Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Gnossiennes posted:

next week i'm gonna try to get four people to agree to a folder/file naming convention

i know acab but considering how far you'll have to go to pull that off i'm thinking i might have to call the fbi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
filename business insights

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

the process documentation thing has needed to happen for a long time, as evidenced by my ability to do it wrong for literally 6 years. i am also trying hard to not just be the process police so i'm trying to keep the naming convention pretty loose and only push on folder naming/organizing but tbh i'm betting most of that is gonna be thrown out of the document

i really sucked rear end at my job last year, and i'm trying to suck less at it and make myself useful lately :smith:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

President Beep posted:

lol booooooring!

yah

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

qirex posted:

there's an entire sub discipline of product management/design known as "HiPPO management" [highest paid person's opinion] and working around capricious/dumb executives

I feel like this is why A/B testing really took off. It was a methodology designed to implement every idiot's decision simultaneously.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

next week i'm gonna try to get four people to agree to a folder/file naming convention

normal people:
asd, asdfsa, asdfsadfsadf etc.
äöl, äöälä, äöläläöl etc.
purists:
asd, asdasd, asdasdasd etc.
sociopaths:
asd, asd2, asd3, asd4 etc.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

normal people:
purists:
sociopaths:

what

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

sociopath spotted

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

normal people:
purists:
sociopaths:
Phew, I guess I'm a normal person.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PIZZA.BAT posted:

sociopath spotted
turned your monitor off, eh?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gnossiennes posted:

this poo poo is so goddamn important, good luck

itll be easier if you show up with 3 or 4 ones already devised, even if 1 or 2 are ones you want and the others are whammy choices

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

we auto generate folders with a convention for a bunch of teams from a system and I had a long conversation yesterday with someone who was like "I had no idea what the system did so I just created my own folders somewhere else"

idgaf to be honest. We're trying to buy a new system to replace NFS shares so we can at least lock down the ability to create/gently caress with names whenever you like, but can't get any agreement on which system people want (iManage or Netdocuments for anyone who deals with DMS tools)

there was one guy that was storing all his personal tax returns on the network shares at one point lol

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 29, 2021

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
imho don’t but any that starts with “i”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

if you haven't worked with someone who stores everything in the Recycle Bin, count youreslef lucky

i'm supposed to "put files in Teams*" but i'm just saving them in my Micro Soft The One Drive because they took are network shares away :bahgawd:

*) I have literally no idea what this means, or if it even means anything at all?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i'm supposed to "put files in Teams*" but i'm just saving them in my Micro Soft The One Drive because they took are network shares away :bahgawd:

*) I have literally no idea what this means, or if it even means anything at all?

yeah network shares are going away because no one wants to pay for/support local storage anymore in tyool 2021 and teams gives every account a free terabyte. teams and onedrive are integrated

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i'll be honest here: i have no idea how to do anything with/in Teams, and I feel physical discomfort whenever i try. bring back lync/skype/whatever it was called.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I use both and I prefer teams to slack for actual work business, for random chats slack is fine but having stuff like the file repository makes teams real good. its outlook integration on the mac is straight garbage though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

seriouspost: software "integration" is always counter-productive

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

possibly, but of course entirely obligatory for a thing like teams to succeed, not only does it need to work with onedrive, it also needs to work with sharepoint pretending to be onedrive, and likely a bunch of other adjacent things i've forgotten or never even heard of.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

qirex posted:

I use both and I prefer teams to slack for actual work business, for random chats slack is fine but having stuff like the file repository makes teams real good. its outlook integration on the mac is straight garbage though

i am insanely pissed off about each channel in teams having a wiki and a file repo. if that functionality was at the "team" level so i didn't need to check 5-6 random channels for the thing im looking for I would be totally on the same page as you

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

spaces should not be legal characters for file/folder names

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I had a fun one the other day.

Linux has a file name limit of 255 characters.

Turns out this isn't characters, but bytes.

Guess what happens if you write code that checks for that length in characters, but does so in UTF-8....

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

a few jobs ago the shared drive was always on the verge of being full cause every senior manager and director and admin kept a copy of every 25 meg presentation that went in front of the committee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
took friday and Tuesday off, hello extra long weekend! starting it off by ordering some great take out pizza and watching Garth Merengi's Darkplace

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

another joyous civic holiday

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

graph posted:

yeah network shares are going away because no one wants to pay for/support local storage anymore in tyool 2021 and teams gives every account a free terabyte. teams and onedrive are integrated

lol we use a network share, ain't no way i could get my team to switch for our stuff. that would be way too many bridges too far

i regularly save iterative rendering files :unsmigghh:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
so glad chat is irreparably broken when you try and copy a ``` block out of teams, you either get too many newlines or no newlines

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

jesus WEP posted:

i’m okay with this.

also words should be separated by underscored sothatyoudontgetstufflikethis

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

that applies more to filenames tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

why? works fine

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaggar posted:

why? works fine

yeah I dunno linux people should be used to escaping characters so having to escape spaces shouldn't be difficult

hell most shells autocomplete filenames with spaces in them by escaping them so you don't even need to put in any effort

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im just so tired of having to put everything in quotes is all

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
"ope, just gotta wedge in some quotes here" - me, every two lines of my shell script

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

why?%20works%20fine

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

rotor posted:

im just so tired of having to put everything in quotes is all

better\ than\ the\ alternative

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i use tab completion in powershell and it puts quotes around the filenames with spaces for me

that said i use all lowercase letters with dashes for most of my filenames and i'm not sure when i started or why

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Cold on a Cob posted:

i use tab completion in powershell and it puts quotes around the filenames with spaces for me

that said i use all lowercase letters with dashes for most of my filenames and i'm not sure when i started or why

same, except zsh and snake case

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Slippery Tilde
lol good job opening 'er up and getting rid of the color tier system, gavin

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol good job opening 'er up and getting rid of the color tier system, gavin

since he's gotta deal with the recall election there is also 0 chance anything locks down at the state level again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Shaggar posted:

why? works fine

I copy a lot of stuff in and out of s3 on the CLI, and there's no autocomplete on the remote files, so escaping/quoting gets to be tedious when I just want to copy-paste something. It works fine outside of that but I get cranky about that particular use case.