Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

TheFluff posted:

here in Sweden everyone's yearly taxable income is a matter of public record and you can look it up with one of several services for less than a buck if you know someone's personal number (which is your birth date plus four digits and not a sensitive identifier in itself). despite this we still do the whole circus with not naming numbers. even if you did look someone's income up you could never talk about it; that would be rude and weird. lovely employers probably abuse this to lowball.

a recruiter tried to strong arm me into naming a number by casually dropping this fact. it keeps popping up from my subconscious, usually when I try to fall asleep.

it’s my jerk store moment.

for closure, I did end up taking the job for a decent number and proceeded to tell my new boss how terrible my experience with this recruiter was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Its not necessary and a bad idea to lie in the interview/hiring process. For one, the reason you're lying is because you're too stupid to create a positive, truthful...or at least truthy...spin on reality. You don't have to be forthcoming about everything they might want to know, but don't lie. Just figure out the myspace angle for your career. Second, once you lie its out there forever and if it ever comes to light that you were lying from the start it will cast a shadow on you.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 29, 2021

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
*me, mid drawing a "1" in front of some numbers on a recent paystub*: they're wrong, this feels legit

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kernel Sanders posted:

a recruiter tried to strong arm me into naming a number by casually dropping this fact. it keeps popping up from my subconscious, usually when I try to fall asleep.

for closure, I did end up taking the job for a decent number and proceeded to tell my new boss how terrible my experience with this recruiter was.

the only correct response to some dipshit recruiter casually dropping that fact is casually dropping it's also public information to tweet @ the company telling the world their recruiters do this to candidates

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kernel Sanders posted:

what the gently caress, but also well done

recruiters are scum. i've never had one sink quite that low myself.

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the only correct response to some dipshit recruiter casually dropping that fact is casually dropping it's also public information to tweet @ the company telling the world their recruiters do this to candidates

:emptyquote:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RokosCockatrice posted:

*me, mid drawing a "1" in front of some numbers on a recent paystub*: they're wrong, this feels legit

big

energy

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Kernel Sanders posted:

"If you think you can get meaningful data from public sources then I'm not going to do your job for you, but I'm still not willing to share private information at this time"

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

The biggest jerk store moment that keeps me up at night was playing a game of katan or whatever and one of my friends asked "well do you have any sheep (or whatever)" and the other friend looked at his cards and casually stated, "I"m not willing to share that information at this time". It felt like an anime betrayal to be explicit about keeping incidental information secret, but this apparently super common in game theory (and why my other friend is the one who regularly wins these sorts of games).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.idealist.org/en/nonprofit-job/3f3c42000ccf4d2fac7f958d863cc839-executive-director-free-software-foundation-boston

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

competencies: picking feet and eating in public

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just remembered that rms opposed annual raises for fsf employees because he thought if instituted they would eventually earn infinity dollars

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

I just remembered that rms opposed annual raises for fsf employees because he thought if instituted they would eventually earn infinity dollars

what’s inflation?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well how are they gonna be able to afford raises if they give the software away for free??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

its factually true and when we're all immortal this post is gonna look really stupid qirex

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Corla Plankun posted:

maybe I'm reading this wrong but it sounds like you were helping people for free on their forums and so they want to hire you into support? It seems likely that that is going to pay terribly and i would never in a million years expect someone to move from support to development, but i could absolutely see slimy hiring people dangling that as a carrot to get you to accept a bad-paying support job

just interviewed

"so i notice on the application you talk about CS people moving to other teams, is that something you're serious about?"

"yes absolutely, i was just in a 1 on 1 with one of my team leads talking about where all of her team members want to go, it isn't just some hiring fluff"

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i mean, I'm hoping for the best but saying that in an interview is the definition of hiring fluff

if i were you i would put something on your calendar for when you expect to be moving up/laterally and have a plan for if it doesn't turn out.

also please don't think this is a comment about you specifically or anything. I have been burned by a few employers in the past for similar bait-and-switch stuff and I'm just trying to make sure that everyone knows that mgmt can literally say whatever they want (as long as it isn't horny or related to insider trading or crime or whatever) to get you on the hook and you need to be ready for things to not pan out how they say.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Corla Plankun posted:

i mean, I'm hoping for the best but saying that in an interview is the definition of hiring fluff

if i were you i would put something on your calendar for when you expect to be moving up/laterally and have a plan for if it doesn't turn out.

also please don't think this is a comment about you specifically or anything. I have been burned by a few employers in the past for similar bait-and-switch stuff and I'm just trying to make sure that everyone knows that mgmt can literally say whatever they want (as long as it isn't horny or related to insider trading or crime or whatever) to get you on the hook and you need to be ready for things to not pan out how they say.

oh don't worry, i know

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but i think buff has already said that they are ok even with what they are on paper being hired into, which would make this conversation largely academic.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but i think buff has already said that they are ok even with what they are on paper being hired into, which would make this conversation largely academic.

like i wouldn't want to do this long long term, but they're in a growth period rn and if they're legitimately serious about the team changing long term, then it's a fantastic spot for secfuck positions

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm going nuts waiting to find out how my all day interviews on Tuesday went. "We'll get back to you in one or two weeks" is going to be a long, long wait.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RokosCockatrice posted:

I'm going nuts waiting to find out how my all day interviews on Tuesday went. "We'll get back to you in one or two weeks" is going to be a long, long wait.

man that sucks, at least my turnaround from today is next Wednesday at worst

best of luck though fellow interviewee, rooting for you

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 30, 2021

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

been putting out cover letters and CVs for similar remote positions, just got a :toot: interview :toot: next week after putting about a half dozen in for jobs that seemed to be with companies that weren't complete poo poo. looking at 20% raise over current TC

time to ace this fuckin thing. i'm so ready to be remote. currentjob is a joke requiring all FT employees to be onsite 4 days/1 day wfh, yeah nope not doing it for computer touching

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
amazon recruiting letters are wonderful levels of form letter robot

quote:

Hi [RecipientFirstname RecipientLastname],

I hope you and your family are doing well. My name is [RecruiterFirstname] and I support talent acquisition for Engineering Teams at Amazon. I came across your profile on our database and would love to consider you for Recruiting Engine. Our organization offers you the chance to interview once and be considered for all engineering teams across the company.

We are hiring for Software Development Engineer roles in multiple locations including Seattle, Bellevue, California (North & South), Virginia, Texas, Massachusetts, Colorado, Michigan, Minneapolis, Tennessee, New York, Oregon, Arizona and New Jersey.

If you are interested, please let me know. If not, feel free to refer a friend or colleague.

THANK YOU, {RECRUITING ENGINE PERSON}. MY FAMILY and I HAVE BEEN DOING -VERY WELL-

THANK YOU FOR COMING ACROSS MY PROFILE ON DATABASE. I AM GLAD TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ALL ENGINEERING ROLES ACROSS COMPANY. I WOULD LOVE TO SOFTWARE ENGINEER IN SEATTLE BELLEVUE, NORTH CALIFORNIA, SOUNT CALIFORNIA, VIRGINIA TEXAS. MASSACHUSETTS, COLORAD MICHIGAN MINNEAPOLIS: TENNESSEE. NEW, YORK, ORGEON ARIZONA AND NEW, JERSEY.

i am not interested. i have neither friend, colleague, nor feeling of freedom

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

really good first interview with company, was an hr phone screen that was scheduled 30-45 but went over by twenty minutes, always a positive thing

we briefly discussed compensation without saying a number as the rules dictate and was asked "does that pay band seem ok? we weren't sure if it was too low or not and we can adjust it up" and I hope there's a video clip of my eyes widening when that was said

never say a goddamn number

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

aeflux posted:

really good first interview with company, was an hr phone screen that was scheduled 30-45 but went over by twenty minutes, always a positive thing

we briefly discussed compensation without saying a number as the rules dictate and was asked "does that pay band seem ok? we weren't sure if it was too low or not and we can adjust it up" and I hope there's a video clip of my eyes widening when that was said

never say a goddamn number

I take it the number they said was higher than the number you would have said?

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

CarForumPoster posted:

I take it the number they said was higher than the number you would have said?

yeah Colorado equal pay act requires companies to disclose pay band/starting pay/hourly rate etc in job postings. some companies are telling people from here now to not even bother applying

I was content with what was in the posting but going to go high now

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

searching for that on twitter has some real dumbass takes about people living in the state here being at a disadvantage because of it. lol i appreciated it as I could filter out some pure garbage postings real fast

e: like this post!!!!!!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

aeflux posted:

lol i appreciated it as I could filter out some pure garbage postings real fast

100%

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

aeflux posted:

yeah Colorado equal pay act requires companies to disclose pay band/starting pay/hourly rate etc in job postings. some companies are telling people from here now to not even bother applying

I was content with what was in the posting but going to go high now

yeah there's occasional recruiters who will ghost me when I ask what the salary range is [similar law in california] but gently caress them

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Feeling real nervous about my top choice here. They said 1-2 weeks to get back to me after we finished all interviews, and it's been 8 days. I sent a "thank you" note two days ago to no reply.

Come on folks this is what I want to do with my career, stop making me sweat!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

RokosCockatrice posted:

Feeling real nervous about my top choice here. They said 1-2 weeks to get back to me after we finished all interviews, and it's been 8 days. I sent a "thank you" note two days ago to no reply.

Come on folks this is what I want to do with my career, stop making me sweat!
work off that nervous energy by sending out more job applications (seriously)

opt
Oct 10, 2007
i have about 8 years experience doing software dev and have applied to a few places with job descriptions very similar to what i do now and haven't gotten any responses which makes me think my resume isn't juiced enough to get through the automated resume filtering. whats the typical rate on applications (to mostly big tech companies) to at least phone screen/hackerrank/whatever?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

depends but with that exp if there's a matching posting you should at least be getting a reply to your applications. i have a similar exp level and if I applied to a place with a fitting posting there's probably a 75% chance they call me back for at least a phone screen. ymmv though I live in a tech hub

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just turn on the linkedin recruiter bait switch and let them come to you

opt
Oct 10, 2007
its only been 2 weeks with that switch activated on linkedin but haven't had too much luck, i replied to recruiters from aws and microsoft and never heard from them again which was very :confused:, other recruiters have been for ai and blockchain start ups which is a hard pass

is there a worthwhile resume review service or something along those lines or should i just be patient with the recruiter game?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just post it here

opt
Oct 10, 2007
https://imgur.com/a/xKx4uYq

first 2 images are the resume, the 3rd image was the fancy latex version that I started with but some resume scanner thing i tried couldn't parse it (content is the same though).

since i redacted the company names it may not be clear but i started at company 1, went to company 2 which was a local startup for like 8 months, decided it wasn't for me and went back to company 1. right before the pandemic i got promoted to "solutions architect" at company 1 which is essentially this company's version of principal engineers (without paying like it).

opt fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 4, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The 2nd version does look a lot better. Lead with your skills, a recruiter reading is just trying to match the buzzwords on a resume to the ones on the job posting. they don't really know what they are or what they mean a lot of the time so if they need someone with java, python, and asslib and you have those all listed right at the start of your resume it gives them a pavlovian pleasure response because it makes their job easy. You could probably have less detail in your job duties as well, at least for roles many years ago.

looks pretty good overall though, I don't see anything that would turn me away from calling you

opt
Oct 10, 2007
thanks for taking a look, i'll make those tweaks and keep at it then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

agreed with PokeJoe, generally

go name, skills, experience, side projects, education

your resume isn't terrible or anything and i don't think it's a problem, so it's kinda yak shaving. but i'd trim down how much you talk about the actual job duties 'cause nobody's gonna read it anyway. this is especially true for stuff that's older than a year or two