Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1418714049517211653?s=20

https://twitter.com/NewYorkStateAG/status/1418555604742942721?s=20

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1418723123076214785?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
And honestly, those cinnamon rolls were disgusting.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:wtc:

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1419178680480378883

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Holy Mary, what the hell?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Really doesn't seem like a coincidence a lot of the kids here are mentioned as nonwhite, from poor families and/or disabled, either.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1419010759200231428?s=20

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trying to read through this article made me too angry to finish, but if anyone strong than me was able to make it through I have a question I'd like answered:

What the ever loving gently caress was this "experiment" trying to prove exactly?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really doesn't seem like a coincidence a lot of the kids here are mentioned as nonwhite, from poor families and/or disabled, either.

From what little I read I agree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Part of that is probably those groups are massively over represented in the foster care population in general. Especially the poor one. Short of both parents being dead or in jail and there are no other adult relatives, it's incredibly rare for middle class or wealthier children to end up in foster care at all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Trying to read through this article made me too angry to finish, but if anyone strong than me was able to make it through I have a question I'd like answered:

What the ever loving gently caress was this "experiment" trying to prove exactly?

From what little I read I agree.

I looked at the scientist's wikipedia entry. He thought early sexual contact was beneficial for children and that there was nothing wrong with non-violent paedophilia.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
And some conflation between homosexuality and pedophilia I think. Yikesaroo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HopperUK posted:

I looked at the scientist's wikipedia entry. He thought early sexual contact was beneficial for children and that there was nothing wrong with non-violent paedophilia.

Thank you, I hate knowing this but I'm still glad you told me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to formulate thoughts on this article and failing to come up with anything but heartbreak for these kids and disgust for the men who used them. That is one of the most soulcrushing things I've ever read.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

That pedophiles could be used as undercompensated foster parents, because getting to sexually abuse their charges was their compensation for fostering.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That the best antidote to the brutal childrearing practices of Germany under the Nazis and their predecessors was to rear kids with love and affection. Paedophilic love and affection. Because the researcher was a paedophile.

It's a grimly fascinating story of how fascism can warp a country so badly that even their attempts to atone for it and do better can be fundamentally morally compromised... and of course the AFD are now trying to exploit the scandal for all they're worth in order to prove that the Nazis were right all along.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

That the best antidote to the brutal childrearing practices of Germany under the Nazis and their predecessors was to rear kids with love and affection. Paedophilic love and affection. Because the researcher was a paedophile.

It's a grimly fascinating story of how fascism can warp a country so badly that even their attempts to atone for it and do better can be fundamentally morally compromised... and of course the AFD are now trying to exploit the scandal for all they're worth in order to prove that the Nazis were right all along.

Wow if nazis could warp Germany so badly after world war 2 imagine how badly those same nazis could warp other countries they were sent to after the war.

Jul 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Also, the article mentions that the researcher believed that one of the ideological underpinnings of Naziism was a rigid insistence on sexual propriety and heteronormativity, and that changes societal mores on sex, including pedophilia, would help prevent someone like Hitler from taking power again. This belief may have been part of why this professor was able to get support from the government for his "project."

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Meanwhile the nyt is covering adult sex workers teaching a 13 year old how to do sex work as a form of mutual aid and support.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/23/nyregion/sex-workers-nyc.html

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Oh you hadn't heard of that one. It's been covered in the Epstein thread/Trueanon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

inferis posted:

Wow if nazis could warp Germany so badly after world war 2 imagine how badly those same nazis could warp other countries they were sent to after the war.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/themeredith/status/1418641819915673609?s=21 i mean ideally he would be a biathlon target if true

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Wow, I thought this guy would never see consequences

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1420133167864893440

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So Michael Che decided to repost a rape joke about Simone Biles. And the internet is rightfully pissed.

https://twitter.com/balleralert/status/1420864518150836229

That's one way to leave SNL, I guess.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

welp, weekend update about to have an opening

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Michael Che once had a lengthy meltdown on instagram because the hosts of niche leftist podcast mocked him and Weekend Update.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Michel Che feels pretty untouchable and if Lorne actually likes him and thinks he makes money then he is not going anywhere.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Probably going to be one of those "comics circle the wagon" to protect one of their own insisting that some people need to learn to take a joke. Something about making rape jokes is like catnip to lovely comics who insist that if someone can't accept that a rape joke is funny they're killing the art of comedy.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Alan Smithee posted:

welp, weekend update about to have an opening

I sure as gently caress hope so, but it's hard to see that happening. Maybe the fact that he's on the official Olympics network will add some pressure.

I'd also love to see some reflection from NBC and other outlets about their coverage of Simone Biles in the weeks and months before the competition, painting her as this unstoppable force but also constantly linking her to (and often asking her about) her abuser. I know she's tried to be open about her struggles, in part because that keeps USA Gymnastics officials from acting like Nassar was the only issue and his conviction fixed everything. But the coverage of Biles's experience often felt shaped into a fuzzy "look what she's overcome" sports story rather than actually taking a more serious look at how unsafe and exploitative a lot of gym environments have been for young women.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

deety posted:

I'd also love to see some reflection from NBC and other outlets about their coverage of Simone Biles in the weeks and months before the competition, painting her as this unstoppable force but also constantly linking her to (and often asking her about) her abuser. I know she's tried to be open about her struggles, in part because that keeps USA Gymnastics officials from acting like Nassar was the only issue and his conviction fixed everything. But the coverage of Biles's experience often felt shaped into a fuzzy "look what she's overcome" sports story rather than actually taking a more serious look at how unsafe and exploitative a lot of gym environments have been for young women.

not to be all “the problem is capitalism” but the for-profit media literally cannot cover a story or individual without doing everything they can to exploit them to their benefit and feed on their value, and doubly so for “genre” media like entertainment news and sports

framing everything as a struggle of the human spirit and a triumph of discipline and competition is all they know, asking them to do objective reporting is like asking a car to be a plane

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ok Comboomer posted:

not to be all “the problem is capitalism” but the for-profit media literally cannot cover a story or individual without doing everything they can to exploit them to their benefit and feed on their value, and doubly so for “genre” media like entertainment news and sports

framing everything as a struggle of the human spirit and a triumph of discipline and competition is all they know, asking them to do objective reporting is like asking a car to be a plane

yea i mean if success isnt a entirely a result of personal effort unaffected by material conditions, that would mean that a bunch of people have success despite their (lack of) merit & that obviously cannot be true

underdog stories are the fabric of the capitalist dream

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think child athletes shouldn’t exist because all of these stories sort of bury the lede that in order to be an 18/19/20 year old competing at the Olympic level, you’ve probably not had a real childhood in the first place and if you don’t win a gold medal then you’ve just got a very damaged athlete with basically nothing except a potential career in coaching the next generation of child athletes. These poor athletes are being forced to forgoe their goddam ADHD medications during the event, it’s a fuckin’ circus.

You cannot have mainstream outlets explore the exploitative nature of the Olympics because if you stop and even try to have the conversation then the transparency of how corrupt and hosed up the Olympics are becomes painfully obvious.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
What does any of that have to do with Michael Che responding to a really gross joke comparing a 24 year old athlete to noted serial gymnast assaulter Larry Nasser with '9/10'

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is roughly the 17th time Che has said some really dumb misogynist poo poo in public.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I think child athletes shouldn’t exist because all of these stories sort of bury the lede that in order to be an 18/19/20 year old competing at the Olympic level, you’ve probably not had a real childhood in the first place and if you don’t win a gold medal then you’ve just got a very damaged athlete with basically nothing except a potential career in coaching the next generation of child athletes. These poor athletes are being forced to forgoe their goddam ADHD medications during the event, it’s a fuckin’ circus.

You cannot have mainstream outlets explore the exploitative nature of the Olympics because if you stop and even try to have the conversation then the transparency of how corrupt and hosed up the Olympics are becomes painfully obvious.

Tell us what you think about Che's rape joke.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

deety posted:

a fuzzy "look what she's overcome" sports story rather than actually taking a more serious look at how unsafe and exploitative a lot of gym environments have been for young women.

I mean, I've read that at the end of the day, there's literally no reason for young female gymnasts to wear leotards, performance-wise.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Honestly, Biles taking time out at the Olympics, or Naomi Osaka opting out of pressers, and the criticism that followed, IMO is probably fuelled just as much by racism. It makes me wonder how Brodie Retallick's decision to take time away from the All Blacks in 2017 to stay with his wife after their baby son died prematurely would have been covered if he were a high-profile American athlete.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Probably pretty poorly considering how players have been treated when they skip a game to be with their wife at child birth.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its never wrong to call in sick

especially if you dont feel good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

its never wrong to call in sick

especially if you dont feel good

Actually it is a crime and everyone hates you for it and spends the entire day you take off talking about how much you suck.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ImpAtom posted:

Actually it is a crime and everyone hates you for it and spends the entire day you take off talking about how much you suck.

unless you personally made a promise to fix a specific thing, its not your fault if it doesnt get fixed on your sickday. its your bosses fault for not having any idea how to staff a workplace.

e: also your boss is —————————

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

thrawn527 posted:

So Michael Che decided to repost a rape joke about Simone Biles. And the internet is rightfully pissed.

https://twitter.com/balleralert/status/1420864518150836229

That's one way to leave SNL, I guess.

It must be rough for hacks when the only choice of material is "is black" and "was sexually abused"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mycot posted:

It must be rough for hacks when the only choice of material is "is black" and "was sexually abused"

Like in an "alcoholic at a bar" way?