Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Audience 1 (Turn 2)

Before the official corronation was even complete the Court descended into madness as Dukes and Courtiers frantically made their plays for power and position.

Katarina Bell and Gang Yeang are no more, one enjoys a nice retirement on Sicilly while the other discovered a sudden allergy to air.

The newcomers and the shuffling change the balance of power in the court. House Saturn emerges as top dog for now and interestingly the average competence of the ministries generally increased.

The Audience!

The Empress will hear your petitions now. Dukes! Make your petitions and bids using the Empress's Favor you have collected and prepare your next political moves in the court. (If you are taking over fleets consider having your top Admiral give it orders) Admirals consult your houses and prepare orders for your fleet (Jossar and Innoccent Bystander.)

While the Dukes prepare we have other matters to atend to.

Taxes are reduced to spur planetary development and improve the mood of the populace. Frivolities like Imperial palace expenditures and the Diplomatic corps are cut and the money poured into Astro-Engineering and Defense spending.

Our fleets currently lack proper command and control capabilities so scientific investment focuses on developing a new cruiser class.

Speaking of fleets...

Zygmunt Palawak, Admiral of the second fleet has a few too many at a champange reception and makes some unwise posts on Space-Tweeter regarding the uh, physical wonders of the Empress's genetic engineering.

She is not amused.

The aptly named Innocent Bystander will soon be Admiral of the Second Fleet once he stops having nightmares about the snakes. (This was to clear out a truly dreadful admiral and demo how the summon/political officer/fire sequence works.)

The offficers of the Ninth Fleet narrowly escape a similar fate, vast resources are poured into outfitting the screens for the lumbering battleships and the Empress warns the Officers they are on thin ice, she expects the fleet to be combat capable soon. (The 9th Fleet "Empress's Own" will remain under my personal command until someone does a fire Admiral action on it. This may annoy the Empress.)

Finally we have progress on the storyline threads. I will take these decisions myself as there isn't much to vote on.

Imperial Decisions

Decision 1

Here we go, every Empress needs a ridiculous project.

Xenocides posted:

10,000 points. It converts Terra into a Megacity. You can host fewer industry types but it gives a big increase to population cap and makes it a rich source of taxation. You also get over 100 prestige for completing it if I remember right. It is a lot.

Imperial Battle Station. It takes 20,000 points. Every 15 turns its jump drive recharges and you can send it to any planet in the Empire. It provides a LOT of fighters and heavy fighter to that system for combat and to every adjacent system. It also has a gun that you can fire at any planet controlled by a primitive civilization. It wipes out all life on the planet, turns the planet into a barren planet, and gives heavy radiation for 10 years/turns (no colonizations) and radiation penalties for 100 turns. A fun toy.

Hive Mind Inhibitor. It also takes 20,000 points. Once built no more Hive Minds spawn. This heavily neuters the Hive. Best built early.

Decison 2 - Missing Equipment

A) +10% Rebel readiness (It is currently at 23%, at 100% the Rebellion starts.)
B) -2% Rebel readiness, 5% chance of -1 loyalty on all officers.
C) All vice Admirals are fired, 10% chance of -1 loyalty on all officers. note, the new vice admirals generated by this will all be unaligned.

Decision 3 - Corrupted Governors

A) All Governors with 8+ Corruption are fired.
B) All Governors with 8+ Corruption are fired. All Courtiers with 8+ corruption have a 50% chance to be fired.
C) +$6000 to Imperial coffers, (this is about 4 turns income).
D) 20% chance of +1 Loyalty and 5% chance for corruption +2 for all Governors.

Diplomatic decisions

Decision 4 - The Narwog question
An opportunity has arisen with the Narwog minor nation (light purple worlds) adjacent our northern border.

We can:
A) Be diplomatic. I will move the diplomatic stance for Narwog to Tolerant, take a +diplo espionage option, promote trade (greater future income) and work towards a truce.
B) Take military advantage. Diplomatic stance will be set to Crusading and I will take an offensive espionage option. The 9th Fleet will move to campaign against the Narwog.

Background on the Major nations of the Galaxy:

All the Major nations have significantly more planets, industrial capacity and ships than us at the moment, however they will not be as good at concentrating forces unless we provoke them into outfitting an Armada. Our longest border is in the south with the Vix Collective, we have only a single planet border with the Antarians and we currently do not border the Sh'a. All are on okay terms with us at present.

Stellar Monarch is not like most games in that you arent forced into Peace or TOTAL WAR. The default state between nations is basically a fluid border where whatever you can get away with, goes. Building a truce take a bit of time and investment but does freeze your borders. You are free to snipe border worlds and the like without too much of a response but if you hold too many worlds that an Empire has claims on (thinks they should own) relations will deteriorate and you will get a more robust response from them.

Decision 5 - Diplomatic Focus

If a nation is selected we get ingame diplo bonuses for the rest of the Era (30 turns, 2 Audiences) and I will move the metagame slider 1 point positively. Vote A/B/C/D per the order of options in the screenshot.

Decision 6 - Military Focus

We can choose a major Nation to prepare for war against for the rest of the Era and I will move the metagame relations slider 1pt negatively. Vote A/B/C per the order of options in the screenshot.

And thats it for now folks! Please discuss and vote for decisions 1-6 in the following format.

You, a helpful audience member posted:

Votes for Audience 1
1A,
2B,
3C,
etc etc etc

Dont forget the LP Discord. Those in House Mercury are conspiciously absent!

And finally, the Tracking spreadsheet.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Duke Kerath of Mars

The sooner we inhibit the hiveminds, the better I say.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We are a mid-size fish in a very large pond. Surely it would be best to focus on increasing our trade and decreasing corruption for now so that we can maintain good relations with our neighbors while we build up our defenses. I highly suggest every House favor this approach.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Krysmphoenix of Illustrious House Saturn
1c We fully support the motion to learn to domesticate the Hive and study their biology.
2b Shame on them for not properly disposing of antiquated military tech.
3c Let us be kind but firm to these Governors. Surely this was merely a simple...tax misunderstanding. Pay no attention to my Corruption score
4a Diplomacy is better. The Narwog fascinate us.
5a The Vix Collective are our largest neighbors, let's cooperate with them.
6x I politely abstain from all matters bearing even the thought of going to war.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 29, 2021

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

throwing my lot in with House Mars

Boomboomf22
Oct 21, 2016
1c destruction of their overmind will open up great fields of study on the Hive
2b Can't have officers selling stuff to the rebels, the might take away my labs
3c I see no harm in their actions as long as they repay what was taken outside of the incorrect tax forms
4b The Narwog will make excellent test subjects once acquired for SCIENCE!
5c I do not see offensive action against the Vix as our best opportunity at the moment, and thus it makes sense to convince them to hold their forces at bay
6b At the same time I think we should prepare for war against them if they do attack

Boomboomf22 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 29, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Asterite of House Saturn, Courtier in Foreign Affairs, votes as such:

1 C The sooner we understand and subvert their nascent hive mind, the better.

2 C There's hardly any House representation in the vice admiralty anyway, let's clear out the dead wood.

3 C They can use their ill-gotten gains to subsidize the Supspace Inhibitor

4 A As a high-ranking courtier in the Foreign Affairs office, I recommend the paltry sum to improve relations. If we should start any military ventures in the Galactic North, they might make a useful ally, or at least remain neutral.

5 C They're our most powerful neighbor, we should cozy up to them a little. Plus, moving the diplomacy slider UP one space cancels out the moving it DOWN one space caused by...

6 B It makes sense for us to prepare to defend ourselves against the strongest possible enemy who has the longest border with us.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Rear Admiral Ichabod Sexbeast-Saturn, of the Hyperion Sexbeast-Saturns:

1) C - the Hive will be a fascinating topic of study once we get them on the dissecting table. I, for one, would like to know more.

2) C - We need to remove the taint of subversion from our noble fleet, and allow better and more loyal officers to rise

3) C - For those who do not truck with rebels, repaying what they owe (plus some fines) may be most appropriate

4) B - If we can destroy their relations with the other civilised races, the Narwog may be ripe for the picking without consequence, opening up opportunities to strike into Hive space

5) C and 6) B - Let's seek peace, prepare for war, and make sure the filthy Xenos won't see us coming!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

throwing my lot in with House Mars

Courtier or officer?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Duke Kerath of Mars

quote:

2 C There's hardly any House representation in the vice admiralty anyway, let's clear out the dead wood.

I must strenuously protest this notion - the vast, vast majority of our Vice Admirals are fine, loyal, upstanding servants of the Empire. Should we blame them all for the failings of a few we stand to weaken the officer corps in its entirety. Let us publicize the misdeeds of those truly guilty and ensure imperial justice accounts in all balance.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Duke Kerath of Mars

I must strenuously protest this notion - the vast, vast majority of our Vice Admirals are fine, loyal, upstanding servants of the Empire. Should we blame them all for the failings of a few we stand to weaken the officer corps in its entirety. Let us publicize the misdeeds of those truly guilty and ensure imperial justice accounts in all balance.

So you don't want House Mars to potentially rise in the ranks of the Navy, and instead prefer to keep around the collection of unaffiliated corrupt armchair (vice) admirals?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

sniper4625 posted:

Duke Kerath of Mars

Apart from rooting out the corruption and sedition, many of the vice admirals that would be dismissed are.... not spectacular military minds. The Empire will benefit.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Asterite34 posted:

So you don't want House Mars to potentially rise in the ranks of the Navy, and instead prefer to keep around the collection of unaffiliated corrupt armchair (vice) admirals?

No sir, no! I would not build my House's success on the bodies of innocent servants of the Empress, condemned for the crimes of others! Any who would so blatantly put the fortunes of their House in front of Imperial justice should be condemned in the most certain terms! Let those guilty suffer their rightful punishment but how can you in good faith and conscience say that political concerns should outweigh the truth?

(And it's my understanding that newly generated vice admirals would start unaligned anyway)

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Apart from rooting out the corruption and sedition, many of the vice admirals that would be dismissed are.... not spectacular military minds. The Empire will benefit.

The men we replace may not be paragons of martial skill, no, but the ill will engendered by such indiscriminate punitive measures will strike at the Fleet entire. I fear the unintended long term consequences...

Edit: And anything that slows down this nascent rebellion should be encouraged. Firing the admirals doesn't do that. To be clear I will be voting B, not A.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 29, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jossar of House Juno, Admiral of the First Fleet

Votes for Audience 1

1) C - The Western Territories are the primary concern of the Empire. Let the other "so-called" major civilizations fight among themselves in the east and with the rest of the Galaxy brought to heel, we will build the Empire up to heights not seen since the days of old!

2) A, 3) D - Piffle, utter nonsense! Your Majesty, do not throw away loyal servants who have had to resort to desperate measures in light of recent hard times. Instead the Empire should be focused on improving conditions so that they need not resort to such measures.

4) B - The Narwog have practically handed themselves to us on a silver platter, what a stroke of luck! Not only will we gain access to the systems themselves, but another corridor for future Hiveward expansion and the isolation and containment of the two remaining minor powers. Your Majesty, we cannot let this opportunity pass us by!

5) A, 6) C - I remain convinced that the destiny of the Empire is in the west rather than the east. But to the extent we must be concerned about a potential military threat, though I would not go so far as to use the word "peer", it would be the Antarians. Their values are inextricably opposed to those of the Empire and they bear the greatest proximity to our potential corridors of expansion.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
IMPERIAL SECONDARY BUREAU OF PROTOCOL REVIEW
DEPARTMENT VI - RES CLASSIS
SECTOR SOLARIS, OBLYAST LUNARIS
CASE NUMBER 355617/VI/4799
CONFIDENTIAL: Recording of an incoming phone conversation between VICE ADMIRAL T. BEST, BARONET BERGHAIN, EXECUTIVE OFFICER, 1ST FLEET and an UNKNOWN CALLER

TB: "Uncle?" [It is believed "Uncle" may be a code name, as all of known avuncular relatives of Vice Admiral Best are known to be loyal Imperial servants of the highest integrity. "Is that you? Didn't expect to hear from you so soon...
UC: Male voice. Estimated age around 40, perhaps 70 if gene therapy user. Call untraceable, possible voice modulator in use. "Hectic days, young man."
TB: "Truly, truly. I just finished writing up the piece for the Imperial Journal of Naval Affairs." Chief investigator note: Respected and prestigious academic journal in the field of naval theory, widely read in the Imperial Court, particularly by heads of the Department of Defense.
UC: "Is it..."
TB: "Yes, yes, about the Battlestar project. It discusses the practicality of the project, the proposed station's combat capacities, possible strategy and tactics surrounding its employment, directions for likely doctrinal changes. I have found it to be rather favourable to the concept. Who knows, maybe I could get a consultant credit on-on-on it... With the way things are going, I'm not likely to have much to do in the near future."
UC: "Are you talking about the Oberon affair?"
TB: "Well - no - I was mostly referring to our scandalously passive military footing and, uh, an ir- irresponsible foreign policy. I'm tired of para-
UC: "Cut it. Are you implicated or not?"
TB: "-des... What?! No! Of course not! I would never. This entire affair is a witch hunt by some bored Fleet Political Bureau officers who found some clueless idiot or two misplaced some antiquated materiel and hope to make, uh - their stars off of this. They probably hooked him up to an agonizer and got whatever confession they wanted. Going public with the whole thing is their goal, so absolutely nothing should be made of the matter. People who are calling for all Vice Admirals to retire - what absurdity! Vice Admirals are some of the most competent commanders in the navy..."
UC: "Tevery..."
TB: "I don't think I have to..."
UC: "No, you don't, I know. Top of class at the Academy, four Gold Bars at the Imperial Naval Reviews in a row, youngest Commodore to be promoted to Vice Admiral, battle honours somewhere or other during the Yirwan Crisis. You always bring it up, and I want you to stop evading the question."
TB: "I was very explicit..."
UC: "Tevery."
TB: "Look, if - hypothetically, you understand? - uh, I was - were involved in something like this, and I wouldn't be, which I want TO STRESS, I would make a point out of not selling to the Rebels. If you don't know who you're dealing with, they can't pin you for treason, just misappropriation of funds-"
UC: "I don't think it works-"
TB: "So I don't want to hear about it any more. If you want to pillar somebody, go after those governors. That was in the papers. Are you going to fine them?
UC: "I - well, it's a possibility we've given thought to, but..."
TB: "Well, doesn't matter. If you ask me, you can fire the lot of them; they're all tiny men who climb on their ponies and think they've become giants. Corrupt, stupid provincials. That backwater Martian yokel Pawlak used to be a Governor before being offered command, you know..."
UC: "I am aware, yes. You've made me aware plenty of times."
TB: "Speaking of backwaters, did you hear anything about the Narwog thing?"
UC: "About what?"
TB: "Would be nice to get those hull plans, you know..."
UC: "I have no idea what you're talking about."
TB: "Also would probably get someone to be more aggressive against those green primitives. Probably 9th Fleet, though, but maybe that little bit is what we need to see some action..."
UC: "You never were a believer in diplomacy."
TB: "No, diplomats should stay home and find themselves some useful work, sybaritic parasite ulcers that they are."
UC: laughs "I do find myself feeling that way a lot when I look at Minister Asterite."
TB: "I'd honestly love to go after the Antarians. Fat, rich, wimpy, ripe for some plunder."
UC: "Ha-ha! Man of action. You take after your mother, you know."
TB: "I should hope so."
UC: "Anyhow, I need to see to some affairs now. Stay out of trouble, young man."
TB: "What's that supposed to mean? Oh, he hung up. Well, it's about time to hit the officer's club anyway..."

A hand in a kid glove rolls the papers up alongside the dozens of pages in the file and puts them away into a bag. They leave behind only a brief note:

CASE CLOSED ON ORDERS FROM [REDACTED], DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, EARTH. ALL FILES DESTROYED FOR REASONS OF IMPERIAL SECURITY. OFFICERS ASSIGNED TO THE CASE HAVE BEEN REASSIGNED TO OTHER POSTS. PRESENT FILE RECLASSIFIED TOP SECRET.

[More clearly:

1 - Megastructure - B
2 - Missing Equipment - A
3 - Corrupt Governors - C
4 - The Narwog Question - C, B
5 - Diplomatic Focus - A
6 - Military Focus - C]

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Duke Kerath of Mars

Tentative Voting Slate posted:

1C
2B
3A
4B
5A
6C

Ace009
Jul 30, 2021
1A: House Mercury fully supports the efforts by the Empress to merge all of Terra’s mega cities into one megacity. Not only will this benefit the Imperial economy, but also allow for a decent source of taxation and we can more easily coordinate Terra’s industrial capacity.

2A: We need not concern ourselves with these rebels, for improving the quality of life for all involved will surely prevent any rebellions. And besides, even if a rebellion were to break out, we could just.....ya know. Crush them. Obviously.

3A: Fire the crooked fools! That is your duty as Empress! Or do you really want to look like you support corruption on behalf on inept and incompetent officials?!

4A: Remember the old saying, my Empress, that the pen is mightier than the sword and the coin even more so. War is a terrible thing for business (unless you’re in the military-industrial complex, which although useful, is not exactly what is necessary to maintain a prosperous empire).

5A:I can concur that the Sh’a Monarchy would make a most useful ally. In fact, due to our common history, it would be wise to ally with these creatures.

6B:The fact that you haven’t focused on the Vix as the priority threat yet baffles me. They are clearly a serious threat to the Empire and should you fail to contain their expansion, it may come back to bite us in the rear end.

Ace009 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 30, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
1c While being able to extract wealth from Terra would be good, this is probably a better long term investment
2b Equipment is procured with money and thus, the rebels committed one of the most heinous of crimes: Theft of Money. Let it be know to all that thiswon'tbe tolerated
3A Same as above.
4A An opportunity for future trade is always welcomed
5D They seem to share the same values of House Mercury and I see no reason not to make further inroads for future enrichment
6B They seem like simpletons that may become a problem sooner rather than later so a more effective posture will be neccesary for them

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 30, 2021

Ace009
Jul 30, 2021

Xelkelvos posted:

1c
2b
3A
4A
5D
6B

Oh, goodie. (Demonic voice) GET IN THE DISCORD!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Ace009 posted:

1A: House Mercury fully supports the efforts by the Empress to merge all of Terra’s mega cities into one megacity. Not only will this benefit the Imperial economy, but also allow for a decent source of taxation and we can more easily coordinate Terra’s industrial capacity.

2A: We need not concern ourselves with these rebels, for improving the quality of life for all involved will surely prevent any rebellions. And besides, even if a rebellion were to break out, we could just.....ya know. Crush them. Obviously.

3A: Fire the crooked fools! That is your duty as Empress! Or do you really want to look like you support corruption on behalf on inept and incompetent officials?!

4A: Remember the old saying, my Empress, that the pen is mightier than the sword and the coin even more so. War is a terrible thing for business (unless you’re in the military-industrial complex, which although useful, is not exactly what is necessary to maintain a prosperous empire).

5A:I can concur that the Sh’a Monarchy would make a most useful ally. In fact, due to our common history, it would be wise to ally with these creatures.

6B:The fact that you haven’t focused on the Vix as the priority threat yet baffles me. They are clearly a serious threat to the Empire and should you fail to contain their expansion, it may come back to bite us in the rear end.

A
A
A
A
A
B
as my fellow House Member so eloquently put it

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Assistant Under-Treasurer in the Ministry of Treasure Jimmy Mercury

1C Making a megacity might be nice and profitable, you know what makes even more money down the line? Not being eaten by space bugs or having to fund a massive military to fight said space bugs.

2B drat thieves :argh:

3A Same as above.

4A While They're a small power, and we could easily crush them, why fight when we can make some cold hard cash?

5D The Antares seem to value an honest buck with trade, it seems like out of all our neighbors they're the most able and willing to co-habitate so we can focus elsewhere.

6B These guys seem like chumps, we're going to need to keep the military on edge to be strong and while fighting the mindless Hive will probably consume a lot of attention, I'd rather only antagonize one neighbor at a time and these guys seem easier.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

An early count on the votes reveals the following:

There are some squeakers in there!

Dukes and Admirals, can you please get your orders in by 0900GMT 1st August! As always if everything is in earlier I may be able to update sooner.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

1C Inhibition of that Hive is going to be critical to our early stage growth.
2B Snip those rebels a bit, but no need to get hasty.
3A Fire them! I'd fire the whole court, but who knows who would replace them?
4B Opportunity presents itself, trade is great, but military conquest is better!
5D
6B

Yooper fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 30, 2021

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

An indecisive lot of lollygaggers, I see, though I am glad that there are at least some among you with an eye on the bigger picture.

As a man of action, I will commit the First Fleet to raid the Antarians, testing their defenses and picking off a few border colonies if the merchants are truly that incompetent.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Now thats the sort of decisive action the Empress approves of!

The Fleet will arrive on the border in 5 turns, while en route explorers and scouts are dispatched to the unknown Antarian border worlds. The ships ordered from the shipyards last turn will catch up with the fleet as they are produced.

Neton and Guzix have decent size local fleets (124 ships and 112 ships respectively) and thirty planetary heavy plasma gun installations each but the Mighty 1st will have a tonnage and numerical advantage over either individually and Alien border defense fleets are famously loathe to leave their assigned worlds unguarded.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 30, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'll throw my hat in as a Courtier of House Saturn.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Priority Communique, 2nd Fleet high command
Admiral Innocent the Bystander of house Janus

Political advice for consideration by the Throne
1: C The hive represents the single largest avenue of expansion and subduing it early is bound to pay dividends down the line.
2: B I of course must stand for accountability.
3: C They engines of war are stirring, and they thirst for funds. Let them show their dedication to the Empire.
4: B A weakness to exploit.
5: C Secure our southern frontier while we are busy elsewhere
6: C The Antarians are right next to what is likely to be our main area of military activity. Be prepared.

Movement orders, 2nd Fleet
Second fleet is to move to the northern Frontier, wait one turn, and shamelessly exploit whatever opportunity for rapid expansion presents itself, be it the Antarians or, should we decide to attack them, the Narwog.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I love this game.

Sign me up as a courtier of House Mars !

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Audience 1 decisions made!

• Work begins on a Subspace inhibitor to disrupt the Hive's communications and prevent the formation of new Overminds.
  • The glut of missing military equipment is publicised, cutting the supply to the various rebel forces and creating a small setback to their plans.
  • The court is tied between firing and fining the governors. In the end the Empress flips a coin and the governors are Fined!
  • Its a close run thing but we will take the military advantage offered over the Narwog. They are decreed as the primary target for the Empire's first offensive.
  • Diplomacy is discarded for a gain in prestige.
  • The Vix Collective is settled upon as the focus of the fleets training and readiness exercises.

We are still awaiting some orders from the Dukes, the turn will be run once they arrive.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Audience 1 concludes!

Not enough Dukes submitted court political moves, this will be delayed till just before the next audience to give them all a chance.

Ducal Actions
  • Mars, Janus and Juno all bid two favor for the summon admiral action! A tiebreaker sees Mars Summoning Jossar Juno of the 1st fleet to attach a political officer loyal to Mars.
  • House Mercury spend 8 Empress's favor to Reactivate 7th Fleet with a Mercurian Admiral!
  • House Mars spends 8 Empress's favor to Swear 5th Fleet to house Mars!
  • House Juno pays 4 favor to increase the replacement priority of 1st Fleet.
  • House Saturn spends 4 favor to Adopt Vice Admiral BoomF22 of the second Fleet!

Turn 3

Our choice is a 20% damage boost against the Narwog ships till the end of the era.

Imperial shipyards continue to churn out ships, I will only post these from now when they do something unexpected.

The Vix test our planetary defenses in the south at Ingrod and find them ready and waiting, unfortunately sheer weight of numbers means the Vix secure control of the planets orbitals with heavy casualties.

Luckily for us the newly reorganised 5th Fleet "Martian Lancers" is assembling at Caeteth one jump away, a quick response is ordered by Admiral Incy Mars.

Elsewhere along the Vix frontier massive subsidies are poured into planetary defenses and garrisons, this increases the rate at which they build and doubles the max amount of guns to 160.

Ingrod is falling fast however, it's lucky the 5th is so close!

Turn 4

A counterstrike by 5th Fleet wipes out the unescorted Vix ships and secures Ingrod obit again. The Empress is pleased.

Turn 5

In the north, planet Spinrad the jump off point for the planned offensive against the Narwog comes under attack from a small Tau Ceti force. The planetary defenses and strong defensive squadron from the 3rd fleet make short work of them.

We also finish colonisation efforts on our first planet in the west, the first of many the Empress promises.

Turn 6

A massive scream undulates throughout subspace, the Parasites have awoken. The new western frontier suddenly looks far far less safe.

Oh dear.

Turn 7

The 1st and 9th Fleets arrive at their respective jump off points and the assault against the Narwog and raids on the Antarian commence! These are the first major actions the Empire has seen and are a good test of the mettle of the new Empress.

Turn 8

Reports start coming in from the front...

Rephtas - Narwog Front

The battle against the Narwog starts well but soon descends into chaos as the inexperienced 9th fleet, despite a nearly 30% advantage in fleet tonnage falls apart. Narwog Serpent frigates and Watcher corvettes, suffering 100% casualties force the Imperial screen aside allowing their destroyers free access to the superior numbers of lumbering Imperial battleships. The result is a complete rout.

The one silver lining is that the more than half of the Imperial casualties manage to retreat for repairs and to fight another day and the Narwog planetary defenses are completely destroyed. 9th fleet retreat to regroup at the border and await reinforcements.

Neton - Antarian border world

A confident 1st fleet under Admiral Jossar advances against the Antarian border world of Neton.

A 50% tonnage advantage tells as the 24, well screened Imperial battleships crush the two battleships and seventeen cruisers of the Antarian core before proceeding to sweep aside the planetary defenses.

The day is a resounding Imperial victory and Stormtroopers start to drop on Neton.

Turn 9

The Parasites now occupy two dozen worlds and are adjacent the newly colonised border of the Empire. No fleets are available to do anything about it except the 7th which is slowly building strength at Terra.

Turn 10

The 9th Fleet - Empress's own gets a massive shipyard delivery but it will take some time before it returns to full strength.

Turns 11-12

Little of note happens, the Empire's battered fleets await reinforcements and the Parasites wipe out a Hive Overmind.

Turn 13

The Parasites hit their first Imperial world! A newly colonised planet in the southwest by the Vix border.

A new Overmind is grown somewhere in the Galaxy.

An Antarian relief force of over a hundred ships arrives at Neton just as the ground defenders start to surrender. The 1st Fleet smashes the Antarians in space and finishes their conquest of the planet! +2 Empress's favor for House Juno!

We will pause here to give the Dukes time to get in their court political moves before the next Audience (turn 14).

The Fleets

The victorious 1st is orbiting Neton, enough replacements are ordered to bring it back to nearly full strength.

2nd Fleet has arrived at Spinrad bordering the Narwog, only two of its squadrons ar at full strength.

9th is also at Narwog and Admiral Phillips signals Admiral Innocent Bystander that he is expecing to be full strength in 1-2 turns and stands ready to assist with any offensives against the Narwog.

5th Fleet is a jump back from the Vix Border and stands ready to move against the Vix or the Parasites. It is at about 85% strength.

7th Fleet is at Terra and nearly reinforced to full strength. It awaits orders from Admiral Slaan.

The fronts

The numbers in the boxes next to the worlds on the map are the number of ships spotted in orbit.

The North

The South and West

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 4, 2021

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Duke Kerath of Mars

Mars sends its felicitations to its brave sons and daughters even now fighting on the borders of the Empire for Empress, Empire, and House.

Ave Victoria!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Good news is the parasites should go back to napping soon enough

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AtomikKrab posted:

Good news is the parasites should go back to napping soon enough

But enough about cocktail hour

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

This galaxy is hostile to the human race, but there is no reason that trade and communication with the other civilized races can't prosper. However, this can't be done with the parasites and the hivemind out there. The 7th Fleet and House Mercury will defend all of humanity against these scourges and grow the Empire for the Empress.

E: The 7th shall show its might in our maiden voyage by tossing those parasites off of our world and engaging any other bug that dares attack us!

Slaan fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 2, 2021

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Dearest Uncle,

The Antarians have proven as feckless and as wealthy as we had anticipated. I trust you have received the strongbox I have ordered to be enclosed with this letter; if not, order the messenger tortured. Once you have its contents, the matter of Marquis Fairberth's "party" should be easy to resolve. I trust you will think of me as you contemplate your very personal benefit from our campaign.

As for the battles themselves, well, I will confide in you that from my point of view they were far less glamorous than you hear. Not that the reports are false; in truth, were cousin Jossar not there, I may have had time to appreciate the triumph of our battle line. Instead, I had to constantly look over his shoulder to make sure he does not do another one of his signature blunders. When I saw his deployment orders for planetary batteries, I thought it was some kind of satire from one of the sailors. Luckily my aide confirmed that they were real, so I had time to propose a corrected version. To cousin Jossar's credit, he just signed it without even reading.

The political officer attached to our fleet recently is a true, unrepentant nuisance. I have yet to freely converse with him, and from the sideways glances he shoots my way I infer that this will not change for a long while. Very well, I say, I do not believe I will have much use for the man anyway. I understand he is some kind of third cousin twice removed of one of Duke Mars's stepchildren; he does not seem a military man and so far I have not noticed any familiarity with theory or practice in him. He never gave me any but the briefest of greetings when he came aboard, I am pretty certain he did not even recognise me! Any man who reads The Navy Times, The Imperial Journal of Naval Affairs, or even Who's Who in the Fleets surely would. I must judge him a dilettante. The "morale boosting" pamphlets he periodically circulates on the ship are well-written, I must allow him this much; however, I doubt if they boost anyone's morale but his own.

I must confess to you that for a man of my talents this feels like an exercise in frustration. I would have thought I would have been made admiral a long time ago, or maybe given a naval design institute to head with my breakthrough notions; the one reason I have ever been given as to why it has not happened is that I "look fishy." Seeing as I have been voted Most Handsome Cadet in my last year of the Academy, it can only mean that I seem suspect. Why? How? No-one could ever answer that. My reputation is pristine, and my record unblemished. I conclude the problem is not with me, but with the eyes of those who observe. Alas!

Yours as always,

VICE ADMIRAL T. BEST, BARONET BERGHAIN.

PS. Could you inquire with M. Garat if the press is giving him trouble? There have been some delays in the library sale payments ever since you-know-what.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Slightly Delayed court moves from Audience 1

Minister Asterite of Internal Affairs suffers a tragic hunting accident involving anti-personnel mines keyed to Saturnian DNA. Junior Courtier Takahiro is also caught in the blast leaving House Saturn with two vacancies in the court.

Houses Janus and Mars rapidly fill the vacancies boosting them both to the top positions in the court.

Going into Audience 2

House Mars: 0 Favor, +1 for controlling Defense! +10 for top court spot.
House Janus: 6 Favor, +8 for 2nd place in court.
House Mercury: 0 Favor, +6 for middle court position
House Juno: 2 Favor, +2 for conquering a world! +4 for fourth court spot.
House Saturn: 2 Favor, +4 for last place in court.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 2, 2021

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Audience 2, Turn 14!

The Empress will hear your petitions now.

Dukes! Make your petitions and bids using the Empress's Favor you have collected and perform your political moves in the court. (If you are taking over fleets consider having your top Admiral give it orders). Admirals consult your houses and prepare orders for your fleet! (Jossar, Innoccent Bystander, Slaan, Incy.)

With the Dukes busy scheming we turn our attention to other matters of Empire.

Decisions - Audience 2

Interrogations continue leading to foiling another asassination plot.

We cut a deal to speed ship construction.

House Mars gets a small boost as they have the largest number of courtiers.

Arakorn Mars is placed as a Political Officer on 1st Fleet.

Decision 1 - Injustice in Justice

Option A - +2% rebel readiness
Option B - 10% Loyalty loss chance and all Justice Courtiers are fired!

Decision 2 - Tied Tongues

Option A - +4% Rebel readiness, Prestige -1
Option B - Relations hit.

Decision 3 - Vix Diplomacy

Option A - We can ignore the ambassador (no effect).
Option C - Spend Influence to improve relations.
Option B (increase influence) is unaffordable right now.

Decision 4 - Antarian Diplomacy

Option A - 5% chance for all Courtiers to gain 1 Loyalty.
Option B - Prestige +2.
Option C - Gain 100 Research (we currently generate 85/turn).

Decision 5 - Officer Purge

Options A-E as they are stated in the image. Player Officer stats are available on the Fleets page of the tracking sheet. New officers will be Unaligned. Political officers are not included in the purge.

State of the Empire

The first new technology is ready, we continue down the construction path towards our new Command Cruiser design.

The Parasites continue their Rampage through Hive territory (red circles around worlds represent a battle this turn).

They have largely halted at the Imperial borders and a scientific mission reports as to why.

Bio-ship races (Parasites and Hive, for now) cannot launch offensives from non-life bearing worlds as they lack the biomass to replenish their ships. By coincidence the Imperial border colonies have stopped just before three critically placed barren worlds (underlined in red). You can also use nuclear bombardment of worlds to cut a firebreak between yourself and Bio-ship races. For now the only danger from the parasites is in the South-west where 7th Fleet is moving rapidly to respond.

Finally 9th Fleet is almost back to full strength and ready to take the battle to The Narwog again.

And thats it for now folks! Please discuss and vote for decisions 1-5 in the following format.

You, a helpful audience member posted:

Votes for Audience 1
1A,
2B,
3C,
etc etc etc

Dont forget the LP Discord.

And finally, the Tracking spreadsheet.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 2, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

1B
2B
3A
4C
5A

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

1A
2B
3A
4A
5A

Saros posted:

Houses Juno and Mars rapidly fill the vacancies boosting them both to the top positions in the court.

I don't think we gained any seats?

Yooper fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Capital job, men! Your exemplary service does the Empress, House Juno, and this officer proud.

quote:

At this moment, Admiral Jossar heads from the bridge of Gloriana, flagship of the First Fleet, to his private quarters. Exchanging the duty of monitoring soldiers in their procession to the more administrative ones associated with his office. First, the admiral peruses a series of communiques sent from throughout the Empire to the First Fleet. Some of them have even been addressed to him, rather than the nest of vipers increasingly comprising his the officer cadre. Events on the galactic scale are mixed - the Parasites have woken up in the West, but their attacks have mostly been focused on the Hive rather than the Empire itself. War was declared on the Narwog, but the fleet responsible managed to screw up the invasion. The Antarians had been suitably cowed by the recent attacks, but that meant that there was less of a justification to keep raiding the corridor, especially since the Empire had shifted towards hostility with the Vix. Which had almost nearly gone in the aliens' favor had the 5th Fleet been just a little slower, but they'd managed to hold the line. If there was a House in the Empire that was nearly as solid as Juno, it was Mars, and quality showed.

Domestically, things were much more of a headache. Assassinations, endemic corruption, witch hunts for perceived lack of loyalty... The latter was particularly annoying to Jossar. The First Fleet had always been of a more practical bent in terms of its composition, accepting anyone who proclaimed even nominal allegiance to the Empire so they could be pointed outwards against its enemies instead. But it meant that there was a never-ending spiral of suspected disloyalty leading to the Fleet seeking less dependency on Terra for fear that it would cut off resources altogether as part of some political coup, leading to increasing suspicion of disloyalty ad infinitum. The Duke of House Juno, sensing that a similar problem was what had lead to the decline of the House, had been doing his best to counter this trend but the legacy of many years was proving hard to root out...

Anyway, decisions had to be made.

Votes for Audience 2

1) A - Your Majesty, I spoke with conviction on these issues last time and my response is very much the same. We just do not have the personnel to replace!

2) B - A ruse of a question! They really want to know if we view their states as inferior, and the answer is clearly yes. We have their diplomats begging for our favor even as we speak!

3) A - We're not really going to get much out of talking with the Vix now at this point, as obstinate as they are.

4) B - If the Antarians know how great the Empire is, it would be much easier to get them to join it instead.

5) A - For much the same reasons as earlier, my point remains the same.

The First Fleet will wait until reinforcements arrive, then attempt to capture Guzix, unless the situation on the Antarian border otherwise changes to make this infeasible. It's necessary to ensure that a future Antarian attack doesn't bypass Neton and isolate it by taking Nythia. From that point on though, the First Fleet will adopt a defensive posture until the next audience unless it is necessary for the Empire's defense that it move elsewhere. Though I trust the remainder of the Admiralty not to need our help.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 2, 2021