Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

never remember seeing a 4700 page goldmined thread before

yeah it's kinda weird. i guess people will understand that it's the last 20 pages or so but hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

now i have almost 30 pages of goldmined posts

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

brewing an industrial silo of coffee and cracking my knuckles as i sit down for the 4k-page wonder that is cjs
i must not miss a post, lest the joke go over my head

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

go to bed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag posted:

brewing an industrial silo of coffee and cracking my knuckles as i sit down for the 4k-page wonder that is cjs

i read every post in that thread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hbag posted:

g2b and if you gently caress w a lisp at least dont gently caress w emacs lisp, the second grodiest lisp in common use. the first bein autocad lisp lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i dont plan on loving with lisp since this thing worked just fine when i was using doom emacs
but i then decided to try rolling my own config because doom emacs isnt that great in some regards

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

every time someone mentions doom emacs I'm disappointed it's not text editing through blasting cacodemons

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

every time someone mentions doom emacs I'm disappointed it's not text editing through blasting cacodemons

so was i when i installed it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag posted:

so was i when i installed it

what time do you plan to go to bed

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

what time do you plan to go to bed

either noon or whenever i get weechat.el working

or earlier if my eyes start to feel any heavier

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

You know what don't go to bed.

This is the time of your life you're going to have time and energy for this sort of tomfoolery. Once you get a job you'll either hate computers and the hipsters that touch them, or you won't have the patience to monkey around with code curated by some rear end in a top hat with strong opinions on the internet after hours, or both.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im going to skin this fucker alive

"yeah lets just name the package 1 loving character that cant possibly go wrong"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c music s: thinking of getting one of those neat USB/MIDI keyboards so I can do drum tracks and synth stuff in ableton or whatever and then record guitar over top of it. wonder if a 25-key is enough or if I should spend more money and get two more octaves

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

WHY? why do you have to do that for EACH INDIVIDUAL SERVER? surely not having to do that, and having a synced server list between devices, is PART OF THE loving POINT OF USING A BOUNCER IN THE FIRST PLACE

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the bouncer remembers what you add to it and automatically reconnects in case of an outage of some sort

I have a znc instance running on a cheap $5/month linode. I also use `irssi localhost` in tmux on it to connect through it, even though realistically I don't *need* the bouncer. it's more for just in case I end up finding a distinctly non-lovely iOS client that has proper znc support really

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

the bouncer remembers what you add to it and automatically reconnects in case of an outage of some sort

I have a znc instance running on a cheap $5/month linode. I also use `irssi localhost` in tmux on it to connect through it, even though realistically I don't *need* the bouncer. it's more for just in case I end up finding a distinctly non-lovely iOS client that has proper znc support really

i have no idea what youre saying
the bouncer is already connected to several servers, yes, which is why im frustrated about how i THEN have to ALSO tell my local client to connect to those servers, instead of just being able to connect to the relay and having it auto-fill the server list

oh, wait, the "weechat protocol" does that, but there's only ONE loving CLIENT THAT USES IT, FOR loving ANDROID
GOD

how can something have this much documentation and absolutely loving nothing that uses it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oh yeah

so basically the bouncer is a relay and what it relays depends on what username/password combo you send it when connecting. the reason each server on the bouncer is a different "server" on your client is because each server on the bouncer is a totally separate IRC connection as far as both irssi and the bouncer are concerned. why is this the case? because it's simple and straightforward.

basically IRC is a late 80s/early 90s protocol and nobody's come up with anything better that's still as simple since then, we've just layered poo poo like SSL on top of it to make it less prone to being pwned by your unfriendly neighbourhood mossad or whatever

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

oh yeah

so basically the bouncer is a relay and what it relays depends on what username/password combo you send it when connecting. the reason each server on the bouncer is a different "server" on your client is because each server on the bouncer is a totally separate IRC connection as far as both irssi and the bouncer are concerned. why is this the case? because it's simple and straightforward.

basically IRC is a late 80s/early 90s protocol and nobody's come up with anything better that's still as simple since then, we've just layered poo poo like SSL on top of it to make it less prone to being pwned by your unfriendly neighbourhood mossad or whatever

that... isn't what i was saying at all.

also, i found this which seems to do what i want but lol of course after running the install script i cant figure out how to launch the loving thing
not in my start menu, no icons anywhere, the only *.exe is in the python scripts directory and does nothing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cls: ground floor

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have a job

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

got it working
had to go to some dude's PR repo since the maintainers of the main repo arent doing poo poo apparently
it's stuck in light theme because the entire preferences menu hasnt been implemented yet but im not gonna fuckin look a gift horse in the mouth

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

g2b and if you gently caress w a lisp at least dont gently caress w emacs lisp, the second grodiest lisp in common use. the first bein autocad lisp lol

im extremely not delighted to learn that “autocad lisp” is a legitimate phrase

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cls: ground floor

First floor, technically

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im extremely not delighted to learn that “autocad lisp” is a legitimate phrase

fucken same :stonk:

and here I thought maxscript was bad

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

not sure if my pc is just old or if windows 10 loving sucks because i went into the settings to switch to system-wide dark theme and now windows explorer is entirely unresponsive

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag posted:

not sure if my pc is just old or if windows 10 loving sucks because i went into the settings to switch to system-wide dark theme and now windows explorer is entirely unresponsive

windows 10 is the worlds most advanced desktop operation system. can’t be that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

windows 10 is one of the best windowses and I will stand by this. 99% of issues people report with it are either not windows 10's fault or are their own dipshittery/belief that OSes should be perfectly tuned for them and them specifically out of the box

not saying this is your case hilbo

also go to bed or at least have a quick nap or something so you can make it to midnight and then do a solid normal 8 hours

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Kazinsal posted:

windows 10 is one of the best windowses and I will stand by this. 99% of issues people report with it are either not windows 10's fault or are their own dipshittery/belief that OSes should be perfectly tuned for them and them specifically out of the box

also go to bed or at least have a quick nap or something so you can make it to midnight and then do a solid normal 8 hours

if i got this working how i want it to be working i will slumber

i also want weebullet to notify me whenever someone says my nick but it isnt doing that and im not sure if its because i need to be subscribed to the channel or not

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

First floor, technically

no, it's 2nd floor here, but if the anglos are so depraved that they call it the 1st floor i might as well call it ground floor and stretch the exclusivity limits of the churners' club

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, it's 2nd floor here, but if the anglos are so depraved that they call it the 1st floor i might as well call it ground floor and stretch the exclusivity limits of the churners' club

why? is one an unlucky number in latvia?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ground and first are interchangeable but the floor above that one is the second

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

yeah, almost everything i get to hear described as "broken windows" does invariably come from "oh yeah i have 1345 BC windows 10 build with 874 registry fixes to de-Microsoft it, from u/KRISPY_KREME_MY_ASS, that i have optimised for gaming performance by removing unnecessary system services and running automatic overclock for cpu, gpu, and ram"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

buildings that remove floor numbers because of speculative investor superstitions or whatever are loving stupid and jurisdictions across the globe should make it illegal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

why? is one an unlucky number in latvia?

no, we just call the 1st floor what is termed ground floor in uk, so their 1st floor is our 2nd floor.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kazinsal posted:

buildings that remove floor numbers because of speculative investor superstitions or whatever are loving stupid and jurisdictions across the globe should make it illegal

the floor is still there, they just change the numbers. they aren’t leaving a big hole in the building

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

"ground floor" doesn't exist here as a phrase

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cinci zoo sniper posted:

"ground floor" doesn't exist here as a phrase

didn’t you just use it right now??? i don’t get it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
utterly trivial operations causing unexpected difficulties after pulling an all nighter is always, 1000% of the time, pebcak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

didn’t you just use it right now??? i don’t get it

was i speaking in latvian just now