Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've only seen the steel mug, unfortunately.

BUT! AmiAmi and other places are now taking pre-orders for the plush Radon, Mei's kaiju backpack, a miniature folding screen of the big painting of Godzilla and Radons vs. the Samurai, etc.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/search/list/?s_keywords=Godzilla%20Singular%20Point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp, I'm ordering the giant wallpaper of the Samurai vs. Radons and Godzilla painting. Only a couple days left of pre-orders being taken if you want to be insane like me and get one via zenmarket or something.

https://fanema.jp/93/g_sp

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's "Rodan"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Don’t be silly; mutant pterodactyls cannot sculpt for poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Don’t be silly; mutant pterodactyls cannot sculpt for poo poo.

I want you to know this is the sole reason I haven't called you out on this yet

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I don't want to ruin further jokes but I am anyway, for anyone who wanted to know, Godzilla's pterodactyl friend is called Radon in Japan. They changed it in English to Rodan to be different from the element, even though apparently the element is also called Radon in Japanese so they would have the same problem there?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

I don't want to ruin further jokes but I am anyway, for anyone who wanted to know, Godzilla's pterodactyl friend is called Radon in Japan. They changed it in English to Rodan to be different from the element, even though apparently the element is also called Radon in Japanese so they would have the same problem there?

Also you can't hold an international trademark on radon. You can on Rodan

Toho is very consistent and very legally insistent on their international names VS Japanese names, which is why you don't see people calling Mothra Mosura in the wild unless they are the most terminal of weebs. Or actually Japanese.

Godzilla/Gojira is the only one where they play around with it at all, but it still is firmly that Godzilla is the international name, Gojira is the Japanese name.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shiroc posted:

The first movie is also about miners digging too deep and being killed by a radon leak. No wait. I mean a giant caterpillar leak

Violator
May 15, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I’m thankful for this. Growing up I had a friend who was super frustrated that the climax of The Fifth Element didn’t involve boron. Broke his heart.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Burkion posted:

Also you can't hold an international trademark on radon. You can on Rodan

Toho is very consistent and very legally insistent on their international names VS Japanese names, which is why you don't see people calling Mothra Mosura in the wild unless they are the most terminal of weebs. Or actually Japanese.

Godzilla/Gojira is the only one where they play around with it at all, but it still is firmly that Godzilla is the international name, Gojira is the Japanese name.

Interesting that they did use Mosura in King of the Monsters for 'Titanus Mosura' even if they only referenced it the one time before switching to Mothra the rest of the way.

e: I think the subtitles for the bluray of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 ended up using 'Radon' the whole time. The subs across those double packs had lots of weird quirks though. Like the one for the first Millenium MechaGodzilla seemed to be an actual sub but the ones for the second were very obviously dubtitles.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 29, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

Interesting that they did use Mosura in King of the Monsters for 'Titanus Mosura' even if they only referenced it the one time before switching to Mothra the rest of the way.

e: I think the subtitles for the bluray of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2 ended up using 'Radon' the whole time. The subs across those double packs had lots of weird quirks though. Like the one for the first Millenium MechaGodzilla seemed to be an actual sub but the ones for the second were very obviously dubtitles.

Part of this is that those subs on GvsMG2 were themselves dubtitles as I recall, because the dub of these movies was done by an in house SEA dubbing team Toho had a hand in. Which meant that their pronounciations could sometimes be a little...weird. Rodan, while still supposed to be Rodan, was called something closer to Radon- but not QUITE Radon either. Like they themselves weren't sure.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hey check this out

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Violator posted:

I’m thankful for this. Growing up I had a friend who was super frustrated that the climax of The Fifth Element didn’t involve boron. Broke his heart.

:xd:

Edit: that poster owns

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
informing whoever owns the rights to "Warning from Space" that their copyright is being infringed upon

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gripweed posted:

hey check this out

Starro the Star Conquerer!?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Asterite34 posted:

Starro the Star Conquerer!?

Yep

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

informing whoever owns the rights to "Warning from Space" that their copyright is being infringed upon

They know

they know

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched War of the God Monsters! It's not very good!

I will give it credit, it's more of a movie than I expected. Not a very good movie, but it has the basics. Mad scientist, daughter, intrepid lady reporter who infiltrates the household posing as a maid. You can guess how all that works out. And if you can't, the little girl helpfully spends a great deal time of talking about how much she likes the maid and how much she wishes she had a mother. The Ultraman footage is incorporated... OK. Not great, but not as poorly as it could've been. And they even tried to get a sense of escalation in the final rampage scene. Which is hard when they're working with footage from like ten different episodes. And the scene where Seagorath summons a tornado and the little girl is holding onto a root until her hands are bloody to keep from being caught up in the tornado, and the reporter crawls over to her and ties her hands to the root so she can't let go, that was actually pretty effective. That scene worked better than I thought anything in this movie would.

But all that said, it's not a good movie. The character story is very cookie cutter and uninteresting, and the plot is weird. The scientist wants to prove his theory that global warming will release monsters. We see Verkokron and Bemstar smashing poo poo up, the scientist still wants to prove his theories. When the final rampage happens and monsters gently caress up an unclear amount of the country until the military blows them all up, the reporter says "Well, it looks like your theory was correct". And it's like, yeah good job. You helped no one and prevented no suffering, but at least your prediction of it that went totally unheeded was proven correct.

War of the God Monsters is in an unfortunate place. It's too competently done to be an entertaining mess, and it's not good enough to be watchable as a movie by it's own merits.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Kong, as he lays dying on the floor: You're letting them...build Mecha...

Godzilla: WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?

Kong: Stop...Mecha...

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

maybe on the ten thousandth version of that joke it will become funny again

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't think you use Hitachis on that end Big G.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I know, I know I’ve let you down…
I’ve been a fool to myself,
I thought that I could live for no one else…

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Big-G is a loving SELL OUT. Always has been.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That lady who got eaten by the landshark is getting destroyed by kaiju twitter tonight

https://twitter.com/larainenewman/status/1426707909937754112?s=20

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If you mistake cgi for practical effects, doesn't that mean the cg has done its work?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

drat 31 responses, totally destroyed

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Vintersorg posted:

Big-G is a loving SELL OUT. Always has been.

Hey he's got a son to take care of and the ex got a lot in the divorce.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally saw Godzilla vs Kong, via my local library. Fun, but a mess.

* Humans suck as usual. I can't remember the name of a single human in the movie, but I can tell you their personality trait. Because they're all one-note nonentities.

* The entire Hollow Earth subplot was all in the service of getting Kong a +5 Axe of Kaiju Smiting. Apparently they were able to just email the power source to MechaG. The Hollow Earth looked cool, don't get me wrong, but it was a complete nothing of a plot and they didn't do anything with the evidence that the Kongs were clearly once an actual civilization.

* Best fight of the movie, by far, was the fleet battle.

* MechaG was cool, I suppose, but suffered from only being in the movie for a few minutes before getting destroyed. Basically it was just MechaG wins. Then the humans sabotage it. Then Big G and Kong win. It felt very "Well we need a final boss, let's throw this in and be done with it" to me.

* It does amuse me that the Chinese military was nowhere to be seen when three kaiju were fighting in Hong Kong. Can't show the glorious People's Liberation Army getting its rear end kicked, I guess.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I had some fun watching that. As it's own nutty thing and whatnot.

I'd love it if Toho got back to making a bunch of fun ones with practical effects, crazy that we haven't had that since Final Wars 17 years ago. The Shin thing is a fun idea, Shin Ultraman etc as well, but I could use more in another flavor. Could do both, or even more if they want, unleash the G!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If the CGI is as well done as Shin I hope they do more like that, otherwise I'd love to see a return suitamation.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bring back regular releases of movies with suits. License the property out to more foreign studios, make more anime with different creative teams, let respected directors do whatever the gently caress they want. Let 100 Godzillas bloom

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I know, I know I’ve let you down…
I’ve been a fool to myself,
I thought that I could live for no one else…

Only Shin would sing this

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Singular Point is good because it has several long scenes involving only a phone screen scrolling through text messages being read out load.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The maker behind Gojiban likes my repaints I'm doing 🙀

https://twitter.com/g_zanika/status/1431704530362650624?s=20

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would really like Biollante to be released in the US again by somebody. I bought GvK 4k because it was on sale when I was in a Best Buy and now Biollante is back to being the only hole in my live action collection.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope not because I plan on retiring off the money from my bluray copy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm assuming/hoping that at some point we'll get very nice and expensive Heisei and Millennium series box sets.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'd be torn because basically I only want 4 or 5 of those movies. I honestly am not a big fan of most of them.

edit: Oh hell yeah- Toho has started putting up episodes of Godziban with English subtitles on their YouTube channel :c00l:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWENjwsFKNs

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah the Heisei ones are in general not good and I don't even like Biollante much, which is why I had sold my copy but now I have everything else and its just a hole in the collection. I do like the Millenium ones overall.