Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
black christmas 74 has this super hot lady who wears a sexy choker and reads playboys its epic

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aurora posted:

i was still talking about fear street i'm sorry 😭

oh lmao im a dummy i looked up the new black christmas and there was an actor named simon in it lol

e: huh i didn't really got any sort of vibe off simon besides "weirdo" after the masturbation thing

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 24, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

he definitely felt like, 90s queer coded in the sense that he's portrayed as being sort of weird but it was the like, dress outfit he wore last that made me think of being nb

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i did some googling to see if other people got that vibe and found this

quote:

There’s also what I think is supposed to be a non-binary person in the movie; I say “I think” because it’s never explicitly stated that they’re non-binary, but since they sloppily etched a “B” onto the their nametag to turn their name from “Eddy” to “Beddy,” and considering that they also put a thin layer of makeup on their face to juxtapose an otherwise male-presenting body, I think a non-binary person is what the Janiak was going for. They’re portrayed, however, as a morally dubious person who supplies drugs to minors. While Beddy’s part is really small, their inclusion feels kinda gross and problematic, especially considering they’re the only openly non-binary person in the movie, and thus, whether Janiak intended it or not, is the defacto representative of non-binary folk. Look, I’m not the right person to be discussing this, but there’s a long history of trans and non-binary people being portrayed as decietful, manipulative, and otherwise evil and/or morally dubious in media. And Beddy, here, really isn’t helping to shake that image. If you want to know more about what I’m talking about, Lindsay Ellis and Contrapoints have both made videos on this topic that I’d recommend watching.

but... two of the heroes sell drugs... did this person watch the same movie... the whole point is nobody in shadyside had a choice!!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

that char is definitely more on the exploitative end of 90s queer coding

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i would agree that the portrayal kinda did lean that way a bit but making a stink about the drugs, tsk tsk

speaking of gay slasher stuff have you seen scream 4? there is a lady in there im pretty sure they were meant to be a lesbian and i google to see if other people agreed with this read but it was mostly people disappointed she wasn't gay because she got pair up with a dude. but the whole thing like kinda, read as a comphet thing to me, like they directly cut to her when explaining the gay rule in modern slashers.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i feel like i should at least attempt to watch scream since it won't leave me disturbed like Real HorrorTM

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

anyway my point re that miki post was that you really don't need to emphasize your trans cred or w/e here, in the thread where many trans ppl post

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mikl posted:

You're right. I'm sure the cishet male author of a manga that hasn't demonstrated any awareness of gender and sexuality issues beyond the occasional joke is more aware of those issues than an actual trans woman and trans activist, who does real, tangible activism work in the field, and who's a published author of queer and trans fiction.

Silly me.
no worries we all make mistakes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Aurora posted:

anyway my point re that miki post was that you really don't need to emphasize your trans cred or w/e here, in the thread where many trans ppl post

i have negative trans cred— im in trans debt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway jokes aside i did not mean 'the authors put more thought into this' as some kind of insult or questioning of your knowledge of trans issues. and if were going with death of the author the amount of thought the author put in doesnt really matter. like idk. that kinda line of logic just always leads to the most toxic, least good faith takes in my experience

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
There are separate branches of literary theory that concern themselves with reading and authorial intent. Like, you can analyse how and why someone wrote a certain piece, and that's where the author's thought comes in; and you can analyse the various interpretations of the work, which is where the reader's thought comes in.

Like, to make an overly-simplified example, Lovecraft wrote his whole stuff because he was a racist weirdo who had real bizarre ideas about lots of things; but his work can have dozens of readings, not all of which are racist.

You can dissect and criticise a work and, separately, the authorial intent behind that work, without having the two come into conflict. Of course that becomes a bit difficult when you have living authors who are actively hateful (gently caress you Rowling and Scott Card), but them's the breaks.

(And the "I put more thought into this than the author" was meant to be a kind of self-deprecating "I put way too much thought into this" anyway.)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_monster_wants_to_eat_me_ch08#1

I feel like if A Monster Wants To Eat Me has it so that it turns out Miko just wanted to eat Hinako the entire time it'd make for a really unsatisfying twist.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's not really the vibe i'm getting from it so I don't expect that's where it'll go.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, like having two characters whose thing is protecting her from monsters until she ripens would be too redundant. She probably has a different motivation

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1644150/OshiRabu_Waifus_Over_Husbandos_Loveordie/

the sequel we all have been waiting for

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

Haven't played the first but it looks cute.

I need a PC that can actually play games. :smith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean its a vn, how bad is your computer?

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
4 GB of RAM :(

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'd be surprised if that wasn't more than enough for most VNs, including recent/modern ones.

Like, I'm pretty sure you could run something like Flowers on a particularly nice calculator.

Waci fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 27, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
minimum reqs for oshirabu list it as needing 2gb

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah and often times the minimums tend to be over estimations, you are likely fine. the first game has a demo, you can try that

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
I think I will

thanks fren uwu

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
then also play lady in the mystery

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
*adds to wishlist*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
can't remember if this was ever posted here
two OLs who live together do "challenges" together (the quotes might make it sound like im talking about a sex thing im not)

latest chapter contextualizes things. like i thought she was gay but lol at her being out before the series started

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
does anyone have that promotional art for zls where all of the girls are wearing the trans pride colors?

i know i've seen it but i can't find it

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

Willo567 posted:

does anyone have that promotional art for zls where all of the girls are wearing the trans pride colors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV0edD_Gsw8

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

new chapter

also new thing.
woman gets job photoshopping sex workers. there isn't really much of anything here yet. not as nsfw as that description makes it sound.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Snooze Cruise posted:

also new thing.
woman gets job photoshopping sex workers. there isn't really much of anything here yet. not as nsfw as that description makes it sound.

So are we in agreement that the old guy is 100% yakuza?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Good news, I found them. Turns out it was seven separate illustrations, and you could get one with the ZLS Franchouchou The Best CD

https://twitter.com/7_netshopping/status/1176828700962148360

I love these girls so loving much

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It pains me how citrus plus is about yuzu and Mei and not harumi and matsuri

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I spoke to Yabuki-sensei when I was overseas in Japan shortly before Ayakashi Triangle's debut and he told me this:
"I am close friends with many trans women and what I have realized is that they don't want media that gives a simple portrayal of the trans experience meant to show a mostly non trans audience a positive moral about accepting trans people. They find it at best boring and at worst patronizing. What trans women want is media about having a horny cis girlfriend who owns a cat and tries to make them wear sexy lingerie even though they're most comfortable in sweats and tanktops. I only hope I can meet their expectations."

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

DisDisDis posted:

I spoke to Yabuki-sensei when I was overseas in Japan shortly before Ayakashi Triangle's debut and he told me this:
"I am close friends with many trans women and what I have realized is that they don't want media that gives a simple portrayal of the trans experience meant to show a mostly non trans audience a positive moral about accepting trans people. They find it at best boring and at worst patronizing. What trans women want is media about having a horny cis girlfriend who owns a cat and tries to make them wear sexy lingerie even though they're most comfortable in sweats and tanktops. I only hope I can meet their expectations."

🙏🙏🙏

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
It's all true, every word of it.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The Two of Them Are Pretty Much Like This continues to be good with the inclusion of trans stuff :3

https://mangadex.org/chapter/7a5b324a-a4f2-4f26-bb40-a252939f0014/7

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Acerbatus posted:

It pains me how citrus plus is about yuzu and Mei and not harumi and matsuri

WAit citrus plus? Did I miss a sequel series to my favorite trash?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

WAit citrus plus? Did I miss a sequel series to my favorite trash?

Apparently! Its been going on for like a year.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/living_with_my_brothers_wife_ch100

Shino you fool, kiss her!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its fine, im sure the next 100 chapters are going to be nothing but them making out