Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

slightly more direct than when they were using any loud noise detected as a justification for warrantless searches in the blocks surrounding the installation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
adafruit mail call

took like five minutes of fiddlin (booted in portrait lol) but we hackin now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what shell does it use?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

what shell does it use?

powershell. its windows 10 arm edition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

powerful

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont think i understand the question?

its just raspbian (retropie, actually, thats my good gamin' machine) and i'm console fiddling for now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
hmds are still too fuckin expensive

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont think i understand the question?

its just raspbian (retropie, actually, thats my good gamin' machine) and i'm console fiddling for now

it looks like you have some ncurses thing up and i was wondering if it boots to just bash or whatever or if there's x and some barebones window manager

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

hmds are still too fuckin expensive

hmm actually they're getting cheaper. The FPV drone scene finally went digital a lil while ago and it looks like economies of scale are finally paying off

https://www.amazon.com/Version-Attitude-FSV1124-Fatshark-Receiver/dp/B08R8LSYPK

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

it looks like you have some ncurses thing up and i was wondering if it boots to just bash or whatever or if there's x and some barebones window manager

oh it normally boots straight into the retropie/emulationstation UI

which is 100% controller navigable (i have an 8bitdo snes thingamabob)

i just ctrl-alt-f1'd into a terminal and fired up htop for HACKER DEMO

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

looks like good old htop. raspbian comes with a full desktop with lxde, open box, and bash unless you grab lite, i think, then it's just bash out of the box and common utilities

edit: bopped on the htop of the head lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh neat. i'm building a deck that uses an old oculus dk1 hmd as a display, but since i need to split the display in half and mirror to the two virtual displays, i need to use x. probably going to have a video feed from a webcam as a background image and transparent console windows

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

oh neat. i'm building a deck that uses an old oculus dk1 hmd as a display, but since i need to split the display in half and mirror to the two virtual displays, i need to use x. probably going to have a video feed from a webcam as a background image and transparent console windows

we just found this and i'm hella hollerin about it

I have commited to buying nothing but materials and tools to finish the anime bike project until it is done and on the front page of kotaku because i'm in one of those ADHD states where i have 13 projects started and 0 finished, so i'm forcing myself to commit to that. but after that, let me tell u what buddy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm pretty sure that hacking up that HMD to install in a helmet wired up to some sort of device reporting vehicle information would qualify as anime bike stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and i am doing it up specifically in the style of the Rebuild films, and Asuka has an eye patch in those films

poo poo

dammit

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

based on the title

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jonny 290 posted:

we just found this and i'm hella hollerin about it

I have commited to buying nothing but materials and tools to finish the anime bike project until it is done and on the front page of kotaku because i'm in one of those ADHD states where i have 13 projects started and 0 finished, so i'm forcing myself to commit to that. but after that, let me tell u what buddy

:eyepop:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i just can't get into any of those hmds until they're just more refined. i don't want a borg implant hanging off my head. no judge for those who like them, it's fine.

to be clear i mean the ones like that picture, vr is its own thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean, it's the cyberpunk thread, it's not supposed to be stylish

building a gargoyle suit will in fact look pretty dorky, it's true

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 28, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like, we know it looks like this irl

nevertheless, they're fun projects

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anime club rap but they’re all grown up now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the guy on the far left famously pissed himself in a macdonalds in france and runs a project lab down the street from me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

adafruit mail call

took like five minutes of fiddlin (booted in portrait lol) but we hackin now

which display panel is that, that's the perfect size.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean, it's the cyberpunk thread, it's not supposed to be stylish

building a gargoyle suit will in fact look pretty dorky, it's true

oh it’s not about being stylish i mean that ship sailed long ago, it’s just i don’t like having something like that on my head. i didn’t particularly enjoy playing around with glass and i’m guessing that weighed less

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh yeah, no. that vufine eyepiece being wired is probably really quite uncomfortable since it would pull on your head slightly all the time if you don't have some kind of headsock or cowl to pin the cord on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Midjack posted:

which display panel is that, that's the perfect size.

hyperpixel 4, 4" 800x480 touch

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3578

its pretty sick

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

hyperpixel 4, 4" 800x480 touch

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3578

its pretty sick

:cheers:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i know some nerds like to bag on adafruit but we both love the company tbh. they put out neat things, have tons of support, and she’s generally a cool person

they have some new inductively powered lights that seem nutty

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they did yell at me because shipping and billing addresses were different but i sent a 'what the gently caress yo' email and they just let it through. they're still ok

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait that uses the gpio pins instead of just being a normal hdmi (or w/e) display? that seems like a waste of gpio. or am i missing something?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats the downside, this thing literally eats up every single gpio pin. the upside is you get full 30fps full res video on it. they do pass the i2c bus through so if you need anything that can do that you're still ok

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ah i see. yeah at least i2c leaves some flexibility if it's already set up

the reason i care is cause the mmdvm hat i got is gonna use my gpio pins. i should probably just get another pi for tinkering and not mess with the hotspot once it's built

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
This guy made the only useful HMD I’ve seen

https://youtu.be/50614QMNQPo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rotor posted:

keep it to yourself and serve on the jury
This. If you're not an idiot you can trivially avoid getting booted.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HMDs, as with all tech the MilSpec Money is where the big strides are being made (unfortunately). This just popped up on the Unreal Engine channel yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keBj9FNkZik

Like I'm sure developments like these will inform future non-warfighter projects, but I don't have to like how progress mostly comes from better ways to kill people.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
New name + av check

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
cyberdeck yourself before you cyberwreck yourself

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

clap for that, you bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/polly/status/1420194632894459911?s=20

duz posted:

clap for that, you bastards

Xi Jeb!ping