Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well we just booked our C-section date, 2 weeks from now. We need to spend 24 hours in isolation after a covid test, and then we go. About a week in the hospital aftrr to recover, then 2 weeks in a post partum clinic. And we still don't have a name yet... gently caress it is hard to think about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Well thread, my wife and I took the thread advice of "always be bangin" a little too close to heart and I'm pretty sure we're pregnant now. Started to suspect it last week while we were on vacation, decided to wait to take a test until we got back, test today confirmed it. She's booking an appointment with her OBGYN early next week and I guess it's go-time now. I don't think it's fully sunk in for either of us lol.

Now what? To be clear, this is something we wanted to do right about now, I just didn't expect it to take so quickly since we went through an embryo freezing procedure earlier this year that was a total wash. I guess for now I try not to get too worked up and listen to what her doctor says?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congrats!

Definitely stick to the 12 week rule about telling anyone besides close family. That's also a good time to start thinking about baby registry etc

They put my wife on a thyroid supplement and had to adjust her levels several times across the pregnancy. If you already did fertility preservation you'll probably already know if she got flagged for thyroid stuff. Only reason I mention this is her mood improved dramatically once they put her on 75 or was it 7.5mg of thyroid thing but obviously that varies per person etc and I'm not a doctor

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Congrats. The big thing that perked my wife up was slow-release iron.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Congrats!! It’s totally up to you if you want to wait twelve weeks to tell people. Everyone around me knew right away because it was very obvious, and if anything happened I would rather have people know so they could support me through it.

If you’ve got a strong heart beat during your first ultrasound, your chances of miscarriage drop dramatically. Personally, I chose to wait until viability (more than 24 weeks) before I started making baby related purchases or doing any kind of preparing.

As far as “What now,” time to hurry up and wait! 40 weeks is a long time, and if you have a normal low risk pregnancy, there really aren’t that many medical appointments to attend. Just wait for that little person to grow! There are tons of pregnancy tracking apps that can be fun to follow along with.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Now's a good time to scope out the daycare situation in your area if you think you're going to go that route. Call around for rates and wait list times. Check out your state's licensing system, many will give grades based on certain criteria and that may help you narrow down your search.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Congrats!!

My personal suggestion would be, if the doc offers genetic testing (both on mom and baby), I would do it. It was a big load off my mind pretty early on to know that baby was all clear for the worst stuff. And we got to find out he was a boy pretty early!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Congrats! Seconding the genetic testing--I wouldn't be surprised if they did carrier screening on your wife when you did the embryo freezing stuff, but the NIPT they can do to test a few key things for the baby is great. Also you should go ahead and see if you'll be allowed into any of the appointments. I'm at 29 weeks 4 days and my husband hasn't been able to go to any of mine. He had to video call for the ultrasounds even.

On a different note, does anyone have any recommendations for an app that lets you track things like feeding, diapers, etc.? Doesn't need to be overly fancy, but pluses would be account syncing between parents and also not assuming it's all the mom doing it.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

C-Euro posted:

Well thread, my wife and I took the thread advice of "always be bangin" a little too close to heart and I'm pretty sure we're pregnant now. Started to suspect it last week while we were on vacation, decided to wait to take a test until we got back, test today confirmed it. She's booking an appointment with her OBGYN early next week and I guess it's go-time now. I don't think it's fully sunk in for either of us lol.

Now what? To be clear, this is something we wanted to do right about now, I just didn't expect it to take so quickly since we went through an embryo freezing procedure earlier this year that was a total wash. I guess for now I try not to get too worked up and listen to what her doctor says?

The number one stressor past 3 months or so for my wife was sleeping comfortably, so if you have a crappy mattress or a small bed, it might be good to start researching those things.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Emily Spinach posted:

On a different note, does anyone have any recommendations for an app that lets you track things like feeding, diapers, etc.? Doesn't need to be overly fancy, but pluses would be account syncing between parents and also not assuming it's all the mom doing it.

We use Huckleberry

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

The number one stressor past 3 months or so for my wife was sleeping comfortably, so if you have a crappy mattress or a small bed, it might be good to start researching those things.

This struggle is real, I'm just starting to get big enough that I'm getting uncomfortable sleeping, and our 2 year old is still reliably crawling into our bed every night - it's just not going to be tenable for much longer. I need maximum space to toss and turn without being woken up by a foot to the head and an elbow to the spine.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Emily Spinach posted:

We used Ovia Parenting and it worked really well for us.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

The giant u shaped pregnancy pillows are imperfect, but as a side/stomach sleeper they were the best I could manage from 2nd tri onward.

Felt a little guilty about taking up that much of the bed, but not nearly guilty enough to stop using it.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

BadSamaritan posted:

The giant u shaped pregnancy pillows are imperfect, but as a side/stomach sleeper they were the best I could manage from 2nd tri onward.

Felt a little guilty about taking up that much of the bed, but not nearly guilty enough to stop using it.

I also use a U shape pillow with zero guilt.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm using Ovia as a pregnancy tracker; not sure if I like it enough to continue using the brand but I'll check it out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Emily Spinach posted:

Congrats! Seconding the genetic testing--I wouldn't be surprised if they did carrier screening on your wife when you did the embryo freezing stuff, but the NIPT they can do to test a few key things for the baby is great. Also you should go ahead and see if you'll be allowed into any of the appointments. I'm at 29 weeks 4 days and my husband hasn't been able to go to any of mine. He had to video call for the ultrasounds even.

Good call on both of those. We did do some sort of genetic test prior to the freezing attempt and it all came back pretty clear, but I wouldn't mind a double-check. As for the appointments she's already sent me calendar reminders for her first ones but I'll ask about attending.

meanolmrcloud posted:

My wife is a notoriously resilient sleeper, I'm hoping that she keeps that habit for as long as possible...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BadSamaritan posted:

Yes this. I had a C-shaped pillow for my first pregnancy, and then - because we were in the middle of a move and a lot of our stuff was split up across a few countries - went for the Wirecutter recommendation for pregnancy pillows for #2. Maybe it works for some, but I've found it to be heavy, not breathable, and unwieldy. I ended up just dropping $300 on a massage pillow designed for pregnant and nursing women to use; I'm going to take up 3/4 of the bed, and I do not care a whit, because I am finally going to get some sleep.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Emily Spinach posted:

I use BabyTime, which is free (no upselling like huckleberry), does syncing (not that I could get my husband to use it, lol), and has a bunch of stats and chart options for geeks like me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We had an old school baby journal, and it traveled with the baby

We stopped using it around day 45 as the baby finally reached the "probably not gonna die if you let your guard down for 15 seconds" phase

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hi thread. My wife is giving birth in 6 weeks! First baby and oh my god there's so much left to do. She's got PUPPP and is very very itchy, so that's fun

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GoutPatrol posted:

Well we just booked our C-section date, 2 weeks from now. We need to spend 24 hours in isolation after a covid test, and then we go. About a week in the hospital aftrr to recover, then 2 weeks in a post partum clinic. And we still don't have a name yet... gently caress it is hard to think about that.

well baby wanted out a week early, plans change and all. Everything okay, I'm sitting in the post-op waiting room with half a dozen other new dads, and we're all on our phones.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Congrats GoutPatrol, glad everything worked out ok! Did you figure out a name?

Good luck CloFan!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yes, when driving to the hospital. Once the C-section began it was done in 30 minutes.

The road to recovery begins. The first time my wife tried walking she got a post partum chill and started faltering, I was able to get her to bed and cover her in blankets. Took about a half hour to subside and it was very scary.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Baby daybook is our app of choice. Persistent notification of any ongoing activity, synced notifications (she starts a sleep duration, and it shows up on my phone so I can stop it or know how long they've been asleep), and no awful interface (looking at you Glow).

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Hey folks, my wife is at 14 weeks and is wanting to keep up with exercise. She has read about pregnancy yoga but is overwhelmed from reading about it and doesn't know where to start. Do any of you have any recs on resources for that?

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

I did yoga before and during my pregnancy, only taking a break during the first trimester on the advice of my yoga instructor. There's a a good amount of prenatal yoga videos online of course, but if she's new to yoga I'd recommend taking an in-person class if at all possible. Even if it's not a prenatal specific class, a good instructor will modify the poses to fit her skill level and stage of pregnancy, and make sure she's doing things safely.

For me, yoga helped immensely with both the physical and mental aspects of pregnancy and labor, I really recommend it!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Pregnancy update: the food cravings and turn-offs have begun for my wife and oh God how am I going to feed her. She was already a picky eater!

My Shark Waifuu posted:

I did yoga before and during my pregnancy, only taking a break during the first trimester on the advice of my yoga instructor. There's a a good amount of prenatal yoga videos online of course, but if she's new to yoga I'd recommend taking an in-person class if at all possible. Even if it's not a prenatal specific class, a good instructor will modify the poses to fit her skill level and stage of pregnancy, and make sure she's doing things safely.

For me, yoga helped immensely with both the physical and mental aspects of pregnancy and labor, I really recommend it!

Thanks for this, my wife is an on-again/off-again yoga practitioner and looking for ways to keep in shape. I'll nudge her towards picking it back up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Double post because I have an actual question: I've heard that eating raw fish isn't a good idea for pregnant people, but my wife is a big sushi junkie and will not be denied. Is sushi where all the contents are cooked safe for her to eat?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

C-Euro posted:

Double post because I have an actual question: I've heard that eating raw fish isn't a good idea for pregnant people, but my wife is a big sushi junkie and will not be denied. Is sushi where all the contents are cooked safe for her to eat?

We have been reading through "Expecting Better", which is essentially a meta-analysis of concerns like this, and the data does not seem to support the idea that sushi is a particularly high risk activity. I would recommend the book to get a better understanding of 1) the overall risk posed by sushi and 2) your sense of risk tolerance given the potential issues.

Long and short though, the main risk is food born illness. Listeria is especially bad for pregnant women. Sushi with no uncooked fish should have little to no risk. But most sushi meat is flash frozen in order to kill bacteria anyways. My wife sticks with veggie sushi if we are getting it from the grocery.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, sushi with fully cooked ingredients or from a reputable restaurant should probably be fine. My midwife noted women in Japan eat sushi all the time while pregnant and they're fine. I'd just avoid gas station sushi (general life advice tbh) or grocery store sushi with raw fish.

I also don't know what gas stations have sushi, but for some reason it comes to mind. I have seen train station sushi (which I would also avoid).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Emily Spinach posted:

Yeah, sushi with fully cooked ingredients or from a reputable restaurant should probably be fine. My midwife noted women in Japan eat sushi all the time while pregnant and they're fine. I'd just avoid gas station sushi (general life advice tbh) or grocery store sushi with raw fish.

I also don't know what gas stations have sushi, but for some reason it comes to mind. I have seen train station sushi (which I would also avoid).

Add "vending machine sushi" to that list.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Yeah, just to belabor the point: Food born illnesses can be very, very bad for a developing fetus. But things like listeria outbreaks are apparently completely random. iirc Expecting Better found data to suggest that turkey deli meat is the most frequent source, and other outbreaks have been random and mostly a result of industrial food production.

So if there's a listeria outbreak in ice cream again, you're not going to do anything to prevent it. But what you can do is use common sense to avoid things that you know could get you sick. Like gas station sushi. But also gas station egg salad sandwiches. Preparation and handling is something to be particularly careful about.

(Mercury concentrations are potentially another concern with consuming fish *in general*, cooked or not. There are lists out there of mercury concentrations in common fish species that you can review and assess the risk appropriately.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Word of advice, just go ahead and order 3x of the tylenol infant stuff

For sure you're gonna go through at least one bottle, they're teeny tiny bottles
For sure you're gonna lose the second bottle, falls out of diaper bag, or leave it at grandmas house, whatever. Sleep deprived people do not function well
Third bottle, it'll be 3am and you'll really wish you'd ordered it ahead of time, rather than making the 45 minute round trip to the only 24 hour pharmacy near your house

Order a couple of the really good pacifiers (I like MAM @ $4 each), but also grab like 5 or 6 of the value-brand $0.99 ones, you do not want to be searching for the last pacifier in the house at 4am when the baby wakes up half asleep and knocks their other spare pacifier behind the crib, and if you'd just planned ahead, you could pop a fresh one in her mouth and she'd go right back to sleep, but nope, you didn't plan ahead, now she's wide awake and angry at the world for the next two hours, hope you didn't have any important meetings later this morning

Find a tracking app or buy a diary/tracking book and put it in your "go bag"

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

My wife and I have finally conceived after 11 years of trying but we've hit a bit of a snag - My wife had one dose of the Pzier Covid vaccine before we conceived and is on the fence about getting her second dose. She is worried that there have been some reported issues and she's seen me react badly to my second dose (I slept about 2 days, had a fever and achy-ness)

We're about 11 weeks into the pregnancy but unsure if we should wait for more evidence about vaccines for pregnant women or just do it? Thoughts on this are welcome

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Manwithastick posted:

My wife and I have finally conceived after 11 years of trying but we've hit a bit of a snag - My wife had one dose of the Pzier Covid vaccine before we conceived and is on the fence about getting her second dose. She is worried that there have been some reported issues and she's seen me react badly to my second dose (I slept about 2 days, had a fever and achy-ness)

We're about 11 weeks into the pregnancy but unsure if we should wait for more evidence about vaccines for pregnant women or just do it? Thoughts on this are welcome

Congratulations on the pregnancy!! As for the vaccine, DO IT. Get the shot. CDC data increasingly shows benefits for mother and baby of getting the vaccine. I got both doses of Pfizer in the first trimester of my pregnancy, and I'm so glad I did. Yes, there may be some annoying side effects from the second dose, but the benefits far outweigh the very small risk. If your wife is not normally at risk of adverse vaccine reactions, then it's worth it to get the shot. If you're not sure, talk to your OBGYN - but I will say that my GP and OBGYN both strongly advised me to get vaccinated as fast as I could once I got pregnant.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/pregnancy.html

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Do you all have recommendations on Baby Training? Wife is looking at Tinyhood, wondering if it's worth paying for vs anything else

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Not as good as the better sourced CDC recommendation posted earlier, but have an anecdote. Back when I was pregnant last April or May, my OB told me to do whatever I could to not get COVID. The week prior to that visit, he had had to emergency section one of his patients because she was in the ICU with it and had started going downhill. Mom and baby both made it, luckily. One of his colleagues, however, did not make it to a similar patient in time and they lost the baby.

She should really get the shot.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Anecdotally, I got Pfizer towards the end of the first trimester/beginning of the second, and hit 31 weeks yesterday with no problems so far. The second shot I had a very sore arm and was tired for a day, but otherwise was fine. My husband got it way worse. Hell, my reaction to the TDAP at the 28 week appointment was worse.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Another anecdote: My wife was in between doses when she got pregnant, and wasn't aware she was pregnant yet when she got dose 2. We are only about 4 months in to the pregnancy, but it's been proceeding about as normally as we would expect.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Another anecdote: my wife and I both caught COVID at week 8 or 9. Both symptomatic, both felt awful for 2 weeks. Guess what? We got JnJ the instant it was available, which was mid second trimester. Everything I've read says that the baby will get some antibodies, and it's completely worth getting jabbed. Side effects are mild in the vast vast majority of folks, and with the Delta variant spreading like wildfire, she really should get vaccinated. She's going to be in doctor's offices and the last thing you want is for her to get COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
In Ontario when they were still doing first doses by highest risk groups first, pregnancy was classified as the same priority level as (I believe) 70+ and healthcare workers who weren’t directly dealing with Covid. So not the highest priority group, but pretty far up there.

FWIW I got both doses during my pregnancy, and I’m now involved in a North American study on pregnancy/Covid vaccines, which if anyone else is interested in participating in, I can send you contact info.