Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
hi im obsessed with what people are cranking it too, could you please tell me a list of things, and i will categorize them as for / not for cranking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
no this is normal, don't make it weird.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The collection of all things that are not for cranking.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ultrafilter posted:

The collection of all things that are not for cranking.

If you crank it to the list of things that are not for cranking you unlock the minus world.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does a set of all crank material include itself

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Hwurmp posted:

does a set of all crank material include itself

Yes, but that list, including itself a 2nd time, goes into the non-crank list. We don't metacrank

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Boba Pearl posted:

hi im obsessed with what people are cranking it too, could you please tell me a list of things, and i will categorize them as for / not for cranking.

You can crank it to whatever you want but if you're confused why Anime Booby Idol doesn't have enough plot and in-depth character writing idk what to tell you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mrmcd posted:

You can crank it to whatever you want but if you're confused why Anime Booby Idol doesn't have enough plot and in-depth character writing idk what to tell you.

you honestly suck

i was describing what made the stuff in the game uniquely uncomfortable to me, and you go "anime masturbation" or whatever the gently caress and like it both trivializes the issue and just makes it about some cheap own. you don't care.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1591530/SAMURAI_WARRIORS_5/

Has a demo!

quote:

A new SAMURAI WARRIORS begins. After a 7-year wait, a new instalment in the tactical action series "SAMURAI WARRIORS" is finally here!

quote:

Warriors veteran here. Been playing since Dynasty Warriors 2 on the PS2, 20 years ago? This is a return to form for the series. Very happy with the game so far. This series really needed a reboot and they did it right. Highly recommended. If you're put off by the "5" in the title, don't be, this is a complete reboot from the beginning and all characters have new movesets.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1476800/Existensis/

quote:

Existensis is a game made entirely from visuals that were drawn/animated on paper by Ozzie Sneddon.

You are an artist, known to the world as "The Mayor", and you are planning your greatest creation; A tower that represents the journey of life.
But you can't seem to be satisfied with any of your designs, no matter what you try. So, to gain inspiration, and to seek the meanings of life and death, you've set off on an artistic pilgrimage across the world.

Inspiration will guide you across many branching paths, explorations taking you through colorful cities, hidden settlements within old forests, vast libraries, deserts of ash, and so much more. There are no enemies to speak of in Existensis, nor health bar, fall damage, or time limits, so you can expect to enjoy a peaceful pilgrimage across the colorful world of Eré!

Features over fifteen unique hand-drawn areas to explore at your leisure!
A wide cast of colorful characters to follow the stories of!
Branching paths and multiple endings!
A vast and vibrant fantasy world with its own history and lore!
3-4 Hours of hand-crafted content!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

mrmcd posted:

Stop.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
people have made some really thoughtful posts in this thread and have spent a bunch of time posting their interesting thoughts about new games. the thread is really cool and fun to read because of them!

try to be more like these people, and help keep this thread awesome, thank you!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Fuga: Melodies of Steel released today.

A turn-based jrpg where you plays as a group of 12 furry anime children going on an adventure to beat the evil empire in their mysteriously acquired ancient superweapon tank.
And from time to time you tragically and permanently sacrifice one of the children's lives to fire the tank's ultimate weapon: the Soul Cannon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7rffeZQZ5s

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A turn-based jrpg where you plays as a group of 12 furry anime children going on an adventure to beat the evil empire in their mysteriously acquired ancient superweapon tank.
And from time to time you tragically and permanently sacrifice one of the children's lives to fire the tank's ultimate weapon: the Soul Cannon

:stare:

There is an achievement for never firing that cannon right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zil posted:

:stare:

There is an achievement for never firing that cannon right?

Unless it's one of the couple with no descriptor, no, seemingly not

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

oh this gives some major ideon vibes, especially that video

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

a steam reviewer says you can complete the game without turning a child into a bomb or however the game characterizes it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Cowards.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
looks like rocket slime

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Omno just released, after being kickstarted three years ago - https://store.steampowered.com/app/969760/Omno/

It's a very chill exploration/light puzzle game, with some platforming, excellent movement mechanics, and a really pretty aesthetic. It's on Steam and Game Pass and I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.

Pretty picture:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Metal Slug: Rocket Childcare.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Starbase (Early Access)

quote:

Starbase is a hybrid voxel/vertex-based space MMO with a fully destructible and infinitely expanding universe, with a focus on building and designing spaceships and stations, exploration, resource gathering, crafting, trading, and combat.

Single persistent Universe - Play and interact online with thousands of players and start shaping the world with your fellow robots.

Build, fight, chat and group up with other players to discover and settle the vast galaxy that is waiting for its first conquerors to make their mark.

Mine asteroids by yourself, trade and haul cargo with your friends, or build a station with a huge company.

The environment in Starbase is fully destructible, made possible by a mixture of voxel and fracture damage - Everything can be destroyed or disassembled with the right kind of tools and weaponry.

The in-depth physics simulation enabled by hybrid voxel/vertex-based game mechanics make fights, exploration and flying spaceships a creative paradise

The simulation of structural and elemental durability in the game adds its own twist and challenge to the efforts to conquer space; poorly designed superstructures combined with overpowered steering thrusters can snap the spaceships in half if cutting corners too much in a space race.

Design and build your spaceship, stations and devices down to the tiniest detail, and live the spaceship designer dream by selling your blueprints.

The smallest building unit in Starbase is a single bolt, allowing you to build, repair and modify spaceships, stations, and devices as you wish.

Even the smallest ships have thousands of parts, each with their own detailed damage model, making building and designing a truly creative process.

Learning to use the in-game programming chips will take building and designing to a new level; innovation, automation of ships and creating clever ship layouts will make all the difference!

Engage in seamless FPS and spaceship combat with thousands of players simultaneously.

Fly solo or crew up with others to divide roles and responsibilities.

Explore the infinitely expanding universe, and discover stations, asteroid fields, spaceship wrecks, social hubs and fellow travelers.

Arrange an exploration mission with friends and find out what's hidden in the depths of space and the faraway moons

Beware of pirates and unknown dangers when venturing into the uncharted territories!

Starting station safe zones safeguard the new player experience

Dynamic safe zones configurable on player-owned stations

Developer-lead faction Empire provides protection and security

Starbase is developed with Frozenbyte’s internal game engine that is custom-built for conquering space, enabling the use of extremely challenging combination of voxel and vertex technologies in the game. The modern engine has been built specifically with Starbase in mind and the engine’s architecture is designed to handle all the quirks of simulation, damage, building, player amounts and the ever-growing universe to match the challenges the ambitious vision of the game can pose. Similarly, all features of the game have been developed with the infinite scale and the creative freedom of the players in mind.

Starbase has been in secret development for five years without restraints and the development will continue until the game’s bold vision is achieved.

Sounds pretty cool, like a Space Engineers/EVE Online hybrid although I'm gonna wait awhile before paying $31 for an early access space MMO

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290350/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Out_for_Blood/

quote:

Vampire: The Masquerade — Out for Blood is a 455,000-word interactive horror novel by Jim Dattilo, based on Vampire: The Masquerade and set in the World of Darkness shared story universe. Your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

You’ve barely settled into your new home of Jericho Heights on the outskirts of Chicago, before discovering that vampires live in town. You’re struggling to start a new life, meet new people, and maybe even find love. But when your neighbors start disappearing, you’re forced to take action.

Take on the role of a vampire hunter to save your town from the influence of Chastain, a vampire more than a century old. When a group of young thin-blood vampires start a war with Chastain, will you choose sides, or hunt them all?

Gather your forces and sharpen your stake to take back the night!

Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, or bi.
Choose from classic VtM attributes and skills to build out your character.
Meet an ensemble cast of dynamic characters each with their own skills.
Enjoy 17 character portraits.
Romance other characters, either human or vampire.
Hunt vampires, study their ways, or try to be Embraced.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390670/Escape_from_Naraka/

Escape from Naraka is a 3D platformer/parkour runner from an Indonesian developer featuring Balinese-themed temples and enemies. Reminds me quite a bit of that Devolver one that came out recently except these are all handcrafted I think and don't have that 'only one person can win each temple' thing going on.

quote:

Escape from Naraka is a first-person action platformer with exotic Balinese themes. Taking huge inspiration from Balinese legends and local mythologies, the game makes you platform your way through a nightmarish temple. Every level will challenge you through several themed stages, each of which giving you new trials to complete. You will have to master the arts of dodging and timing to be able to survive! What are you waiting for? Wishlist now and challenge yourself!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1416760/BARK/

B.ARK is a side-scrolling arcade shooter with hand-drawn art for up to 4 players.

quote:

Help a heroic team of pets in mechs take back Earth in this exciting Saturday Morning Cartoon inspired shoot em’ up for both new and hardcore players.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1108590/Eldest_Souls/

Eldest Souls is a 3/4 view boss rush/'soulslike' game with challenging combat and RPG elements to choose your combat style. Very nice art.

quote:

Fast-paced and brutally challenging, Eldest Souls is a unique Boss-Rush soulslike experience. In a final act of vengeance, the Old Gods have unleashed a great Desolation upon the world. Mankind's only hope lies with a lone warrior… and his greatsword of pure Obsydian.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/827330/Skydrift_Infinity/

Skydrift Infinity is an arcade plane racing console game from 2011 that is getting a Windows port. Not sure if it's a remake, remaster or port really but whatever it is, it's available now.

quote:

Skydrift Infinity is an action-packed arcade game focusing on the experience of flying alone, and with others, in a light, quick, fast-paced style.

You hear that? It's not only light and quick, but also fast- paced! lol

Also The Ascent came out today, but everyone's heard of that one by now I think.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Play posted:

Skydrift Infinity is an arcade plane racing console game from 2011 that is getting a Windows port. Not sure if it's a remake, remaster or port really but whatever it is, it's available now.

You hear that? It's not only light and quick, but also fast- paced! lol

The original is also on steam, I played it way back and it was a pretty good fun acradey plane racer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Re: The Ascent, I was pleasantly surprised to see it is on the Xbox game pass pc (don’t know if console too) and was trying it out. It’s amazing looking and really impressive how detailed everything is. It does have some performance issues though with hitches on my 8700k/rtx2070 on an ultrawide monitor so I will probably reduce the Rez and fiddle with settings.

Really solid playing action title with a fantastic cyberpunk look. Reminds me of Ruiner but I like it better so far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1549750/Vomitoreum/

BIAS: I backed the kickstarter for this!

quote:

Vomitoreum is an FPS Metroidvania with a focus on atmosphere and horror, inspired by the paintings of Zdzisław Beksiński.

quote:

Grotesque pixel art to bring these wretched demons and hellscapes to life.
Atmospheric world inspired by Zdzislaw Beksinski's Paintings.
Challenging but fair gameplay.
Movement and mobility that consistently re-contextualizes previously explored areas.
Minimalist combat encounters, focused on "moment-to-moment" encounter design.
A vast and interconnected world.
Secrets and environmental story telling around every corner.
World-building and lore, hidden within the cracks and crevices of the world.
Challenging bosses to test the player's limits.

e: god I love this art style!!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 30, 2021

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Play posted:

Also The Ascent came out today, but everyone's heard of that one by now I think.

This game is so good and so pretty

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

This game is so good and so pretty

It is absolutely gorgeous, visuals and sound definitely the best part of that game. There are some things I'm not crazy about so far I discussed n the steam thread, like POV being too small, enemies potshotting you out of sight from offscreen, and just generally the combat not feeling so incredible. Also too much walking and backtracking.

That being said the amount of effort put into the presentation is incredible, the story and setting is fantastic so far and that's enough to keep me plugging along for now. I do hope to find some more interesting guns soon as well.

Skydrift Infinity is also pretty fun and looks decent, but I think would only really be fun against human opponents not AI. Fuga left a very positive impression from the 45 minutes I put into it, gonna play that a lot more tonight.

Thank god it's Friday, so many recent games I'm trying to hack my way through.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Play posted:

It is absolutely gorgeous, visuals and sound definitely the best part of that game. There are some things I'm not crazy about so far I discussed n the steam thread, like POV being too small, enemies potshotting you out of sight from offscreen, and just generally the combat not feeling so incredible. Also too much walking and backtracking.

That being said the amount of effort put into the presentation is incredible, the story and setting is fantastic so far and that's enough to keep me plugging along for now. I do hope to find some more interesting guns soon as well.

Skydrift Infinity is also pretty fun and looks decent, but I think would only really be fun against human opponents not AI. Fuga left a very positive impression from the 45 minutes I put into it, gonna play that a lot more tonight.

Thank god it's Friday, so many recent games I'm trying to hack my way through.

Agreed, the limited POV is pretty annoying. There is at least the radar thing but when they are shooting at you from offscreen that sucks.

All the teeny details in the background and foreground just has me absolutely captivated when not in a firefight, it’s fantastic to look at.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Agreed, the limited POV is pretty annoying. There is at least the radar thing but when they are shooting at you from offscreen that sucks.

All the teeny details in the background and foreground just has me absolutely captivated when not in a firefight, it’s fantastic to look at.

Towards the beginning, the first story mission from the main city as you cross over into the area where you can use your gun and this speeding ship smashes into the bridge causing it to collapse I was just sitting there watching it for like a minute lol

I wonder if it'll get enough play for a thread

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Play posted:

Towards the beginning, the first story mission from the main city as you cross over into the area where you can use your gun and this speeding ship smashes into the bridge causing it to collapse I was just sitting there watching it for like a minute lol

I wonder if it'll get enough play for a thread

I hope so, I haven’t played enough yet to know if there is a lot of depth to the loadout options but it might be a good thing to discuss.

One thing I kind of don’t like too is whenever you pick an item like clothes up it just puts it on, or maybe I long pressed X too much.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

priznat posted:

I hope so, I haven’t played enough yet to know if there is a lot of depth to the loadout options but it might be a good thing to discuss.

One thing I kind of don’t like too is whenever you pick an item like clothes up it just puts it on, or maybe I long pressed X too much.

That's what it is. For a while I thought you had to hold x to pick up anything but it's just that holding X auto-equips

One thing that kinda surprised me is that each gun model is a particular gun model, they can be upgraded to the next mk with resources but you can't have two guns that look the same but have all kinds of different random stats, I kind of appreciate that simplicity.

New game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1187840/Vesper/

Vesper is a very beautiful puzzle stealth platformer thingy with an android character.

quote:

Vesper is a new inspired take on classic 90’s atmospheric platformers, with an emphasis on stealth and modern puzzle mechanics. Seven is a small android, lost on an eerie planet full of perils and traces of an ancient civilization - with no powers and no ability to defeat enemies until he finds the Drive Gun, a weapon used to absorb lights, create darkness, and control minds.

Frantic chases from relentless machines force you to take decisions in the blink of an eye. Hide from your pursuers and sneak through enemy lines to reach your objective. Use the Drive Gun to absorb light from various sources and create dark spots in which you can hide.
Inject absorbed light into machineries to open portals and activate deadly traps.

Control your opponents with light and dispose of them after have exploited their abilities. Take control of your destiny and decide the future of the Android’s race.

Play fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 30, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016800/Chernobylite/

Chernobylite is coming out of early access and getting a full release. I've heard it still has some bugs, but I've been a little intrigued by this one. Mostly a shooter but has some crafting/base building stuff, team management with your companions, as well as some minor RPG elements.

Picked this up and the graphics are pretty amazing in a lot of spots. It's like they have vegetation that looks so lifelike, then you look over and see a lightbulb and it's made of like 10 polygons and .. uh. It seems kinda unique with needing to go on daily missions to get food, supplies, stuff to bring back to your base after the mission then you can use those supplies to craft items, ammo, upgrades, and you keep repeating hoarding stuff. The atmosphere is pretty great so far and I'm not far in it AT ALL yet, but a buddy who is much further really enjoys it also.

I'm a sucker for all the Chernobyl youtube videos where people sneak in and vlog it all. It's such a cool place to sneak around in.

It feels like the devs saw this video and modeled all the cool poo poo they go to into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGPjj4B_jEk

I sat through this for the entire 2.5 hrs completely enthralled.

The main character looks a bit like Shiey, and the game has one of your guides named Anton, who is also the guide named Anton (Bad Cat) in this video as well. :3:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

priznat posted:

its very pretty, however it literally deletes your save games, or just deletes your items, including your cyberdeck, rendering a character useless. Do not buy it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its very pretty, however it literally deletes your save games, or just deletes your items, including your cyberdeck, rendering a character useless. Do not buy it.

Yeah l hit a spot where I can’t complete the storyline quest, all the sub missions are complete but nothing else appears!

Game has some fun bits but probably needs a patch. I got it through xbox game pass but yeah do not buy yet.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

priznat posted:

Yeah l hit a spot where I can’t complete the storyline quest, all the sub missions are complete but nothing else appears!

Game has some fun bits but probably needs a patch. I got it through xbox game pass but yeah do not buy yet.

I like it enough to have played through some irritations, but I just picked up a cyberdeck that somehow downgraded my ICE level, for example, which cuts off stuff I'd gone back to pick up. I'm going to wait to go back to it. It could definitely stand more QoL. Also, some odd decisions around balancing weapons, lack of information about armor, damage type and penetration, other stuff like that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Huh, I haven't hit that issue yet. Played The Ascent quite a lot this weekend and I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I was at first. Once you start branching out in the combat it's more fun, getting used to using cover and your various enhancements is pretty crucial and feels good when you get it perfect. I still don't like how often you have to run for minutes on end and how confusing the fast travel system is, but I'm liking the quests and the combat and man it never gets any less gorgeous, ever location and element looks incredible.

When is that bug supposed to happen, any particular spot? I think I'm nearing level 20

Anyways, new games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123050/GRIME/

GRIME is a combat-heavy metroidvania, maybe you could call it a soulslike metroidvania. I played the demo and I think it looks good but I'm wondering how much new it does. I do like the surrealist character/enemy models and environments.

quote:

Destroy... Absorb... Grow... GRIME is a fast and unforgiving Action-Adventure RPG in which you crush your foes with living weapons that mutate form and function, and then consume their remains with a black hole to strengthen your vessel as you break apart a world of anatomical horror and intrigue.

An unusual material collapses in on itself, the world shudders and contracts, and suddenly you are squeezed into existence. What awaits you is a world unknown, alien in its own familiarity, and you must survive what terrors you face. Explore your surreal surroundings, absorb the many enemies you encounter, and use their own traits against them as you let yourself become far more than you once were.

GRIME lets you play to your preference, upgrading only those traits you feel most suited to your unique style. You’ll find there is more than one way to break open an enemy as you move through a variety of evocative environments, meet their inhabitants, and discover the source of their madness.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1552080/Deepest_Chamber/

Deepest Chamber is a roguelike deckbuilder with an edgy, dark aesthetic. Played this demo too, it was fine I guess but there's so many of these to play and I'm not sure this one stands out much. At least it's pretty cheap.

quote:

Deepest Chamber is a single player deck building card game with roguelike elements, that is set in a dark fantasy themed world. The player is tasked to overcome an increasingly challenging descent into the murky depths of a dying medieval city. Build your deck from a mix of different classless ability cards, scrounge for handy consumables or ancient powerful trinkets and uncover the story of an array of mysterious characters who can prove to be either friends or foes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1494470/BUSTAFELLOWS/

quote:

A new visual novel from the legendary eXtend! Mixing dangerous romance with murder mystery, BUSTAFELLOWS is a steamy noir mystery that will make you shiver but ask for more!

Visual novel about hot dudes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519550/Rebellion_Gaia/

e: has a demo

quote:

The worlds first conspiracy theory "truther game" made by truthers for truthers!
If you know 911 was an inside job, the banks are an organized global crime gang, the media lies constantly, our governments have been sold off to the highest bidder decades ago and you're starting to suspect something is not right about the pandemic narrative??? Then you will love this story.
If you're looking for the latest graphics and fast paced action you are in the wrong place!
This game is a not for profit revenue raiser for activists, independent journalists & researchers.
If you just wish to watch the 100min film made from the game content then you can find the MP4 inside the game folder downloaded from steam.

[...]

Swear word free and its control and game play are basic enough for almost anyone to play.
90% of game profits go directly to voice actors, not for profit organizations and activists within our game, for the full list visit our website.
each voice actor is an independent journalist and truth speaker of various fields including, banking, finance, hidden history, suppressed science, spirituality, and all forms of activism.
In an age of tyranny if you want to keep free speech alive and support independent journalism then buy this game to support the truth.
you may recognize a few truth speakers voices as you adventure through the world. You wouldn't consume the mainstream media so why buy a mainstream game. Rebellion Gaia is a from of education via a novel fictional story. All satire is conducted within fair use, see full disclaimer see our website.