Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
This thread is about hockey. I figure at this point we're far enough into the Olympics that if someone wanted to make an official thread with real effort for a sport they love it'd already be here.

Now, because of people's failure, it's up to the likes of me to make certain threads. I have limbered up, stretched and readied myself, and I am ready to jump on whatever bandwagon passes me by. Specifically, in this case, the Irish hockey bandwagon.

The Irish women came second in a world cup a few years back. The Dutch are (I think) by far the best team in the world, definitely in women's event, possibly in the men's.

What I know about hockey, in some countries, is that it's a lowkey middle class sport. Typically played in schools that wanted their students to do things like drink pints, vomit up the pint, then drink the vomit-pint while the rest of the team cheered them on. They, however, didn't want to expose their players to the dangers of big thick blokes like in rugby, so they gave them sticks and hard balls instead. In some countries they don't have a tradition of rugby, so the disgusting teams went naturally towards hockey.

Many of these players (at least in Britain and Ireland) would be doing equestrian events if it didn't involve getting to know the full range of personality in the horse industry (i.e. rural people, poor people, and people who gamble.)

I say all this, to be dismissive of hockey, but the Olympics are a time to put aside your cultural biases and cheer for anyone from your country who has the possibility of winning something. Like I said, I'm jumping on a bandwagon, and oh boy am I read to jump.

For the North American people, this isn't played on ice. But it is still called "hockey." The hockey you watch is called "ice hockey." Much like the football you play isn't called football (proper football is gaelic football, aka "football.") Some people think football is the kind of football called soccer, and this may have some truth. The bigger truth, however, is the football you Americans play is called American football.

Now I've written enough to distract you from knowing nothing about hockey with my brand of idiocy, let's go jolly hockey sticks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
A big old nervy start for Ireland against India who are both competing for the fourth qualifying spot. The Indians have come roaring out, and no matter how much the commentator says the Indians tail off in the third quarter, I have a feeling that was against really good teams.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Ireland looking incredibly nervy. India dominating everywhere but on the score line. Ireland look like they're afraid of not performing and making mistakes so they're not performing and making mistakes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
this is a bullshit sport because left-handed sticks are illegal

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
hockey is played on ice.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
GB men's game against the Netherlands yesterday was a bum clencher, score to tie the game with 4 mins left and then close it out by defending four penalty corners

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

heehee posted:

hockey is played on ice.

"in North America, it's predominantly called field hockey to differentiate it against ice hockey"

we're talking Olympics and that means taking people at what they call it. hockey, field hockey, whatever is good.

I watched part of Japan against Argentina yesterday, and as not somebody super familiar with the sport (I didn't live in the part of the U.S. where it's most popular) it was definitely something different and interesting. Sticks only allowed to be right handed is weird too.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

GB are currently beating Belgium and it's getting a little bit fiesty. One of the British players just absolutely smashed a Belgian player in the face.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Very polite of GB to give up their referral a few mins before the ref hosed up a call on a blatant goal

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

GB getting robbed here

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Never mind! :toot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Our hockey teams are both looking pretty solid. I doubt we'll get a gold this time but I think a silver or bronze is definitely doable

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol GB and Belgium have decided to settle for a draw with 5 minutes to go and have just stopped playing

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

heehee posted:

hockey is played on ice.

True https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luNe71zySL8

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

heehee posted:

hockey is played on ice.

That's ice hockey

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

heehee posted:

hockey is played on ice.

:hmmyes:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they have umpire cam lol

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oh look we can win SOME penalty shootouts

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Disappointing quartef final exit for the Hockeyroos, but excitement for the Kookaburras making the gold medal match, I was able to watch a quarter during my break at work

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why does Australia give every one of its sports teams a dumb name?

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
When did the game move to artificial turf?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

its cool as gently caress that this is live at a watchable time on the east coast and this poo poo still gets tape delayed. Only loving way I can watch this is with a cable provider and then through NBC's stupid loving site. God loving drat these cocksuckers. I loving hate NBC.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

This sorry rear end loving country has 20 million loving channels and only two are allowed to play Olympics poo poo at any given time. And one of the few loving sports I want to watch gets shoved to the side so they can play equestrian show jumping or whatever poo poo for the fourth loving time that day. How does march madness get 30 loving channels to play all the games at the same time and this poo poo gets nothing. Why can't NBC sub sell the rights to some of the other sports to other loving channels so we can get more poo poo getting played loving live. gently caress. gently caress peacock. gently caress NBC.

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Rarity posted:

Why does Australia give every one of its sports teams a dumb name?

Trying to keep up with New Zealand?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_national_team_nomenclature_based_on_the_%22All_Blacks%22

Kallikaa posted:

When did the game move to artificial turf?

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_hockey#Playing_surface

Playing surface

Historically the game developed on natural grass turf. In the early 1970s, "synthetic grass" fields began to be used for hockey, with the first Olympic Games on this surface being held at Montreal in 1976. Canadian Organizer, Peter Buckland, from Vancouver, is credited with convincing the International Hockey Fédération(FIH) to accept Artificial Turf at the Montreal Games. Synthetic pitches are now mandatory for all international tournaments and for most national competitions. While hockey is still played on traditional grass fields at some local levels and lesser national divisions, it has been replaced by synthetic surfaces almost everywhere in the western world. There are three main types of artificial hockey surface:[25][26][27]

Unfilled or water based – artificial fibres that are densely packed for stabilisation, requires irrigation or watering to avoid pitch wear

Dressed or sand dressed – artificial fibres can be less densely packed and sand supports the fibres for part of the pile depth

Filled or sand filled – artificial fibres can be longer and less densely packed and sand supports the fibres for 100% of the pile depth

Since the 1970s, sand-based pitches have been favoured as they dramatically speed up the game. However, in recent years there has been a massive increase in the number of "water-based" artificial turfs. Water-based synthetic turfs enable the ball to be transferred more quickly than on sand-based surfaces. It is this characteristic that has made them the surface of choice for international and national league competitions. Water-based surfaces are also less abrasive than sand-based surfaces and reduce the level of injury to players when they come into contact with the surface. The FIH are now[when?] proposing that new surfaces being laid should be of a hybrid variety which require less watering. This is due to the negative ecological effects of the high water requirements of water-based synthetic fields. It has also been stated that the decision to make artificial surfaces mandatory greatly favoured more affluent countries who could afford these new pitches.[28]

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
^^ Ty ty

Wondering if there's any holdouts pining for the grass version? I feel like I'd bring it up if i ever met an hockey player: "Yes hockey, I like the real version - played on grass. Might as well have the players on rollerblades these days."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

At least the Kiwis picked a theme and stuck with it.