Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

text editor posted:

yeah I got introduced to those vids here and I really liked his vids in those gaming influencer serial pump and dumpers. also caught from the last vid they are/were heavily utilizing Binance's "coin" to move funds into/ out of these scams and pay off each other

I just finished that FaZe series, yeah that was really interesting. It's not like i had any work to do today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Collateral Damage posted:

A cryptographically signed immutable ledger could be a useful tool. There are better ways of achieving that than using blockchains though.

Reuters: Amazon denies report of accepting bitcoin as payment

At this point Oracle now has a "blockchain" table in its latest database release which uses the same type of cryptographic signing to verify all the data and make it immutable. So at this point that leaves the distributed aspect as the only remaining unique feature for actual blockchains.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean, Github exists, if we're all about cryptographically signing entries.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DerekSmartymans posted:

The Lightning Network, though, is actively stupid. Someone thought this up and let other people see it. It’s so stupid it has no real world analogy.

It sort of does: the UUCP email network common in the 1980s. This is when we didn't have DNS, so instead of sending email to bob@example.com, you'd need to map out the complete path to bob by hand, e.g. somemachine!ucbvax!kremlin!thefrigginmoon!portal!well!example!bob - "bang-path" email.

The network was basically a random mesh of machines with variably usable phone-line connections - sometimes a TrailBlazer modem running at a blistering 19,200 bits per second. If you were in Australia, all your messages were flown over weekly from the US on a tape.

The world's most motivated computer scientists and timewasting students could not solve the mathematical problem of random-point-A to random-point-B in a mesh.

The closest solution was a monthly map of the whole UUCP network, so you could work out your email paths.

It sucked rear end stupendously. The second that DNS and SMTP were in place, everyone moved to that, because gently caress UUCP.

Anyway, that's the particular very dumb and bad idea that LN thought would be a simple matter of programming, even tho it would literally require new mathematics.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Juul-Whip posted:

it's a good point someone made earlier that if buttcoin will usher in a new era of universal economic fairness and an end to inequality, then there's no need to invest early, as even the latest adopter will be blessed by it, equally as much as the early adopters. Right??? so really, the best strategy is to be a nocoiner until such time as that happens

I mean, this is explicitly spelled out in the drat bible.

quote:

20 For the kingdom of Satoshi is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

7 They say unto him, Because no man hath hired us. He saith unto them, Go ye also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive.

8 So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first.

9 And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny.

10 But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny.

11 And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house,

12 Saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.

13 But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

14 Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

A penny is pretty cheap for a days work.

*That's the King James version. American Standard Version says shilling and the original said Denarius, which was a day's wage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

divabot posted:

Anyway, that's the particular very dumb and bad idea that LN thought would be a simple matter of programming, even tho it would literally require new mathematics.
I'd use the opposite mathematic logic if I were them. We can't program a fix to the travelling salesman to automatically get an equitable lightning network with minimum captured capital. But the free market has been self solving travel through meshes for time immemorial and you can't mathematically prove that it isn't an efficient solution so might as well call it problem solved.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

zedprime posted:

I'd use the opposite mathematic logic if I were them. We can't program a fix to the travelling salesman to automatically get an equitable lightning network with minimum captured capital. But the free market has been self solving travel through meshes for time immemorial and you can't mathematically prove that it isn't an efficient solution so might as well call it problem solved.

so punting it == problem solved

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's in the wiki, it's already as good as complete

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’m sorry, but you are wrong. Look up (I don’t have a link because it was a couple of years ago) the Lightning Network. Not its claims, not its number of transactions, but the actual systems it “works” with. Please. If you believe in the laffchain at all, please look it up. The whole “coiin is a battery” poo poo is just wishful thinking, and any 6 y/o economics student (first graders learning about money) will tell you it’s silly and doesn’t work like that.

The Lightning Network, though, is actively stupid. Someone thought this up and let other people see it. It’s so stupid it has no real world analogy. It’s kinda involved and nonsensical, which is why I don’t explain here itt. It’s even more convoluted than RPG inventory rules, tabletop or video games. “I’m an invisible rogue sneaking around while wearing 8 backpacks and carrying 600 stackable bearskins and 200 fish dinners because I haven’t been back to sell in town yet! I also have a coin purse with 100000 platinum pieces to buy an undead horse with black armor!” It has to involve magic somewhere, because even if it took over tomorrow, nobody would use it. It’s almost like getting a store credit card, at every individual place you shop, and if you don’t have a credit card with a high enough limit, you must get a second account with an entirely new card to pay the $0.64 in change or it simply won’t accept your purchase and you get your original rejected payment as another credit card and brand new account to leave the store with. For everything you buy. At each place you do business.

If you think that’s stupid, here’s the kicker: I’m not making this up. I’m not exaggerating the unwieldily, except it’s electronic instead of physical cards. That’s not lying at any point. You must open a network “channel” with every entity you wish to do business with, and a new account with them if you need to pay a bit more. In advance. Even for poo poo like a Starbucks inside a Walmart. I hope you remembered to open a channel with Starbucks this morning because you can’t immediately use your leftover $12 balance on the Walmart channel to use. That is a “private” ( :lol: ) matter between you and Walmart.
Now. which is dumber? Seriously. This is the selling point of the Lightning Network. The speed and ease of use will drive adoption over the world. And this is on top of all of Bitscoin’s problems as a currency/commodity/battery/“value” (lol).

:bitcoin:

That's slightly incorrect. If you just had to establish contract with every entity and prepay them, there would be no need for a network, you could just communicate directly with the entities you're paying.

No, the network part comes in when you don't have a contract with someone and the network has to find a way to "forward" your payment to them via others that do have a contract with the entity. And that is where the "let's just assume P=NP" thing comes in, and routing in that kind of network is just hand waved away.

There's also the fact that if you have a contract with someone, your client has to be online 24/7 just so that if the other party tries to prematurely close the channel and steal your money, you can go "nuh uh" and contest the closure. So if your computer is down for half a day, better hope that Starbucks or whatever doesn't feel like emptying your account.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
wouldn’t lightning network just inevitably lead to Visa and Mastercard-like networks (but worse in all ways, of course)

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
a highly insecure one, maybe, due to individuals ability to steal from it with little accountability

gruff wild west frontier lawman voice: looks like we gotta give you the ol' SCAMMER TAG

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Darth Brooks posted:

A penny is pretty cheap for a days work.

*That's the King James version. American Standard Version says shilling and the original said Denarius, which was a day's wage.
The modern equivalent would be "a hundo" I'm guessing

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

To be fair I don't think he was trying to say it was GOOD at other things, just that blockchains are not only limited to their function as a ledger for cryptocurrency transactions.

It's a completely unimportant distinction for most of the discussion here, but in the context of AWS hiring for a "blockchain" expert as opposed to a "cryptocurrency" expert, it's important. It highlights that actually they're more interested in the immutable cryptographically signed ledger side of things than the Bitcoin side of things. And that can be achieved in incredibly efficient ways with old tech like others have said (AWS for example would just use private keys for signing rather than proof of work, the decentralisation doesn't actually matter for basically all potential applications of blockchains).

In other words there was no reason for anyone to assume this was crypto related at all, but of course they all did and lol. Here we are.

You are correct. I just enjoy making the crypto-curious read about the Lightning Network because that’s that’s the actual origin of, “It can’t be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong!”

Currency of the future!!!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

divabot posted:

It sort of does: the UUCP email network common in the 1980s. This is when we didn't have DNS, so instead of sending email to bob@example.com, you'd need to map out the complete path to bob by hand, e.g. somemachine!ucbvax!kremlin!thefrigginmoon!portal!well!example!bob - "bang-path" email.

The network was basically a random mesh of machines with variably usable phone-line connections - sometimes a TrailBlazer modem running at a blistering 19,200 bits per second. If you were in Australia, all your messages were flown over weekly from the US on a tape.

The world's most motivated computer scientists and timewasting students could not solve the mathematical problem of random-point-A to random-point-B in a mesh.

The closest solution was a monthly map of the whole UUCP network, so you could work out your email paths.

It sucked rear end stupendously. The second that DNS and SMTP were in place, everyone moved to that, because gently caress UUCP.

I am just old enough to be computer-literate in 1990 as a freshman in High School. I missed that whole thing, because I remember having my very first “really good friend that is a real person I’ve never met but still talk to almost forty years later” on cmd-line irc and pine for email.
Just like here on SA :coffeepal::cawg:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ymgve posted:

That's slightly incorrect. If you just had to establish contract with every entity and prepay them, there would be no need for a network, you could just communicate directly with the entities you're paying.

No, the network part comes in when you don't have a contract with someone and the network has to find a way to "forward" your payment to them via others that do have a contract with the entity. And that is where the "let's just assume P=NP" thing comes in, and routing in that kind of network is just hand waved away.

There's also the fact that if you have a contract with someone, your client has to be online 24/7 just so that if the other party tries to prematurely close the channel and steal your money, you can go "nuh uh" and contest the closure. So if your computer is down for half a day, better hope that Starbucks or whatever doesn't feel like emptying your account.

Tbh I am not surprised I bungled part of it, because I was going off the top of my head because I refuse to allow something so stupid into my brain again (the reason I put off the “research” to the uninitiated in the first place). You are correct, and I appreciated Gerard’s flavor-text about an early glance in computer history that also is directly germane to the topic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

divabot posted:

Pathalias (https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/pathalias.paper.pdf) and the UUCP Mapping Project eventually helped make this less painful. Still required too much coordination and manual mapping.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

so punting it == problem solved
That's the beauty of working with node pathfinding. If it works even 95% of the time you claim success and noone can argue because math can't prove poo poo.

Well the 5% can complain but you can probably get the 95% to shout them down.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DerekSmartymans posted:

You are correct. I just enjoy making the crypto-curious read about the Lightning Network because that’s that’s the actual origin of, “It can’t be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong!”

oh wow. Where's the original?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Look whether you're pro-bitcoin or anti-bitcoin, there's one thing we can all agree on. Bitcoin is poggers.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

:leavemtg:

magusperivallon
Jul 25, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snorch posted:

I skimmed the megapost, and it's very vague on how exactly bitcoin would undermine major financial institutions. Society will always gravitate towards trusting institutions, it's just that in butt world they're called new things like Tether and Binance.

It undermines financial institutions on a few levels but the main point to understand is John Nash's concept of asymptotic ideal money. Bitcoin meets the requirements for asymptotically ideal money in that it is both attractive for hoarding (it only needs to be as good as a commodity like gold) and a can ultimately be a measure of quality of other currencies. More importantly, Bitcoin's inflation approaches zero, asymptotically over the next hundred and forty years or so. As Bitcoin grows in value, it becomes easier to see the quality of currencies like the USD, which in comparison are not good due to targeted inflation of around 2% (although inflation is currently a few points higher due to various economic factors related to the pandemic). In other words, Bitcoin becomes a magnet for money as users will choose a better quality of money to protect long term value. Nash's whole point is that, what's the difference in the transfer of utility between say a Zimbabwe dollar and the euro? Seems they both do a good job right? Well, not unless you look over long time, it quickly becomes obvious. In the US, we also look over long time, often within a lifetime and can see that the quality of the transfer of utility of the dollar is not good. Good, in this case is measured by its ability to maintain the integrity of a contract, according to Nash's concept of ideal money. Bitcoin versus USD is the same thing, just look at long term value of Bitcoin and long term value of USD over the same period. Also, because inflation is generally unstable with USD, it actually adds uncertainty. Because, even though the Fed aims for 2%, it has not done a very good job at hitting it consistently on an annual basis. By observation, it seems that short-term profit generation makes more sense under these circumstances, too.

Interestingly, I think the whole point of ideal money (or in this case asymptotically ideal money), is to make it easier for cooperative games with transfer of utility to be possible. This seems like the ability to come to agreements would be more efficient with a Bitcoin currency than under our current monetary systems. It is also fair to point out that Nash was not outright calling for a new currency that could dismantle existing systems, however, his section on Machiavellian analysis is worth a read, if you want a real sense of how he felt about our current institutions.

Assuming the process happens faster than the banking system (especially the central banks) can adjust, then USD becomes worthless in comparison. The pressure from an ideal money on non-ideal money is downward inflation based on Nash's writing in the 2009 paper. Of course, this presents a problem for the central banks because increasing rates to curb inflation at the wrong time would mean that one of many poorly placed dominoes would fall, causing another financial crisis. This is why the Federal Reserve generally only threatens rate increases, which it currently pins on near full-employment (this has not been met yet). Even looking historically post-2007 crisis, it has been difficult for central banks to role back low interest rates and QE policies, in fact when the US finally did (I think circa 2016), Europe could not. Even after the US did curtail the program, the economy was in trouble again in 2019 and I believe it was in August 2019 when the 2yr-10yr spread inverted (negative), which is historically a foreshadowing of a recession a few years down the line.

You mention Tether and Binance, and yes, there are people who are fine with custodial services, but my thesis is not based on whether new custodial services form. The only thing that matters is that they form outside of the existing monetary system.

snorch posted:

Also there are enough other viable solutions to these problems that Bitcoin is just clunky and hard to maintain in comparison.

I am not sure what you mean by "Bitcoin is just clunky and hard to maintain in comparison". In comparison to what? Bitcoin works extraordinarily well given that it has no central authority or regulations from external agencies.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The fact that the vast vast majority of trading in bitcoins is actually trading in bitcoin-shaped tokens on an exchange's database, never going anywhere near the blockchain?

With all of the massive disadvantages associated with that, that customers ninetheless prefer because actually trading using the blockchain is so painful?

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Sir this is an Arbys drive thru

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Gini coefficient of Bitcoin and other blockchain networks demonstrates the design is already slavery to plutocracy.

Bitcoin is bankers attempting crypto feudalism.

The game mechanics of blockchain networks encourage any means of propaganda to manipulate rubes into buying into artificial scarcity.

Blockchain is a cancer spreading doom cult and it’s going door to door, asking for donations.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

magusperivallon posted:

I am not sure what you mean by "Bitcoin is just clunky and hard to maintain in comparison". In comparison to what? Bitcoin works extraordinarily well given that it has no central authority or regulations from external agencies.

Except almost nobody actually uses Bitcoin, but rather trades off-chain on exchanges, which function as both central authorites for all the holdings they manage and can "regulate" your trading in any way they want.

So how can you say it works when it is so inaccessible that almost nobody except big players even touch the actual blockchain?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

buttcoin

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a little poopy baby

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 30, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

take your meds

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

poor lil late adopter seraph, dredging yospos archives and carving himself into pieces with jealousy at us goons who knew about crypto in 2010 and correctly surmised it was rat poison squared and didn't contract the brain disease

what's worse: that we knew before you did, or that we didn't become coiners and don't regret it?

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
"Food has no intrinsic value"

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a little poopy baby

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

server hosting has no intrinsic value either, since SA lives in your head rent-free

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a little poopy baby

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Cryptoracle posted:

Correct. If you're an autotroph, food is useless to you. Again, the universe is a big place. It's deeply humbling to consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, it doesn't revolve around us.

What's worse is how foolish you're going to feel when I dredge this post up in five years. I hope you're still reading these forums on July 30th, 2026.

Congratulations, you got me; I'm an autograph

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Do you really need to be told that meme quotes aren't responses?

These aren't arguments you're posting, they're images and words thrown up like a squid sprays ink.

Though after a certain point it's pretty impossible to get through, since pretty much the entire bitcoin community runs on buzzword-filled walls of text that everyone pretends they understand until they've tricked themselves into believing it makes sense.

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a little poopy baby

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a little poopy baby

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cryptoracle posted:

^ that ain't me btw

Consider whether I'd need to lie about this, what with my ~120 and counting accounts.

If your goal is to have an open and fair environment for discussion, you should unban this person.

It is you, moron. Take your meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptoracle
Jul 30, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a little poopy baby