Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yo anyone watching rowing this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just half-checking the results and assuming GB wins most of it like I do every Olympics

e: Actual content: due to bad weather conditions rowing's been cancelled for a couple of days so we're not going to see anything until Wednesday now I believe

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rarity posted:

Just half-checking the results and assuming GB wins most of it like I do every Olympics

e: Actual content: due to bad weather conditions rowing's been cancelled for a couple of days so we're not going to see anything until Wednesday now I believe

GB men have been really underperforming expectations so far.

US Women are alive in the 8, but in the B final in both 4s. Double is going to the A final, while the LW2x and W1x are in the A/B Semi.

US Men didn't qualify too many boats, but are at least in the A final for the two they did (8 and 4).

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Watching, Italy seems to be putting up a fairly good showing as well.

M 8+ will be fun to watch on the finals.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems odd they had dumped the women’s four for a few Olympics and just brought it back this year. Kind of random.

Also next Olympics they have coastal rowing which I’m not even sure is a real sport yet.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Jeez, just tuned into a Semi-final and the Greek women were 4th by a long way and then just steamed ahead to win

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

So it turns out Jürgen Grobler really was a genius.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
poo poo, apparently some crazy conditions/monster cross-tail yesterday led to some insane results, tons of crabs, capsizing, steering errors, etc.

Men's 8 final going to be crazy though, based on those rep results.

Wonder how Romania is going to do against the US Women's 8 in the final. Seems like they held it together well enough to get a WR time, although I'm sure the 20mph tail had something to do with it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anyone know if the boats are standardized for the Olympics? Also, they all seem to be using outriggers with a single arm and no braces, is that just what’s state of the art now? Our club team boats are not that fancy,

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

smackfu posted:

Does anyone know if the boats are standardized for the Olympics? Also, they all seem to be using outriggers with a single arm and no braces, is that just what’s state of the art now? Our club team boats are not that fancy,

There's a standard FISA hull shape that a few manufacturers use but no there isn't an official standard board. Everyone is just mostly in empacher's because that's what they've always used every though they are made in a pretty old school way (wet layup). You'll see a few fillipi's (white boat with blue stripes) but that's about it. Carbon wings are pretty standard now, they are more aero and look cooler. In theory they are slightly stiffer too and the bow mounted versions are supposed to transfer power better.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Rarity posted:

They've won nothing lol

Also, :australia:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

dsriggs posted:

They've won nothing lol

I meant to post that in the cycling thread but I steered wrong and ended up here

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

There's a standard FISA hull shape that a few manufacturers use but no there isn't an official standard board. Everyone is just mostly in empacher's because that's what they've always used every though they are made in a pretty old school way (wet layup). You'll see a few fillipi's (white boat with blue stripes) but that's about it. Carbon wings are pretty standard now, they are more aero and look cooler. In theory they are slightly stiffer too and the bow mounted versions are supposed to transfer power better.

Thank you, without knowing the right search terms I was only finding super generic intro to rowing articles.

We have a lot of Vespolis around here since they are local but I guess they are pretty far out of fashion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

Really starting to regret this post :negative:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Rarity posted:

Really starting to regret this post :negative:

Kiwis pop out of nowhere as usual. Gold for Emma Twigg! And I’m winded just watching her.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So happy she got gold after getting fourth in the last two Olympics.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

my dad reminded me to watch this race when i was talking to him on skype earlier but i missed it while being wholly distracted by the steeplechase (seriously what is that event???). just watched it now though, super impressive!! i will try not to get distracted by track & field again for the rest!

edit: barefoot is legal

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Really enjoying the commentary on the endless medal ceremony for the eights.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

smackfu posted:

Really enjoying the commentary on the endless medal ceremony for the eights.

Finally it's done. Though seeing how tiny the coxes are compared to the tall powerful rowers was fun, like take your child to work day

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

My Shark Waifuu posted:

Finally it's done. Though seeing how tiny the coxes are compared to the tall powerful rowers was fun, like take your child to work day

take your child to work and throw them in the river

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Kiwis pop out of nowhere as usual.

Woo!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I enjoyed when the BBC got the head of GB rowing in to explain why he poo poo the bed

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The LW2x final had 1 second between first and 5th place, with one of the boats catching a crab in the last 2 strokes, was that the race of the regatta or was there a more exciting race I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

We got a gold 🇧🇷 :toot: