Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Can't believe this game got made honestly (in a good way). Anyone else pick it up? I'll miss the battle system from the first game, but basically everything else about that game was good, too, and still seems to be present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i just atarted 1 so i won't be playing this for a while op, although 1 kicks rear end

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

1 is amazing. Are you playing on 3DS? Combat's still cool on the ports but the original has gotta have one of the coolest dual screen gimmicks I've ever seen

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah, i got a ds copy, the combats super overwhelming but i'll get there. i think ive got to pay no attention to the top screen for a while and just let autoplay do it

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fungah! posted:

yeah, i got a ds copy, the combats super overwhelming but i'll get there. i think ive got to pay no attention to the top screen for a while and just let autoplay do it

hte combat tries to trick you into thinking its complexx but really just end up mashing left or right to control the top screen depending on where the enemies are while you sort of control your guy at the bottom

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

strong memories of fighting kitaniji on ultimate difficulty with my HS crush controlling the top screen while I controlled neku on the bottom

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

anyway enjoy one of the most banger soundtracks in all of gaming OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfrLAzL-IY

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

anyway enjoy one of the most banger soundtracks in all of gaming OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clfrLAzL-IY

If the new soundtrack is anywhere near as good as the original I’ll be forced to buy it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

strong memories of fighting kitaniji on ultimate difficulty with my HS crush controlling the top screen while I controlled neku on the bottom

Holy poo poo.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Right on. Both hands being necessary in battle was my favorite aspect of the first game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This game is loving cool. I'm on day 5 and only now is the combat system really starting to click, it feels button mashy at first but eventually you realize you're much better off by managing the pin cooldowns so they synergize with each other's effects. I like how new gameplay systems keep unlocking what feels like every 5 minutes.

Also even though it's still got the linear structure of the first game theyve included side quests with some really interesting and worthwhile rewards and it seems like the main story missions themselves are a little more open than TWEWY. Like on the last one I did there are a bunch of little puzzles to solve and quests to do in order to fight the boss as usual, but you can also just go fight a very hard version him before finishing any of those, and each one you complete weakens him a little

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

Like Like on the last one I did there are a bunch of little puzzles to solve and quests to do in order to fight the boss as usual, but you can also just go fight a very hard version him before finishing any of those, and each one you complete weakens him a little

love games that do this...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

This game is loving cool. I'm on day 5 and only now is the combat system really starting to click, it feels button mashy at first but eventually you realize you're much better off by managing the pin cooldowns so they synergize with each other's effects. I like how new gameplay systems keep unlocking what feels like every 5 minutes.

Also even though it's still got the linear structure of the first game theyve included side quests with some really interesting and worthwhile rewards and it seems like the main story missions themselves are a little more open than TWEWY. Like on the last one I did there are a bunch of little puzzles to solve and quests to do in order to fight the boss as usual, but you can also just go fight a very hard version him before finishing any of those, and each one you complete weakens him a little

drat, now youre talkin my language

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

In Training posted:

love games that do this...

IT youve played the first one right? I don't remember. Definitely dont recommend starting with this one for anyone who hasn't, the story picks up as if the first game came out a year or two ago and you remember it clearly, which is really funny for a sequel to a game from 2007

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

IT youve played the first one right? I don't remember. Definitely dont recommend starting with this one for anyone who hasn't, the story picks up as if the first game came out a year or two ago and you remember it clearly, which is really funny for a sequel to a game from 2007

Yeah I played it like 3 years ago. I loved it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

idk what the actual correct answer for which partner to use in 1 is but Joshua > Shiki > Beat

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Nagi is cool

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
oh yeah, joshua

was having the protagonist befriended by a coy grey-haired gay boy who's secretly an angel an Evangelion reference, or is that just something that the japanese think is normal?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Cubone posted:

oh yeah, joshua

was having the protagonist befriended by a coy grey-haired gay boy who's secretly an angel an Evangelion reference, or is that just something that the japanese think is normal?

Why can’t it be both?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Julius CSAR posted:

Why can’t it be both?

gently caress you

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

is the switch port of the first game good?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frenz posted:

is the switch port of the first game good?

It’s not great. It’s a port of the iPhone version so the combat is extremely simplified but there’s some extra story stuff I guess? it also cannot be stressed enough that you can only play it in portable mode; the docked controls are unbelievably terrible

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

honestly I’d recommend just getting the iPhone version, it’s the same worse gameplay than the original but you don’t have to bring your switch everywhere and can see all the art on glorious Super Retinatm displays. they also put out a
compatibility update for it like last year so it works on basically any device

both versions have the expanded soundtrack which, admittedly has some bangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR21fAU0WH4

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I think playing on an iPad or iPhone is the next best thing to DS but DS is still highly preferable. I can imagine it being kind of awkward in an emulator too but I've never tried

NEO is getting pretty tough after the first week, I'm trying to stay on hard mode but this chameleon noise boss can gently caress off

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

does the extra story stuff from the later releases matter in the new game? I played the DS version at release and have probably forgotten most of it but I'll be very sad if the plot picks up after the loving iPhone port or whatever

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

does the extra story stuff from the later releases matter in the new game? I played the DS version at release and have probably forgotten most of it but I'll be very sad if the plot picks up after the loving iPhone port or whatever

At least as of the second week I feel like the game assumes you played the first game but also assumes it's been a decade and you don't remember every bit of esoteric plot stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

goferchan posted:

At least as of the second week I feel like the game assumes you played the first game but also assumes it's been a decade and you don't remember every bit of esoteric plot stuff.

p much this. it does bring up poo poo exclusive to the switch port in week 3, but it also provides enough context that you can get away with not having played that version of it