Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh yea, that's right. Golf is the worst sport to watch on television and you'd probably be better off watching literally any other Olympic sport coverage, even the equestrian, at least there maybe there's a chance the horse will throw a rider off or break a leg and get put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
If there's any sport that should be amateur for the olympics it's golf. There's a serious level of amateur competition in most countries and a lot of pros aren't bothered about the olympics. It'd actually make it more worthwhile. Even if there was an amateur and outside the top 100/250/500/1000 players worldwide.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Golf is so loving boring

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Rarity posted:

Golf is so loving boring

If cricket is a sport you drink beer and listen to the radio with, golf is a sport you give yourself liver cirrhosis to. Apparently it's a big gambling sport as well, especially from gamblers who don't watch a minute of the game but just run the odds.

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
Golf is boring and for rich white dudes

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Lucavi posted:

Golf is boring and for rich white dudes

Nah, there's plenty of young kids and teenagers who play. The just either become rich dudes/dudettes, or they get chased out for being better at the sport than the rich dudes/dudettes while having the audacity of being not-rich.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Golf sucks op

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
*Sees that Mexico is leading in Men's Golf*
i have always loved golf

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Rarity posted:

Golf is so loving boring
Watch for the fuckups. Like today Justin Thomas hit his tee shot into a tree and it didn't come down.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Golf actually owns OP and I'm bumping this thread up to support it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kirios posted:

Golf actually owns OP and I'm bumping this thread up to support it.

:mods:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
we all just stayed in the normal golf thread.....I do think it's cool to see all the internationals - but the top guys all showing up in their private jets is sort of like whatever this could be the Greater Greensboro Open or whatever. Golf just doesn't feel like an Olympic sport no matter how many times NBC screams at us that it is FOR NATIONAL PRIDE! ...........when it's a normal individual stroke play event :jerkbag:

quote:

What if for the Olympics they did (for both M & W) a 2 day stroke play tourney and then a 2 person scramble then a mixed M/W scramble instead of just a normal 4 day stroke play event? Either do something like that or shitcan it, meh. I'm just glad I didn't hear any dipshit frat bro's screaming the entire time.

Also, did Matsu go back to the 18th green afterwards and dutifully commit seppuku? :japan:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Keyser_Soze posted:

the normal golf thread

This is a cry for help

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Keyser_Soze posted:

stroke play event :jerkbag:

:wink:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Nelly Korda ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm watching Olympic women's golf finals today. So far I've only watched half of it. Here are the things I like about it:
- The landscapes
- Seeing the competitors announced
- The tension at the eighth hole when the top three were tied and there was a tricky slope that made the ball roll back toward the hole

Here are the things I don't like about it:
- It's a shame we only see each landscape from the POV at the start of each hole before it switches to a close-up of the hole itself, which looks nearly the same at each hole.

- They have it set up so that three contenders are announced and then take their shot, which made it harder to skip all the footage of the first hole and see the contenders introduced at the same time. For all the events with about six attempts like the javelin throw or the high jump, I realized that I can save time for seeing a wider variety of events by just skipping the first three attempts, in which the bottom four of the top 12 are ejected. Sometimes the winning attempt is one of the first three, but that rarely happens because most athletes save their best and riskiest efforts for the final three anyway. It's also easy to know when to skip around in the marathon events -- looking for people getting tired, the peloton narrowing, and interesting landmarks -- so you can easily turn a three hour stream into 60-90 minutes. With golf, you can't as easily skip around in the stream so that you see each hole.

- It's too long. Every so often I skipped ahead because I don't need to see all twelve contenders take their shot at the same hole. By the eighth hole, it seemed like NBC had narrowed most of their coverage down to the top three or so. Eventually, I skipped ahead to the last 20 minutes, and it seemed like it was leading a tense three-way tie before the medals were awarded...and then I realized that NBC split it into two streams, I was only watching the first half, and there was another 3.5 hour stream. I'm guessing the last 30 minutes are for medals being awarded, so this is a 6.5 hour event. I put in some popcorn and had some snack food, paused and did some web browsing while switching back and forth, but referring back to

Mrenda posted:

If cricket is a sport you drink beer and listen to the radio with, golf is a sport you give yourself liver cirrhosis to.
all the multitasking in the world can't make this enjoyable. This is truly the worst Olympic sport to watch. I'm just here for the completionism of giving every Olympic event a chance

edit: I liked their coverage of Aditi Ashok

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 25, 2021