSU so bad rn, their fan base would finally admit Baton Rouge smells like corndogs.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 28, 2021

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Ok, so you're not joking, and you're also crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MourningView posted:

One of Iowa or Iowa State plays UNI pretty much every year even though they've beaten ISU multiple times and scared Iowa twice relatively recently

Georgia has played Georgia Southern, UNC has played App State, so while it's not a universal dynamic it's still a common one.

Auburn played UAB (in their first ever D-I game, actually) in 1996 but never since. That's it for the big two (Bama/Auburn) and the other FBS in-state schools.

Ole Miss hasn't played USM since 1984. Miss State went almost as long but has recently started putting USM back on the schedule.

Meanwhile, the big teams will schedule other teams around that same power level (ie, Memphis, ECU, etc) but from out of state.

I'd love to see Bama forced to play UAB, but UAB athletics had exactly one prominent state legislator in their corner and he had ethics issues that hit the media shortly after becoming a pain in the rear end to the UA Board. So it ain't gonna happen.