Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Welcome to CRITTERQUEST 2021-2023!

What is Critterquest? It's a thread to post photos of those everyday creature encounters. Ask for IDs, share cool findings, or discuss your experiences with the critters posted in this thread! Chat about critters. Learn about critters!

:siren: CAUTION: This thread will contain pictures of bugs, spiders, snakes, and other potential phobia triggers. Birds and fish and other wildlife are often shared, but little is off limits when it comes to Critterquest, including the occasional fungal mold and mystery plant.

There are only a few rules:

1. Please post only LIVING, wild critters. Identification help requests for and encounters with deceased animals may be posted, but should be linked with :nws: warnings.
2. When asking for an ID, please provide your general location. You don't need to be too specific, but even saying something like "NE United States" can be very helpful in narrowing down the possibilities.
3. Do NOT mock someone's photo quality or photography skills. There are Dorkroom threads for photography advice and discussion. Your potato camera is good enough for us.
4. Please, no house pets, domesticated animals, or zoo/captive animals unless they're part of a critter encounter.

We also ask that you limit content to photos that you've taken yourself, though sharing from friends and family is certainly welcome.

Links to past Critterquest threads:
2017-2020
2014-2015

Some related threads you may find worthwhile:
A Bird Thread
Dorkroom Bird Photography Thread
Dorkroom Macro Photography Thread
Dorkroom Pet Photography Thread
Dorkroom Wildlife Photography Thread
Mushroom Megathread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

starting us off with a super cool pic of my neighbor cardinal

and a very curious yellowjacket? from Colorado

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 26, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Cardinals are very nice.

Two friends today.

one's fuzzy, one's sleek, both are sweet.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Saw a flannel moth on my walk with the dog a few days ago

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Isn't that what the sad doot turns into?!

Maybe?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=884651
^^^ the original sad doot ^^^

okay on second thought i think they may be very unrelated, but flannel moths do have very odd-looking caterpillars

(not my picture)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

They sting the gently caress out of you too, more like mad doot.

my cat is norris posted:

and a very curious yellowjacket? from Colorado

I think the orange antennae and leg tips indicates a paper wasp Polistes dominulus rather than yellow jacket

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 26, 2021

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bucket of frogs!

My niece wanted to see how many frogs she could catch.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Reposting for the new thread.

The other night I had a nice treat. My old man spotted a cicada molting on the leaf of a decorative plant. I had only seen it in person once before when I was little, so I fetched my camera gear. It was a great spot to set up on the tripod and really pull in close.

You can see both sets of wings folded alongside here.

Completely out. Wings starting to unfold and take shape.

Wings at full size.

He/She stayed on the next leaf overnight, letting the exoskeleton harden. It took about 20 minutes from the start with just the head broken free to being completely molted. By the afternoon of the next day they were gone, off to start their adult life.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I really love these photos, I'm glad you re-posted!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm glad this thread is here!

I love seeing pictures of animals!

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Heres where three big ol birds photobombed my video, it was kinda cool they came right over my shoulders

https://i.imgur.com/hzKjexA.gifv

and heres a friendly neighborhood urban deer

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
An enormous ant-like creature jumped on my sunglasses in the park earlier today, didn't get a picture because I was busily evicting it off my face. It was at least the size of a nickel, maybe approaching a quarter or a solid 1/3 of a looney. Am I already dead? Please send help.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Enos Shenk posted:

Reposting for the new thread.

The other night I had a nice treat. My old man spotted a cicada molting on the leaf of a decorative plant. I had only seen it in person once before when I was little, so I fetched my camera gear. It was a great spot to set up on the tripod and really pull in close.

Wings at full size.

He/She stayed on the next leaf overnight, letting the exoskeleton harden. It took about 20 minutes from the start with just the head broken free to being completely molted. By the afternoon of the next day they were gone, off to start their adult life.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A Douglas squirrel, being ill-advisedly fed by my parents

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Colonel Cancer posted:

An enormous ant-like creature jumped on my sunglasses in the park earlier today, didn't get a picture because I was busily evicting it off my face. It was at least the size of a nickel, maybe approaching a quarter or a solid 1/3 of a looney. Am I already dead? Please send help.

Whereabouts are you? Any guess as to color, or if it had any wings?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

my cat is norris posted:

Whereabouts are you? Any guess as to color, or if it had any wings?

Ontario, near great lakes. The monstrous beast was black as night, wingless and elongated. At first glance I took him for a spider but it was an ant shaped body.

It's been some time, and I can't help myself but think about digging and lifting enormously heavy things. Probably nothing out of norm

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
https://i.imgur.com/fpab1D1.jpg?1

Encountered this ex-magpie on my morning run the other day. More interestingly, there were five magpies on the sidewalk around it, one vocalizing, and the other four with their heads held toward the sky. I wonder if it was some kind of funeral? They weren't eating it, in any case. I wanted to get a photo but they took off before I was able to do so.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 28, 2021

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
There are jumping spiders that are REALLY good at mimicking ants.

Here's one that's not native but has been introduced to Canada:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmarachne_formicaria

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

One of the thread rules is live critters only

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The Red Queen posted:

There are jumping spiders that are REALLY good at mimicking ants.

Here's one that's not native but has been introduced to Canada:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmarachne_formicaria

Yeah don't think that was it, mine was much skinnier and blacker. Most jumping spiders we meet here are adorable zebras

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Encountered this ex-magpie on my morning run the other day. More interestingly, there were five magpies on the sidewalk around it, one vocalizing, and the other four with their heads held toward the sky. I wonder if it was some kind of funeral? They weren't eating it, in any case. I wanted to get a photo but they took off before I was able to do so.

Be so kind as to link that image instead of posting in-line, would you, please? :shobon:

Corvids are fascinating...you can't help thinking that was some kind of ritual for them. You sent me down a rabbit-hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixYVFZnNl6s

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

my cat is norris posted:

Be so kind as to link that image instead of posting in-line, would you, please? :shobon:

Corvids are fascinating...you can't help thinking that was some kind of ritual for them. You sent me down a rabbit-hole.

I've been down that rabbit hole. I have some crows I feed in my yard, only about 5 or 6. They'll start cawing when I come outside the house to go to work, and sometimes they'll start cawing when my car pulls in after work, and I get out. They haven't been around in a while, but they're crazy awesome. If they pick up a peanut from the grass they'll walk over to the sidewalk, hold it down and jam their beak into it.

I also noticed that they tend to stay on the sidewalk instead of walking into the lawn. Unless there is food to be had!

Hard to get pictures, cause they're not comfortable enough to come if I'm outside, but I can watch them from my window. I looked it up, and technically it's illegal to feed them since crows can be considered pests, but gently caress da police. One of my friends gets about 10-15 crows visiting at once. I'm more in a straight up suburb area though, and she has woods.

All their tool using, memory, and emotions make them rad birds. I've tried to start whistling when I do feed them, to try to get them to associate the whistle with food. Because, i'm that guy on the block

Of course, I have a few squirrels that also stalk my feeding grounds. But, they're pretty cool too

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 28, 2021

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Not sure who this fellow is, but my guess was a cicada that overslept and was looking for a place to mount up and molt. Scared the crap of me by crawling up my pant leg and onto my foot while I was letting my dog out before bed.

Cute though, I think.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yep. Probably one of the regular non periodical ones.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Bird on my front step Cincinnati, OH

Mothra attacks my Oak Tree also Cincinnati, OH

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Some fish from the past year or two:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
double post for cicadas

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Gooch181 posted:

double post for cicadas

Why's this one so pale? Is it still hardening? Do cicadas come in different colors like this?!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Why's this one so pale? Is it still hardening? Do cicadas come in different colors like this?!

I believe that's how they look immediately after coming out of the pupa

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Enos Shenk posted:

Wings at full size.

oh man i need to research cicada colors

Okay, evidently the periodicals are that pale color, and the annuals are green?

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 28, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Figured I might as well post this old pale mantis pic as well. Its kinda hard to tell just from the picture, but this one was huge. Its sitting on the handle to the front door of a building.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Regy Rusty posted:

I believe that's how they look immediately after coming out of the pupa

i'm envious, when i come out of the pupa i'm usually sweating, out of breath and struggling to pull my pants back up

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

my cat is norris posted:

I would be freaked out by that mask alone. Actually, I jumped a little when I first saw it. Horror movie stuff.

I had a couple recent encounters with birds.

This guy was right outside my window a few weeks back.

Then this one got in my house just the the other night somehow.

I am no birdologist, but I think the first is a very young blue jay and the other some kind of sparrow. I'm in Northern Virginia if anyone knows better!

I also got some pretty good pictures of 17 year cicadas molting, but that seems to be covered already.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Looks like a little newly fledged blue jay for sure. What a cutiepie!

I THINK your visitor is a Carolina wren. That eye stripe is pretty distinct.

Post more cicadas, bring it on.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hm, I don't have as many good pictures of cicadas as I thought, but I did get this video:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Saw a Monarch laying eggs so I snapped a pic once she was done:

I'll come back in a week to see if I can spot some caterpillars. I'm in Ontario, so these are the ones that will fly all the way back to Mexico once they hatch.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also spotted an adult Dog-day Cicada, Neotibicen canicularis, in keeping with the theme of this thread.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've never seen some of these color patterns on them before, very neat!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I had this visit me on my porch:

Which google says is a Variegated Fritillary Caterpillar.

They were a fantastic red color, the picture does not do them justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Johnny Walker posted:

Hm, I don't have as many good pictures of cicadas as I thought, but I did get this video:

Seriously beautiful.